PDA

View Full Version : Hydrogen Peroxide...?

FallingDarkness
September 20th, 2018, 08:36 AM
My mom has been dyeing her hair as of late, but finds the upkeep *very* expensive and doesn't want to constantly be going to the salon to get her roots touched up. However, she apparently can't find the shade of blonde she wants over the counter, so she was thinking of using hydrogen peroxide to gradually lighten her roots to the shade she wants inbetween salon visits.

I know we are generally anti-hydrogen peroxide, but I was wondering if she could use this safely, or if it would get her the results she wants.

Thanks!

Anaconda
September 20th, 2018, 09:17 AM
YMMV, but she could look into a lightening spray (such as the one by John Frieda). Anything with peroxide will cause at least a small bit of damage, but if she takes care of her hair otherwise she should be fine.

lakhesis
September 20th, 2018, 09:45 AM
Be extremely careful with those lightening sprays! It's hard to make sure with a spray that you are bleaching one area only once. I ruined my hair with it to the point it started breaking off leaving only short pieces near the roots and I am still growing that out. I also found a lot of reviews online from people that had the same experience.

Doreen
September 20th, 2018, 09:46 AM
Try getting a 10vol developer from Sally Beauty. It's peroxide but it's kind of thicker and easier to control than the regular stuff from the drugstore.

lapushka
September 20th, 2018, 10:33 AM
If you want to lighten you need a developer + a bleach powder. I doubt a developer alone is going to do much. What is her hair color and what does she want to lighten to? Is it brown to blonde? Then you need the powder!

Ylva
September 20th, 2018, 11:43 AM
YMMV, but she could look into a lightening spray (such as the one by John Frieda). Anything with peroxide will cause at least a small bit of damage, but if she takes care of her hair otherwise she should be fine.

As far as I know, that lightening spray also includes peroxide (and is the only actually effective product in the line). The shampoo and conditioner of that line do not.

Arciela
September 20th, 2018, 02:20 PM
When my hair was bleached I used to just get the developer off amazon and wella bleach powder..think it costed a total of like 12 dollars and the bottles lasted for over a year. :flower:

Blondie Locks
September 21st, 2018, 04:58 AM
If you want to lighten you need a developer + a bleach powder. I doubt a developer alone is going to do much. What is her hair color and what does she want to lighten to? Is it brown to blonde? Then you need the powder!

I have a friend who just uses a 10 developer by itself to lighten her hair. She has dishwater blonde hair...kind of a very light sand color and it gets her to a beautiful light blonde, with practically zero damage. There are videos on YouTube of some women who also use developer alone, to lighten their hair. Depends on the natural shade a person is but it can work by itself.

lapushka
September 21st, 2018, 04:59 AM
I have a friend who just uses a 10 developer by itself to lighten her hair. She has dishwater blonde hair...kind of a very light sand color and it gets her to a beautiful light blonde, with practically zero damage. There are videos on YouTube of some women who also use developer alone, to lighten their hair. Depends on the natural shade a person is but it can work by itself.

I don't doubt that :) but what I said was when she was going to attempt for instance brown to blonde, it is going to take a lot more than that!

Blondie Locks
September 21st, 2018, 05:07 AM
Be extremely careful with those lightening sprays! It's hard to make sure with a spray that you are bleaching one area only once. I ruined my hair with it to the point it started breaking off leaving only short pieces near the roots and I am still growing that out. I also found a lot of reviews online from people that had the same experience.

You couldn’t be more RIGHT!

Many years ago, like when I was maybe 15 or so, I used that lightening spray called Sun-In and OMG it fricken fried my hair! I was in absolute tears. Oh it lightened my hair alright but it morphed into a bunch of lightened frizz! :blueeek:

Never Again!

I didn’t even need lightening but my friend told me it would give me pretty highlights. I had nothing but regret.

Blondie Locks
September 21st, 2018, 05:14 AM
I don't doubt that :) but what I said was when she was going to attempt for instance brown to blonde, it is going to take a lot more than that!

All depends on what shade she’s going for I guess and what her natural shade is...she never really said. If she wants platinum...yup..she will likely need some bleach...but if she’s dishwater blonde like my friend, she may like the results of just using a developer. No damage. I think my friend also uses something called olaplex to lessen any damage even further. Her hair is as smooth as silk.

lapushka
September 21st, 2018, 07:09 AM
All depends on what shade she’s going for I guess and what her natural shade is...she never really said. If she wants platinum...yup..she will likely need some bleach...but if she’s dishwater blonde like my friend, she may like the results of just using a developer. No damage. I think my friend also uses something called olaplex to lessen any damage even further. Her hair is as smooth as silk.

That would be a great idea to add to the mix!