PDA

View Full Version : How do you get rid of product buildup?

M.McDonough
September 18th, 2018, 11:47 AM
If you have product buildup, how do you get rid of it?
I tried apple cider vinegar yesterday and it didn't work, plus it stinks. Actually, I think it made it worse. Looks like I have more buildup now cuz I see these white dots in my hair that look like dandruff.

nycelle
September 18th, 2018, 12:02 PM
clarifying shampoos.

Arciela
September 18th, 2018, 01:40 PM
I use Fekkai Clarifying Cider Apple shampoo..but really, any one will do.

lapushka
September 18th, 2018, 02:59 PM
A sulfate aka clarifying shampoo. You can buy "specialized" clarifying shampoos but honestly any regular sulfate shampoo will do.

lithostoic
September 18th, 2018, 03:18 PM
If your products have silicones you need to use a sulfate shampoo. Any should work fine.

LittleOgre
September 18th, 2018, 03:22 PM
Just use dish soap. That will definitely get rid of anything on your hair. :) Ultra Dawn Dish Soap is a good one.

Ylva
September 18th, 2018, 03:28 PM
Just use dish soap. That will definitely get rid of anything on your hair. :) Ultra Dawn Dish Soap is a good one.

:shocked: My hair would be so mad with me if I did that! :lol:

nycelle
September 18th, 2018, 03:38 PM
You don't need sulfates to get rid of build-up. Lots of clarifying shampoos without SLS, or SLES work just as well. I'm throwing this out there in case the OP doesn't normally use sulfates.

This is a great link: Detergents that get rid of silicones (http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2016/05/detergents-which-remove-silicones.html)

LittleOgre
September 18th, 2018, 03:41 PM
Fair enough xD What would happen?

LittleOgre
September 18th, 2018, 03:42 PM
True, dr.bronners is a good one as well

Ylva
September 18th, 2018, 03:44 PM
You don't need sulfates to get rid of build-up. Lots of clarifying shampoos without SLS, or SLES work just as well. I'm throwing this out there in case the OP doesn't normally use sulfates.

This is a great link: Detergents that get rid of silicones (http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2016/05/detergents-which-remove-silicones.html)

SLS and SLES aren't the only sulfates. There are plenty of other sulfates that are just, or almost as harsh. Of course, there are milder options in that list as well.

Fair enough xD What would happen?

I'm not going to try it to make sure, but I can imagine it being a tangled-to-hell, frizzy, dry ball that would suffer a ton of breakage as a result of attempting to do anything to it.

LittleOgre
September 18th, 2018, 03:49 PM
sls and sles are the common sulfates. I do try to avoid sles though because I looked into it and learned that it could possibly be carcinogenic.

Ylva
September 18th, 2018, 03:54 PM
I do try to avoid sles though because I looked into it and learned that it could possibly be carcinogenic.

As far as I know, there is no actual evidence to support this claim. It's just a scare. There are actual reasons why sulfates don't work for everyone, but being carcinogenic is not one of them.

nycelle
September 18th, 2018, 03:57 PM
SLS and SLES aren't the only sulfates. There are plenty of other sulfates that are just, or almost as harsh. Of course, there are milder options in that list as well.

I'm not going to try it to make sure, but I can imagine it being a tangled-to-hell, frizzy, dry ball that would suffer a ton of breakage as a result of attempting to do anything to it.

Yep, you are correct. I'm just mentioning the most common one(s) that you generally find in drugstore brand clarifying shampoos. At least in the US

postpixie88
September 18th, 2018, 10:31 PM
I'm a regular silicone user, and I've found that using Pantene Daily Moisture Renewal shampoo once a week takes care of my buildup, but I'm sure any other clarifying/sulfate shampoo would do the trick.

M.McDonough
September 18th, 2018, 11:41 PM
A sulfate aka clarifying shampoo. You can buy "specialized" clarifying shampoos but honestly any regular sulfate shampoo will do.

No, I use sulfate shampoos all the time they don't work. Lately, I've been using Dove daily moisture

M.McDonough
September 18th, 2018, 11:43 PM
Has anyone tried the buildup buster from Deva Curl?

M.McDonough
September 18th, 2018, 11:52 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but people with short hair don't get product buildup right? And by short I mean like 2 inches long. If hair is frequently trimmed, it's almost impossible to find product buildup.

Doreen
September 19th, 2018, 12:00 AM
Have you tried making a paste of baking soda then doing the vinegar rinse? Another thing you can do is lather up the shampoo and wait 3-5 min before rinsing. I once got "slimed" at an event and the slime mixture had glue in it! Horrible! But after doing maybe 5 ACV rinses and letting the suds sit on my hair, it was good as new (it did dry out my scalp quite a bit, though).

Jo Ann
September 19th, 2018, 12:12 AM
I generally use Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo or baby shampoo if I need to clarify. Be sure to use conditioner afterwards.

RE: Ultra Dawn Dishwashing Liquid--if, and ONLY if, I have something in my hair that a clarifying (or dandruff) shampoo will NOT get rid of. I follow-up with a deep moisturizing treatment, because dishwashing liquid takes ALL the oil out/off of your hair. I save something that drastic for when I'm force-fading semi-permanent hair dye. Same thing with using laundry soap (no bleach included, not even hydrogen peroxide, please!), which is also very drying to one's hair.

paulownia
September 19th, 2018, 12:36 AM
Has anyone tried the buildup buster from Deva Curl?
I checked it. I don't see any clarifying agents in it, not to mention that it has three filmformers - hydroxypropyl guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, polyquaternium 7 and polyquaternium 10.
Clarifying shampoo ideally should contain sulfates, no oils and no filmformers - meaning silicones, polyquaterniums etc.

leayellena
September 20th, 2018, 06:42 AM
With the risk of sounding gross...
Screatching aka scratch your scalp like u have ahmz lice...
Works for me

lapushka
September 20th, 2018, 08:46 AM
With the risk of sounding gross...
Screatching aka scratch your scalp like u have ahmz lice...
Works for me

You mean scritching? Doesn't work for me; doubt it gets product off of the hair itself.