PDA

View Full Version : Clarifying shampoo every wash?

LittleOgre
September 18th, 2018, 03:54 PM
Just wondering how many of you clarify your hair every wash. I always clarify my hair twice, follow up with a moisturizing shampoo and maybe a rinse or a light oil. I just don't see moisturizing shampoos as something that cleans properly. I have to feel a squeak to feel clean personally. Probably not healthy. How do you wash your hair? What do you use? and what do you do after? Any other details would be appreciated. xD

Ylva
September 18th, 2018, 04:01 PM
I really don't think it's in any way necessary to cleanse your scalp as vigorously as you do. If you don't have any medical condition that requires you to do so, it's probably causing more harm than good. A clean scalp does not equal a healthy scalp. The more vigorously you remove oils from your scalp, the more your scalp will produce it, generally speaking. Our hair can really use those natural oils produced by the scalp. Your scalp can be clean without being squaky clean.

I've mentioned a part of this in your other thread(s) already, but I guess I'll put it here as well. So, I usually wash with sulfate free, very natural shampoo. I wash my roots and scalp only. After that, I squeeze the excess water out of my air and towel dry it, gently squeezing with a microfibre towel. Then I apply the first conditioner, which is a light, natural, silicone free, slightly hydrating but very detangling conditioner. I let that sit in my hair for 5-10 minutes. I rinse that out, dry my hair the same way as the first time and apply a thicker conditioner, which is actually a hair mask. It contains protein, but no silicones. I let that sit for 5-10 minutes as well, rinse it out, squeeze my hair and towel dry it, then let it air dry. I'm currently looking into viable leave-in options.

I clarify once in two or three weeks. It would never cross my mind to use clarifying shampoo every wash. I wash twice a week.

Dante
September 18th, 2018, 04:11 PM
I do use a clarifying shampoo for every wash. I only wash weekly, and when I do I just shampoo once (& not terribly vigorously, to be honest), then condition. It just seems to work for my hair and the kind of water we have where I live.

Interestingly, I find I don’t need to use a clarifying shampoo when in places with different water - when in the uk for a few months, I found a basic (non-clarifying) shampoo gave the same result; same with some travel in Asia.

I think it really just depends on your hair and situation; what’s right for one person may or may not be right for someone else.

LittleOgre
September 18th, 2018, 04:14 PM
Have you ever thought of buying a new shower system. Maybe its the hard water.

ursaV
September 18th, 2018, 04:17 PM
I clarify once a week on Saturday, but only because I get my hair wet in a pool and I need a good cleanse to get the chemicals out. Most of the time I only wash my hair then, but if I'm going somewhere mid week I'll wash with a sulfate free shampoo bar. If it wasn't for the pool I wouldn't clarify regularly at all because my water is very soft and I don't use any styling products :) I also do not use any conditioners, just some oils.

ETA: too quick to hit respond! Why do you feel like you're not getting clean enough? Is your scalp very oily? Seems like you're using up a lot of shampoo! I noticed when I got used to stretching washes my scalp's oils got used to it and now I only noticed a little grease around day three. Sebum isn't necessarily bad for your scalp, in fact I notice it protects my hair quite well.

Hmmm, the hard water could definitely play a role. There's nothing wrong with sulfates but I would stick to just one wash with a shampoo that doesn't specifically indicate "clarifying" on it and the condition.

nycelle
September 18th, 2018, 04:41 PM
I clarify once a week on Saturday, but only because I get my hair wet in a pool and I need a good cleanse to get the chemicals out. Most of the time I only wash my hair then, but if I'm going somewhere mid week I'll wash with a sulfate free shampoo bar. If it wasn't for the pool I wouldn't clarify regularly at all because my water is very soft and I don't use any styling products :) I also do not use any conditioners, just some oils.

ETA: too quick to hit respond! Why do you feel like you're not getting clean enough? Is your scalp very oily? Seems like you're using up a lot of shampoo! I noticed when I got used to stretching washes my scalp's oils got used to it and now I only noticed a little grease around day three. Sebum isn't necessarily bad for your scalp, in fact I notice it protects my hair quite well.

Hmmm, the hard water could definitely play a role. There's nothing wrong with sulfates but I would stick to just one wash with a shampoo that doesn't specifically indicate "clarifying" on it and the condition.

I'm also in NY, city though. Love our soft water. But I still clarify once or so a month due to the heavier products I use.

MoonRabbit
September 18th, 2018, 04:50 PM
When I use cones I clarify every wash which is once a week.

Dante
September 18th, 2018, 06:35 PM

I’ve considered this but can’t justify the cost!

Dark40
September 18th, 2018, 09:08 PM
When I use silicones I clarify with sulfates once a month with Mane N Tail Gentle Clarifying Shampoo.

MusicalSpoons
September 19th, 2018, 01:40 AM
Pre-LHC my shampoo for every wash was a clarifying shampoo - I washed every two days and shampooed twice to make sure everything was squeaky clean. It was the worst possible thing I could have been doing! I looked like a greaseball by the end of day 1 and my scalp was very dry (dehydrated, not no-oil-dry) and flaky. I just thought I had dry skin, which is clearly not the case given the amount of oil it produced :rolleyes:

When the shampoo was discontinued, I started my investigations for a suitable replacement, and on the way learned about sulphates and silicones and actual haircare :lol: I started by switching my shampoo to one with SLES, no SLS (my previous shampoo had both - no wonder my scalp was stripped) and within a week or two I no longer looked like a greaseball. My scalp was a little happier, but it took finding a gentle sulphate-free shampoo to make my scalp contented. It's not perfect, so I condition my scalp occasionally, but even without the conditioning it's the happiest it's ever been.

It's very unlikely you need to be clarifying every wash unless you're loading your hair full of silicones or other buildup-y products, but it doesn't sound like you're doing that :) I would suggest gently trying to wean off of strong your scalp and hair every wash. Take it slowly, and don't panic if a change doesn't produce positive results right away. To reach your length goal you will probably find you need to start being gentler with your hair :flower:

MusicalSpoons
September 19th, 2018, 01:45 AM

I’ve considered this but can’t justify the cost!

I've found there are a number of in-line shower filters that are fairly reasonably-priced, at least over here. Ours just attaches between the shower unit and the hose, no tools or plumbing required! A whole new shower system probably isn't necessary :flower:

lapushka
September 19th, 2018, 06:09 AM
I weekly wash with a sulfate because I can't do it another way. I have SD, aka seborrheic dermatitis and I need to wash with a harsh clarifier every week. I also wash my lengths, but I double condition/mask every time I wash, so my hair doesn't get dried out. It is called the WCC method (see signature). It works for me.

If I could go sulfate-free or could CO-wash I would, because it's milder on the hair, but it's not like that, so... You gotta do what you gotta do.

But if you have no scalp issues, I'd give milder forms of cleansing a chance!

LittleOgre
September 19th, 2018, 06:33 AM
Does the shampoo clean your scalp since you have seborric dermatitis? So you don't have to pluck them out?

lapushka
September 19th, 2018, 11:35 AM
Does the shampoo clean your scalp since you have seborric dermatitis? So you don't have to pluck them out?

I only use the sulfate shampoo in between bouts, so when my scalp is all-clear. It helps keep it at bay. When I get the scaling/flakes and the itchies + redness, I *need* the medicated shampoo, no question about it. A simple sulfate shampoo is not going to solve this! A sulfate shampoo is not a cure.

The-Young-Maid
September 19th, 2018, 12:28 PM
Ylva, for many people a clean scalp absolutely equals a healthy scalp. I prefer not to clog my follicles.

OP, if you like the results you can keep doing it. I understand what you mean about moisturizing shampoos, I need a good clean rinse otherwise my scalp feels dirty quick. I love silicone-free sulfate shampoos! I just make sure to use a good conditioner + coconut oil, detangler and leave in.

nycelle
September 19th, 2018, 12:35 PM
I'm another one that loves a very clean scalp.
Since I use sulfate free cleansers, I wash twice and use a massage brush the second time. This method leaves my scalp extremely clean.

I also used an exfoliating shampoo a couple of weeks ago.. heaven.

Ylva
September 19th, 2018, 12:36 PM
Ylva, for many people a clean scalp absolutely equals a healthy scalp. I prefer not to clog my follicles.

Yes, but it's a whole different thing exactly how clean the scalp needs to be in order for the hair follicles not to be "clogged", and I've heard mixed opinions about whether or not the whole hair follicles getting clogged thing is an actual thing to worry about or not. My scalp feels perfectly clean when I wash with sulfate free shampoo. Personal preferences aside, our species didn't evolve around strong cleansers, so they're initially not essential for our health unless there is a medical condition involved.

The-Young-Maid
September 19th, 2018, 12:50 PM
Well okay, I'm not a doctor and neither are you. I just think that your statement about how a scalp doesn't need to be clean is misleading. We did invent strong cleansers because we wanted something that worked better. If I didn't use sulfates I would be a broken out shedding mess. Other people prefer sulfates but that doesn't mean our scalps are stripped. All I know is with sulfates I'm not shedding and my hair is growing fast and thick as a weed again. YMMV

lapushka
September 19th, 2018, 01:01 PM
Well okay, I'm not a doctor and neither are you. I just think that your statement about how a scalp doesn't need to be clean is misleading. We did invent strong cleansers because we wanted something that worked better. If I didn't use sulfates I would be a broken out shedding mess. Other people prefer sulfates but that doesn't mean our scalps are stripped. All I know is with sulfates I'm not shedding and my hair is growing fast and thick as a weed again. YMMV

YMMV exactly. It's different for us all. I wash with a harsh sulfate as well, because otherwise my SD can spring back to life. So I don't chance it. At one point I tried going sulfate-free, but it doesn't keep things squeaky enough for *me* and after a while (not immediately), it builds up and I get itchy, flakes, and before you know it... there we go again with the Nizoral 2%.

But that is different for everyone.

Ylva
September 19th, 2018, 01:04 PM

100% cleanliness, the squaky clean feeling, is not the first definition of a "clean" scalp. The point where the scalp is "clean" comes way before that, and it's not a prequisite to avoid any and all scalp conditions. It should go without saying by now that not everything works for everyone, and in these conversations I've also stated before (in this thread or a similar one last night) that there are people who can't go without sulfates. I use sulfates too (on occasion) and I'm not opposed to them. Being too hygienic and living in an overly hygienic environment is generally not healthy. It is, for example, a main cause for why allergies are a lot more common now than they were a few decades ago.

In the end, each to their own, as with everything.

Ylva
September 19th, 2018, 01:05 PM
YMMV exactly. It's different for us all. I wash with a harsh sulfate as well, because otherwise my SD can spring back to life. So I don't chance it. At one point I tried going sulfate-free, but it doesn't keep things squeaky enough for *me* and after a while (not immediately), it builds up and I get itchy, flakes, and before you know it... there we go again with the Nizoral 2%.

But that is different for everyone.

That's precisely why I mentioned somewhere previously that medical conditions are a thing of their own.

The-Young-Maid
September 19th, 2018, 01:21 PM
So you're saying I'm too hygienic? I'm over here talking about hair... I don't have allergies. It's just strange that so many people act like experts on this forum.:shrug: YMMV lol feel free to ignore me! I'm used to it

Ylva
September 19th, 2018, 01:26 PM
So you're saying I'm too hygienic? I'm over here talking about hair... I don't have allergies. It's just strange that so many people act like experts on this forum.:shrug: YMMV lol feel free to ignore me! I'm used to it

I don't know what you are, it is no concern of mine. That you wash your hair with x and don't have allergies means absolutely nothing when it comes to general research about the connection of hygiene and allergies. It is not so hard to understand that whenever a general statement is made, no matter what it's about, it does not apply to 100% of individuals. This should not need to be stated in every message.

The-Young-Maid
September 19th, 2018, 01:33 PM
I think you need to calm down.:blossom:

Ylva
September 19th, 2018, 01:37 PM
I think you need to calm down.:blossom:

I'm very calm. :lol: From this statement I gather that the topic is over for the two of us.

Corvana
September 19th, 2018, 06:21 PM
The only time I use a clarifying shampoo two (or three or whatever) washes in a row is when I go longer than a week between washes. Sometimes my scalp is totally fine and chill and doesn't produce enough sebum to look gross and I can just coast along until it does. My sebum does travel my hair shaft easily, though, and I brush my hair a couple times a day staring about day 3 which seems to help as well. Since I keep my hair up or in a braid now, it just looks very smooth and sleek, and not overly oily. I know this because I once posted a photo of a braid that was the night before I finally washed, so quite oily, on Instagram and a commenter said it was lovely but would look better oiled :laugh:.

But of course if it's been a good while, then I'll use my clarifying shampoo (on my scalp only! I only shampoo the length if I've been using leave-ins). My Shea Moisture shampoo rinses quite cleanly, and I do get a light squeak feel. It's not "rubbing your fingers on a clean plate" level of squeaking, but enough for me to know it's fully rinsed which is all I care about.

postpixie88
September 19th, 2018, 08:23 PM
I clarify once a week, so I suppose if I only washed my hair once a week I would clarify every time I washed. I wash every other day, so I use a clarifying shampoo Saturday or Sunday after an oil treatment. I am thinking about changing to every 3 days instead of 2, as my hair has been drier lately. I regularly use silicones and clarifying that often seems to take care of my buildup!

MemeAimee
October 5th, 2018, 11:47 PM
I wash my hair twice a week, with live clean clarifying. ATM, it is all I have for shampoo. haha

XcaliburGirl
October 6th, 2018, 04:56 AM
I use Suave Daily Clarifying daily. I am not sure why, but this clarifying shampoo seemed less harsh than the other Suave Naturals/Essentials shampoos. I ended up using it every day because I ran out of my regular shampoo. It made my hair feel nice and didn't leave my scalp a flaky mess like moisturizing shampoos.

I just shampoo my scalp and just once. It feels clean, but not "squeaky clean". It does the job of cleaning without lots of extra stuff in it. The moisturizing is my conditioner's job.

RottenMango
April 25th, 2019, 06:44 PM
I’ve never used a clarifying shampoo in my life. I do like to deep
Clean my hair, though, so I always shampoo twice and lather up both my scalp and hair. I use about a 1/4 cup of shampoo per wash. I won’t go longer than three days without a good shampooing.

GrowinIt
April 25th, 2019, 06:51 PM
I have never used a clarifying shampoo, never thought of a reason to use one.

Begemot
April 26th, 2019, 01:22 AM
I don't need to clarify that often. Once a month is okay for me, or when my hair feels like it needs some deep cleansing.

Jo Ann
April 26th, 2019, 02:30 AM
I use a clarifying shampoo when I'm going to change hair color (I use semi-permanent hair dyes). I ALWAYS follow it with a conditioning treatment, be it a DT or leaving my conditioner on my hair for 15-30 minutes.

When I'm not changing my hair color, I use a clarifying shampoo once a month or six weeks, to remove build-up, because I use sulfate-free shampoos.

LoveHeart33
April 26th, 2019, 02:08 PM
I just purchased my 1st clarifying shampoo from The Grandpa Soap Co. (Witch Hazel Clarifying Shampoo), recommended by Torrin Paige! And then I plan on following it with the Snowy Moisture Treatment I just read about on here

lapushka
April 26th, 2019, 03:45 PM
I just purchased my 1st clarifying shampoo from The Grandpa Soap Co. (Witch Hazel Clarifying Shampoo), recommended by Torrin Paige! And then I plan on following it with the Snowy Moisture Treatment I just read about on here

Let us know how it goes. If it's not what you expected or it turns out bad, you can always ask for help, so we can help you tweak.

Good luck!