PDA

View Full Version : Biotin?

M.McDonough
September 17th, 2018, 01:00 PM
Does anybody here use biotin? Would you recommend taking biotin pills?

lapushka
September 17th, 2018, 01:22 PM
I have biotin in my multivitamin, and it says 100% at a very small dosage. Not like 1000 or 5000 or even 10000 mcg.

So I would say yes it's great... in moderation.

Doreen
September 17th, 2018, 10:26 PM
I tried taking Biotin for a few months but it caused a lot of skin issues for me. My hair did grow faster, went from 0.5" per month to 0.75" but it wasn't worth it dealing with the skin problems. I tend to have sensitive skin though and even without biotin I have a lot of hormonal breakouts.

M.McDonough
September 18th, 2018, 04:01 AM
I tried taking Biotin for a few months but it caused a lot of skin issues for me. My hair did grow faster, went from 0.5" per month to 0.75" but it wasn't worth it dealing with the skin problems. I tend to have sensitive skin though and even without biotin I have a lot of hormonal breakouts.

Do you drink plenty of water? You should drink a lot of water when taking biotin

lakhesis
September 18th, 2018, 04:41 AM
My multivitamin has 60 percent of daily dose of biotin and I am fine with that since I eat quite healthy and most likely get enough biotin just from my diet :) I used to take those mega doses of biotin, but I ended up with really bad acne, which took several months to get rid of. (and no, drinking 2,5+ liters of water daily while taking it didn't really make a difference for me)

EssleyBlue
September 18th, 2018, 06:28 AM
I'm currently taking one capsule of biotin 1000 mcg a week just to test it out. I'm weary of acne and one poster mentioned weight gain as a side effect. I might skip a week here and there.

LittleOgre
September 18th, 2018, 03:44 PM
I need to try it honestly...

lithostoic
September 18th, 2018, 04:24 PM
Works for me. I cut my nails every Monday and by Friday they're getting too long for work again. I don't measure my hair but it's definitely growing and my scalp is great. No changes in acne.

*Wednesday*
September 18th, 2018, 05:06 PM
Recommend....The recommended daily allowance is 50 - 100 mcg. I would only support Lapushka's advice with biotin in a multi-vitamin or accompanied in a B-Complex vitamin. It is balanced with that way. The DA of 50/100 is more than enough to support skin, hair and nails to grow to their optimum in a healthy person with no medical issues. Unless you are crash dieting or are severely deficient, Biotin is obtained through a well balanced diet.
To be deficient is very rare. More people are low on VD and VC and those are needed for hair as well. I don't quite understand how people focus on one vitamin and take excess doses of it. Your body needs a rainbow of vitamins because they all work together.

The reason people get pimples and acne is because they are top heavy with biotin and causes imbalance of other B vitamins. Biotin works with B5 (pantothenic acid) which influences the skin. Taking excess of biotin blocks B5 which triggers the pimples and acne. So beware. It's a common complaint especially in high does of 1000 mcg +

If you have thyroid issues, be careful of biotin. Do your research.

Too much biotin in lab tests for thyroid hormones has led doctors to diagnose Graves’ disease in children and adults. Graves’ is an autoimmune disease that causes too much thyroid hormone in children and adults. Biotin in supplements can also affect tests for heart failure, pregnancy, cancer, and iron-deficiency anemia.
https://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/news/20171129/fda-warns-biotin-can-distort-lab-tests

I would not recommend over 100 mcgs unless your physician prescribes it for medical reasons.

Doreen
September 19th, 2018, 12:13 AM
Do you drink plenty of water? You should drink a lot of water when taking biotin

The reason people get pimples and acne is because they are top heavy with biotin and causes imbalance of other B vitamins. Biotin works with B5 (pantothenic acid) which influences the skin. Taking excess of biotin blocks B5 which triggers the pimples and acne. So beware. It's a common complaint especially in high does of 1000 mcg +

I generally drink 3-4L per day, but I can't remember what dosage of Biotin I was taking so it's possible that's what was causing the problem! Thanks for the info Wednesday!

M.McDonough
September 19th, 2018, 07:55 AM
Recommend....The recommended daily allowance is 50 - 100 mcg. I would only support Lapushka's advice with biotin in a multi-vitamin or accompanied in a B-Complex vitamin. It is balanced with that way. The DA of 50/100 is more than enough to support skin, hair and nails to grow to their optimum in a healthy person with no medical issues. Unless you are crash dieting or are severely deficient, Biotin is obtained through a well balanced diet.
To be deficient is very rare. More people are low on VD and VC and those are needed for hair as well. I don't quite understand how people focus on one vitamin and take excess doses of it. Your body needs a rainbow of vitamins because they all work together.

If you have thyroid issues, be careful of biotin. Do your research.

Too much biotin in lab tests for thyroid hormones has led doctors to diagnose Graves’ disease in children and adults. Graves’ is an autoimmune disease that causes too much thyroid hormone in children and adults. Biotin in supplements can also affect tests for heart failure, pregnancy, cancer, and iron-deficiency anemia.
https://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/news/20171129/fda-warns-biotin-can-distort-lab-tests

I would not recommend over 100 mcgs unless your physician prescribes it for medical reasons.

Thank you [10 character]

kph12
September 25th, 2018, 08:44 AM
I've been using biotin for about three years now. At first I took 10,000mcg a day but now I usually take 5,000mcg a day. When i first started taking it I noticed that i had new "baby" hairs growing all around my face and at the nape of my neck. A year after I started taking it someone took a picture of me and I realized how thick and shiny my hair looked. Also I started being able to grow really long strong nails.

Oh! And my eyelashes are so thick and long now. I have a twin sister who has never taken biotin and we used to have similar hair and eyelashes etc, and now my hair is noticeable shinier, healthier, and thicker, and my eyelashes are longer.

I will say that I do notice that my body hair grows faster too...just fyi. It wasn't an issue to me but it's just something to be aware of. Also, around the time I started taking biotin I also started taking my hair care more seriously. So that may have something to do with my hairs overall improvement BUT it doesn't explain the eyelashes ;) Have you started taking it yet? If so, which brand do you use and what is your dosage?

Joules
September 25th, 2018, 10:54 AM
I gained weight taking 1000+mcgs of biotin. So I wouldn't do that if I were you. Just find a good balanced multivitamin, it will work just fine.

Ann C
September 25th, 2018, 11:06 AM
I'm glad you asked this, I had been pondering a biotin sup also. I used to take a Kerotin/Biotin supplement but can't find it any more. The thyroid impact is good to know too.

Guitargod
September 25th, 2018, 01:39 PM
Since I came here I've been remembering to take my vitamins more regularly. It's 100% drd and I probably get at least some from my food so I'll leave it at that myself :)

sophia_
September 25th, 2018, 04:14 PM
Taking straight biotin has made my skin break out horribly, and I noticed no change in my hair growth. I do take B vitamins along with other vitamins because I'm not eating animal products at the moment, but biotin would only help if you have a deficiency or don't get it in your diet, like other vitamins. Don't take it if you don't need it- it can unnecessarily strain the liver.

thunderseed
September 25th, 2018, 05:43 PM
I just bought a bunch of supplements, 2 which are good for hair. The first one is called Hair Gro. It has a mix of herbal things good for hair, including Biotin.
The second one is Bamboo extract, because it has amazing reviews on amazon in regards to hair.
So I will update in a month or so and see if I notice a difference.

Also, if you want to stimulate more growth, fasciablasting the scalp has worked really well for some ladies.

Cymiri
September 26th, 2018, 11:20 AM
The information about Biotin and thyroid in this thread doesn't come across quite correctly.

The issue with Biotin is the Thyroid TEST. It affects all the important thyroid tests, and can thus cause them to give incorrect results. It shouldn't actually impact your thyroid itself, but it is absolutley critical you cease all Biotin supplementation about a week- 10 days before a thyroid blood draw.

*Wednesday*
September 26th, 2018, 02:18 PM
The information about Biotin and thyroid in this thread doesn't come across quite correctly.

The issue with Biotin is the Thyroid TEST. It affects all the important thyroid tests, and can thus cause them to give incorrect results. It shouldn't actually impact your thyroid itself, but it is absolutley critical you cease all Biotin supplementation about a week- 10 days before a thyroid blood draw.

The “thyroid test” is a hormonal test to test thyroid secretions. The article phrased it “lab tests for thyroid hormones.” No one said anything about biotin directly affecting the thyroid or any other organ for that matter.
The entire article talks about false results. Not sure what does not come across correctly.

g_lou
September 26th, 2018, 02:26 PM
I take a multivitamin which has 10 micro-grams (I think 100% of daily recommended) of biotin everyday and I think it may be the cause of the surprising growth spurt I having at the moment. I have noticed a few break outs but nothing major, although I will say that I take it alongside fairly high doses of other b vitamins (because of b-complex anaemia) as has been mentioned. I think the best thing you can do is ask your doctor.

M.McDonough
September 26th, 2018, 04:44 PM
I've been using biotin for about three years now. At first I took 10,000mcg a day but now I usually take 5,000mcg a day. When i first started taking it I noticed that i had new "baby" hairs growing all around my face and at the nape of my neck. A year after I started taking it someone took a picture of me and I realized how thick and shiny my hair looked. Also I started being able to grow really long strong nails.

Oh! And my eyelashes are so thick and long now. I have a twin sister who has never taken biotin and we used to have similar hair and eyelashes etc, and now my hair is noticeable shinier, healthier, and thicker, and my eyelashes are longer.

I will say that I do notice that my body hair grows faster too...just fyi. It wasn't an issue to me but it's just something to be aware of. Also, around the time I started taking biotin I also started taking my hair care more seriously. So that may have something to do with my hairs overall improvement BUT it doesn't explain the eyelashes ;) Have you started taking it yet? If so, which brand do you use and what is your dosage?

That's what I got, I still haven't taken any though

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IOZWC2M/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B00IOZWC2M&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=f52e26da-1287-4616-824b-efc564ff75a4&pf_rd_r=V2SRVKR0HHY80A3TFPDZ&pd_rd_wg=Ng7En&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_w=ZAZ2k&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pd_rd_r=7a88a9e2-c1dd-11e8-b8af-f95a7d78e913

kph12
October 4th, 2018, 01:21 PM
That's what I got, I still haven't taken any though

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IOZWC2M/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B00IOZWC2M&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=f52e26da-1287-4616-824b-efc564ff75a4&pf_rd_r=V2SRVKR0HHY80A3TFPDZ&pd_rd_wg=Ng7En&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_w=ZAZ2k&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pd_rd_r=7a88a9e2-c1dd-11e8-b8af-f95a7d78e913

I've been taking that brand for about a week and a half. So far I like it. Why haven't you started taking it yet?

Eireann
October 4th, 2018, 02:42 PM
I have been taking biotin for a couple weeks now and the most noticeable effect is on my eyelashes. I don’t even need mascara anymore. That alone is worth it! Haven’t noticed much effect on my head hair, but I don’t measure and I’m still pretty short (above shoulders.). I take 2500 mcg a day.

lapushka
October 4th, 2018, 02:54 PM
I've been taking that brand for about a week and a half. So far I like it. Why haven't you started taking it yet?

Yes I am curious about that too. :)

kph12
October 5th, 2018, 08:30 AM
I have been taking biotin for a couple weeks now and the most noticeable effect is on my eyelashes. I don’t even need mascara anymore. That alone is worth it! Haven’t noticed much effect on my head hair, but I don’t measure and I’m still pretty short (above shoulders.). I take 2500 mcg a day.

Yes! I definitely noticed it on my eyelashes first.

MemeAimee
October 5th, 2018, 08:57 PM
When I took biotin in the past, I feel it helped with my hair growth.

Katia_k
October 5th, 2018, 10:43 PM
So I am probably a major abnormality, and maybe these things were unrelated. But about a month or two after I started taking a biaten hair skin and nails vitamin, on top of my multivitamin, I ended up with a kidney stone. I was not drinking enough water, for sure, so this might not happen to other people. But I just thought the possibility should be out there. I didn't test the make-up of the stone carefully or anything, but it was the only change I made. So be cautious about doing too high a dose. What you get in good multivitamins should be plenty.

lapushka
October 6th, 2018, 08:13 AM
So I am probably a major abnormality, and maybe these things were unrelated. But about a month or two after I started taking a biaten hair skin and nails vitamin, on top of my multivitamin, I ended up with a kidney stone. I was not drinking enough water, for sure, so this might not happen to other people. But I just thought the possibility should be out there. I didn't test the make-up of the stone carefully or anything, but it was the only change I made. So be cautious about doing too high a dose. What you get in good multivitamins should be plenty.

Yep, that's how I roll. The amount of biotin in my multi is considered very low esp. compared to such high dosages, but it says:
"biotin 50µg 100%" and that is more than enough for me!