PDA

View Full Version : Looking for any tips/advice I can get...

Goose
November 3rd, 2008, 11:03 AM
Hello, I am new to the board. My hair is not even shoulder length right now. I cut about 3 inches of damaged hair off. I am trying to start a "healthy" haircare regimen...I have thin, fine hair thats straight.

I have made the following changes so far:
1) I finally gave up blow drying my hair several months ago
2) I used to S&C every day....stopped that too. I wash every other day to every 3rd day (my hair doesn't get oily but it gets really limp) - I do "dry shampoo" on non-wash days...The CO made my hair soooo flat.. :confused:
3) I am trying to eat healthy and have started taking vitamins
4) I do treat my hair with Jojoba oil

I need help in these areas:
1) I airdry my hair but if I don't flat iron it - it is a frizzy mess - what can I do for this? Help me break the flat-iron cycle :(
2) Does anyone use styling products? I have no volume without any mousse of some kind...
3) My hair is not yet should length (it is in a Bob-style) so what are some ways I can style it?...It will not fit in a hair clip etc just yet..maybe a month or two
4) I take Synthroid for hypothyroidism and unfortunately it has done nothing to regrow hair that I have lost...My sides/temples are so thin...ugg...I have been taking it for years, so for me, its not just a matter of giving the medication time to relieve the symptoms. Suggestions on thinning temples?

Any suggestions/tips/advice are very welcome? What other changes can I make? My biggest challenges are thinness, no volume, frizz......are you jealous? :D wink wink

suicides_eve
November 3rd, 2008, 11:15 AM
for frizz you could try using aloe vera gel , or a alcohol free styling gel.

as for thinning temples you could mosey on over to the Monistat thread. many gals over there have used it for regrowth.

for styling : little clips, barettes, head bands are are favorites

Laila23
November 3rd, 2008, 11:16 AM
You can clip your hair (the front and top portions of your hair) together to create some volume while drying. The rest I would put in a bun or a braid. Depends on your hair type. My hair always dries less frizzy if I let it dry in a bun (takes longer, too) and I have straight hair also. Drying it in a bun, gives the front and top more body too.

Elenna
November 3rd, 2008, 11:19 AM
Hi Goose

Welcome to LHC. Some answers we have, others we may have, and some we don't have.

It it sounds like your hair needs to get away from the flat-iron to get healthy. Otherwise, it'll just keep getting dry and brittle becoming dry and frizzy. Meanwhile, you keep ironing it because it is dry and frizzy. It is an endless cycle.

Some of us use styling products.

What I do is CWC with a leave in and damp bunning. Soft hair behaves much better.

chrissy-b
November 3rd, 2008, 11:54 AM
I use styling products. I can't style my hair without them at the moment (I have new hair sprouting up that can't be contained with anything natural...yet). I use a little KMS paste and some alcohol free hair spray on most days.

My hair is frizzy too so I've been washing it in the evenings and then in the morning I use my BBB to style and that seems to tame my hair a bit. When it was shorter I would lightly mist and then put it up. It was easier to style that way, and it didn't look as frizzy.

When my hair was in a bob I styled it in two little pony tails, used barrettes and clips to make two little buns and often just twisted it up the best I could and contained the mess with bobby pins. You can do a lot of funky styles at that length and before you know it, it will be long enough to do a proper bun and a braid.

plainjanegirl
November 3rd, 2008, 12:10 PM
When my hair was too short for a ponytail I used headbands ALOT. I used to flat iron alot but I managed to step away and my hair is healthier now.
Oh and welcome to TLC!!!

Michou
November 3rd, 2008, 12:58 PM
I'm quite new as well, but I wanted to offer up commiseration regarding the thyroid thinning, my temples are thinner than I'd like for the same reasons.

I get more volume when I dry my hair up in a mini-bun (I don't have very long hair yet), and by finger combing upside down from time to time during the drying.

galleth
November 3rd, 2008, 01:41 PM
Hi Goose! Welcome!

Everyone has to find what works for them, but what helped me most with the frizz has been to
1- stop any kind of heat styling, of course
2- get off shampoo. The sls made my hair very dry.
3- give it time! Your hair need to recover, and you need to get rid of the damage gradually...

When I stopped using waxes, straightening serums and hairspray, I could see all the damage I did to my hair = frizz. But as time went by, it started getting better, and better. I also kept getting rid of the damage (by sacrifying any significant growth, yes) by trimming.

CO isn't for everyone, it works beautifully for some people, and not at all for others...

You're already spacing out your hair washings, which will help, and you're using jojoba oil, which is good, it'll help your dry ends. For styling, I know it's no mousse, but you could try a little aloe vera gel (I use the kind you can drink) to help with the shiny and tame the frizzies... and as someone else suggested, use butterfly clips to "pouf" your hair at the top while it dries to give it more volume.

Good luck! Be patient! :D

girlcat36
November 3rd, 2008, 01:56 PM
My hairs gets frizzier when it needs to be clarified.

meganb990
November 3rd, 2008, 02:04 PM
Everyone has to find what works for them, but what helped me most with the frizz has been to
1- stop any kind of heat styling, of course
2- get off shampoo. The sls made my hair very dry.
3- give it time! Your hair need to recover, and you need to get rid of the damage gradually...

Yes I agree completly Galleth!!

For frizz using conditioner only for cleansing has greatly reduced the amount of frizz in my hair and as others have recommended I would get off the flat iron completly it fries hair. I wish I could still flat iron my hair it looked better but I know how horrible my hair felt after repeated use and the burning smell that lingered after I used it. The jojoba oil will help as well be patient your hair will love you for it!

Magdalene
November 3rd, 2008, 02:09 PM
I actually S&C on a nearly daily basis, it's what works best for me.

I love two low pigtails on growing-out hair.

Vitalai
November 3rd, 2008, 05:28 PM
Hello! :flower: Welcome to the boards!

I highly advise you to stay away from the flat iron. The heat styling is damaging your hair, which could contribute to your frizz problem. To help with the frizz, I would suggest a leave-in on your ends. I am mixing my regular conditioner with some aloe vera gel, and that's really helped me. It makes my ends nice and soft. You can also use aloe vera gel by itself to smooth down flyaways.

I wouldn't recommend using styling products either. They just seem to mask any problems you have, and if you stop using them, the damage shows, therefore making you continue use the product. My hair used to be very thin and lank, because I used mousse and a supposed frizz serum, and once I got off that, my hair has increased its volume. Sometimes I sleep in a high bun overnight, and when I let it down I have very nice volume as well as pretty waves.

For styling, I would recommend hairbands, little braids, or changing up your part.

Kirin
November 3rd, 2008, 05:53 PM
There are just some times with those of us with fine/limp/flat hair, that using no styling products would be impossible. Healthy hair is nice, and the goal, but looking nearly bald does not bring up one's self esteem. Though I treat my hair kindly, I do NOT forgo styling products and occassional styling to look good (especially and in particular for events).

I have no qualms letting my hair air dry, and be flat and just stuck in a claw clip or something to do housework, watch tv, or get the kids from school...... but work is another matter, as is going out. Your hair will not be irrepairably damaged by using mousse, gel or occassional hairspray, the trick is "occassional". Use styling products sparingly and when you need them, not for every day hanging around days.

As for "frizz" forget the flat iron to try to tame it. it is only a temporary fix, and one that will in the long run make the problem worse. You may want to try deeper moisture treatments and home prepared "spritzes" that can smooth your hair down during the day to keep the frizz in check. You can do a search on the forum for Kimberlilly's Defrizz spray.

Again, not one thing works for all people, if your hair will cause you nothing but greif unless you use some mousse, by all means use it....... just make sure it doesn't contain damaging ingredients.

tina1025
November 3rd, 2008, 06:13 PM
Welcome to LHC :)

For thinning area you should use two drops of castor oil mixed in with 2 drops of any other oil twice a week. Massage it in your hair for about five mins and wash it the next morning. Not sure how short and thin your hair is but if 4 drops are too much then you can use one drop of each oil.

herbal shampoo will make your hair a lot softer and its very good for your hair so may be you can try using it. i have been using natural shampoo for about six months now and i love it. It costs me $5 and lasts for about 3 months.

backtolonghair
November 3rd, 2008, 07:44 PM
These are all good tips that you ladies have shared here! I'm feeling a little convicted myself about the whole flat ironing thing... I do admit I use it because my hair looks frizzy too, if I don't. :( I"m going to try to limit it's use and hopefully get off of it completely. My flat iron isn't as damaging as some of the others, it's a corolioss and uses infra red and ceramic plates.. but still it is heat and that can be damaging!

I don't really know of too many styling things.. so I"m not really a good person to ask about that... I"m trying to learn myself! lol!

I do know that good nutrition does help though. Eating alot of green leafy vegetables and fruits are good for helping hypothyroidism... also B vitamins, calcium/magnesium, etc... I have seen people improve with using kelp as it contains high amounts of naturally occuring iodine. You have to be careful with that as well too though, so you don't go the other way and end up with hyperthyroidism.. everything in moderation.

Blessings!