PDA

View Full Version : How often do you wash your hair?

LittleOgre
September 17th, 2018, 09:50 PM
I wash my hair twice a week... yep. It is very odd to me because since I am black. When it comes to the standard of hair washing. Most other girls similar to me think I wash my hair to often... but then I learned that for many girls with more looser hair. It's considered nasty to go 3-4 days without washing your hair. I am not sure, my scalp doesn't really get greasy. I mainly wash it when it feels dirty and my hair lacks any shine but I never understood the greasiness that other girls had to deal with. In fact xD I add oil to my scalp and hair. Not sure anywho xd Just curious.

Corvana
September 17th, 2018, 10:55 PM
Weekly at my most often, and my longest stretch outside of illness or injury has been about 16-17 days? Weekly is pretty common around here, actually.

What I've seen in the natural hair videos I watch occasionally on youtube is one of the main reasons for washing less often is just because it takes so long to dry. 24 full hours of air drying for truly dry hair isn't an uncommon thing among these youtubers, and since my own takes about 7 I can understand wanting to avoid that as often as I can :laugh:. Another reason is that their scalps don't get oily the same way mine does for example, and by washing less the sebum that they do have has a chance to actually moisturize their hair.

But honestly, how often you wash your hair is up to you. Wash it daily, wash it monthly. Whatever makes you and your scalp and hair happy! Everyone's different!

spirals
September 17th, 2018, 11:09 PM
Once a week on Saturday unless my scalp gets really sweaty or oily for some reason. That might be weather or my cycle (scalp gets itchier then) or being active in some way. Most of the time, though, it is once a week. I use a little powder on the roots when necessary.

LittleHealthy
September 18th, 2018, 12:18 AM
Every 4 days, currently. I get night sweats (pregnancy) so I reckon after I’m finished with the pregnancy I’ll be able to go once a week, providing my ends don’t get too dry.
I wouldn’t worry what people think of your washing frequency, it’s not like they can tell just by looking ;)

September 18th, 2018, 02:11 AM
I'm white and I normally wash once a week. Week and a half to two weeks during winter. For years, if I'd wash my hair more often than once every 5 days my scalp would get crazy and start pouring insane amounts of sebum that I wouldn't been able to wash off unless I left my hair alone for few days and then wash. So I couldn't wash more often that once every 5 days even if I actually had to (like, was sweaty on that day or whatever). My hair tends to be dry but I guess if I over-dry it by washing too frequently it becomes extremely oily. If washed with something strong and left alone it won't get oily very quickly. My texture ranges from loose waves to 3b/c depending on washing method/products.

WO helped a lot with my scalp condition and now I have to admit I wash more often (and can do it! But I have to watch out, still)... because I'm vain xD and I have really short hair now (grown out buzz cut, but it's not pixie yet) that I style with water... I do these, like, uh, spikes? Kinda like Sonic the hedgehog xDD. It looks great actually xD.

Crna Kosa
September 18th, 2018, 04:16 AM
Usualy once a week , but I've been lately using really gentle shampoo and my hair is really greasy 3 days after washing and formed dandruff

Hexen
September 18th, 2018, 04:36 AM
Purty darn often. :)

lakhesis
September 18th, 2018, 04:37 AM
I wash twice a week, but I do use some dry shampoo in between :)

lapushka
September 18th, 2018, 05:24 AM
I wash once a week. I wash when it gets oily; not before that, and it starts to get oily on a Friday/Saturday these days, when I have to wash every Sunday, so I wait a couple more days. I can't stretch it further due to a scalp condition (SD, aka seborrheic dermatitis). So I have to maintain the status quo with that.

nycelle
September 18th, 2018, 05:48 AM
I wash two or three times per week depending on my scalp and hair.

EssleyBlue
September 18th, 2018, 06:24 AM
Three times a week. One time is with shampoo. The other two times with ACV. I have fine, straight hair and it looks greasy very quickly if I don't wash. Also my scalp really likes to be washed.

xoAshley
September 18th, 2018, 06:31 AM
Twice a week. Usually every 3rd day or so.

Arciela
September 18th, 2018, 06:40 AM
I wash as needed, sometimes once a week or every other day :)

CopperButterfly
September 18th, 2018, 06:59 AM
I wash my scalp daily and my length about twice a week. I've got an oily scalp and it starts looking greasy about 18 hours after I've washed it. My ends on the other hand start to feel dry after a few days of not getting wet and conditioned.

Sid0rela
September 18th, 2018, 07:32 AM
i wash my hair 2 times a week, because my hair tent to be very oily by the second day after washing. i also really love washng my hair, because it doesnt take that long to dry even though i have thick hair and lots of it.

Ylva
September 18th, 2018, 07:50 AM
About twice a week, every 3-4 days. Sometimes I go longer if I just can't bother, but my roots do get very oily then. Usually I wash my scalp and roots only.

MusicalSpoons
September 18th, 2018, 07:53 AM
Scalp every two days, lengths ~every 4 days. I can go 5-6 days without my scalp complaining, but to look presentable it needs washing (or cornflour dry shampoo) every two days.

Edit for clarification: when I say I wash my scalp, I mean I wash the roots and only get the scalp hair wet. I rarely make a conscientious effort to *wash* (shampoo) the lengths, but when I say I 'wash' them I mean they get thoroughly wet and I thoroughly condition them. So a full wash for me = shampoo roots + thoroughly moisturise lengths :)

TreesOfEternity
September 18th, 2018, 07:55 AM
I wash it every 5 days or so, but my hair is 1a aka pin straight and I have an oily scalp so I can't really stretch further at least by now. If you can't bother washing you can condition your length daily anyway with leave in products/creams/oils.

Katsura
September 18th, 2018, 08:03 AM
I wash about three times a week, sometimes more often. I wash whenever I feel I need to, mainly because of my scalp.

queenbee1
September 18th, 2018, 08:33 AM
Twice a week. Currently steetching washes to once a week. :D

Leannan
September 18th, 2018, 09:07 AM
I have been washing it about twice a week.

Natalia_A00
September 18th, 2018, 09:30 AM
Everyday or every other day. My hair is very oil and I feel nasty if I don't do it

Andthetalltrees
September 18th, 2018, 09:30 AM
Everyday to every 3 days. I don't have a schedule anymore I just wash it when my scalp feels itchy/oily

Brittny
September 18th, 2018, 10:04 AM
Once a week on Sundays. My hair does not get oily or dirty since I keep it up most of the time

MusicalSpoons
September 18th, 2018, 10:06 AM
Once a week on Sundays. My hair does not get oily or dirty since I keep it up most of the time

Ah, if only that worked for all of us! Mine is in a bun during the day, and loosely contained in satin at night, yet my scalp just does not care :rolleyes:

ravenskey
September 18th, 2018, 11:14 AM
One every two weeks. My sebum is very waxy so it doesn't make my hair grassy at all - on the contrary, I have to manually oil like a maniac.
A good scritch when the one week mark comes around keeps my scalp happy.

TatsuOni
September 19th, 2018, 03:34 AM
Every other week or less. Mostly less.

Blondie Locks
September 19th, 2018, 04:09 AM
I usually wash mine once a week but sometimes twice, depending if Iím going somewhere special.

I have a 100% boar bristle brush and it really helps to distribute sebum down the length of my strands, rather than having it all sit up on the scalp and looking like a grease pit! :silly:

It allows me to go a lot longer between washings and oh the shine! Wowie Kazowie! :agape:

illicitlizard
September 19th, 2018, 04:22 AM
Every 3 days is the sweet spot for me. That's when the oils really kick in and I can't stand the feeling of anything on my hair, even natural sebum.

ArabellaRose
September 19th, 2018, 06:03 AM
Every 2 - 3 days usually. I don't like going any longer because my hair gets quote grease and even with leave in products the ends get dry without a good condition.

I've just started CO washing, first was was yesterday and I'm resisting the urge to wash again today because it doesn't feel as clean as usual. Going to stick with it as I'm hoping it'll settle down with time.

lithostoic
September 19th, 2018, 11:20 AM
Once every 4 or 5 days. Might go longer if it falls on a weekend. Depending on if I have plans! My hair isn't super oily. I cowashed Monday morning and I'm just starting to see the first signs of oil. And I live in a very hot climate.

Margrit
September 19th, 2018, 11:55 AM
2 -3 times a week, depending on my plans.

cjk
September 19th, 2018, 01:23 PM
I water cleanse twice a week.

Shampoo annually.

bunchoflowers
September 19th, 2018, 02:00 PM
two times per week because I exercise, but when I don't exercise only once a week. Or when it is winter, in winter my hair is not so greasy, then I only wash it once a week.

sillyme
September 19th, 2018, 02:03 PM
Every day. I really need to if my hair is shoulder-length or shorter, which it is now. Otherwise, it hangs very limp after only 1 1/2 days. It's okay though, because I enjoy my morning shampoo.

Alibran
September 19th, 2018, 02:47 PM
I aim for weekly, but it's sometimes more frequently in summer or less in winter. The longest I've gone between washes is 3 weeks, but my scalp was starting to get itchy by that time.

elfynity
September 19th, 2018, 03:04 PM
I just tracked back in my journal and I am amazed myself that I only WO wash my hair once every 2 to 3 weeks. It sounds awful, but I assure everyone my hair is still very clean. I spray diluted peppermint EO on my roots almost daily, I brush with my BBB everyday. I condition my ends every day and often wrap them up with conditioner in a bun. I live in a subtropical climate, it is humid here. It takes at least a week and a half for my sebum production to even start showing.

Zesty
September 19th, 2018, 03:58 PM
I've accidentally reduced my washing to once a week on Saturday (washing my hair in the evening during the week is a chore so I put it off), and I'm very surprised at how easy the transition was. Yeah, it gets a little greasy near the end of the cycle, but not too much more than when I washed twice a week. :shrug: And it's sooo much more convenient.

Mademoiselle
September 19th, 2018, 04:21 PM
2 times in a week

postpixie88
September 19th, 2018, 08:33 PM
Every other day lately, but since it's the end of summer and I'm not as active/dirty/sweaty my hair seems dried out by washing that frequently and I'm planning on decreasing it. I also have short (just above shoulders), mostly straight hair so there's not a lot of length to distribute my natural oils through.

LadyLongLocks
September 19th, 2018, 08:47 PM
Once a week but sometimes stretch it to 9 days with dry shampoo in between (Batiste)

EdG
September 19th, 2018, 08:50 PM
I wash every 1-3 days. I have been doing water-only washes for over 2 years.
Ed

BrightEyes
September 19th, 2018, 09:58 PM
I wash 2-3 times a week. I've tried stretching washes more, but my hair and scalp prefer to be washed more often.

Beckstar
September 19th, 2018, 10:07 PM
As needed.

Natashap
September 20th, 2018, 05:33 AM
Every 3 days ,was everyday washer as have oily scalp.

Trying to not wash often though have SD.

Dark40
September 20th, 2018, 07:08 PM
Every other day, I was also an everyday washer too because of oily scalp and hair. But is trying not to wash too often so that it doesn't dry it out.

Simsy
September 21st, 2018, 02:04 AM
Once a week; every Saturday morning. I can stretch an extra week if Iím working; I just need to detangle and oil on the Saturday, then not touch it for the next week. I can also skip shampoo or treatment for a week; but again, I have to be careful about how much I touch my hair until I can wash it properly.

As much as WO sound sounds really good and an excellent standby; my hair objects rather strenuously.

Estrid
September 21st, 2018, 02:09 AM
Every 4-5 days. It would be nice to have it be a once-a-week thing, but I'm not going to attempt to stretch it more anytime soon.

Vacurlylady
September 21st, 2018, 02:18 AM
Iím a curly girl and Co-wash every third or so days. Iím loving the freedom from every day washes when I was a pixie girl! 🤗

EmeraldSkies
September 21st, 2018, 07:48 AM
I wash twice a week. I find that clipping my fringe up and tying my hair prevents my hair from getting greasy fast. It's great that i can stretch washes because i wash my hair at night and it takes a long time to dry!

nikittyy
September 21st, 2018, 03:11 PM
I only wash my hair once a week if I can help it. I go through Monday-Wednesday with it down, and do updos the rest of the week with the help of dry shampoo. Then on Sunday I shampoo, do a deep conditioner for two hours, rinse it out, and then put a little leave in conditioner into it.