PDA

View Full Version : Dog Blow Dryer?

LittleOgre
September 16th, 2018, 08:15 PM
Has anyone ever thought of using a dog blow dryer instead. I know this might sound stupid but it is just a thought since blow dryers made for dogs are specifically made to blow strong air while making sure the heat is low to none.

Doreen
September 17th, 2018, 12:54 AM
The force of air pushing out might be too much. I can see down to the dog's skin even when holding the dryer nozzle a foot away and when I hold the nozzle to my hand it takes effort not to let my hand be pushed away from it. They are made to be used from a distance greater than arm's length. The dog's hair will just lie back down but for long human hair, I think it might cause more tangles or make curls/waves look frizzy since you can't use it further away than arm's length on yourself. The dog dryers are also quite expensive and not portable. If I were to splurge on a hairdryer, I would want to go for Dyson Supersonic or something similar, not a dog dryer.

lapushka
September 17th, 2018, 04:12 AM
I think I'll stick to a regular blowdryer/diffuser. Blowdryers for dogs might have a little more "force" to them.

butterflybutton
September 17th, 2018, 05:01 AM
Nope a force dryer is no good for hair with any sort of length to it, it just swirls around and gets matted. I had to use it on my hair when it was APL (don't ask, I was unimpressed with my doggy client after that) and I spent a good few hours after work getting it detangled

LittleOgre
September 17th, 2018, 09:27 PM
Fair enough but what if you were to hold onto that length. Granted I still have short hair so I probably don't understand lol

Doreen
September 17th, 2018, 09:51 PM
Fair enough but what if you were to hold onto that length. Granted I still have short hair so I probably don't understand lol

The water tends to travel down the hair shaft when using a regular blow dryer because of how the cuticle lays, so holding the ends would likely make it dry unevenly or possibly take longer to dry. Also, for people whose hair is shorter than Hip/Tailbone it seems pretty difficult to hold the ends with one hand and manipulate the large nozzle of the dog dryer with the other hand for the sections in the back. My hair is at classic and imagining doing this still seems fairly difficult and ineffective. I can't imagine any situation where I would choose a dog dryer over just dealing with wet hair or air drying. Even at calf length, the inconvenience of having wet hair would be far outweighed by the lack of control and hassle of using a dog dryer, at least for me.

LittleOgre
September 17th, 2018, 09:54 PM
Fair enough, would you say a strong fan would be similar to a dog dryer in basically not being effective and just causing a lot of tangles and knots?

Doreen
September 17th, 2018, 09:58 PM
Fair enough, would you say a strong fan would be similar to a dog dryer in basically not being effective and just causing a lot of tangles and knots?
I would imagine so. If I go out on a very breezy day with my hair down, I end up with quite a few tangles by the end of it, and a fan or dog dryer are significantly stronger than the strongest breeze I've felt.

s there any particular reason why you are interested in hair dryer alternatives?

lucid
September 18th, 2018, 02:19 AM
I would be worried of mechanical damage from the strength of the dryer, as well as damage from tangles.

Remember that some of the them are so strong that they can blow sand and dirt directly out of thick fur without even needing to wash the dog first.

Crna Kosa
September 18th, 2018, 04:13 AM
Why would you use dog blow dryer when there exists regular hair blow dryer with cool settings?

cathair
September 18th, 2018, 07:14 AM

A few people here use fans to dry their hair, myself included in the summer. Not so that hair is blowing about like a scene in a film on a windy day though, more just a breeze :) You don't want to hair to move too much because it can cause mechanical damage as well as tangling.