PDA

View Full Version : Wash hair with soap containing chlorhexidine before surgery, how to minimize dryness?

lucid
September 21st, 2018, 08:04 AM
I have to wash my body and hair with soap containing chlorhexidine two times (evening before and morning of surgery) before surgery.

I'm not sure how to minimize dryness? I have to wash the entire length and I can not use cwc or any method using conditioners or oils before the soap. I'm not even sure if I'm allowed to use conditioner after (I will call them and ask Monday)? After that I can not wash my hair in a week...

I'm thinking of maybe using the soap, then condition twice? I don't have time to deep condition the morning of the surgery, cause I have to be there super early and I have to dry my hair completely as well.

I'm not sure how to wear my hair either? I'm thinking of a loose braid. The surgeon may have to take some sort of fabric from my scalp, so I can't wear anything tight. They will not be shaving my hair, and also said they would cut it in a safe way for the hair follicles, but there will be a 2 cm cut.

I'm anxious. If I have a plan for my hair at least I have something to focus on.

TreesOfEternity
September 21st, 2018, 08:49 AM
I'm sure you hair is going to be ok :flower: I honestly wouldn't stress over it too much, I would wash it twice without any other product as adviced and that's it.
You can plan what you will do after surgery though, like I don't know, which mask will you do to restore the moisture, a DYI maybe, or plan a pampering afternoon with some DT and skin care as well...

As for the hairstyle a loose braid sounds like the best option, so they can work comfortably and your hair isn't all over the place :)

MusicalSpoons
September 21st, 2018, 08:50 AM
Going by the information you currently have, it seems like the best way to prevent quite so much dryness would be to really baby it and moisturise, moisturise, moisturise in the days/weeks leading up to it, and then again after. Might you be in a position to condition/moisturise the lengths afterwards, without going near the scalp for the week you're not allowed to wash your hair? If not, perhaps after surgery (if you're physically up to it) you might be able to spritz then heavily oil the lengths to at least protect them against potential damage whilst you wait for the week to be up. If all else fails, there is the option to just keep it up as protectively as possible, concentrate on recovering well, then baby the heck out of it after that :)

Whatever happens, I hope the surgery and your recovery go well :flowers:

cjk
September 21st, 2018, 08:57 AM
It's surgery! I assume their goal isn't bouncy curls, but instead is surgical cleanliness.

Priorities!

This is your health. You don't want an opportunistic infection. Do what they say. It may take some time for your hair to recover afterwards, but it'll happen. It's shampoo, not battery acid.

MusicalSpoons
September 21st, 2018, 09:16 AM
It's surgery! I assume their goal isn't bouncy curls, but instead is surgical cleanliness.

Priorities!

This is your health. You don't want an opportunistic infection. Do what they say. It may take some time for your hair to recover afterwards, but it'll happen. It's shampoo, not battery acid.

Health includes mental health - OP's last remark was "I'm anxious. If I have a plan for my hair at least I have something to focus on." Absolutely taking no risk for infection is paramount, but nobody's even hinting to do that. Finding a way to lessen anxiety is good for physical recovery too :)

(BTW, your bouncy curls comment made me chuckle - with 1a hair, that'd be a miraculous result of surgery :laugh: )

TatsuOni
September 21st, 2018, 09:23 AM
I wasn't allowed to use conditioner or anything else after the "surgery soap". My hair got really dry but "survived". I just used tons of conditioner when I could wash my hair again after the surgery. But my hair was only around shoulder length back then.

As for a hairstyle, a braid might be the best option if they need to take something from your scalp.

cjk
September 21st, 2018, 09:30 AM
I assume you're going to be laying on your back for the surgery? You might consider something that leaves the back of your head flat.

My own favorite is double braids, so I wouldn't have to lay directly on top of a single one. Or maybe double space buns? The idea would be to get your hair away from the back of your head and keep it out of the way for the duration of them surgery.

embee
September 21st, 2018, 10:17 AM
Wash exactly as they say. This is important against infections. Braids are good for containing hair out of the way and minimizing tangles. You can work on conditioning and re-moisturizing later.

Fortunately with long hair you can hide a lot of greasies and such things. Just think if you had a "bob" - how awful it would look after days of no washing & styling! *You* will be able to put your hair up and nobody but you will know there is anything sub-optimal. ;)

Best wishes for surgery, good outcomes, and minimal hair troubles. :)

lucid
September 21st, 2018, 10:18 AM
I wasn't allowed to use conditioner or anything else after the "surgery soap". My hair got really dry but "survived". I just used tons of conditioner when I could wash my hair again after the surgery. But my hair was only around shoulder length back then.

As for a hairstyle, a braid might be the best option if they need to take something from your scalp.

Ok, then I'm pretty sure this will be the case for me as well, since we're both in Scandinavia. I would never do anything that would increase the infection risk, of course, and it makes sense conditioner isn't allowed, cause it said that body lotion or creams shouldn't be used. Gonna ask them just to be sure.

Good to know your hair didn't fall off at least :p

lucid
September 21st, 2018, 10:23 AM
Health includes mental health - OP's last remark was "I'm anxious. If I have a plan for my hair at least I have something to focus on." Absolutely taking no risk for infection is paramount, but nobody's even hinting to do that. Finding a way to lessen anxiety is good for physical recovery too :)

(BTW, your bouncy curls comment made me chuckle - with 1a hair, that'd be a miraculous result of surgery :laugh: )

Exactly, I would never do anything that increases risk of infection. :)

I have never been "put under" before, general anesthesia, and in addition I'm afraid of hospitals, needles and germs in general. So this will be a new experience for sure :p

Hahaha yeah :lol: made me giggle both of you!

lucid
September 21st, 2018, 10:27 AM
Thanks guys!

I'm gonna deep condition it in advance and baby it after.

Loose braid slightly on the side, since I will be on my back!

I'm not sure if I can do two braids. I don't know if I'll be able to detangle my hair at all without a lot of mechanical damage. The soap is super harsh. So if I do only one braid I only have to separate my hair into 3 parts.... but two braids would maybe be better to minimize friction at the nape. I usually get more tangles with only one braid.

TatsuOni
September 21st, 2018, 01:15 PM
One more thing ;) Be happy that you haven't dyed your hair red. Min ended up a faded combination of pink and orange after my pre-surgery wash! :p

Good luck with the surgery and your hair! :blossom:

lucid
September 21st, 2018, 04:19 PM
Hahaha that sounds lovely :p and thank you!

Arciela
September 21st, 2018, 04:23 PM
Exactly, I would never do anything that increases risk of infection. :)

I have never been "put under" before, general anesthesia, and in addition I'm afraid of hospitals, needles and germs in general. So this will be a new experience for sure :p

Hahaha yeah :lol: made me giggle both of you!

Aww I know exactly how you feel...I am similar when it comes to that stuff ; ; I get extreme anxiety with surgery, doctors and hospitals..ugh. Everytime I get surgery and get put under..I cry in the operating room, but then everything always ends up just fine :flower: It is very easy! They just tell you to relax..and before you know it you wake up and felt like you had an amazing nap!

I am getting surgery soon too and was wondering what is best to do with my hair before hand, since with mine I can't shower for 2 days. I usually just totally ignore my hair after surgery and it turns into a grease ball mess..and then after I wash it it comes out super nice.

lapushka
September 21st, 2018, 04:46 PM
Hope your surgery goes well. I would tough it out as well, and just do what is required, you can always baby your hair once you're feeling up to it again. Meanwhile the suggestion of 2 French/Dutch braids is a good one, if you have to be on your back.

lucid
September 25th, 2018, 02:42 AM
I'll not be able to french or Dutch braid my hair when it's not conditioned. The soap is like a super strong dish soap, stripping the hair completely. I'm probably gonna go with only one braid. My hair is so thin that I don't feel the braid when lying on my back if I just pull it to the side :)

I called them, and I can't use conditioner. But I can wash my hair after 4 days (yay!), if I get help so the bandages stays dry, and my boyfriend will help me with it luckily :D

One week left. It's a low risk procedure, I'm fixing my broken nose (both breathing and looks), but I'm terrified of the general anesthesia. My case was pretty complicated, so it will take 2.5-3 hours.... i have had such a fear of hospitals that I have put it off for over 6 years... it will be so strange seeing me with my old nose back (hopefully) and being able to breath through both nostrils again. :p

Doreen
September 25th, 2018, 04:27 AM
Wishing you a smooth operation and quick recovery, lucid! I know anaesthesia is scary but once you wake up it will feel like no time has passed.

Addy
September 25th, 2018, 08:44 AM
I'll not be able to french or Dutch braid my hair when it's not conditioned. The soap is like a super strong dish soap, stripping the hair completely. I'm probably gonna go with only one braid. My hair is so thin that I don't feel the braid when lying on my back if I just pull it to the side :)

I called them, and I can't use conditioner. But I can wash my hair after 4 days (yay!), if I get help so the bandages stays dry, and my boyfriend will help me with it luckily :D

One week left. It's a low risk procedure, I'm fixing my broken nose (both breathing and looks), but I'm terrified of the general anesthesia. My case was pretty complicated, so it will take 2.5-3 hours.... i have had such a fear of hospitals that I have put it off for over 6 years... it will be so strange seeing me with my old nose back (hopefully) and being able to breath through both nostrils again. :p

Good luck with your surgery. I was just watching BOTCHED yesterday and they always show a rhinoplasty surgical procedure. Drs are amazing at what they can do. I hope this helps you breathe better and you love your new nose.

I just had my foot reconstructed on September 5th. I got a plate and 7 screws and my second toe cut shorter. I get my stitches out in a couple hours. I am so ready to wash my hair in the shower and not in the kitchen sink. LOL

lapushka
September 26th, 2018, 10:34 AM
Good luck with your surgery. I was just watching BOTCHED yesterday and they always show a rhinoplasty surgical procedure. Drs are amazing at what they can do. I hope this helps you breathe better and you love your new nose.

I just had my foot reconstructed on September 5th. I got a plate and 7 screws and my second toe cut shorter. I get my stitches out in a couple hours. I am so ready to wash my hair in the shower and not in the kitchen sink. LOL

Oooh that sounds tough about your foot. Get better soon! :)

Good luck on the nose surgery, lucid! Keep us posted. :flower:

lucid
September 26th, 2018, 10:58 AM
That sounds intense with the foot Abby, I hope you have a quick recovery! And yeah, I'm not too concerned about the result, and I trust the surgeon and the team. Hopefully, the anesthesia won't freak me out completely... I made the mistake of watching a rhinoplasty procedure on YouTube...big mistake... oh well...

Thank you lapushka and doreen! And thanks for bringing reassurance about the anesthesia!

zashin66
September 27th, 2018, 10:47 AM
Hope all goes well with your surgery. You will be in my prayers. I hope that doesn't offend you as I am not aware of your religious affiliations. It is just the biggest blessing to you I know of. I'm going to have to have another surgery to take out a suture my body is rejecting. It has been draining for 3 months and then got infected so I'm on antibiotics for that. My health overall is pretty good right now how ever. Just get this one thing done and then expect to have current problem resolved. Will look forward to a picture of the "new" nose

lucid
September 27th, 2018, 11:24 AM
zashin66, I'm not religious, but your prayers are very much appreciated - thank you! Good luck on your surgery, I hope everything goes well for you and that there won't be any more problems for you. And now you reminded me to take some before pics of my nose, the old fracture can only be seen from one side, but it's still nice to have good pictures to compare.

I'm a bit freaked out that some people are aware that their breathing tube is getting removed when waking up...i hope I'm not...

lucid
October 2nd, 2018, 01:05 PM
Turns out the soap thing wasn't anything to be worried about. It doesn't seem to have stripped the hair of oils/conditioner. Even thought I have washed my hair twice with it, my hair still smells like conditioner and it's manageable (of course not as soft as with a regular wash). I made sure to brush out all the tangles pre-shower (I normally don't), and to not tangle the hair in the shower, and it worked out fine. I had to blow dry on hot today before surgery, and it still took 20 minutes to get fully dry. The surgery was early and my hair needed to be dry. It feels nice and soft now, and that's good, cause it's 7 days until I can wash it.

Anyway, everything went well. I was panicking pretty bad, but they were the nicest people and the experience was good. They gave me something to calm me down through the IV before the anesthesia, and it's funny to observe your mind going from flight mode and "i can manage this at all", to "I'm scared, but I can do this!" in just a couple of seconds. I don't remember them giving me the anesthesia, which I really wanted to, but I know approximately when it was at least. But since I have amnesia a bit before the actual unconsciousness, i didn't get the closing your eyes-open them and you're done feeling. It's fine though, it was a positive experience and that's the important part.

When i woke up after, they said they had never had a person wake up as fast as I did (I was supposed to wake up at that time, but generally people take a lot longer). It was funny, cause I could hear them "What? She's awake already??". And then they told me it was a record. :p

MusicalSpoons
October 2nd, 2018, 03:15 PM
Yay, I'm so glad to hear it all went well! :D

TreesOfEternity
October 2nd, 2018, 03:58 PM
lucid I’m so happy it went well! :flower: you didn’t have any problem with noticing them removing that breathing tube right? As you said you were worried about that happening and you woke up so fast.

lapushka
October 2nd, 2018, 04:04 PM
I'm glad it wasn't what you had dreaded, with your hair, and the part of the surgery itself (of course). When I had my key-hole knee surgery years ago, I was awake quite fast as well. The anesthesiologist said it wasn't possible, so I "bolted" myself upright to prove him, only to feel myself cloink back onto the stretcher. LOL!

Garnetgem
October 2nd, 2018, 04:59 PM
Glad it went well for you,a few years ago when i had surgery there were two others having the same before me(spinal surgery)yet i woke before them i was indeed very alert for someone just had major surgery,oh and they washed my hair in neat iodine,i had shoulder length hair and it stood on end and was all matted from laying down and the iodine,it was not a good mix!

Garnetgem
October 2nd, 2018, 05:03 PM
I'm glad it wasn't what you had dreaded, with your hair, and the part of the surgery itself (of course). When I had my key-hole knee surgery years ago, I was awake quite fast as well. The anesthesiologist said it wasn't possible, so I "bolted" myself upright to prove him, only to feel myself cloink back onto the stretcher. LOL!

Lol you wanted to prove it to him!

lucid
October 2nd, 2018, 07:17 PM
lucid I’m so happy it went well! :flower: you didn’t have any problem with noticing them removing that breathing tube right? As you said you were worried about that happening and you woke up so fast.

Thank you! No, not at all. I even asked them if I had been concious when it was removed, but they said no. I asked them since I realized I had amnesia, and didn't remember them even giving me the anesthesia. :p

My throat hurts tho, but that was expected and not dreaded, lol.

But one odd thing I remember from right when I woke up was a distant beeping sound and a nurse softly touching my shoulder and telling me to take deep breaths with my mouth. And that the machine was beeping because I didn't breathe enough. I first at that point became aware that the sound was quite lound and coming directly from a box next to me that was connected to my finger. And I remember I kept thinking that I was fine, and that she should go away :lol:

lucid
October 2nd, 2018, 07:19 PM

Thank you! Haha that is funny :D

lucid
October 2nd, 2018, 07:25 PM
Glad it went well for you,a few years ago when i had surgery there were two others having the same before me(spinal surgery)yet i woke before them i was indeed very alert for someone just had major surgery,oh and they washed my hair in neat iodine,i had shoulder length hair and it stood on end and was all matted from laying down and the iodine,it was not a good mix!

Oh, I'm glad I didn't get my hair washed with that stuff. I think that is what I had on my face, and my face is all sticky, so I can only imagine what your hair must have been like!

lucid
October 2nd, 2018, 07:26 PM
Yay, I'm so glad to hear it all went well! :D

Thank you!

(I'm sorry for so many messages in a row)

TatsuOni
October 3rd, 2018, 06:41 AM
Happy to hear it went well!