PDA

View Full Version : Sensible Hairstyles for Women over 50

Nightshade
September 21st, 2018, 10:26 AM
A friend sent this (https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/sensible-hairstyles-for-women-over-50)to me today and I thought you all would get a chuckle at it :)

-------------------------

“When you step over a certain age, you wonder what upgrades to make to your image so that you could look decent, respectable, fairly youthful, and not outdated. Women who are aging gracefully and try to look modern always admire everyone around.” — TheRightHairstyles.com

- - -
Procure a fine purple yarn and crochet yourself a wig as thin and fragile as your waning relevance in American society.

Wrap your head in spider webs and sit on your front porch throughout October.

Complete the following equation: Multiply the number of times a man validates your existence by making a pass at you, by the number of women over 50 on television who aren’t cast as a benevolent grandmother or evil mother-in-law. Keep this many inches of hair. Spike it, if possible.

Chop off your shoulder length hair, wrap it around your decommissioned womb, and return it to the heavens inside a paper lantern.

Look into prescription drugs that will automatically release your hair from its follicle prison at the stroke of midnight on your 50th birthday, so you don’t have to make a decision and can focus on cookie recipes and cribbage.

Enlist your grandchildren to squeeze out custom multi-colored tresses with their Play-doh Spaghetti Maker Deluxe. Put it on and laugh because infantilizing seniors is funny.

Keep the same hairstyle you have and use the time you’ve saved to reflect on how condescending and patriarchal it is to tell a woman to change her hair at a certain age.

squirrrel
September 21st, 2018, 11:19 AM
That’s great!

TatsuOni
September 21st, 2018, 01:27 PM
That's hilarious and great! :laugh:

Ligeia Noire
September 21st, 2018, 02:44 PM
That just reminded of this instance at work a few days ago.. this beautiful lady came in the door and I was instantly mesmerized by her beauty.
She was probably in her sixties. Tall, with a long white linen skirt and a nice bright blouse and my god... that hair... she reminded me of Sarah Labyrinth. With pure white hair. Down to almost her hips and all wavy. Fixed with two beautiful bejweled hair combs on either side.
So, of couse I had compliment her and chat about hair for two minutes. When she left one of my co-workers, a lovely smart and cultured eighty year old woman. Says to me "you know her hair was surely pretty but a woman her age should not wear her hair like that. She should have it way shorter or in an updo like you" I was not angry I like her a lot. I was just saddened to know regarding hair she was one of the others. I said
"well, I wear mine up all the time because I actually prefer it up and it gets in the way"...
getting home I was just thinking about it... how my mom always wore her hair up. She never wore it down after her 20s. My father says maybe once or twice in a ponytail that he recalls. She never gave into the unasked opinions and never cut it but this reminded me of so many things...just made me sad. And I have to admit even though I couldn't give two cents about what people think I should do. I do think twice these days before doing out with my hair down. And am always super conscious about it. Oh the existentialism long hair brings onto me...

lapushka
September 21st, 2018, 02:44 PM
Look into prescription drugs that will automatically release your hair from its follicle prison at the stroke of midnight on your 50th birthday, so you don’t have to make a decision and can focus on cookie recipes and cribbage.

Maybe it's all in good fun (and it is), but this sort of hit me the wrong way, for some reason. :(

neko_kawaii
September 21st, 2018, 02:55 PM
*snort* sending this to my mom.

Cg
September 21st, 2018, 03:24 PM
Chuckles from someone well over 50.

Glad to see a piece on this topic intentionally amusing, for a change.