PDA

View Full Version : Does your routine work? Then don't change it!

Khristopher
September 13th, 2018, 07:36 PM
Hey everyone, I hope this little story of mine at least helps someone avoid damage, or think better before doing something.
So, last month I had an important event and wanted to look my best for it. I figured I wanted to wear my hair lose, and I thought the best way to achieve it was loading my hair with cones and straighten it (I hadn't ironed my hair since 2012). I wanted to keep my hair looking tidy and avoid tangles.... ugh, if I knew. :doh:
My usual routine consist in washing once a week with h&s antidandruff shampoo diluted (prepoo heavy coconut oiling the night before) and conditioning with fermented rice water and herbal tea. Simple but effective for me! Well, this time I shampooed, applied a moisturizing conditioner, mixed a bit of protein conditioner on the ends, and layered a heavy cone conditioner over all of it. Left on for half an hour and rinsed, then a heat protectant. When it dried it was a mess! So, SO tangled, I just could not separate locks to detangle. I did what I could to detangle but it felt like velcro and wouldn't stay in place once detangled. I kept going and ironed, just a few passes on low heat, it looked okay-ish but not at all what I expected.
Well, having finished fighting with my hair I got dressed up and went about my day, quite sad because my hair was tangly, floaty and frizzy, not very shiny and felt rough, instead of the usual soft, shiny hair I have using herbal tea as conditioner.
Then, the day after the event, being at home resting I realized the worst: my ends were full of splits and breakage, like, 300% more than usual! shudder:I did a long, sad S&D session, and promised myself I wouldn't do this again, I won't touch an iron nor cones again, ever! I thought just once would not do so much harm, but it did. And the cones didn't even do what they're supposed to do. Yesterday I did another S&D and I still found more breackage than usual. I'm thinking of chopping a few inches instead of my monthly microtrim. And I was so close to fingertip....uuuuuuugh.
In conclusion, this wasn't worth at all, and the damage was more than I would have imagined. I was kinda inspired by looking at TorrinPaige videos, since she uses cones and heat without problems. But my hair is nowhere as nice nor resilient as hers is, so leasson learned!
Please, think twice before doing something that could damage your hair, even more so if it's going to be temporal. Really, it's not worth it :( keep your hair with the routine that makes it happy and you'll be happy as well!

DaughterOfDawn
September 13th, 2018, 08:19 PM
Thanks for sharing your story, Khristopher! I have been contemplating changing my routine lately and this is just what I needed to remind myself... NO
"don't fix it if it ain't broke" right??

I'm sorry to read you may lose some inches!
But, if you look on the ever-present bright side... at least when those inches grow back, they will be growing out of a wiser head ;)

DaughterOfDawn
September 13th, 2018, 08:26 PM
In the past, I was also inspired by and tried to follow some of TorrinPaige 's tutorials as well... It didnt take long to discover my hair is far too fine and fragile for that sort of handling! It kept breaking! Much to my dismay haha but to each, their own.

Her hair must be made of [insert mythical magic metal of choice here] or something!

Xu
September 14th, 2018, 08:07 AM
I indian herbs to wash whenever i have the time and they are wonderful, but i never have problems with coney drugstore products or heat in general when i switch or occasionally heat style. Maybe it was the wrong heat protectant or your hair simply didn't like the protein conditioner that was used.

Alissalocks
September 14th, 2018, 08:20 AM
Argh!!! I feel your pain just reading your words... we are here for you while it grows back :grouphug:

xoAshley
September 14th, 2018, 10:27 AM
shudder: Oh man, I'm so sorry this happened to you!! Well, you are in the right place for the re-growing process.. Just think though, in the end it could've been much worse, so hang in there and thanks for sharing your story with us! :flowers:

lapushka
September 14th, 2018, 10:44 AM
In conclusion, this wasn't worth at all, and the damage was more than I would have imagined. I was kinda inspired by looking at TorrinPaige videos, since she uses cones and heat without problems. But my hair is nowhere as nice nor resilient as hers is, so leasson learned!
Please, think twice before doing something that could damage your hair, even more so if it's going to be temporal. Really, it's not worth it :( keep your hair with the routine that makes it happy and you'll be happy as well!

Thanks for sharing your story.

I am a firm believer in the fact that if something works, whatever anyone thinks (me and my sulfates LOL) doesn't much matter. I have a responsibility to keep my scalp and hair happy. And that always goes before anything else. I don't want to fit the "current" norm (which is heavily sulfate-free), I just want to do my own thing. And my scalp thanks me for it, I'm sure.

Ylva
September 14th, 2018, 02:37 PM
Thank you for sharing!

Changing my hair texture is hardly something I desire, but your words ring true to me when it comes to simply sticking to the products and routine that I know works for me. I'm always thinking "maybe I can discover something even better!" and end up having to give my hair hydration mouth to mouth. I should just remain patient and stick to my stuff.

I don't want to fit the "current" norm (which is heavily sulfate-free), I just want to do my own thing. And my scalp thanks me for it, I'm sure.

I'd like to think that most people don't go for it because it's something popular that's often advocated by hair gurus, but rather because their hair and scalp dry out too easily, like mine. At least that's the reason why I favor sulfate free, not because of any trend or norm. :) I feel that many people simply didn't know that they "could" go sulfate free, that it was an option at all, prior to this "sulfate free revolution".

*Wednesday*
September 14th, 2018, 04:11 PM
Sometimes there is a tendency to try something new when things are going right. I tried a different shampoo and conditioner a few month back. After one use, gave it away. I didn't like it. I'm staying in my lane.

young&reckless
September 14th, 2018, 07:51 PM
Very true! The one thing I always forget is to clarify from time to time. For me it makes all the difference in the world.

lithostoic
September 14th, 2018, 08:00 PM
Thank you for sharing!

Changing my hair texture is hardly something I desire, but your words ring true to me when it comes to simply sticking to the products and routine that I know works for me. I'm always thinking "maybe I can discover something even better!" and end up having to give my hair hydration mouth to mouth. I should just remain patient and stick to my stuff.

I'd like to think that most people don't go for it because it's something popular that's often advocated by hair gurus, but rather because their hair and scalp dry out too easily, like mine. At least that's the reason why I favor sulfate free, not because of any trend or norm. :) I feel that many people simply didn't know that they "could" go sulfate free, that it was an option at all, prior to this "sulfate free revolution".

I didn't even know what sulfates were until I finally started researching causes and remedies for my perpetually irritatated scalp. That led me to Shea Moisture and I never went back. I used head and shoulders after a year of being sulfate and silicone free and my scalp broke out in oily bumpy idk ...just gross dermatitis. Just like I used to get before switching to s/s free.