PDA

View Full Version : Dawn Dish Soap?

LittleOgre
September 18th, 2018, 03:26 PM
Hello! Has anyone used dawn dish soap to wash your hair? I know it must sound crazy but I am very paranoid about my hair. To paranoid that it isn't clean enough, etc. If not. Do you have any reccomendations for good clarifying shampoos. Just to make a disclaimer, I don't care if there is sulfates.

Xu
September 18th, 2018, 03:29 PM
Clean enough is an illusion... put that bottle down for the sake of your hair. Dish soap is probably amongst the most aggressive detergents, i wouldn't even recommend to use it diluted cause it might strip all your natural oils and moisture, even though your hair probably won't show significant damage immediately.

Arciela
September 18th, 2018, 03:30 PM
My go to clarify shampoo is Fekkai Apple Cider Clarifying shampoo, after my hair and scalp feel 100% clean!

I wouldn't recommend using a dish soap on hair..its very drying and counter productive as it strips so much oil the scalp would most likely freak out and produce a ton more oil, at least that is what happened when I used it. I had to use it a while ago when I was trying to remove a hair color with color oops.

Ylva
September 18th, 2018, 03:31 PM
I suppose if you want a clarifying shampoo there are going to be sulfates for sure. :D At least I've never heard of a clarifying shampoo without sulfates, I think that more or less defeats the purpose.

I'm using the Tresemmé Cleanse & Replenish shampoo, which appears to be their clarifying shampoo. Its ingredients were okay in comparison to their other chemical horrors. https://www.tresemme.com/uk/products/shampoo/deep-cleansing-shampoo.html

But I only clarify max. once in two weeks.

LittleOgre
September 18th, 2018, 03:32 PM
Why didn't you just wash the length of your hair if you were just stripping color? and thanks. Is it drying?

Ylva
September 18th, 2018, 03:33 PM
Why didn't you just wash the length of your hair if you were just stripping color? and thanks. Is it drying?

All deep cleansing shampoos tend to be drying. They're not meant for everyday or every wash use, really, for most people.

LittleOgre
September 18th, 2018, 03:33 PM
A lot of people have some strange issue with sulfates... Lol. Is the shampoo drying?

Ylva
September 18th, 2018, 03:34 PM
I wouldn't say that people have any "strange issue" with sulfates. It's just that many people find it too drying or irritating for their hair and/or scalp and thus prefer sulfate free, but there are also people who don't want to or cannot go without sulfates.

LittleOgre
September 18th, 2018, 03:36 PM
That is true but for many people it mostly has to do with the trend of avoiding sulfates ever since videos, articles, and trendsetters came out talking about the dangers of sulfates... 0.0

Ylva
September 18th, 2018, 03:39 PM
I don't think that's the case, actually. I think many people just didn't realise that they could go sulfate free, that there even was an option like that. For example, in the past I myself thought that sulfates were just something that you were supposed to use to wash your hair in order to be doing it correctly, but as I learned about sulfate free options, I found out that actually suited my hair and scalp much better.

LittleOgre
September 18th, 2018, 03:40 PM
Was there any negatives you noticed when it comes to using sulfates comparing to when you switched to sulfate free options?

lapushka
September 18th, 2018, 03:44 PM
I use the Pantene Aqua Light (we can still get this here, but I think it's been discontinued in the US), their volumizing shampoo is equally as good for this purpose. They are both +sulfates and -silicones, which is ideal.

Corvana
September 18th, 2018, 03:44 PM
I don't think that's the case, actually. I think many people just didn't realise that they could go sulfate free, that there even was an option like that. For example, in the past I myself thought that sulfates were just something that you were supposed to use to wash your hair in order to be doing it correctly, but as I learned about sulfate free options, I found out that actually suited my hair and scalp much better.

Yeah this was my experience! I just thought that there was nothing to stop my scalp being itchy besides maybe a medicated shampoo (but due to my memory, it was never something I'd remember to bring up to a doctor). When I learned about sulfate free I didn't think I "needed" to, but then I learned that my hair was wavy and I thought that two birds with one stone would be useful. May as well, right? It's been amazing lol.

I use the Suave Daily Clarifying myself when I need to clarify, because it's like $5 for a huge bottle. I don't use it daily, of course.

LittleOgre
September 18th, 2018, 03:47 PM
$5? Where do you get suave daily clarifying shampoo? I get the big bottle for $2. You're being ripped off xD Maybe check your local dollar store.

Ylva
September 18th, 2018, 03:50 PM
Was there any negatives you noticed when it comes to using sulfates comparing to when you switched to sulfate free options?

Washing with sulfates every time (twice a week), my scalp was dry and had some flaky spots. In the past, when I didn't know about good hair care, I would also wash my lengths with sulfates every time, so they were very dry. After going mostly sulfate free, my scalp is pretty much never dry like that anymore, and it's much easier to keep the rest of my hair hydrated. And of course, I'm going through a lot less shampoo, which enables me to invest in a higher quality shampoo altogether. But of course I still clarify my scalp and hair maybe once in two or three weeks, using sulfates.

There's no reason to shun sulfate free simply because it's a "trend" or because it seems to be popular right now and therefore it must be hocus pocus. Like everything in life, it doesn't work for everyone, but it's worth a proper shot, because for me and many others, it has made a world of difference in hair care.

Ylva
September 18th, 2018, 03:52 PM
$5? Where do you get suave daily clarifying shampoo? I get the big bottle for $2. You're being ripped off xD Maybe check your local dollar store.

I imagine that it would cost more in Europe due to import fees. I have not encountered Suave in my country at all. If I was to order it online, it would probably cost me over 10€/11.6 USD a bottle.

LittleOgre
September 18th, 2018, 03:57 PM
Okay. I might look into sulfate free. I didn't shun it but I never took it seriously but you're probably right. Maybe it is worth a shot.

Ylva
September 18th, 2018, 04:05 PM
Okay. I might look into sulfate free. I didn't shun it but I never took it seriously but you're probably right. Maybe it is worth a shot.

I'm not an expert of your hair type, but I've heard many kinky and coily people say that it tends to be harder to keep moisturized than straighter hair, because the oil of the scalp has a harder time traveling down the hair shaft. I think it's worth a shot for you, but keep in mind that you could experience excessive oil on your scalp for a while, as it's used to such vigorous cleansing. It's basically in panic mode. Easing into it could help.

LittleOgre
September 18th, 2018, 04:10 PM
My scalp does tend to get really greasy but it never travels down to the length. It gets uncomfortable which is why I wash twice a week sometimes more if I can't stand it. But I thought it was more if a genetic thing. So maybe that will help. Its pretty easy to keep my hair moisturized. I think having microns maybe a factor to that. My ehad gets crazy itchy even just aftrr washing my hair. So I'm a little curioud to see if it'll acatually work.

embee
September 18th, 2018, 04:21 PM
I do not have your hair type at all. However, to answer your question:

Many years ago I used Palmolive (the old green variety) *greatly diluted* as a shampoo. It worked ok for me, my hair felt clean and it didn't seem to be extra thin or fragile or any of those evil things. I was not trying to grow it as long as possible, so do not know if it caused breakage of the ends. My scalp was naturally very greasy and the Palmolive worked a treat for that. :)

Personally I think Dawn is stronger, and I'm not sure I'd use it now, but I'm much older and my scalp is no longer terribly greasy. Also in the past I have used Joy (again greatly diluted) and it worked ok but I preferred the Palmolive.

Ylva
September 18th, 2018, 04:21 PM
My scalp does tend to get really greasy but it never travels down to the length. It gets uncomfortable which is why I wash twice a week sometimes more if I can't stand it. But I thought it was more if a genetic thing. So maybe that will help. Its pretty easy to keep my hair moisturized. I think having microns maybe a factor to that. My ehad gets crazy itchy even just aftrr washing my hair. So I'm a little curioud to see if it'll acatually work.

That your scalp gets itchy just after a wash is definitely not due to oil, so I think it might be because you've caused your scalp to get too dry. Good luck with it, just don't expect any instant change, as that's not likely to happen, and don't give up after one use even if it seems like it's not working for you. Your scalp needs time to adjust to the change. :)

Obsidian
September 18th, 2018, 05:43 PM
I have used dawn dish soap a couple times but it was under unusual circumstances. It was very strong and did dry my hair, not something I would use often or really recommend but it did clean well

Normally I just user suave daily clarifying, I wash every or every other day and it never damaged or dried my hair out. Its still my favorite sulfate shampoo.

I recently switched to sulfate free but only because my hair is so damaged from chemicals I wanted to try something gentler. In all honesty, I've not noticed a difference and once my sulfate free shampoos are gone, i'll be going back to suave.

akurah
September 18th, 2018, 06:56 PM
If your scalp is itchy, even if you don’t have dandruff, (and if the itching isn’t caused by sulfates, which it could be), give Head and Shoulders a shot. The same ingredient it uses to fight dandruff also combats itching.

trolleypup
September 18th, 2018, 07:27 PM
Dawn has its place...a very strong detergent is appropriate when you get stuff in your hair that won't come out otherwise. Of course it strips everything off, so follow it with something to protect/moisturize your hair (and scalp). Squeaky when wet, light and fluffy when dry, waves were towards 2b compared to 1b on WO, no particular damage from one use.

Also good for washing poison oak oils off after exposure.

FennFire911
September 18th, 2018, 07:59 PM
In my Google adventures I've seen people swear by Dawn dish soap for chelating their hair. I don't trust myself with strong detergents and mixing things perfectly just yet so I continued shopping. Sally's Ion line has a hard water shampoo (I'm on well water, there are metals and minerals) and it happens to be sulfate free.
And I didn't go sulfate free/mostly sulfate free because of some notion that it causes cancer or is in some other way evil. It IS a harsh detergent for some people with sensitive skin, and I also care about what I'm rinsing down the drain. I don't use styling products so routine use of sulfates isn't a must for me. Being gentle to the environment when possible is important to me. I don't judge people who choose to use sulfates but my stance is since I don't need to then why should I?

So anyway. I've been finding lately that for just about every hair need, Sally's Ion probably has something to help me out.
The quest to subdue the seborrheic dermatitis continues though.

Overall opinion, try to avoid Dish soap. You probably don't need anything that extreme on any regular basis.

Jo Ann
September 18th, 2018, 08:34 PM
I only use Dawn dishwashing liquid when I'm actively fading or removing my hair color. It's so drying, I can't imagine using it as an everyday (or otherwise) shampoo, unless it was absolutely necessary.

Dark40
September 18th, 2018, 09:00 PM
If you want to clarify your hair I would recommend Mane N Tail Gentle Clarifying Shampoo. I use that once a month, and my hair is very happy. I wouldn't recommend using Dawn Dish washing detergent. That will definitely dry out your hair.

cjk
September 18th, 2018, 09:34 PM
For those of us who are Curly Girl, Dawn is often used as a FINAL cleanse. Before going CG.

It is very aggressive and if used often will likely result in damage.

littlestarface
September 18th, 2018, 09:35 PM
Dawn? woo that stuff is so strong, it takes off built on grease like nothing, imagine hair? No thanks use something else. The only time I would ever even consider that blue stuff is if someone had literal black oil or tree sap and stuff.

Rowdy
September 18th, 2018, 11:26 PM
I used Dawn once to clarify back in 2014. This was after a 3 year period of sulfate free shampoo combined with silicone leave in conditioners after every wash so I had alot of build up. I don't remember it drying out my hair any but it did make the frizz dry into ringlets for the first time.

Doreen
September 18th, 2018, 11:47 PM
My hair seems to love most sulfate shampoos, but Dawn takes it too far. I have a friend who loves to change from blue to pink to green hair, and uses Dawn to strip the old dye so that she doesn't have to use as much bleach. That's how stripping it is. :shudder: