PDA

View Full Version : Hairsprayed Curls

msdespondent
November 3rd, 2008, 08:07 AM
Every morning when I take the bus to work, I always manage to spot at least one lady wearing her long (and most probably stick straight) hair in curls with copious amounts of hairspray to hold it. Not only do the curls it look hard and constantly wet, it causes so much damage to the hair!

I cannot comprehend what this people are thinking! :confused:

It just reminds me of a coursemate back in poly when I was doing my diploma, she was sharing her brilliant technique of curling her hair and spraying it to set. And when I asked her why she would want her hair to look like it had wet curls she replied, "So I can have straight hair today and curly hair tomorrow!"

Do any of you share my same sentiments when you see people ruining their otherwise beautiful hair?

Curlsgirl
November 3rd, 2008, 08:20 AM
Every morning when I take the bus to work, I always manage to spot at least one lady wearing her long (and most probably stick straight) hair in curls with copious amounts of hairspray to hold it. Not only do the curls it look hard and constantly wet, it causes so much damage to the hair!

I cannot comprehend what this people are thinking! :confused:

It just reminds me of a coursemate back in poly when I was doing my diploma, she was sharing her brilliant technique of curling her hair and spraying it to set. And when I asked her why she would want her hair to look like it had wet curls she replied, "So I can have straight hair today and curly hair tomorrow!"

Do any of you share my same sentiments when you see people ruining their otherwise beautiful hair?

Yes it happens when you start learning about taking care of your own hair. BUT I used to do the same things. People usually just don't know any better.

Someone will probably comment that it is each person's opinion and right to wear their hair the way they please but I do understand the "EEK" factor because I often feel it too!!!

plainjanegirl
November 3rd, 2008, 09:02 AM
Just like I didn't realize until I found TLC that people think flat ironed hair looks fake.
You learn so much after you get here.

Unofficial_Rose
November 3rd, 2008, 09:08 AM
It's a case of "I want my hair to be like this, even if I have to FORCE it to be like this." :D

I must admit I can understand, having dyed mousy wavy hair blonde and blowdried it an awful lot.

Think people do not realise how damaging it is - I certainly didn't - until they come to this place :)

Laila23
November 3rd, 2008, 10:21 AM
Yes, I agree with you. Have a lot of friends with beautiful hair that dye dye dye and do all of those other things. Their hair looks great, but for how long I wonder? I think I may have ruined my own hair by doing these same things. :/

spidermom
November 3rd, 2008, 10:55 AM
My DD has very pretty, mid-range golden blonde, naturally curly hair. She has highlights and lowlights done and frequently flat-irons her hair. She says she would rather be trendy than have natural, undamaged hair. We each get to choose what we want. No criticism necessary.

heidihug
November 3rd, 2008, 03:01 PM
I use a curling iron and hairspray on my fringe just about every day. I just do not look good without some sort of sideswept bangs, and my hair is quite straight and fine, thus the styling aids. Granted, heat never touches my length, so it's nothing like the ladies you see on the bus. I can't imagine putting on so much product that my hair looks wet or hard, or heat curling and spraying my length. But sometimes some of us need a little extra help to get a polished and tidy look. It's not all bad :).

manderly
November 3rd, 2008, 03:57 PM
I think "wet look" hair is one of THE most unattractive hairstyles. I cringe whenever I see it.

Isilme
November 3rd, 2008, 04:04 PM
well, if they like it, I hope they are happy with it. I know I'm probably going to be one of those straight/wavy haired girls who has spend much time and probably product on getting my hair curly, but it's for a special ocassion at saturday. I think I'm going to love the change:)

hipmama1970
November 3rd, 2008, 04:23 PM
Since I've been trying to be good to my hair, I do notice this.

When I was keeping my hair short, I did a lot of that sort of thing. Plus, I was in high school in the 80s, so we shaved parts off, stuck other parts straight up, and ratted out the rest. We used so much hairspray that I think the school would have gone up in a ball of flame if there'd been a decent spark! And, of course, the constant bleaching! I was always going for white, but ended up with a vaguely Ziggy Stardust orange. But, since I was cutting off regularly, the damage didn't matter.

I do cringe sometimes now when I see long hair that's "worked on" pretty regularly, flatironed, bleached out, shampooed to death. But, I figure it's their hair, and they can find information on how to keep in more pristine if it's bothering them.

Isilme
November 3rd, 2008, 04:44 PM
Since I've been trying to be good to my hair, I do notice this.

When I was keeping my hair short, I did a lot of that sort of thing. Plus, I was in high school in the 80s, so we shaved parts off, stuck other parts straight up, and ratted out the rest. We used so much hairspray that I think the school would have gone up in a ball of flame if there'd been a decent spark! And, of course, the constant bleaching! I was always going for white, but ended up with a vaguely Ziggy Stardust orange. But, since I was cutting off regularly, the damage didn't matter.

I do cringe sometimes now when I see long hair that's "worked on" pretty regularly, flatironed, bleached out, shampooed to death. But, I figure it's their hair, and they can find information on how to keep in more pristine if it's bothering them.

LOL, sounds so funny when you tell it! I would loved to hop into a time machine and be there to actually see everything horrible about the 80' everyone keeps telling.:D