PDA

View Full Version : Goldwell Kerasilk Keratin Treatment?

cherry_cola
September 12th, 2018, 06:26 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm pretty new, so I've been doing a lot of researching on this forum and I came across keratin treatments. I see that Goldwell Kerasilk comes highly recommended, but the user who suggests it is no longer active :( Does anyone currently use this? Is there some place that ships to the US that I could purchase it?

I'm open to any and all suggestions about keratin treatments! I live in a high humidity part of the US, so something that can help seal out frizz could be life changing! :)

Alex Lou
September 12th, 2018, 06:38 PM
I noticed damage from use, but I seem to be the exception. Most who have used it seem to like it. The glyoxylic acid does become formaldehyde when heated. Formaldehyde-free formulas all produce formaldehyde during the process, releasing about 50% less formaldehyde than the formaldehyde based formulas.

cherry_cola
September 12th, 2018, 07:13 PM
Interesting! I didn't know the glyoxylic acid turns into formaldehyde. How often did you use the treatment?

Alex Lou
September 12th, 2018, 08:14 PM
Interesting! I didn't know the glyoxylic acid turns into formaldehyde. How often did you use the treatment?

Just once. :/

Upside Down
September 13th, 2018, 11:39 AM
There is a big thread here:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=130725&highlight=Keratine

I use it for years with good results, but then, along the way I decided I don’t want long hair so am now wearing a lob.

I have not noticed damage from it. I also use a flat iron weekly on my hair.

The shop I bought it from is in Germany but it seems to have stopped carrying it last time I checked. I know a local store carries it but their prices are high.

cherry_cola
September 13th, 2018, 11:50 AM
There is a big thread here:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=130725&highlight=Keratine

I use it for years with good results, but then, along the way I decided I don’t want long hair so am now wearing a lob.

I have not noticed damage from it. I also use a flat iron weekly on my hair.

The shop I bought it from is in Germany but it seems to have stopped carrying it last time I checked. I know a local store carries it but their prices are high.

Ok that’s good to know! Do you feel like it has cumulative effects on your hair? Also—do you know a place in Germany that ships to the US, or a US store that carries the authentic treatment? I’ve found some sites, but I’m unsure how authentic they are.... (hope I’m not breaking any rules asking that!!)

Upside Down
September 13th, 2018, 01:17 PM
No, sadly I don’t know any stores that ship to US. I remember another member asking me and I dug up the store where I bought it and it turned out they stopped carrying it completely. :(

Yes it has cumulative effect on me. I also only use it once in ~6 months.
It also very much depends on how often I shampoo. When I had waist long hair I could do scalp only washes and that has visibly prolonged the effect of treatment.
I’d recommend using mild shampoo in any case (and it is recommended by Goldwell also)...

If you plan to do it have a read through the big thread. A lot of good advice there!

cherry_cola
September 15th, 2018, 03:34 PM
Thank you for the suggestions!! I read through the big keratin thread--lots of good information! I think I'll try it out eventually when I find a good place to order from in the US. :) Do you recommend a gentle shampoo in particular? I just made the switch to sulfate free shampoos and I love how gentle they are!

Upside Down
September 17th, 2018, 05:26 AM
I use what I can find at a decent price. Balea from dm has a silfate free shampoo that works fine. There are also Goldwell shampoos that are supposed to be used after the treatment, although I haven’t tried them - too expensive for a regular use shampoo in my opinion.

Just remember to clarify on occasion :)