PDA

View Full Version : Hair tangling in the pool

CreatureBailey
September 15th, 2018, 05:51 PM
So I went to the pool with my dad to film videos of me swimming with my mermaid tail for a school project. I had my hair tied and I pulled the elastic down to get it off my hair while in the water and I must have done it wrong cause I don't do that a lot. And my hair is really long so the ends kinda twirled in the water and tangled all around my elastic. (It was a really good hair-friendly elastic) but it still happed. About 1/3 or 1/4 of about 2 year worth of growth were really stuck and tangled around the elastic. I spent like 15 minutes trying to get it off. I tried to be careful. I didn't pull it too severly, I was trying to finger detangle even though it was wet because the elastic was stuck. My dad was trying to help, he kept reaching his hands out towards my hair to try to detangle this big mess himself, but I mean he doesn't know how to detangle long hair, also he doesn't know how to detangle wet hair gently like we know. He would have most probably caused damage to 1/4 or 1/3 of two years worth of growth...Eek. He kept holding his hands out saying ''let me try'' (imagine letting an inexperience person tug and pull, break and snap this huge amount of growth and this huge fraction of your hair that you're taking care of for so long). I was backing away, scared, and literally shrieking at him in front of everyone else like a huge fool. But I meanhe was just about to destroy all this hair. This would have set this huge part of my hair TWO YEARS back. Two years worth of growth seriously damaged. I'm not mad at him, he was just trying to help. I'm just extremely upset that this happened. When I asked him for scissors, he was asking if it was to cut my hair. I looked at him crying and I was like ''I'm not gonna cut away two years worth of growth, two years of care and effort and patience, what the heck!!!''

I'm so upset and unstable. I cut the elastic and my hair is detanlged now, but just this and my attempt to detangle it and my elastic might have caused damage? Did it? I'm just so frustrated because like everyone here I care for my hair and I wouldn't just set myself back this much. I don't mind cutting a couple months of growth, but this happening was very terryfying and frustrating, after all the patience and care I put in my hair growth! It was a very risky accident. If I let my dad help I would have said goodbye to this big part of my hair, that would have took years to recover. I might have cause damage to my hair (do you guys think it did?) because of one stupid accident.

I'm feeling so upset that we can spend years putting effort and patience into that, and then stupid stuff like that happens. I know since it's long it messes with the laws of physics more and we need to be careful, but I feel that after all we do we don't deserve to have any threat to our work. It's like I spent years caring of my hair just for the universe to be like ''Na na na na na!!! HAHAHAHA!!''

All I did was mermaiding. It was supposed to be a fun activity. It turned into a real mess. I was so upset that this dangerous accident happened, and that my dad suggested to cut this huge part off, as if all those years of growth meant nothing. Like I would just easily say goodbye to them. In a few seconds. Because of one small badluck.

I hope this didn't cause damage. It's so hard to keep it healthy, even if we do everything right. I feel as if I was a person trying to get fit and making so much effort, only to have a random unhealthy hamburger shoved down my stomach. I feel like I'm being into this hair journey and the universe just treats it like a funny joke. I was so upset, I spent the rest of the time crying. It turned into a bad event. It turned bad and sad, I was so unstable. And I was trying to have a fun time with my dad. And I feel so guilty that our fun time turned into me crying and shrieking in front of everyone because there was a serious threat to something I've worked hard on. I just can't accept it, I wish my hair journey wouldn't be a joke. :boohoo::(

Obsidian
September 15th, 2018, 07:01 PM
Have you ever wondered if you are too attached to your hair? I can understand not wanting to lose two years of growth but freaking out at your dad who was just trying to help over nothing more than a tangled elastic seems like a extreme response.
Thinking your dad or others seeing your hair journey as a joke isn't fair either. Most people are not going to see a tangled elastic and a few snapped hairs as a serious threat and I'm sure he was confused by your reaction and possibly hurt too.
Not trying to be mean here but have you considered seeing a therapist? Obsession over any body part is unhealthy and your hair seems to cause you considerable stress. I mean, its just hair and if you did have to cut some, it would grow back. Its not like your life was in danger.

Glitch
September 15th, 2018, 07:11 PM
Ahh, I really do feel you. Especially with the "it's so hard to keep it healthy, even if we do everything right" as I've experienced that so many times. One time I went like half a year without using heat and that was a huge accomplishment for me, only to go back to deep frying it every night during a family wedding trip lol. All that effort for nothing! I had also found just the right hair oils that worked for me once, until one day I magically became allergic to one of them and shed so much hair. The most recent time were these past few months when I was studying for an exam. I'd throw my hair up in any awful hair tie as long as it worked, since I was just worried about having my hair out of my face. I totally damaged some strands that would keep getting caught.

All I can say is, a lot of these things are just apart of life and dwelling on them so much really won't help at all. I'm glad I have hair at all :p I'm sure in due time, just like me, you'll come to accept the ups and downs of this journey, even if you can't even imagine that right now. And hey, the 'mermaid event' happened, and you can only get better :) I remember balling my eyes and freaking out in front of my family when growing up just due to bad haircuts lol, that weren't even that bad honestly. Hair journeys are really personal and definitely frustrating at times - I'm sure these threads wouldn't exist if it was all so easy. Mastering haircare is like a giant project, and it really sucks when things go wrong, but we learn and get wiser! I know you're devastated right now with all that happened and rightfully so, but a year from now, this will probably be nothing more than an interesting memory to you, believe me ;) You will be absolutely fine in time :heartbeat

Xu
September 15th, 2018, 08:06 PM
I used to be like this but honestly, at the end of the day it's a waste of time and energy to be upset if something like this happens. As for myself i remember cutting damage without batting an eye many times because health of hair is more important to me than length. And after that, the less i think about it the faster it seems to grow back. The way i care for my hair now is as if it's a video game, should be fun and rewarding in a way but also not the end of the world if it's not perfect.

AutobotsAttack
September 15th, 2018, 08:12 PM
Next time you go swimming opt for a swimming cap. If no cap, then section your hair and clip it down flat (kind of like a wet wrap). If you also don’t have a cap, drench your hair in conditioner or distilled water.

I personally don’t like getting my hair wet in the pool or beach, so I just keep it clipped up and keep the neck on up of my body, out of the water.

But I agree on the subject of either thinking through your attachment with your hair, or maybe seeking counseling.

I’ve gotten my hair caught in the cogs of the disposal while washing my hair in the sink. Took off maybe 1-2 inches on the left side. Grew back evenly after like 6 months. You’ll be fine.

lithostoic
September 15th, 2018, 08:15 PM
Chill out. This level of obsession is unhealthy. Idc if this makes someone angry because it needs to be said.

littlestarface
September 15th, 2018, 08:22 PM
Woah something as silly as this, which i'm sure all of us have been through I know I have that's for sure :rollin: I can't even count how many times I got elastics stuck and tangled in my hair wooo but I digress. Something like this should've been more of a funny panicky thing but you turned it into a horrible painful nightmare.

CreatureBailey
September 15th, 2018, 09:46 PM
Have you ever wondered if you are too attached to your hair? I can understand not wanting to lose two years of growth but freaking out at your dad who was just trying to help over nothing more than a tangled elastic seems like a extreme response.
Thinking your dad or others seeing your hair journey as a joke isn't fair either. Most people are not going to see a tangled elastic and a few snapped hairs as a serious threat and I'm sure he was confused by your reaction and possibly hurt too.
Not trying to be mean here but have you considered seeing a therapist? Obsession over any body part is unhealthy and your hair seems to cause you considerable stress. I mean, its just hair and if you did have to cut some, it would grow back. Its not like your life was in danger.

About 1/3 of my entire head of hair was tangled around that elastic. And he was going to try to finger detangle 1/3 of my entire hair with no experience, just yanking at it. He was going to very clumsily pull at 1/3 of all my hair. It's NOT just ''a few snapped hairs'', that's the whole point. Almost all of the left side of my head. It would have been 1/3 of my entire hair snapped.

Also I never said I thought HE saw it as a joke. I very clearly said the universe does. And I very clearly said I know he was trying to help.

CreatureBailey
September 15th, 2018, 09:55 PM
You guys seem to have not understand at all that a very important fraction of my entire head of hair was caught. NOT just a few hairs. Also you seem to have not understand that it was not just a few inches, it was 2 years of growth. On 1/3 of my hair.

If I had to cut it I would have my hair at classic length with my left side all the way back to like above my hip.

I basically almost lost 2 years worth of growth - not just a few months - because if I had to cut the left side of my head all the way to above hip I would have had to cut everything.

You guys are reacting as if it was just a few hairs, caught only at the ends. I explained many times in the message exactly what the situation was. If you had almost just lost 2 YEARS worth of growth you'd be really upset too. It's not two months it's two years.

Brittny
September 15th, 2018, 10:17 PM
It sounds like you had a really hard time, so I'm glad to hear you managed to detangle your hair. Pools often have chemicals in the water that makes hair more prone to extreme tangling. I too have fallen victim to the infamous snag of a hair tie, sometimes resulting to a quick snip - though luckily it was only a few strands. My dad also does not have much experience with hair, he shaves his head and does not have the gentlest of hands when I asked for help brushing as a kid. I wouldn't think your hair became seriously damaged through this experience, but maybe a couple days of conditioning and protective hair styles will make you feel at ease? :waving:

CreatureBailey
September 15th, 2018, 10:24 PM
It sounds like you had a really hard time, so I'm glad to hear you managed to detangle your hair. Pools often have chemicals in the water that makes hair more prone to extreme tangling. I too have fallen victim to the infamous snag of a hair tie, sometimes resulting to a quick snip - though luckily it was only a few strands. My dad also does not have much experience with hair, he shaves his head and does not have the gentlest of hands when I asked for help brushing as a kid. I wouldn't think your hair became seriously damaged through this experience, but maybe a couple days of conditioning and protective hair styles will make you feel at ease? :waving:

I think I'll condition my hair just cause I was in chlorine. :P And yeah, the thing with me is I wouldn't have had to do a quick snip, I would have had to basically set myself back two years. I would have had to end up going from classic to like where I was when I was in 11th grade. This is pretty bad, and it would upset anyone, and it's as if almost no one validates how upsetting it was? Anyone would be upset if they were forced to get rid of so much growth.

Jo Ann
September 15th, 2018, 10:37 PM
Your father could have been asking for scissors to snip the elastic--that would be MY go-to.

This from a person who lost a few inches after plugging in the vacuum cleaner after replacing a belt and cleaning off the beater bar, and forgot to tie her hair back. The front of my hair got caught in the rug beater, but I took it as a learning experience and, now, NEVER do work on the vacuum cleaner (even changing the bag), without putting my hair up.

Live and learn.

littlestarface
September 15th, 2018, 10:42 PM
Your father could have been asking for scissors to snip the elastic--that would be MY go-to.

This from a person who lost a few inches after plugging in the vacuum cleaner after replacing a belt and cleaning off the beater bar, and forgot to tie her hair back. The front of my hair got caught in the rug beater, but I took it as a learning experience and, now, NEVER do work on the vacuum cleaner (even changing the bag), without putting my hair up.

Live and learn.

Oh dear lord!!!!!! now that is horrifying

A couple of times I got gum in my hair and not as a kid as like a month ago and another time a couple of years ago I had to cut a huge chunk off but oh well, its all grown now.

Corvana
September 15th, 2018, 10:55 PM
You guys seem to have not understand at all that a very important fraction of my entire head of hair was caught. NOT just a few hairs. Also you seem to have not understand that it was not just a few inches, it was 2 years of growth. On 1/3 of my hair.

If I had to cut it I would have my hair at classic length with my left side all the way back to like above my hip.

I basically almost lost 2 years worth of growth - not just a few months - because if I had to cut the left side of my head all the way to above hip I would have had to cut everything.

You guys are reacting as if it was just a few hairs, caught only at the ends. I explained many times in the message exactly what the situation was. If you had almost just lost 2 YEARS worth of growth you'd be really upset too. It's not two months it's two years.

I believe this comes from a misunderstanding in your OP. You'd said you had "1/4 to 1/3 of 2 years of growth" tangled up, which means that you had about 6 to 8 months of hair tangled up. You did not say that you had 2 years worth of growth tangled up in 1/4-1/3 of your head. There's a HUGE difference in those two statements, and that's exactly what caused people to be confused by your seemingly extreme reaction. I was just as confused and shocked as well, because yeah half a year or so is still a lot of growth, but IMO still not so much to be screaming and sobbing over.

I'm sure your hair is fine, just baby your ends a bit until you're sure there's no lasting damage.

lithostoic
September 15th, 2018, 11:17 PM
I believe this comes from a misunderstanding in your OP. You'd said you had "1/4 to 1/3 of 2 years of growth" tangled up, which means that you had about 6 to 8 months of hair tangled up. You did not say that you had 2 years worth of growth tangled up in 1/4-1/3 of your head. There's a HUGE difference in those two statements, and that's exactly what caused people to be confused by your seemingly extreme reaction. I was just as confused and shocked as well, because yeah half a year or so is still a lot of growth, but IMO still not so much to be screaming and sobbing over.

I'm sure your hair is fine, just baby your ends a bit until you're sure there's no lasting damage.

This is how I interpreted it as well. I apologize for my harshness. But still, it is not the end of the world!! Some conditioner or oil would work it right out, I know from personal experience :) It's definitely scary when this happens. I like to prevent it from happening at all by saturating my hair in conditioner before entering the pool.

CreatureBailey
September 16th, 2018, 07:24 AM

Yeah I understand that I probably misphrased that. English is not my first language. I realize my explanation is more accurate if I had said 2 years worth of growth in 1/4 or 1/3. I thought the other phrasing was the good one. I apologize for the misunderstanding. :flower:

CreatureBailey
September 16th, 2018, 08:54 AM
So yeah, basically, 2 years worth of growth in a huge fraction of my hair was caught. And my dad was about to just rip and snap and tear all of this hair up to free the elastic. Like instead of finger detangling gently he would have just grabbed the hairs and broke them apart like you tear up a piece of paper you know what I mean? I don't know if it was just a couple hairs caught and he would have snapped them, I would have just snipped them with scissors to give them a fresh healthy cut after the snap. But he was holding his hands out towards me, about to SNAP AND BREAK the entire left side of my head. If I had taken length shots from the back you would have seen the complete left side of my whole hair completely torn and broken and snapped up to my hip or waist. I would have had to cut my hair completely. Not just a trim. I would have lost two years of patience and caring.

That's what almost happened yesterday.

Imagine being on LHC learning about how you have to be extra gentle with detangling and handling hair to avoid damage and breaking, especially wet hair. And you spend all these years handling them gently to prevent damage, cutting split ends, doing S&D, walking on egg shells to avoid damage. Only to have someone threaten to suddenly undo ALL of that in just a few seconds. (I know he was trying to help...still. If I didn't quickly backed away he would have got his hands on my hair and totally ruined them).

I had to defend the health of my hair that I've been working on for years. And I feel like after all these years of caring for my hair I didn't deserve my hair to be threatened like that. It's not fair. If you saw a person trying to get fit for years you'd understand their upsetness if someone dangerously approached them with a huge plate of junk food, about to force it down their stomachs.

I'm also really upset that he suggested to just cut it all off. Like I've come all this way with my growth since years and it's like he expected me to just be like ''Ah well. Too bad. Two years of my hair is caught. Lol. Just gonna throw those two years down the drain. I'm just gonna cut it all off lol. Those two years don't matter AT ALL.'' It's insulting because everyone on LHC would be upset as heck if two years of their progress was threatened. We're not speaking of just a few months. I cut months of my hair every 6 months.

I'm not mad at my dad cause he just has no idea about hair which is understandable.. but I'm mad that it happened. I'm mad I had to back away to avoid having someone snap all of my hair dangerously and ruin YEARS of work. I'm mad I got suggested to cut off those years of work like they were nothing. I mean what the heck? I'm mad that you can spend years growing like 20 cm (with trims) only to have this hardly worked for 20 cm just POOF! possibly vanish. It's like the universe is trying to tell us: ''Boooo! Don't grow your hair!'' It's like if you wrote a book for years you wouldn't want someone to approach you and just tear 1/3 of the pages.

Yeah, I'm really upset. I'm barely out of my teen years yo.

lithostoic
September 16th, 2018, 09:11 AM
IT IS HAIR. IT GROWS BACK. You need help for real if you think your response was normal. The universe is not out to get you omg

MusicalSpoons
September 16th, 2018, 09:28 AM
I think the lesson here is don't use a hairtie, especially if you're going into water. They are not hair-friendly for delicate hair. The way you describe pulling it down I can absolutely see what you mean, and I winced reading it, because OUCH. I don't think there's any right way of doing it; tangles are almost inevitable.

It's hair, yes you've worked for it, but I think your response is still disproportionate and most likely amplified by fear (and possibly subconscious anger at yourself, for causing such tangles? I don't know) I totally understand having your response initially - I may well have felt similarly, in your situation! BUT you now have to let go, learn from it, and move on :flower: Take comfort from the fact you didn't lose all that hair, and be grateful for that too :)

CreatureBailey
September 16th, 2018, 09:57 AM
IT IS HAIR. IT GROWS BACK. You need help for real if you think your response was normal. The universe is not out to get you omg

It grows back but it would have took TWO YEARS.

enting
September 16th, 2018, 09:58 AM
It never would have occurred to me to cut the elastic, go you!
I don't know if it would help in the future to undo elastics one loop at a time over your hair, not to pull it all at once. Gosh I've had tangles from elastics that I just ripped through back before I knew about taking care of hair properly. It can be a right mess. I don't know what I would do if that much of my hair got tangled up. I would probably stick it under a wrap and work on it a tiny bit at a time over many days, but it sounds like you needed it loose for the camera right then.

Last spring I accidentally got a chunk of my hair caught in a fan. I lost a chunk a handspan long. If it had cut into my length past where I was happy with I probably would have been very upset. As it was I didn't mind too terribly because even that shorter chunk was past waist (which was my original goal). I think DH was more upset about it than I was. I can see how the prospect of losing any length at all when you're still struggling to get to a length you like can be pretty devastating.

lithostoic
September 16th, 2018, 09:58 AM
That doesn't mean you have to scream like a lunatic. It's still just hair.

CreatureBailey
September 16th, 2018, 11:20 AM
That doesn't mean you have to scream like a lunatic. It's still just hair.

You guys are always on this forum talking about hair care and hair growth, and when someone arrives and says ''I almost lost 2 whole years of progress today. Eeek.'' you say ''it's just hair''? I thought out of everyone else you guys would understand this whole deal the most?

Who wants to be unfairly set back two years in their journey? I'm pretty sure if it happened to people here they would be upset too. Two years of work down the drain really does suck.

CreatureBailey
September 16th, 2018, 11:26 AM
It never would have occurred to me to cut the elastic, go you!
I don't know if it would help in the future to undo elastics one loop at a time over your hair, not to pull it all at once. Gosh I've had tangles from elastics that I just ripped through back before I knew about taking care of hair properly. It can be a right mess. I don't know what I would do if that much of my hair got tangled up. I would probably stick it under a wrap and work on it a tiny bit at a time over many days, but it sounds like you needed it loose for the camera right then.

Last spring I accidentally got a chunk of my hair caught in a fan. I lost a chunk a handspan long. If it had cut into my length past where I was happy with I probably would have been very upset. As it was I didn't mind too terribly because even that shorter chunk was past waist (which was my original goal). I think DH was more upset about it than I was. I can see how the prospect of losing any length at all when you're still struggling to get to a length you like can be pretty devastating.

I'm so glad you understand. It is really scary, and unfair. If we spend so long working for something it shouldn't just be ripped away from us. I feel like the universe went ''heck with you and your hardwork, LOL. You're a joke''.

littlestarface
September 16th, 2018, 11:29 AM
You guys are always on this forum talking about hair care and hair growth, and when someone arrives and says ''I almost lost 2 whole years of progress today. Eeek.'' you say ''it's just hair''? I thought out of everyone else you guys would understand this whole deal the most?

Who wants to be unfairly set back two years in their journey? I'm pretty sure if it happened to people here they would be upset too. Two years of work down the drain really does suck.

It does happen to people here a lot of people here but they don't say they flipped out,screamed and cried in front of everyone like a maniac. They're sad and move on, its gonna grow again.

MusicalSpoons
September 16th, 2018, 11:40 AM

Genuine question here: What sort of response are you looking for? We can do 'ugh that must have been scary' and sympathise, but beyond that ... responding to you to confirm and join in the drama isn't productive for anyone, and this thread seems to have thrown up a separate issue tbh.

Yes it must have been scary, and felt horrible. I cringed when I read the part about the tangles, and the majority of members here can understand that. But again I say, it's much healthier to learn from it, be grateful it wasn't worse, and move on :flowers:

CreatureBailey
September 16th, 2018, 12:05 PM
It does happen to people here a lot of people here but they don't say they flipped out,screamed and cried in front of everyone like a maniac. They're sad and move on, its gonna grow again.

You guys are mostly adults and I'm barely got out of high school. We still have a teenage brain until we're like 25. I cried and flipped because it was literally THAT upsetting. I don't have to justify my reaction. Nobody reacts the same to stuff anyways. If you're able to remain calm then good for you. Doesn't mean it will be that for me. It was THAT unsettling and it still is. I don't come here to be criticized about the way I feel all the time. I was hoping that you guys would show me a bit of understanding.

CreatureBailey
September 16th, 2018, 12:07 PM
Genuine question here: What sort of response are you looking for? We can do 'ugh that must have been scary' and sympathise, but beyond that ... responding to you to confirm and join in the drama isn't productive for anyone, and this thread seems to have thrown up a separate issue tbh.

Yes it must have been scary, and felt horrible. I cringed when I read the part about the tangles, and the majority of members here can understand that. But again I say, it's much healthier to learn from it, be grateful it wasn't worse, and move on :flowers:

Every single time I even dare to post a thread it goes into a seperate issue. It's not normal that in my real life I'm known for being the most easygoing, staying out of drama person, and yet when I'm here there's always drama around me. I'm NOT a person who ends up arguing with everyone and causing trouble, I'm actually the complete opposite, it's so frustrating that I have to appear a wrong way on here all the time. :(

ravenskey
September 16th, 2018, 12:36 PM
Every single time I even dare to post a thread it goes into a seperate issue. It's not normal that in my real life I'm known for being the most easygoing, staying out of drama person, and yet when I'm here there's always drama around me. I'm NOT a person who ends up arguing with everyone and causing trouble, I'm actually the complete opposite, it's so frustrating that I have to appear a wrong way on here all the time. :(

The way I see it OP is that you said what happened and other people simply stated their opinions on it, which is what this forum is about.

I am sorry that you almost lost all that growth but you didn't. Your hair is still intact and even if it did get damaged, it's hair it grows. And as you said, you're still young, not the end of the world.

Also as an aside: I am a teenager who is still in secondary school, so arguing that most people here are adults who don't get it might not be the best thing to say.

littlestarface
September 16th, 2018, 12:48 PM
You guys are mostly adults and I'm barely got out of high school. We still have a teenage brain until we're like 25. I cried and flipped because it was literally THAT upsetting. I don't have to justify my reaction. Nobody reacts the same to stuff anyways. If you're able to remain calm then good for you. Doesn't mean it will be that for me. It was THAT unsettling and it still is. I don't come here to be criticized about the way I feel all the time. I was hoping that you guys would show me a bit of understanding.

But you said if it did happen to someone and I explained to you that yea it does happen here but they don't react like this. We've all had horrible things happen to our hair trust me and even in teen years but the bottom line is it'll grow again. And reacting a certain way isn't just cuz you just left teen years lol come on dude, this mentality is how you are cuz of you and not your age.

*Wednesday*
September 16th, 2018, 01:09 PM
...We still have a teenage brain until we're like 25. ..

I'm glad your tangle is out. I pulled out pieces of hair from Tangles, said a few curse words and I was all good.

Meanwhile back at the ranch..... I'd like some scientific backing for the above. I was a mother at 23 a full-time job in accounting and on my own. I had far from a teenage brain at 25. The male species....maybe

spidermom
September 16th, 2018, 01:19 PM
The whole incident was unfortunate for sure, especially the freaking out at your dad in public,

Estrid
September 16th, 2018, 01:24 PM
I'm glad your tangle is out. I pulled out pieces of hair from Tangles, said a few curse words and I was all good.

Meanwhile back at the ranch..... I'd like some scientific backing for the above. I was a mother at 23 a full-time job in accounting and on my own. I had far from a teenage brain at 25. The male species....maybe

Making children is hardly something that's related to the development of the brain and a job is required for one to live somewhat well.

The brain isn't "finished in the development" or whatever to call it until around age 25, that's probably what she meant, I wouldn't call it a "teenage brain" though :p

CreatureBailey, I understand that the event itself must've been quite scary, we all do care quite a bit about our hair here, and going back years in progress involuntarily isn't something anyone wants. Your reaction was maybe a bit over the top, but for younger people it's not too strange.

I think you should just take a deep breath and be relieved that you didn't have to cut your hair, you made it! It was just a scary scenario that didn't lead to anything, be happy about it. There is no need to feel stress about it afterwards, it's over :o If something similar were to ever happen again, I would advice you to try to remain calm since ones own irrational emotions can spiral into panic quite easily if given the chance and that emotion can linger, it just isn't pleasant.

Good call to cut the elastic :thumbsup:

Corvana
September 16th, 2018, 01:52 PM
Yeah I understand that I probably misphrased that. English is not my first language. I realize my explanation is more accurate if I had said 2 years worth of growth in 1/4 or 1/3. I thought the other phrasing was the good one. I apologize for the misunderstanding. :flower:

It's absolutely fine! But I caught it and wanted to stop the panic before it really got rolling once I realized what happened! And if it's easier, perhaps just using a guess on the cm of length would work too? Average 2 years of growth is about 30cm, which is a lot and by phrasing it that way it's more clear as well.

Corvana
September 16th, 2018, 01:58 PM
I think the lesson here is don't use a hairtie, especially if you're going into water. They are not hair-friendly for delicate hair. The way you describe pulling it down I can absolutely see what you mean, and I winced reading it, because OUCH. I don't think there's any right way of doing it; tangles are almost inevitable.

It's hair, yes you've worked for it, but I think your response is still disproportionate and most likely amplified by fear (and possibly subconscious anger at yourself, for causing such tangles? I don't know) I totally understand having your response initially - I may well have felt similarly, in your situation! BUT you now have to let go, learn from it, and move on :flower: Take comfort from the fact you didn't lose all that hair, and be grateful for that too :)

This is exactly what I wanted to say!

Now that you've had a little time and distance from it, you can maybe see what went wrong with clearer and calmer eyes and can figure out a way to prevent it in the future. Gently removing the hair tie, not using one at all if your hair is going to get wet, etc etc.

CreatureBailey
September 16th, 2018, 02:14 PM
Making children is hardly something that's related to the development of the brain and a job is required for one to live somewhat well.

The brain isn't "finished in the development" or whatever to call it until around age 25, that's probably what she meant, I wouldn't call it a "teenage brain" though :p

CreatureBailey, I understand that the event itself must've been quite scary, we all do care quite a bit about our hair here, and going back years in progress involuntarily isn't something anyone wants. Your reaction was maybe a bit over the top, but for younger people it's not too strange.

I think you should just take a deep breath and be relieved that you didn't have to cut your hair, you made it! It was just a scary scenario that didn't lead to anything, be happy about it. There is no need to feel stress about it afterwards, it's over :o If something similar were to ever happen again, I would advice you to try to remain calm since ones own irrational emotions can spiral into panic quite easily if given the chance and that emotion can linger, it just isn't pleasant.

Good call to cut the elastic :thumbsup:

Thank you :blossom:

CreatureBailey
September 16th, 2018, 02:15 PM
This is exactly what I wanted to say!

Now that you've had a little time and distance from it, you can maybe see what went wrong with clearer and calmer eyes and can figure out a way to prevent it in the future. Gently removing the hair tie, not using one at all if your hair is going to get wet, etc etc.

Yeah I think I'm gonna wear my hair loose in the water from now on. I just hope so much that this part of my hair didn't end up with a bunch of split ends and damage.

Corvana
September 16th, 2018, 02:19 PM
Yeah I think I'm gonna wear my hair loose in the water from now on. I just hope so much that this part of my hair didn't end up with a bunch of split ends and damage.

If you can, look into something like a flexi (idk if it'd be great as it's metal, but something similar would work I think?) or even just an acrylic stick/fork. They're waterproof, and will help protect your hair some while you swim. But taking them all out will IMO be best done at home in the shower with conditioner to be sure any tangling is at a minimum, and just rinsing with fresh water before you leave the swimming area to get rid of whatever type of water you swam in would be enough. I know here at the swimming pools there are showers for rinsing off in, and they have them at beaches as well.

lapushka
September 16th, 2018, 02:34 PM
So I went to the pool with my dad to film videos of me swimming with my mermaid tail for a school project. I had my hair tied and I pulled the elastic down to get it off my hair while in the water and I must have done it wrong cause I don't do that a lot. And my hair is really long so the ends kinda twirled in the water and tangled all around my elastic. (It was a really good hair-friendly elastic) but it still happed. About 1/3 or 1/4 of about 2 year worth of growth were really stuck and tangled around the elastic.

See, that's where it started. You "unwind" an elastic from the hair, you don't, never ever, just pull it out. :flower:

MusicalSpoons
September 16th, 2018, 03:25 PM
If you can, look into something like a flexi (idk if it'd be great as it's metal, but something similar would work I think?) or even just an acrylic stick/fork. They're waterproof, and will help protect your hair some while you swim. But taking them all out will IMO be best done at home in the shower with conditioner to be sure any tangling is at a minimum, and just rinsing with fresh water before you leave the swimming area to get rid of whatever type of water you swam in would be enough. I know here at the swimming pools there are showers for rinsing off in, and they have them at beaches as well.

An acrylic stick or fork is absolutely your best bet :agree: I find wet hair holds far better than dry hair, so even if you're not accustomed to wearing a hairstick in a bun, if you soak your hair in fresh water or conditioner before swimming, it should hold a lot better than when dry. Alternatively, I know many on here use claw clips in the shower, so they're something to consider too :)

Slightly off-topic here; CreatureBailey, I'm not looking for a response to what I'm about to say, and please don't read any judgement into it either, because there absolutely is none whatsoever: if you haven't already done this, please make sure you've explained to your dad why you reacted the way you did, and apologise for any unintentional hurt feelings. I don't know you or your dad, but I know a lot of parents and I know dads especially might not say anything when they feel hurt, and when they try to help their child and are pushed away, that usually hurts. Again, no judgement here whatsoever, but it dawned on me that you may not yet have had chance to realise this needed to be done :flower:

Oh, don't forget that if the part of your hair that tangled did suffer splits, you can always snip off the splits individually without having to sacrifice a huge chunk of length :)

TreesOfEternity
September 16th, 2018, 03:59 PM
See, that's where it started. You "unwind" an elastic from the hair, you don't, never ever, just pull it out. :flower:

Exactly my thoughts hehe.
OP don't feel attacked, everyone understands how scary the situation must have been. But you also have to take responsability and understand that it was you who made the tangle by removing an elastic in probably the most dangerous way (pulling it out, on wet hair, UNDER the water), so maybe use part of that energy for making some insight / self criticism instead of thinking the universe is against you or making it sound as if your father had you tied to a chair about to rip your hair apart hehe :flower:

Natalia_A00
September 16th, 2018, 04:14 PM
I don't think your dad finds your hair journey stupid or something like that. Maybe he can't understand it as you do, but I'm sure he only wanted to help and asked that just out of curiosity.
But I feel you, I'm very concerned about breakage and I cut split ends, and some people in my family and friends tell me I'm too obsesssed or that I'm annoying. I hate when they say that. Everybody has their own hobbies, and one of mine is taking care of my hair. I hate that when someone is really interested or passionate about something, people tell him that he's "annoying."
On the other hand when they give me advice or try to help me they just do it the wrong way because they are not informed (for example my mother tells me that I'm going to destroy my hair because once in a while I cut split ends or damage. She says that what I see is not real, it's my imagination). I don't mind about that, I just try to have patience. I know their intentions are good.

GrowlingCupcake
September 16th, 2018, 04:49 PM
OP, I completely understand how scary the situation must have been then, and how difficult it would be to lose two years worth of growth. But I do feel that your reaction is a bit over the top.

I recently found out that I may have lost up to 0.75 inches of my pony tail circumference. Given my hair is around 33 inches, that's over five years worth of growth with no trims. My reaction to it? Sadness, anxiety that it was something I did, and then letting go of it because it is just hair. If my thickness dropping isn't a permanent thing, it's going to take me five years to get that thickness back to this length, and who knows how long to get it to my goal length. But, at the end of the day, it is just hair. I think this is a lesson you have to learn as well. It's not an easy one to learn - certainly wasn't for me! - so start trying to learn it now :flower:

As for the state of your hair now, don't worry too much about it! Just pay attention to it, and see what needs to be done. And be careful with elastics in the future :)

*Wednesday*
September 16th, 2018, 05:04 PM

Rearing them, not making them. I think some people lack the ability to handle things with finesss but is that developmental or personality? I work with women in their 40's and 50's which react to things in such a way it's part of their personality and has nothing to do with their brain development.
The general consensus appears to be over-reactive here.

CB, have you considered maybe Yoga or meditation?

littlestarface
September 16th, 2018, 05:06 PM
Rearing them, not making them. I think some people lack the ability to handle things with finesss but is that developmental or personality? I work with women in their 40's and 50's which react to things in such a way it's part of their personality and has nothing to do with their brain development.

Exactly! It has nothing to do with brain development or age lol. If your a whiny brat your gonna be a whiny brat at 40 too.

*Wednesday*
September 16th, 2018, 05:16 PM
Exactly! It has nothing to do with brain development or age lol. If your a whiny brat your gonna be a whiny brat at 40 too.

Right. I work with one every day. She just turned 50. If it's not whining or screechy complaining, (complaining it'll go on for days complaining about the same thing over and over) she cries. Never went out for drinks with her after work because it's the self-absorbed complaining.

GrowlingCupcake
September 16th, 2018, 05:30 PM
Personality/temperament is not the same as a fully developed brain. Neuroscientists, and psychologists list 25 as the age by which brain development is complete for the average person.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3621648/

"It is well established that the brain undergoes a “rewiring” process that is not complete until approximately 25 years of age."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892678/

"Longitudinal neuroimaging studies demonstrate that the adolescent brain continues to mature well into the 20s."

"The frontal lobes, home to key components of the neural circuitry underlying “executive functions” such as planning, working memory, and impulse control, are among the last areas of the brain to mature; they may not be fully developed until halfway through the third decade of life"

Those are just two articles; there are a lot of papers discussing this but I'm not sure how many of them are free to read. It is considered a well established fact that the brain is only fully developed at around 25.

CreatureBailey
September 16th, 2018, 05:44 PM
I don't go to the pool a lot these days, and when I do, I never take my pony tail out, I keep it. I never thought it would happen. I don't think I'm ready to forget.

I'm also upset because I paid 11$ for me and my dad to go and I barely had a chance to swim around for my money's worth. (I don't know if that phrasing is correct). I wasted all my fun time at the pool in the corner trying to get the elastic off my hair.

And when I finally got it out, my dad was all like ''we're going in 5 minutes'' and I just looked at him and went ''I didn't even get to swim I wasted all my time trying to get the elastic out!!!''. I would have expected he would have felt sorry for me for wasting my pool time and decided that I should get more time. And he let me have 15 minutes. But it's still frustrating that I paid 11$ and I had to beg my dad to not let the 11$ go down the drain for nothing.

Man I wish this weekend never happened. Yesterday started so great, me and my dad were having a great day together, and then I accidently do a mistake with the elastic because I didn't know any better and then I had to face a bunch of frustrating outcomes, like my dad almost reaching out and breaking off my hair, him thinking I would just cut off 2 years of patiently waited for growth like it was NOTHING, him not validating my upsetness and telling me to stop making a crisis, me having to look like a fool in front of everyone, me crying the rest of this activity that was supposed to be fun between us, me crying the rest of the evening, me trying to tell people and having 90% of them just not understand me, everyone telling me to get help from a therapist as if I was a crazy person.

I already have a hard time forgetting upsetting events, and this is just yet another one that's adding to the long list of stuff I can't get over. Great. I'm just so sad. I've dealt with unfairness a lot as a child (which is part of why I'm such a mess today) and having to go through that is just even more upsetting, it makes me feel like I always have to deal with unfairness. I mean I paid myself to get in the pool and I barely could enjoy myself, I wasted my pool time that I paid for.

What hurts the most is I feel like almost no one understands me.

I'm not a whiny brat, I'm not a brat at least. I'm genuinely a good person, but man I've gone through a lot (some people here know about it) and it's causing me to be a lot more upset than I should be when stuff happens. I'm already generally upset about stuff because of that, so when stuff happens, it hits me like 10x more. I don't appreciate being called a whiny brat. I don't choose to feel this way. I don't choose to have issues. I HAVE a therapist already, and I'm trying to get rid of my issues.

Ylva
September 16th, 2018, 06:20 PM
Being a HSP with a very heavy past, I can understand the way you initially felt towards your dad for almost ripping your hair. I could imagine my dad doing the same thing as he doesn't understand anything about how to treat hair gently, I can even imagine the grunting sounds he would do while ripping an elastic out of my wet hair. But fact is that you didn't actually lose any length and your hair hardly suffered any meaningful damage. You should forgive your dad and accept that he had good intensions. Maybe talk to him about it? Talk about how it made you feel, and make sure he knows it's very important to you that your hair is handled with care, no matter who handles it. Tell him that you don't want him to touch your hair if that's the case.

But you do need to stop the ideology about the universe being against this and that, because, let's face it, there's no such thing. The universe isn't a sentient being and even if it was, it couldn't give a lesser **** about a single human being walking on Earth. Learn from the experience, think about how to avoid it in the future and leave it behind.

Arciela
September 16th, 2018, 06:47 PM
I had something similar happen to me..I can empathize with you a bit. Sorry it all happened to you..its so scary when hair gets tangled like that :( I actually did lose my hair though..I wish I had the chance to save it ; ;

My hair was classic length and these girls who bullied me/jealous (they admitted it later on) threw a lot of gum in my hair in class. My mom and I tried for hours and even went to my cousin for help, who is a professional... but in the end nothing helped, so I had to cut it from classic to just below my ears.

At the time I didn't care..didn't think or care how long it took to grow back, I was more bothered by the bullies (But they got expelled so whatever) I felt devastated that I had lost my hair in such a way..but time flew by and it was classic again in what felt like no time. I figured at least I am lucky enough to have hair and it grew back. Now I put my hair up whenever I am out 99% of the time and don't dare take it down unless I feel 100% comfortable.

CreatureBailey
September 16th, 2018, 07:24 PM
Being a HSP with a very heavy past, I can understand the way you initially felt towards your dad for almost ripping your hair. I could imagine my dad doing the same thing as he doesn't understand anything about how to treat hair gently, I can even imagine the grunting sounds he would do while ripping an elastic out of my wet hair. But fact is that you didn't actually lose any length and your hair hardly suffered any meaningful damage. You should forgive your dad and accept that he had good intensions. Maybe talk to him about it? Talk about how it made you feel, and make sure he knows it's very important to you that your hair is handled with care, no matter who handles it. Tell him that you don't want him to touch your hair if that's the case.

But you do need to stop the ideology about the universe being against this and that, because, let's face it, there's no such thing. The universe isn't a sentient being and even if it was, it couldn't give a lesser **** about a single human being walking on Earth. Learn from the experience, think about how to avoid it in the future and leave it behind.

Yeah I explained to him, we did talk. I'm glad you understand me! :) I know he had good intentions... I'm not mad at him for trying to help..I'm mad at the fact that someone almost ripped off my hair. Like I said, we don't spend all this time handling it with care and treating it, only to have someone hold their hands out to us and going about to just ''CRRRSSSHHHH CRRSSSHH''. shudder:

I have a ... let's say predisposition to very easily feel like the universe is against me. XD Just cause during all my life it seemed to often beat me up (often with the same situation going on again and again...and again). Now, when stuff happens, I tend to jump to the ''universe is after me again'' conclusion. It does suck. :(

CreatureBailey
September 16th, 2018, 07:32 PM
I had something similar happen to me..I can empathize with you a bit. Sorry it all happened to you..its so scary when hair gets tangled like that :( I actually did lose my hair though..I wish I had the chance to save it ; ;

My hair was classic length and these girls who bullied me/jealous (they admitted it later on) threw a lot of gum in my hair in class. My mom and I tried for hours and even went to my cousin for help, who is a professional... but in the end nothing helped, so I had to cut it from classic to just below my ears.

At the time I didn't care..didn't think or care how long it took to grow back, I was more bothered by the bullies (But they got expelled so whatever) I felt devastated that I had lost my hair in such a way..but time flew by and it was classic again in what felt like no time. I figured at least I am lucky enough to have hair and it grew back. Now I put my hair up whenever I am out 99% of the time and don't dare take it down unless I feel 100% comfortable.

Girl I am so sorry. It's actually illegal to damage/break someone's hair or do to anything to it (on purpose) without their consent. It's one's property. It's not fair at all that you had to lose so much length just because of some jealous girls, you never deserved that. It reminds me of when I was about 13, my (now ex) best friend pretended she was going to pet my hair in techno class, and then she CUT A STRAND. A pretty thick strand too, a few inches. She laughed. She went to show the teacher cause she thought it was funny and he was mad! He said this was serious and he reacted just like anyone would react in front of a crim (and it was, it was my property). At the time I didn't care about hair, I didn't see the deal. I kept telling the teacher I didn't mind, cause I didn't care about hair. The teacher explained to me that it was still a pretty serious ''assault''. Even if I didn't care, it was still completely illegal and immoral. She got severely punished for that.

Now that I think of it, I think that friend had an unhealthy obsession with messing people's hair. A few months later she suggested to me as well as other friends to layer our hair, and she purposely ruined all of us' hair. I had to wait a year for mine to get back to normal after cutting progressively all the rat tails she gave me. My other friend had to cut her waist length hair to above her chest because it got exageratedly thinned out. The friend who got punished also kept going around asking to cut strands of boy's hair who were trying to grow it out. I don't know what it was with her. Now I understand that she deserved the punishment at school. Even the principals got involved.

CreatureBailey
September 16th, 2018, 07:36 PM
Oh yeah, I just remembered that, that same friend once had some insense cause we were burning insense in my yard, and then she suddenly started staring at me and she took the burning insense and started burning my hair on the top of my head. Our third friend went ''What are you doing???'' I really wonder what was going through her mind.

Jo Ann
September 16th, 2018, 09:56 PM
FWIW, CB, I was hypersensitive when I was younger. Life and different choices I made through my life went a long way to getting me to develope a psychological "thick skin." It took time for me to start to realize when and how to take a step back, size up a situation and find a workable solution to whatever problem I had.

Did I feel "the universe" was against me? Yes, at times I did. After a while, we're talking a decade or so, I realized that sometimes the choices I made at the time were not the best I could have made and learned from it. I got tired of feeling miserable and started looking for more positive things to work with to help me make better choices in my personal life and finding brighter spots in whatever situation I found myself in.

It took a while to go from :shudder: OMG!! :tmi: to :bigeyes: Aw, heck! :suspect: :meditate: 8)

I'll just say the ability to step back, size up a problem and determine a solution (or two or three) takes time to develope and leave it at that :flower: If I could do it, you will be able to.

Estrid
September 16th, 2018, 10:01 PM

I agree, many people never "grow out" of such behaviour and it's definitely a part of their personality, I just think it's more prevalent in younger individuals, especially teens. That's also why I thought your comment was a bit strange initially, because most people get kids, raise them and have jobs, and that's not something that requires either maturity or a calm mind (sadly).

I second yoga, that is amazing for both the body and the mind!

CreatureBailey
September 16th, 2018, 10:04 PM
FWIW, CB, I was hypersensitive when I was younger. Life and different choices I made through my life went a long way to getting me to develope a psychological "thick skin." It took time for me to start to realize when and how to take a step back, size up a situation and find a workable solution to whatever problem I had.

Did I feel "the universe" was against me? Yes, at times I did. After a while, we're talking a decade or so, I realized that sometimes the choices I made at the time were not the best I could have made and learned from it. I got tired of feeling miserable and started looking for more positive things to work with to help me make better choices in my personal life and finding brighter spots in whatever situation I found myself in.

It took a while to go from :shudder: OMG!! :tmi: to :bigeyes: Aw, heck! :suspect: :meditate: 8)

I'll just say the ability to step back, size up a problem and determine a solution (or two or three) takes time to develope and leave it at that :flower: If I could do it, you will be able to.

Thank you, you're so sweet :blossom: I'm sure I can get there too. I'm glad some people don't get mad at me for being how I am and try to help instead. :D

Shorty89
September 16th, 2018, 11:05 PM
Another HSP chiming in here and congratulating you on going to therapy. I'm rather surprised at some of the cruel responses around here. Being sensitive (I admit, I hate that word) and having anxiety, I understand how you can dwell too much on one issue and how something "small" to other people, can be a big deal to you. I hope that you can take the positives out of this thread and continue improving yourself and your hair!

Doreen
September 17th, 2018, 12:37 AM
CB, I'm sorry this happened to you and I understand how it might cause you to panic. I don't think you're a whiny brat; in a state of panic it can be hard to control your reaction even when you knew your dad had good intentions. Hopefully if something like this happens again, you will remember this incident and be able to stay calm! :heart:

When I go in the pool or ocean, I brush it out as thoroughly as possible, and I either wear acrylic sticks (as others have suggested) or do braids and then wet it down. If I plan to stay in a long time, I add some oil or leave-in conditioner. If you don't S&D your ends already, maybe doing so would help reverse any damage that this caused.

Chromis
September 17th, 2018, 05:53 AM
For those not understanding the panic - from her first post she tells us she was *in* the pool and wearing a mermaid tail! So trying to deal with a massive snarl while you are in the water with your movement restricted and someone (presumably not in the water) lunging down trying to help does kind sound like a pretty bad time and I can see that if you are already prone to panic attacks, it pretty much sounds like a one way ticket to freak out time.

There are a couple of other mermaids here, so with a bit of digging, you might be able to pull up those threads and they probably have some good tips in them!

Alila
September 17th, 2018, 06:22 AM
I would be scared as well if that would happen to me. I'm glad you were able to free your hair.

I too have had my hair tangle badly a few times when going to the pool. As a longhair there are a lot of scenarios for our hair that we have to learn to deal with. Just like how we learn not to throw our hair over our shoulder because it might smack somone in the face we learn to be carefull with our hair in the water.
Most of the time we have to do something wrong in order to get it right next time.

Big tangeles are definitely the scaries "wrong" we can do but most of the time with patience and a clear head you can save your hair, just like you did by cutting the elastic.
Next time when you go to the pool you won't make the same mistake.

If you'd like you can check out the swimming related threads on here. There you can find a lot of tips to keep your hair save in and around water.

Uff this post is getting long. One more thing though: in the sports pool where I swim there are seperators floating between the lanes. (I hope that makes sense.) My swim teacher doesn't allow us to swim with our hair down because it could get tangeled up in those seperators.
I also find that my hair tangels a lot more when I have it down in the pool.
Instead you could either bun in or wear a tight braid. Just make sure to take it slow when undoing your bun or braid. One loop of the elastic at a time and one braid stitch at a time.

Growing long hair is a lerning experience and your hair tangeling in the pool is a part of that. Don't forget it but don't let it terrify you either :)

nycelle
September 17th, 2018, 09:57 AM
Sorry this happened, I probably would have freaked out as well.

Hopefully down the road you'll be able to look back and laugh it off. That's usually what happens with some of my OMG moments.

AutobotsAttack
September 17th, 2018, 10:11 AM

On the contrary, I’m 23, and do not act like you do at all. So I wouldn’t generalize an entire age group, just because you yourself act a certain way. I’ve had hair mishaps, I get irritated, and find something else to focus on. Maturity is in the hands of the individual.

xoAshley
September 17th, 2018, 10:33 AM
CB, I'm so sorry that happened to you. I just wanted to offer my support, and I'm glad everything turned out okay. :flower:

I agree with a lot of the other ladies here who suggested putting your hair up with hair sticks or a claw clip... that'll be so much easier to manage. Hair tie + water always = disaster.

xoAshley
September 17th, 2018, 10:34 AM
CB, I'm so sorry that happened to you. I just wanted to offer my support, and I'm glad everything turned out okay. :flower:

I agree with a lot of the other ladies here who suggested putting your hair up with hair sticks or a claw clip... that'll be so much easier to manage. Hair tie + water always = disaster.

xoAshley
September 17th, 2018, 10:37 AM
Ahh, sorry for the duplicate post... my internet freaked out!

enting
September 17th, 2018, 01:15 PM
Sorry this happened, I probably would have freaked out as well.

Hopefully down the road you'll be able to look back and laugh it off. That's usually what happens with some of my OMG moments.

I second the hope. With a little bit of time and experience maybe close calls won't seem as horrifying.

lapushka
September 17th, 2018, 01:27 PM
How's your hair doing today, OP?

I recommend some nice attention to the hair, special attention, some great TLC. A nice "special" wash, a great mask. Just pamper yourself a little and you might be able to put this past you a little easier.

CreatureBailey
September 19th, 2018, 02:20 PM
Hey guys!

I'm sorry I reply so late, it's hard to keep up with the convo going...still not sure how to master it like a lot of people here do. :D

My hair seems okay, I still gotta check to make sure and I think I'll do an S&D tonight.

I guess our hair length being so ''fragile''? is part of what makes it more fascinating too. If we could get or regained length just by snapping our fingers, I think this whole hair journey wouldn't be as exciting since there wouldn't be the challenge anymore.

It still sucks to lose, or almost lose progress though. That remind me of when I've heard about a group of guys going around a Walmart and chopping random women's hair. The police had to show up. That's horrible, seriously, even for people who are not in the journey. Still, imagine growing your hair, learning about the tips and tricks to care for it, buying products to treat it, doing so much to prevent damage and doing S&D and talking and showing your progress to others on LHC, reaching milestones for years, --

And then one day you decide to go shopping at Walmart and some guy goes behind you and chops it all off.

Ylva
September 19th, 2018, 02:33 PM
That remind me of when I've heard about a group of guys going around a Walmart and chopping random women's hair. The police had to show up. That's horrible, seriously, even for people who are not in the journey. Still, imagine growing your hair, learning about the tips and tricks to care for it, buying products to treat it, doing so much to prevent damage and doing S&D and talking and showing your progress to others on LHC, reaching milestones for years, --

And then one day you decide to go shopping at Walmart and some guy goes behind you and chops it all off.

I live in one of the absolute safest countries in the world, but this is still something that has crossed my mind. In the end, my hair, just like myself, is always vulnerable. I don't obsess about it or anything, it doesn't prevent me from going out and about, but still, I can only imagine feeling very violated.

CreatureBailey
September 20th, 2018, 06:20 AM
I live in one of the absolute safest countries in the world, but this is still something that has crossed my mind. In the end, my hair, just like myself, is always vulnerable. I don't obsess about it or anything, it doesn't prevent me from going out and about, but still, I can only imagine feeling very violated.

Yeah, I'm not thinking it will happen or anything, but I can definitely imagine how that must feel, yikes.