PDA

View Full Version : sandy waxy grains on scalp and attached to shed hairs

jaxtellerr
September 21st, 2018, 05:12 AM
I was googling about these grains and found old threads on this forum. HAven't seen any new threads so I wanted to start one. I have these sandy/waxy grains on my scalp and shed hairs for 6 months now. THey are also attached on shed hairs. Can this cause hair loss? That's all I want to know, my hair density hasn't changed in the last 6 months so fingers crossed. I really want it to stop. I have tried a lot of shampoos, including medicated ketaconazol shampoo. Currently I am trying a tea tree shampoo. Anyone have this or had this and found a solution to this problem?

Blondie Locks
September 21st, 2018, 05:39 AM
I’m sorry I can’t offer much help with this and I don’t know what you mean exactly by “grains” but I’m thinking that if you have been experiencing hair loss for 6 months, it might be time to go have a check in with your doctor. Some hair shedding is normal but it sounds like whatever is going on with you, is causing you some concern and you don’t know why it’s happening. Your doctor will shed some light and get to the bottom of what this is and what’s causing it. Good luck.

When you say waxy grains...sounds like the hair was lost at the root. It usually looks like a little bulb.

lapushka
September 21st, 2018, 07:01 AM
I would honestly go to a doctor (dermatologist) with this. It's hard to give advice on matters like this on a forum.

I have SD, seborrheic dermatitis, I used to faff around with products like you wouldn't believe just to get the flakes and the itch to go. And then my mom had enough and said I had to go to a doctor, ended up with a dermatologist who prescribed me Nizoral 2% (not 1%, but 2%) and it got better, but it's not a matter of using it one time and saying oh this doesn't work; you have to be consistent with something like this, and also use it the proper way, which means, lather it up on the head (after wetting the hair), then letting it sit for 5-10 minutes, then lathering it up more, washing the head properly with the suds, then rinsing. And repeat 2x a week until it's clear.

ETA: oh, welcome to the forum, BTW! :flower:

jaxtellerr
September 21st, 2018, 07:06 AM
I’m sorry I can’t offer much help with this and I don’t know what you mean exactly by “grains” but I’m thinking that if you have been experiencing hair loss for 6 months, it might be time to go have a check in with your doctor. Some hair shedding is normal but it sounds like whatever is going on with you, is causing you some concern and you don’t know why it’s happening. Your doctor will shed some light and get to the bottom of what this is and what’s causing it. Good luck.

When you say waxy grains...sounds like the hair was lost at the root. It usually looks like a little bulb.

Oh no, I have not been losing my hair. It's just that these grains are attached to shed hairs. My hair shed is like it's always been (even without these grains). around 60 a day. And by grains I mean, that it is like a capsule around the regular bulb. I can remove the grain easily. I believe it's hardened sebum.

jaxtellerr
September 21st, 2018, 07:07 AM
I would honestly go to a doctor (dermatologist) with this. It's hard to give advice on matters like this on a forum.

I have SD, seborrheic dermatitis, I used to faff around with products like you wouldn't believe just to get the flakes and the itch to go. And then my mom had enough and said I had to go to a doctor, ended up with a dermatologist who prescribed me Nizoral 2% (not 1%, but 2%) and it got better, but it's not a matter of using it one time and saying oh this doesn't work; you have to be consistent with something like this, and also use it the proper way, which means, lather it up on the head (after wetting the hair), then letting it sit for 5-10 minutes, then lathering it up more, washing the head properly with the suds, then rinsing. And repeat 2x a week until it's clear.

ETA: oh, welcome to the forum, BTW! :flower:

I have used nizoral 2% which didn't do much, and I don't have flakes but it's probably hardened sebum balls. Just don't know why it appeared out of nowhere. And thanks!

nycelle
September 21st, 2018, 07:32 AM
How often do you wash your hair?

jaxtellerr
September 21st, 2018, 07:38 AM
How often do you wash your hair?

every other day. However, my scalp becomes greasy the day after washing.

nycelle
September 21st, 2018, 07:43 AM
Sounds like you produce a lot of sebum and wax. Try using a massage brush when you're washing you scalp. It should get rid of all the wax.

jaxtellerr
September 21st, 2018, 07:48 AM
Sounds like you produce a lot of sebum and wax. Try using a massage brush when you're washing you scalp. It should get rid of all the wax.

I have always had an oily scalp, but these hardened grains are new. I just hope these grainsdon't cause hair loss. As I have it on my facial hair and eyebrows too. Btw I am male, hope that's okay xD. I'll try a massage brush next time. Thanks

cjk
September 21st, 2018, 09:08 AM
HI Jax. There are quite a few guys around here, myself included. Nice to meet you.

Two thoughts. What sort of shampoo and other products do you use? Some leave behind stuff that can build up, over time, so maybe you just need to clarify?

Second unless your hair gets dirty, not greasy but actual dirt, there is no need for most people to wash it every other day. Typically, our bodies overreact...you strip out the sebum (natural oils) and your body thinks your hair is dry and produces twice as much to compensate. There's an approach called stretching your washes which tries to get you to renormalize, but it takes a while and involves a change in mindset.

Welcome!

Reservechic
September 21st, 2018, 09:29 AM
I totally agree with lapushka! I highly recommend your going to see a dermatologist, for an accurate diagnosis of what's going on. Because, you're experiencing waxy grains is something that's totally new to me. You may very well have an actual scalp disorder that needs the right course of treatment to help clear it up. Because diagnosing scalp issues is extremely hard when you can't actually see a person's scalp and hair up close in person. I personally suffer with both scalp eczema and seborrheic dermatitis, which is why, I highly recommend going to seek out the advice of a dermatologist. Or, if you don't want to go to a dermatologist, you can always make an appointment with your primary care doctor, so that you can address this issue with he or she personally instead.

The only individual that can give you a most accurate diagnosis is a medical professional.

Doreen
September 21st, 2018, 10:04 AM
6 months is a long time to be dealing with this and could indicate some bigger issues, as others have said. Hopefully it won't be anything too serious, but it's worth going to the doctor just to be safe. It may seem silly because it's just hair, but our hair can reflect a lot of other things that may be going on within our bodies.

cjk
September 21st, 2018, 10:25 AM
A thought occurs to me. What else happened about 6 months ago? Did you move? Water hardness affects how products work. New job? Stress is a factor. And so forth.

Think out of the box.

jaxtellerr
September 26th, 2018, 04:44 AM
HI Jax. There are quite a few guys around here, myself included. Nice to meet you.

Two thoughts. What sort of shampoo and other products do you use? Some leave behind stuff that can build up, over time, so maybe you just need to clarify?

Second unless your hair gets dirty, not greasy but actual dirt, there is no need for most people to wash it every other day. Typically, our bodies overreact...you strip out the sebum (natural oils) and your body thinks your hair is dry and produces twice as much to compensate. There's an approach called stretching your washes which tries to get you to renormalize, but it takes a while and involves a change in mindset.

Welcome!

I have tried a ton of shampoos, all have the same results. Currently using a tea trea shampoo by petal fresh: sls free. No mine is just greasy, I know for sure.

I totally agree with lapushka! I highly recommend your going to see a dermatologist, for an accurate diagnosis of what's going on. Because, you're experiencing waxy grains is something that's totally new to me. You may very well have an actual scalp disorder that needs the right course of treatment to help clear it up. Because diagnosing scalp issues is extremely hard when you can't actually see a person's scalp and hair up close in person. I personally suffer with both scalp eczema and seborrheic dermatitis, which is why, I highly recommend going to seek out the advice of a dermatologist. Or, if you don't want to go to a dermatologist, you can always make an appointment with your primary care doctor, so that you can address this issue with he or she personally instead.

The only individual that can give you a most accurate diagnosis is a medical professional.

I will, it's just that I have seen more people post about it. I think they are just sebum plugs. This person for example: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=75972

6 months is a long time to be dealing with this and could indicate some bigger issues, as others have said. Hopefully it won't be anything too serious, but it's worth going to the doctor just to be safe. It may seem silly because it's just hair, but our hair can reflect a lot of other things that may be going on within our bodies.

I think it's just sebum plugs, but medicated shampoos like Ketoconazole (nizoral) and Selsun haven't worked yet. I might try t/sal like it is recommended in this thread: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=75972

A thought occurs to me. What else happened about 6 months ago? Did you move? Water hardness affects how products work. New job? Stress is a factor. And so forth.

Think out of the box.

Nope, nothing happened, it just started out of the blue.

Obsidian
September 26th, 2018, 04:53 AM
I wonder if a exfoliating shampoo would help? If it is sebum plugs, you need something to help loosen them. Or maybe a diy scalp exfoliation recipe, should be able to find one on google. Just don't use baking soda.

I would probably ditch the sls free and use a good strong shampoo. Some of us need sulfates to really clean the scalp.
I have seborrheic dermatitis and occassionally get plugs. When I do, its from not cleaning my scalp properly. I have to take time and scritch while shampooing to remove them

jaxtellerr
September 26th, 2018, 07:24 AM
I wonder if a exfoliating shampoo would help? If it is sebum plugs, you need something to help loosen them. Or maybe a diy scalp exfoliation recipe, should be able to find one on google. Just don't use baking soda.

I would probably ditch the sls free and use a good strong shampoo. Some of us need sulfates to really clean the scalp.
I have seborrheic dermatitis and occassionally get plugs. When I do, its from not cleaning my scalp properly. I have to take time and scritch while shampooing to remove them

You could be right. I think I'll try Neutrogena T/sal which has salicyilc acid to remove sebum. I hate these plugs when they are attached to hairs or even tiny baby hairs. I wonder why they are attached to them. Hope it's not causing premature shedding or hair loss. My hair density has stayed the same though since it started, so I'm happy about that.

Blondie Locks
September 26th, 2018, 01:14 PM
I have used nizoral 2% which didn't do much, and I don't have flakes but it's probably hardened sebum balls. Just don't know why it appeared out of nowhere. And thanks!

Didn’t do much for me either....and I used it for an extended period of time. In fact, none of the creams and shampoos I got from dermatologists over the years, worked for me. In the end, it was home remedies that were successful for me long term. Done with dermatologists.

I have sebborheic dermatitis on my scalp too but it went into remission for years. Now I have dandruff, sparked by some new medications I started taking, that cause skin sensitivities.

Arciela
September 26th, 2018, 11:25 PM
My BF mom has this same issue and when she started to use a really strong sulfate shampoo, it went away after a couple weeks..but she has to continue using the strong shampoo quite often.

jaxtellerr
September 27th, 2018, 04:58 AM
My BF mom has this same issue and when she started to use a really strong sulfate shampoo, it went away after a couple weeks..but she has to continue using the strong shampoo quite often.

Thanks for the tip! I might just go back to harsher shampoos. Would you say she used sodium lauryl sulfate or sodium laureth sulfate. The former is the strongest.

jaxtellerr
September 27th, 2018, 01:49 PM
If anyone else has experienced these plugs and has any other tips, please do share. Btw these are called sebum plugs (if the title is not clear enough)

mira-chan
September 27th, 2018, 02:30 PM
I get this hard sebum. T-sal does help periodically. Last I checked it was sulfate free too. Generic versions work fine as well.

As for what causes it, sometimes nutrition (check vitamin levels with doctor), water quality does affect this and I also keratosis pilaris on other parts of my body so this might be linked a bit. Oiling scalp at least 30 min before washing can help clear them from the scalp during a wash.

Mine is definitely not SD. My scalp and hair are actually dry. In my case water quality and state of overall health has the biggest effect. The sebum I produce is dry and just stays on the scalp. Washing more often just dries out my hair. I tried to stretch washes and that did no effect either other than make my scalp feel gunkier, with no visible difference, hair looked fine and dry even after a month. I wash my hair about once a week.

I have issues with SLS as it cause scalp itching to the point of bleeding, dermatitis of some sort. Can't use it for body and in toothpaste either. I don't think it's related to the hard sebum though.

lapushka
September 27th, 2018, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the tip! I might just go back to harsher shampoos. Would you say she used sodium lauryl sulfate or sodium laureth sulfate. The former is the strongest.

Pantene & Herbal Essences are just about the harshest on the market, containing both SLS & SLES. The Garnier Whole Blends should be milder with SLES & CB as surfactants.

jaxtellerr
September 27th, 2018, 06:48 PM
I get this hard sebum. T-sal does help periodically. Last I checked it was sulfate free too. Generic versions work fine as well.

As for what causes it, sometimes nutrition (check vitamin levels with doctor), water quality does affect this and I also keratosis pilaris on other parts of my body so this might be linked a bit. Oiling scalp at least 30 min before washing can help clear them from the scalp during a wash.

Mine is definitely not SD. My scalp and hair are actually dry. In my case water quality and state of overall health has the biggest effect. The sebum I produce is dry and just stays on the scalp. Washing more often just dries out my hair. I tried to stretch washes and that did no effect either other than make my scalp feel gunkier, with no visible difference, hair looked fine and dry even after a month. I wash my hair about once a week.

I have issues with SLS as it cause scalp itching to the point of bleeding, dermatitis of some sort. Can't use it for body and in toothpaste either. I don't think it's related to the hard sebum though.

Interesting, you say your scalp is dry, yet you have them too. I just hope it doesn't cause hair loss, other than that I am okay with it. Do you still have it or not? I've been using Petal Fresh Tea tree shampoo (sulfate free) for the last two weeks and it hasn't helped with the plugs or itch or oilyness. Guess I'll go back to harsher shampoos

jaxtellerr
September 27th, 2018, 06:51 PM
Pantene & Herbal Essences are just about the harshest on the market, containing both SLS & SLES. The Garnier Whole Blends should be milder with SLES & CB as surfactants.

Ok thank you. I'll check them out. I'll try T/Sal first though.

mira-chan
September 27th, 2018, 08:48 PM
Interesting, you say your scalp is dry, yet you have them too. I just hope it doesn't cause hair loss, other than that I am okay with it. Do you still have it or not? I've been using Petal Fresh Tea tree shampoo (sulfate free) for the last two weeks and it hasn't helped with the plugs or itch or oilyness. Guess I'll go back to harsher shampoos

Yes I still get them on and off. They haven't caused hair loss, though vitamin deficiencies did cause that. When I get them, I do scalp oiling to clear them. All of my shampoo is sulfate free but I got them with sulfate shampoo too, before I stopped using it. I remember having this issue since my teens, right about from the time the KP started up.

I hope the different shampoo helps you. If you have itching then that's more likely SD or some other irritation. The dry sebum doesn't make my scalp itch. It feels more like my scalp has a layer between it and the air so ... stuffy feeling? with dryness and tightness.

jaxtellerr
September 28th, 2018, 06:40 AM
Yes I still get them on and off. They haven't caused hair loss, though vitamin deficiencies did cause that. When I get them, I do scalp oiling to clear them. All of my shampoo is sulfate free but I got them with sulfate shampoo too, before I stopped using it. I remember having this issue since my teens, right about from the time the KP started up.

I hope the different shampoo helps you. If you have itching then that's more likely SD or some other irritation. The dry sebum doesn't make my scalp itch. It feels more like my scalp has a layer between it and the air so ... stuffy feeling? with dryness and tightness.

Thanks, the itch isannoying, so will have to take care of that as well.

Blondie Locks
September 28th, 2018, 02:10 PM
Thanks, the itch isannoying, so will have to take care of that as well.

For me, mixing a bit of peppermint oil into whatever shampoo I’m using, not only relieves any itching but also makes my head feel all cool and tingly. Plus the fresh smell is amazing. Just a few drops is plenty.

jaxtellerr
September 28th, 2018, 03:05 PM
For me, mixing a bit of peppermint oil into whatever shampoo I’m using, not only relieves any itching but also makes my head feel all cool and tingly. Plus the fresh smell is amazing. Just a few drops is plenty.

thank you, will check that out:)

Blondie Locks
September 28th, 2018, 03:51 PM
thank you, will check that out:)

You’re very welcome, jaxtellerr. Hope it works for you, like it does for me. I get my peppermint oil from the health store.