PDA

View Full Version : Deep condition or hot oil?

Julescarm
September 22nd, 2018, 11:50 PM
I've done deep conditioning treatments and love them. But I've seen products for hot oiling. I've done coconut oil and recently fell in love with olive oil treatments after finding my fine hair was ok with it. I've wondered for a while, what is the difference between hot oiling and deep conditioning?

Joules
September 23rd, 2018, 01:09 AM
Oils give hair essential fatty acids, which make it more flexible and soft. Also oil treatments pre shampoo protect hair from harsh detergents and too much water. Oils can't moisturize hair, because they repel water, but the softness and flexibility you get after using them contributes to the overall "moisturized" look. Oils can cause build up, just like a lot of other things we use on our hair.

Deep conditioning treatments can provide your hair with protein if it needs it, moisture and fatty acids (if your DT contains oils). Also deep conditioners smooth the cuticles, make hair more slippery and have anti-static effect, thanks to cationic conditioning ingredients and silicones (the longer you keep the DT on your hair, the more conditioning agents adhere to your hair and make it look and feel more, well, conditioned).

paulownia
September 23rd, 2018, 01:12 AM
When you are using oils you are giving your hair an emollient treat :) that means shine and elasticity. Oiling the hair regularly will combat dryness, split ends and frizz.
Deep conditioning is supposed to repair the hair. The effect depends on what ingredients your treatment contains. If it has protein in it it will strengthen the hair and repair the damage ( from bleaching for exemple). The product with humectants ( glycerin, aloe Vera, honey etc ) gives hair extra moisture.

Alibran
September 23rd, 2018, 04:29 AM
Oils can't moisturize hair...

This isn't entirely correct. Oils vary in their ability to moisturise hair. Some only help to seal moisture in (or out) while others are moisturising in their own right. This graphic gives some examples.

http://wordsabouteverything.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/oil-for-hair.png

Other moisturising oils include sunflower, almond, apricot and argan.

Joules
September 23rd, 2018, 05:30 AM
This isn't entirely correct. Oils vary in their ability to moisturise hair. Some only help to seal moisture in (or out) while others are moisturising in their own right. This graphic gives some examples.

http://wordsabouteverything.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/oil-for-hair.png

Other moisturising oils include sunflower, almond, apricot and argan.

Moisturizing hair means giving it water. Oils are the opposite of water. It's clear as day, I'm wondering why people still associate those two things. The oils you mentioned are penetrating, it means they can penetrate the strands and nourish them with fatty acids and protect them from excess water, those oils don't give hair hydration. It's still amazing for your hair, but it's important to distinguish between those two things and know what your hair needs.

If your hair needs moisture, you need to use humectants like aloe vera, flaxseed gel, hydrolyzed proteins, etc.

Julescarm
September 23rd, 2018, 07:51 PM
This is interesting and informative. I absolutely love this site.

Dark40
September 23rd, 2018, 07:57 PM
I agree with paulionia. When you're oiling your hair you are moisturizing to keep it from drying out from split ends and frizz.
Deep conditioning if the conditioner has protein you are mostly repairing the hair. Now, there are a lot of deep moisturizing treatments out there as well. I do them both, and love them both.

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 23rd, 2018, 10:26 PM
I prefer deep treatments over hot oiling, unfortunately oils just cannot penetrate hair in the way I want!
Oil is nice for sealing in moisture, but 9/10 it does nothing else for me. Def does not moisturize, you need water in the hair to seal moisture in.
Thats the only way I benefit from oils. If oil just sits on top my hair, even with heat. The hair just doesnt do anything with it, it just sits on my hair.

lapushka
September 24th, 2018, 07:50 AM
I do both, I double condition, and in between do an oil rinse. I try to get the best of both worlds, and it has worked for me for 44 consecutive weeks right now! Almost a year of constant oil rinsing weekly!

Dark40
September 28th, 2018, 08:44 PM
I do both too. I use shampoo and conditioner. Then, after my wash I apply some type of oil. It's been working for me for many years. As long as I've been doing my hair.