PDA

View Full Version : Winter Approaches and I Need New Styles

GrowlingCupcake
September 17th, 2018, 12:58 PM
I live in the Midwest where a hat is pretty much a must or I get severe headaches. The past few years, I'm been using pony tails since that's been the easiest but they aren't very protective. I need ideas for protective hair styles that I can start practicing now as I am a slow learner.

A few things:
I can braid but my braids are ugly as ****; I don't mind this too much, though.
The style has to fit under my hat, and shouldn't move too much.
Top buns might be viable though they make my hair look like a mess; I will probably wear these along the way, and the restyle them just before class so it doesn't look hideous.

What do you use when you have to wear winter beanies/hats?

So far, I'm leaning towards spin pins + LR pins with a simple bun, but I'd like more variation.

littlestarface
September 17th, 2018, 04:28 PM
Well I don't wear hats or beanies but I wear scarfs outside cuz of my religion and a visor on top of that for work and by far the best style I like is the amish bun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1ms8ODU42k that one stays under my scarf all day and doesn't budge an inch. My main go to bun tho is the nautalis bun or however you spell it. This one always stays up for me except for yesterday when my hair stick fell out ugh and i was at a restaurant too it was horrible. Double dutch braids are my favorite and I just bun it up, I also love crown braids, these are great for moving around.

lapushka
September 17th, 2018, 04:40 PM
I just do 1 bun, the LWB (lazy wrap bun). It is *still*, after all these years, my absolute go-to bun. And, I still can't do a Nautilus to save my life. LOL! :lol: A cinnabun is fine, but it is quite "loose" on me, so I prefer the LWB. I always do it at my crown (it just peaks through at the top).

TreesOfEternity
September 17th, 2018, 04:48 PM
I’m keeping an eye on this thread as well. I’m planning on sewing a satin cloth to the inside of my winter beanie so it doesn’t meses up with my hair so much as I as well wear it daily when winter comes.

GrowlingCupcake
September 17th, 2018, 04:52 PM
Well I don't wear hats or beanies but I wear scarfs outside cuz of my religion and a visor on top of that for work and by far the best style I like is the amish bun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1ms8ODU42k that one stays under my scarf all day and doesn't budge an inch. My main go to bun tho is the nautalis bun or however you spell it. This one always stays up for me except for yesterday when my hair stick fell out ugh and i was at a restaurant too it was horrible. Double dutch braids are my favorite and I just bun it up, I also love crown braids, these are great for moving around.

Thank you! I'll look into that.

I totally fail at braiding but maybe if I start practicing now I'll get better. I may have to make a separate post regarding that because my braids are serious fails.

I just do 1 bun, the LWB (lazy wrap bun). It is *still*, after all these years, my absolute go-to bun. And, I still can't do a Nautilus to save my life. LOL! :lol: A cinnabun is fine, but it is quite "loose" on me, so I prefer the LWB. I always do it at my crown (it just peaks through at the top).

Here's my question for both of you:
There's no way I can use a regular stick while wearing my winter hat. I'm considering asking Furnivals to make me some curved sticks just for it. But as it stands, none of my sticks will fit. That's why I'm focusing on LR u-pins, spin pins, and amish pins for this.

If you have an idea of how to make a stick stay under a hat, please please please let me know!

Groovy Granny
September 17th, 2018, 04:52 PM
I do a LWB at the nape with a Ficcare; it fits securely under any hat and there are no pins to catch in the knit.

ETA: I love Earflap Hats (http://www.redheart.com/files/patterns/pdf/LW3558.pdf)

lapushka
September 17th, 2018, 05:14 PM
Thank you! I'll look into that.

I totally fail at braiding but maybe if I start practicing now I'll get better. I may have to make a separate post regarding that because my braids are serious fails.

Here's my question for both of you:
There's no way I can use a regular stick while wearing my winter hat. I'm considering asking Furnivals to make me some curved sticks just for it. But as it stands, none of my sticks will fit. That's why I'm focusing on LR u-pins, spin pins, and amish pins for this.

If you have an idea of how to make a stick stay under a hat, please please please let me know!

I use a fork that fits (2-prong) and use a loose hat in winter or just put on a calorimetry (see knitting thread, at least I think it's in there, nope here it is):
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=38109

Zesty
September 17th, 2018, 06:36 PM
I was going to ask if you were open to changing head wear. I have a lovely calorimetry that my aunt made me, as well as a warmer hat that's roomy enough to accommodate pretty much any bun.

If you need to work with something flattish, simple braided buns seem like they would work.

Arciela
September 17th, 2018, 09:29 PM
I just put on my hat and hope for the best haha

I always try to leave my bun but I cant fit it in my hats :(

Doreen
September 17th, 2018, 10:57 PM
I recommend trying to braid on the days when you have time! Past a certain length your buns will be too big for the hats, or just look awkward. If I know I'm not going to take my hat off for outdoor activities or whatnot, I'll do a very high bun and wear my hat with a huge pom-pom. It is kind of a conehead look but even without the hair the hat would still mostly be in that shape anyway.

Corvana
September 17th, 2018, 11:02 PM
Maybe you can replace your standard sticks/forks with those u-forks made from bent knitting needles? They're basically u-pins but Big Boys so you likely only need one or two, but they're also not so big that they'll stick out a ton.

You could also do milkmaid braids! For that you just do pigtail english braids and then flip them up over your head and pin! I'd also think double buns with pins or very short forks would probably work out as well!

leayellena
September 18th, 2018, 12:54 AM
My taper grows so I find it more and more difficult to make the regular braided cinnamon.
I still can insert a spin pin right where the base of the braid begin but I can't tuck my braid under the spin pin. I have to use a second and a third pin to make an oval braided cinnamon bun.
I can still get away with a regular cinnamon bun. For now.
I found out my buns are stable if I begin with a French or Dutch braid instead of English braid. But that's of course because of the taper. The English braid of the Dutch or French braid is very thin/tapered. But maybe your buns become such as flat and stable with French and Dutch braided base.
As for freshly washed or deep conditioned hair hmm... I'll follow this thread to check if any of you lhcers have any idea :) :o :o

GrowlingCupcake
September 29th, 2018, 03:48 AM
Since there are a lot of responses, and I completely forgot about this thread xD, I may end up skipping some of you when I respond. Sorry about that! I have read all the responses, though.

I haven't tried out the Amish bun that littlestarface suggested yet, but I do plan on doing it relatively soon. I just fail so much at braiding, and things have been pretty busy at the moment so I've just been sticking my hair up, and ignoring it.

GG: I'll have to try a Ficcare under the hat. I don't know why I didn't think of that yet! If I position it right, it should fit fine. Thanks <3

Regarding caliometrys and/or changing my hat: A caliometry would not provide sufficient warmth, as I need my whole head covered; it gets windy here, and the wind blowing right onto my head gives me a bad headache. In addition, my hat is... special. I have a sentimental attachment to it (it's a Walnut Hat from Plants vs. Zombies (https://imgur.com/a1jXTRv) that my partner, and I picked up during out first PAX visit). I've worn it every winter since I got it, and I love it.

Corvana: I've been going through my fork collection, trying to find my shortest forks. Unfortunately, anything below around 4 to 3.75 inches seems to get spit out by my bun regardless of how tightly I try to wrap it. I'm still working through them all, though. I'm also waiting on a Quattro U-pin set that I am hoping will work.

Where do you find the bent knitting needle u-pins? Those should be pretty useful. Are the ends usually blunted a bit as I don't want to damage my hat. I've never used them so I don't know if they're sharp.

I prefer no DIY, btw. I suck at it.

So far, I have been trying the following:
High bun with the shortest fork I own - the high bun fits, the fork gets spat out xD
Spin pins with a low bun at my nape - the bun is still covered by my hat, and at this point is a bit hit or miss. Today when I tried it, my bun shifted, and started falling, and I had to redo it. Once I redid it, it was fine.
Spin pins with a high bun - fits, and depending on how I place my spin pins, holds fairly well.
The bridge fork I got from furnival - fits perfectly under my hat, and can support a variety of buns. I've approached Claire to talk about other potential bridge forks/sticks. I'm hoping to get similar forks in a bit of a variety of colours, and maybe with some pretty accents.
Quattro forks - I'm still waiting on a set of U-pins from him, but I tried out the smallest fork I have that has the smallest stone, a 4 inch long fork with a small Baltic amber stone (https://www.etsy.com/listing/612385455/reserved-hair-fork-by-quattro-baltic?show_sold_out_detail=1). I have not tried the smaller stones I have at 4.5 inches FPL. The amber fits with both a high or a low bun. As much as I adore Quatto forks, though, they are expensive. So I will probably just stick to the U-pins/Amish pins/Starlites once I get my first one. Then I can figure out what size I need.
U-pins from various sellers on Amazon - they don't like to stay very well. Am I not using sufficient U-pins?
Amish pins - still working these out. I think I have a pack but haven't really tried them yet.

Braids:
So I can't braid my hair for ****. I used to be great at braids but as it grew longer, it grew a lot harder, and my strands just... droop. I'm still doing my best to practice. I do have some questions though:
To braid around my mid-head, or high-head, I usually need a braid. If I keep moving around how I braid it, this should not damage it? I use threddies so hopefully that helps.
When trying to do crown braids, what tools do I use to secure them? My spin pins seem too large since my hair isn't super thick.
I'm still working in french braids/dutch braids so I haven't tried many styles with them yet.
When I do a mid-head bun with a braid, I usually coil it around like a cinnabun. This tends to end up with a pretty big bun. Does anyone have any tips for this? Should I try some different buns?

My hat:
I adore my hat. It is my favourite hat ever. But it is not lined at all with silk or satin, and I am worried about friction. I lack any sort of sewing skills so I cannot try to sew a satin cap in there to match it. I've been considering using a satin/silk scarf on my hair first, and then applying the hat, but that does tend to be a bit bunched up/cluttered. Does anyone have any better ideas? Is there a satin/silk cap I can buy that still has enough elasticity in it to allow for my bun?

NO bonnets with elastic around the side. A) They won't work under my hat, and B) that led to a lot of breakage around my nape area.

Thank you so much for all your help with this! I really want to protect my hair as much as I can this winter as winter here is cold, windy, and abysmally dry. We were supposed to get snow today but we didn't (unfortunately :(), our average temperatures are below zero from about October on out, and we get a lot of wind because we live in the plains with no natural barriers to help offset it. So I feel protecting my hair is pretty damned important.

Ideas, links to stores that might sell what I am looking for, etc, are all welcome <3

mwallingford
September 29th, 2018, 08:31 AM
Sorry I only have one piece of advice, but I would recommend magic grip hair pins for braids. I can't really attest to them *too* much since I don't wear pins very often, but when I do they stay like a dream! (I hope it's alright if I post links here)

https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Hair-Packs-Good-Days/dp/B01KIHNFUQ/ref=sr_1_5_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1538231168&sr=8-5&keywords=magic+grip+hair+pins

https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Grip-Hair-Pins-Packs/dp/B01KIHNFSS/ref=sr_1_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1538231168&sr=8-4&keywords=magic+grip+hair+pins