PDA

View Full Version : How much does demi permanent color damage hair?

xdreamxcreatex
September 14th, 2018, 09:19 PM
I have recently been on a healthy hair mission, after having my hair fried by a hairdresser when I had my balayage about 5 months ago. I didn’t know anything about hair then, so I went to get the color fixed and the hairdresser used a demi permanent hair dye over my entire head. In June, the color had faded and I foolishly used another demi permanent hair dye on my entire head, and I wish I would have just put it over the highlighted parts, which right now is about 2/3 of my entire length. Knowing a little bit note about hair, I really wish I wouldn’t have put it on my grown out part because I want to grow my virgin hair out. My natural level is a 2 and the highlighted parts are a 9... and the color I used was an 8 so it didn’t lift my hair at all, it is still very dark, but I did still process virgin hair twice... so now I’m worried that when I try to grow it out healthy it won’t be as healthy as it could be since I double processed it. Will this be damaging in the long term? From now on, as I’m growing out my roots and and curing off the damage, I will probably only apply semi permanent colors and keep the color off my roots. Anyways, just looking for some advice

Jo Ann
September 14th, 2018, 09:32 PM
Welcome aboard, Xdreamxcreatex!

From what I understand, demi-permanent hair color uses just a wee bit of peroxide to help it deposit color, but the dye SHOULD wash out after a while. It lasts longer than semi-permanent hair color (depending on the color used). You shouldn't have anything to REALLY worry about after using it on virgin hair; however, there might be some lightening of your virgin hair depending on the strength of the peroxide used.

Bottom line: I wouldn't worry too much about any damage done to your virgin hair and would concentrate more on protecting, conditioning and trimming the more seriously damaged bits of your hair (if that is the way you want to go). I would just put out of my mind any possible damage done to the hair growing out.

xdreamxcreatex
September 14th, 2018, 10:06 PM
Thanks Jo Ann! That makes me feel a little better. And yes I’m trying to really protect the damaged parts as well

xdreamxcreatex
September 14th, 2018, 10:20 PM
I just want to say, sorry for all the grammar mistakes! I was typing super fast on my phone, lol.