PDA

View Full Version : Soapnuts? Natural surfactant made up of nuts?

LittleOgre
September 22nd, 2018, 10:20 AM
I just learned about soapnuts. Its basically these fruity nut looking things that grow from a tree. That you can use to clean... It's used to clean laundry, hair, and skin in india and the middle east. Thats amazing honestly. Mother nature gave us everything yet we have to make it more complicated than it should be. Has anyone used soapnuts? I want to try.

TarsusIV
September 22nd, 2018, 10:50 AM
Wow, that sounds really cool! Now you made me look it up. Turns out they're in the lychee family! Looks pretty interesting - I've never even heard of soapberries or soapnuts before.

LittleOgre
September 22nd, 2018, 12:51 PM
Do you think you might try it?

littlestarface
September 22nd, 2018, 01:08 PM
Yea it was huge here in LHC few years ago look in the recipe and henna section of the forum theres a ton of stuff about aritha and how to make it,peoples results etc.

Its mainly used in india a long time ago now majority use regular products now. In Persia people would use sedr to clean hair and in arabia and in Morocco people use ghassoul to clean their hair and body.

Its really cool to find out what people in ancient times used but I thank god for shampoo and conditioners now.

nycelle
September 22nd, 2018, 01:17 PM
Yea it was huge here in LHC few years ago look in the recipe and henna section of the forum theres a ton of stuff about aritha and how to make it,peoples results etc.

Its mainly used in india a long time ago now majority use regular products now. In Persia people would use sedr to clean hair and in arabia and in Morocco people use ghassoul to clean their hair and body.

Its really cool to find out what people in ancient times used but I thank god for shampoo and conditioners now.

I feel the same.

lapushka
September 22nd, 2018, 02:32 PM
There are soapnut threads on the forum already, I think (try and have a search, do search titles only).

I fear they might be more alkaline, and thus more stripping than a nice pH balanced shampoo, or even CO-wash (very gentle). I would go that route rather than go this way. :flower: But that's me. :)

Julescarm
September 23rd, 2018, 10:18 PM
I fear they might be more alkaline, and thus more stripping than a nice pH balanced shampoo, or even CO-wash (very gentle). I would go that route rather than go this way. :flower: But that's me. :)

Do you think they might have been diluted? Or maybe used on either just length or scalp? I'd like to check this out now.

lapushka
September 24th, 2018, 06:12 AM
Do you think they might have been diluted? Or maybe used on either just length or scalp? I'd like to check this out now.

I don't get the question? The soapnuts? The shampoo? The CO-wash?

I wouldn't touch soapnuts with a ten foot pole, it's up there for me with BS (baking soda) and the like. No way for me!

Joules
September 24th, 2018, 06:21 AM
I wouldn't touch soapnuts with a ten foot pole, it's up there for me with BS (baking soda) and the like. No way for me!

Me too. I don't get the whole "all natural" craze anyway. Arsenic is natural, it doesn't mean it's good. Store-bought shampoo/co-wash is so much easier to use, it usually smells nicer and definitely won't harm your hair.

MusicalSpoons
September 24th, 2018, 07:30 AM
Me too. I don't get the whole "all natural" craze anyway. Arsenic is natural, it doesn't mean it's good. Store-bought shampoo/co-wash is so much easier to use, it usually smells nicer and definitely won't harm your hair.

This exactly. Belladonna is about the most natural thing you can get - it grows straight out of the ground! - but it will kill you.

I do understand wanting to find more natural ways of doing things, I really do. If something doesn't need so much packaging, you know the constituent chemicals are automatically biodegradable, and it does the job you want it to, that's great! But I think a lot of people jumping on the crazed bandwagon can take it too far. Synthetic can be just as safe (or safer, in many instances) than natural.

LittleOgre
September 24th, 2018, 01:40 PM
Natural is great mainly because it feels more dependable you could say but I prefer clarifying shampoos. I just thought it was cool that it was a natural soap sort of that you didjt need to make chemistry out of to get lol

poli
September 25th, 2018, 12:23 AM
I have a box of soap nuts for laundry. It has a recipe for "shampoo" included. Boil 10 nuts in the 1l of water for 5 min and then use the cooled liquid as a washing solution. Pretty simple. I tried it once but it did not clean my hair enough, got greasy the same day. It is recommended for people prone to allergies.

Ophidian
December 21st, 2018, 09:08 AM
Soapnut solution is actually acidic. Here’s (http://thenaturalistsblog.blogspot.com/2012/11/soap-nuts.html?m=1) an example with ph strips.

It’s an option, you know? I wash with herbs because that is what works best for my hair, not because it’s some kind of “craze.”

Nineteenbirds
December 21st, 2018, 09:35 AM
After experimenting with several Chagrin Valley shampoo bar varieties, I've settled on their Soapnuts shampoo as my favorite - at least for now. I follow it with a vinegar and honey rinse and a few drops of argan oil. I love what it's doing for my hair. Of course it contains more things than just soapnuts. Compared with some other kinds I've tried, and with liquid shampoo, I have a lot less shedding in the shower, I can go at least a week between washings, and my hair feels strong and really fluffy.

MusicalSpoons
December 21st, 2018, 09:48 AM
Soapnut solution is actually acidic. Here’s (http://http://thenaturalistsblog.blogspot.com/2012/11/soap-nuts.html?m=1) an example with ph strips.

It’s an option, you know? I wash with herbs because that is what works best for my hair, not because it’s some kind of “craze.”

Oh interesting. I wonder if it's the same for all species of soapnuts?

(btw your link didn't work - it needs to be http:// not http// )

Ophidian
December 21st, 2018, 10:45 AM
Oh interesting. I wonder if it's the same for all species of soapnuts?

(btw your link didn't work - it needs to be http:// not http// )

Whoops, fixed :). That is a good point to remember about using herbs - there is variation as a result of preparation method if not product quality and origin. Species may be a factor as well, but I don't have specific knowledge on that. Herbs are certainly not for everyone! It just irks me a bit when conversations about alternative methods on the boards sometimes devolve into it just being a fad amongst people who are afraid of anything "unnatural". I personally enjoyed the challenge of coming up with a recipe that worked for me, and to this day find that it works consistently better for my hair then conventional products (which I also use selectively to treat my scalp issues).

CrowningGlory
December 21st, 2018, 03:39 PM
I tried soapnuts for shampoo and hated them. They didn't clean particularly well and they left my hair feeling stripped. I could have kept experimenting but it's hard to look professional at work with greasy hair so I quickly returned to purchased shampoo and conditioner.

On the other hand, I love soapnuts for laundry and cleaning. I've had less outbreaks of dermatitis when I regularly use soapnuts.

PatchouliSoleil
March 8th, 2019, 01:26 PM
I've been using soapnuts on my hair for about 4 months now. I put about 7 soapnuts in 2 cups of water, and boil it on low for a while (of course letting it cool before putting it on my head). I like to oil my hair pretty well beforehand, as it leaves it nicely conditioned after using it.

I don't much like the smell of it though - similar to ACV. I put essential oils in it and it leaves my hair smelling like them :happydance:

I've found that it's worked wonders on the health of my hair, as it's much less drying than the conventional shampoos I've used. I have been looking into other herbs to use though, as it doesn't seem to help my dry scalp too much.

Hairkay
March 8th, 2019, 01:38 PM
I use soapnuts, mostly for laundry and cleaning though there is the rare time I use it for hair. Getting them had nothing to do with the desire to be all natural and everything to do with having so few options available due to allergies.