PDA

View Full Version : Is this frizz?

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 10th, 2018, 06:46 PM
I just donít know with my hair anymore!
the breakage is constant but here are two photos with about a week apart.
is this what frizz looks like? Sometimes itís throughout my whole length.
but sometimes itís like, right where my hair touches my neck.
not my nape, I donít have too much frizz under the canopy
so Iím assuming it has something to do with sleeping with a cotton pillow case
or maybe itís breakage... I donít know.
i hate it though and I canít seem to make it go away.
pre shower hair - just woken up not really brushed at all
https://s33.postimg.cc/9agf9np67/B44624_F3-3523-42_D3-_BED2-3_D881_D9_A2297.jpg
Post shower - not brushed either just LOC

https://s33.postimg.cc/y3pzabfwf/2_F707526-_F524-4820-961_E-86_EA68201_E28.jpg

Obviously itís less of a mess post shower
but my hair just doesnít look great
the only thing I changed was I started sleeping with my hair down
i was wearing a bun to sleep for a long time but I keep getting headaches so I started wearing a braid to bed or wearing it loose a few months ago and thatís when I noticed my hair was starting to look this way
I was using a ďsilkĒ pillow case in the beginning but didnít like the way it felt against my skin at all
nor sure if it was real/good/genuine silk or satin though... not sure what else to try
im tired of blowing money on products and such that do nothing for my hair

Dark40
September 10th, 2018, 06:59 PM
Your hair looks just fine to me. It's just frizz. I have the same problem. But I've learned that frizziness does not necessarily mean damage or splits. It could be from the humidity weather you live in. If you live in a place that has high humidity it does cause your hair to frizz up all of the time no matter what you do to get rid of it. Have you trim anti-frizz creams or serums? They usually help me. You can try Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Anti-Frizz Milk. Or, try Garnier Fructis Leave-In Conditioning Cream for humid weather, and it really helps my hair!!! But you have to use a blow-dryer with these products though.

MoonRabbit
September 10th, 2018, 07:09 PM
Yeah that is frizz and I have the exact same thing all over of my head. I am wondering if it could be weather related. For me, the weather has to be absolutely perfect for everything to sit nice and sleek which I only get once or twice a year. Right now we are being hit with a tropical storm from the south and it has been raining nonstop, and guess what, my hair for the past few days has been hell. Constant major frizz, and it seems to break more easily.

What I have been doing lately is applying a few drops of oil onto my TT rubbing it in and wiping off most of it. Then I gently brush the canopy.

DweamGoiL
September 10th, 2018, 07:16 PM
For me, it's about humidity. The more humid the day, the more frizz and fly-aways I will have

spidermom
September 10th, 2018, 08:25 PM
We all have that to a certain degree, although it doesn't show up as much in straight hair. I've found that wrapping my head in a silk scarf while it's still damp and letting it dry (pretty much) that way will make all those little fly-aways lay much smoother.

Silk is a fabric and satin is a weave, so it's entirely possible to have silk satin. You just want something that feels smooth when you run your hand over it. A nice tightly woven cotton will do.

A lot of these complaints that you make about your hair is just part of having long hair. I used to do the same thing, especially about split ends and other damage. My hair can grow to about hip length and be in good condition, but after that it seems like the ends just start unraveling. Eventually I didn't want to put up with the hassle of long hair and got it cut short (as you know). Now I'm growing it again and keeping in mind that it's not ever going to be perfect, so I can drop the "antique lace" thing and accept it for what it will be - long.

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 10th, 2018, 08:26 PM
Your hair looks just fine to me. It's just frizz. I have the same problem. But I've learned that frizziness does not necessarily mean damage or splits. It could be from the humidity weather you live in. If you live in a place that has high humidity it does cause your hair to frizz up all of the time no matter what you do to get rid of it. Have you trim anti-frizz creams or serums? They usually help me. You can try Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Anti-Frizz Milk. Or, try Garnier Fructis Leave-In Conditioning Cream for humid weather, and it really helps my hair!!! But you have to use a blow-dryer with these products though.
I’ve liked serums before in the past but most have silicones so I get build up really fast and the tangles are pretty bad after a few days. Though sometimes it feels like it’s always tangled no matter what.

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 10th, 2018, 08:29 PM
For me, it's about humidity. The more humid the day, the more frizz and fly-aways I will have

Not sure if it’s humidity for me though. Portland isn’t really humid.
I’ve spent most of the day inside and the frizz continues lol

Groovy Granny
September 10th, 2018, 09:06 PM
What you think is 'frizz' may be NEW GROWTH.

It is for me....and with a wurly texture you get this lift of individual strands from crown to hemline, and it is hard to define curls or get a sleek look.

Biosilk Serum ands scrunching helps my hair, but if you don't want to use something like that, then maybe try aloe gel (which I don't care for but some do lol) :shrug:

At some point we must just accept what is uniquely ours, after we have done all we can to make changes ;)

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 10th, 2018, 09:40 PM
What you think is 'frizz' may be NEW GROWTH.

It is for me....and with a wurly texture you get this lift of individual strands from crown to hemline, and it is hard to define curls or get a sleek look.

Biosilk Serum ands scrunching helps my hair, but if you don't want to use something like that, then maybe try aloe gel (which I don't care for but some do lol) :shrug:

At some point we must just accept what is uniquely ours, after we have done all we can to make changes ;)

I already do gel. I use a leave in conditioner and then layer gel over it.
I dont like serums with silicones. Which most have unfortunately.

Jo Ann
September 11th, 2018, 12:55 AM
You're lucky, Rebecca--pre-LHC, I used to have frizz so bad, it looked like I stuck my finger in a power socket...

Think this, but not so adorbs:

https://www.blogcdn.com/main.stylelist.com/media/2011/04/curly-hair-laura-stampler590.jpg

Link, in case the picture is verboten: http://www.blogcdn.com/main.stylelist.com/media/2011/04/curly-hair-laura-stampler590.jpg

MusicalSpoons
September 11th, 2018, 05:17 AM
Your pre-shower hair resembles my post-shower hair if I've stayed up long enough for it to half-dry :grin: I would just assume it's frizz, and as far as I know the only hair texture that might go through life without frizz would be 1a (although any frizzy 1a-ers please correct me if you exist!) I understand why you might be concerned, given your past threads about thin ends and breakage, but honestly, unless you're actually seeing lots of broken hairs falling when you detangle, I wouldn't worry about the frizz :flower:

TreesOfEternity
September 11th, 2018, 06:06 AM
Your pre-shower hair resembles my post-shower hair if I've stayed up long enough for it to half-dry :grin: I would just assume it's frizz, and as far as I know the only hair texture that might go through life without frizz would be 1a (although any frizzy 1a-ers please correct me if you exist!) I understand why you might be concerned, given your past threads about thin ends and breakage, but honestly, unless you're actually seeing lots of broken hairs falling when you detangle, I wouldn't worry about the frizz :flower:

I’m 1a and have seen my hair like OPs first picture several times hehe, specially before LHC when my hair lacked moisturize and I slept with it lose every night. The solution for me was deep treatments, sleeping with it contained and wearing it up. When I wear it loose it is a freeze ball by the end of the day. I oil it, braid it and by the next day it looks slightly better.

MusicalSpoons
September 11th, 2018, 07:03 AM
Oh interesting! Thanks for educating me :D When it's happy and healthy hair, does it still frizz at all?

nycelle
September 11th, 2018, 08:51 AM
I’m 1a and have seen my hair like OPs first picture several times hehe, specially before LHC when my hair lacked moisturize and I slept with it lose every night. The solution for me was deep treatments, sleeping with it contained and wearing it up. When I wear it loose it is a freeze ball by the end of the day. I oil it, braid it and by the next day it looks slightly better.

I'v never seen 1a hair get frizzy. Please take a pic next time..lol.. I'm so intrigued by this.

My mom and grandmother are also a 1a. Their hair looks the same year round. Pin straight, and frizz free. I've been envious my entire life.

nycelle
September 11th, 2018, 09:13 AM
Rebecca, I used to get frizz like that as well. The two main things that have worked for me is a silk sleep cap, and protein and silicone free leave-ins.

What didn't work was the layering CG method. My hair can't handle curl enhancers and gels and leave-ins. I can only use one product at a time or I get stringy hair, and when I go to WTC it out, I get frizz.

So it's either a curl enhancer that also moisturizes (without protein) like Kinky Curly Curling Custard, or a leave-in milk. I stopped using gels altogether.

I really believe it's a matter of finding the right products and using them in the right quantities, along with a satin weave pillowcase or sleep cap. Took about 4 or so months but it got my frizz under control.

spidermom
September 11th, 2018, 09:52 AM
Another thing that helps me achieve a smoother look is to completely leave my hair alone after washing and conditioning. No towel drying, no product, no scrunching, nothing except leave it to drip dry. Once it's dry or nearly dry, I can rub some gel between wet palms and very gently run my palms over the surface of my hair.

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 11th, 2018, 10:50 AM
Rebecca, I used to get frizz like that as well. The two main things that have worked for me is a silk sleep cap, and protein and silicone free leave-ins.

What didn't work was the layering CG method. My hair can't handle curl enhancers and gels and leave-ins. I can only use one product at a time or I get stringy hair, and when I go to WTC it out, I get frizz.

So it's either a curl enhancer that also moisturizes (without protein) like Kinky Curly Curling Custard, or a leave-in milk. I stopped using gels altogether.

I really believe it's a matter of finding the right products and using them in the right quantities, along with a satin weave pillowcase or sleep cap. Took about 4 or so months but it got my frizz under control.

That’s actually what I’m using. KCKT curling custard. I thought it was considered a gel?

nycelle
September 11th, 2018, 11:09 AM
That’s actually what I’m using. KCKT curling custard. I thought it was considered a gel?

No, it's a "curl enhancer." I only use a tiny bit or again, I get that stringy look. But I find it works like a good leave-in moisturizer that also gives my waves a bit of texture and definition, but that's it.. no hold like a gel. I literally use a nickel size amount of the stuff in my hair. Anymore and it's too much. How much do you use?

nycelle
September 11th, 2018, 11:11 AM
Are you using the "Knot Today" or the "Curling Custard" by them? They're different products, and KCKT isn't what I use..

littlestarface
September 11th, 2018, 11:33 AM

Hey i'm the same way, I have to use only 1 product after my hair wash and it'll be really wurly almost curly. So either I use KKKT, KKCC or shea moisture smoothie, I cant combine them all in one go or else my hair gets straighter :|

Lapwing
September 11th, 2018, 11:47 AM

i was wearing a bun to sleep for a long time but I keep getting headaches so I started wearing a braid to bed or wearing it loose a few months ago and thatís when I noticed my hair was starting to look this way
I was using a ďsilkĒ pillow case in the beginning but didnít like the way it felt against my skin at all
nor sure if it was real/good/genuine silk or satin though... not sure what else to try

Hey :)

First of, I want to tell you that your tat is gorgeous. Secondly, maybe your hair is a bit dehydrated? Mine loves buttermilk as a conditioner, yoghurt is also great, but too heavy for my tress. It really helps with my frizz ;)

chiapommama
September 11th, 2018, 12:24 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one. My hair does that too. Looks like a little frizz to me. Mine is always that way, and the Alabama humidity doesn't help. I usually just put it up and go on. You've got some pretty hair.

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 11th, 2018, 01:12 PM
No, it's a "curl enhancer." I only use a tiny bit or again, I get that stringy look. But I find it works like a good leave-in moisturizer that also gives my waves a bit of texture and definition, but that's it.. no hold like a gel. I literally use a nickel size amount of the stuff in my hair. Anymore and it's too much. How much do you use?

Uhh let me go check, I think its the curling custard. its this guy:
https://www.colorfulblack.com/fr/soins-cheveux/907-kinky-curly-curling-custard-gel-coiffant-8oz-689076195782.html

I mean i thought it was a gel because its labeled as a gel. but.

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 11th, 2018, 01:13 PM

First of, I want to tell you that your tat is gorgeous. Secondly, maybe your hair is a bit dehydrated? Mine loves buttermilk as a conditioner, yoghurt is also great, but too heavy for my tress. It really helps with my frizz ;)

Im not sure how else to moisturize my hair more : i deep treat almost every wash.

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 11th, 2018, 01:13 PM

Im not sure how else to moisturize my hair more : i deep treat almost every wash.

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 11th, 2018, 01:17 PM

See im different, it gives my hair a lot of hold if i put more than a dime size amount in my hair.

nycelle
September 11th, 2018, 01:22 PM
See im different, it gives my hair a lot of hold if i put more than a dime size amount in my hair.

Yeah, it says gel (checked mine), but I don't find it works as a gel, at least not what I'm used to. I know it's also a product many use to layer with a harder hold gel.
I'm very jealous you get a lot of hold from it though, wish I did.

Do you use anything else with it? Like a leave-in conditioner/milk or any oils?

AutobotsAttack
September 11th, 2018, 01:49 PM
Not sure if it’s humidity for me though. Portland isn’t really humid.
I’ve spent most of the day inside and the frizz continues lol

Portland had a humidity percentage of like 77 yesterday and today lol. So on the contrary Portland is huuuuumid lol. It’s typically rather humid in areas close to the coast, much like down here in south Texas. Since you’re inside a lot it’s probably not a big deal, but your hair looks fine. Frizz is frizz. I get it. All the time, and I’m okay with it. It’s more or less just hairs that fluff out, and the curlier or wavier your hair is, the more apparent it becomes. So long as your hair’s integrity is in good standing I wouldn’t worry about it. In coily hair, frizz happens a lot when the ringlets get all fluffy and fanned out. Usually from some sort of mechanical manipulation.

From your pictures your hair looks perfectly fine though.

Arciela
September 11th, 2018, 03:22 PM
I think that is frizz, that is how mine looks when the frizz takes over :p I notice mine goes away when I squish to condish and then apply gel or devacurl wave maker when its soaking wet, then plop for about 30 mins, I let it dry, a cast will form and then scrunch out the crunch and my hair ends up pretty soft and frizz free for the most part.

Usually I am too lazy to do all this and just embrace my frizz :lol:

lapushka
September 11th, 2018, 04:00 PM
pre shower (just waking up) = quite normal to me.

post shower seems just fine to me!

I wouldn't worry so much. :flower:

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 11th, 2018, 04:23 PM
Yeah, it says gel (checked mine), but I don't find it works as a gel, at least not what I'm used to. I know it's also a product many use to layer with a harder hold gel.
I'm very jealous you get a lot of hold from it though, wish I did.

Do you use anything else with it? Like a leave-in conditioner/milk or any oils?
I use to use oils but they’re too heavy.
I usually use a leave in conditioner from Garnier (legendary olive) and then the “gel”/curling custard.
If I use too much gel I get stiffness but I use a solid quarter size amount of of leave in and my hair isn’t weighed down at all by it, it seems. My hair looked 10x better when I used devacurl products. Less frizz.
I wonder if that means anything at all.

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 11th, 2018, 04:28 PM
Portland had a humidity percentage of like 77 yesterday and today lol. So on the contrary Portland is huuuuumid lol. It’s typically rather humid in areas close to the coast, much like down here in south Texas. Since you’re inside a lot it’s probably not a big deal, but your hair looks fine. Frizz is frizz. I get it. All the time, and I’m okay with it. It’s more or less just hairs that fluff out, and the curlier or wavier your hair is, the more apparent it becomes. So long as your hair’s integrity is in good standing I wouldn’t worry about it. In coily hair, frizz happens a lot when the ringlets get all fluffy and fanned out. Usually from some sort of mechanical manipulation.

From your pictures your hair looks perfectly fine though.
Oh hm.
Is California humid? I don’t know how to look these places up.
I never knew that Portland was humid though.

*Wednesday*
September 11th, 2018, 08:38 PM
My hair gets frizzy as well. I don't even bother styling it between May and November due to humidity. I like to wet set it or use sponge rollers from time to time, but not during the late spring fall months. I live in the Northeast and it's been raining and we're getting more rain and it's been horrible for my hair. The strange thing is, is when it gets a little frizzy I get compliments 😕

Dark40
September 11th, 2018, 09:03 PM
Iíve liked serums before in the past but most have silicones so I get build up really fast and the tangles are pretty bad after a few days. Though sometimes it feels like itís always tangled no matter what.

Yes, you are right that serums before in the past did have silicones and they do leave a build up. When that happens to me I use a clarifying shampoo. Because, I use a silicone deep conditioner from time to time but when I do I always like to use clarifying shampoo so that I don't get any build up. I use a good clarifying shampoo once a month called, "Mane N Tail." Oh, I know whatcha mean about having problems with the tangles. Sounds like it to me that you need to get yourself a detangling spray product like, "Mane N Tail." My mom also has problems with her tangles as well after every wash, and the, "Mane N Tail," helps her out tremendously, and it also helps me out tremendously as well!!

TreesOfEternity
September 12th, 2018, 06:07 AM
Oh interesting! Thanks for educating me :D When it's happy and healthy hair, does it still frizz at all?

Only when it’s humid outside, as if it’s raining or I’m near the beach, or if I over-moisturize it instead of using some protein heavy mask.

I'v never seen 1a hair get frizzy. Please take a pic next time..lol.. I'm so intrigued by this.

My mom and grandmother are also a 1a. Their hair looks the same year round. Pin straight, and frizz free. I've been envious my entire life.

Really? Lucky them! I’ll definitely take a pic just for the laughs/hair science purposes haha.

nycelle
September 12th, 2018, 09:04 AM
I use to use oils but they’re too heavy.
I usually use a leave in conditioner from Garnier (legendary olive) and then the “gel”/curling custard.
If I use too much gel I get stiffness but I use a solid quarter size amount of of leave in and my hair isn’t weighed down at all by it, it seems. My hair looked 10x better when I used devacurl products. Less frizz.
I wonder if that means anything at all.

Devacurl is heavy in protein. Maybe see which protein and get something local with similar ingredient?

Ok, I know I'm a heretic here, but my hair absolutely hates every single garnier product it's ever tried. When my hair was at it's driest, it never did anything for it.

Recently I used their Legendary Olive oil mask and all I got was flash drying and weird frizz. It was the oddest thing too because my hair felt soft, but looked horrible. I was told it was most likely the wax.
So when I read Garnier and bad hair days, I'm not surprised.

lapushka
September 12th, 2018, 09:10 AM
I'm confused. :confused: You guys must be seeing something I'm obviously not because in the post shower picture I don't notice frizz at all. And it's about that, most of all. We all wake up with bed head, that's totally fine and normal, IMO.

nycelle
September 12th, 2018, 09:18 AM
I'm confused. :confused: You guys must be seeing something I'm obviously not because in the post shower picture I don't notice frizz at all. And it's about that, most of all. We all wake up with bed head, that's totally fine and normal, IMO.

That first pic is frizz. I don't wake up with my hair like that these days. I used to, but not for months now.
The second pic is better, but there's still frizz.

I know many here think it's normal, or just accept it, but I don't.

*Wednesday*
September 12th, 2018, 09:42 AM
"pre shower hair - just woken up not really brushed at all"

Don't know if that qualifies as frizz. Yeah..bed head. Especially fine hair. My hair frizz is far worse than bed head.

Alex Lou
September 12th, 2018, 09:53 AM
Oh hm.

California is a big place. It's usually humid where I am on the coast but I wouldn't have to go far to be in the desert where it's quite the opposite.

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 12th, 2018, 11:32 AM
Yes, you are right that serums before in the past did have silicones and they do leave a build up. When that happens to me I use a clarifying shampoo. Because, I use a silicone deep conditioner from time to time but when I do I always like to use clarifying shampoo so that I don't get any build up. I use a good clarifying shampoo once a month called, "Mane N Tail." Oh, I know whatcha mean about having problems with the tangles. Sounds like it to me that you need to get yourself a detangling spray product like, "Mane N Tail." My mom also has problems with her tangles as well after every wash, and the, "Mane N Tail," helps her out tremendously, and it also helps me out tremendously as well!!

I absolutely hate mane n tail products lol
I get build up within one use so I would need to clarify with almost every wash - so that’s why I don’t use them.

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 12th, 2018, 11:35 AM
Devacurl is heavy in protein. Maybe see which protein and get something local with similar ingredient?

Ok, I know I'm a heretic here, but my hair absolutely hates every single garnier product it's ever tried. When my hair was at it's driest, it never did anything for it.

Recently I used their Legendary Olive oil mask and all I got was flash drying and weird frizz. It was the oddest thing too because my hair felt soft, but looked horrible. I was told it was most likely the wax.
So when I read Garnier and bad hair days, I'm not surprised.
Hmm. I’m considering cleaning out my stash and sticking with my deva curl products then.
I already own them but I was waiting to use them until I had used up all the crap products that don’t give me the BEST results.
Just because I don’t like to waste things, you know? But it’s starting to annoy me.
Tired of my hair constantly looking like it’s floating off my head lol

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 12th, 2018, 11:38 AM

I mean, I don’t brush. At all. Never have. I finger detangle. Always have. Have for the last 2 years.
Look at my siggy and then my profile photo. Notice how my hair does not look like this?
It looks so bad now, there is a clear difference between my hair now and my hair last year.
It’s more than just bed head. Like my bed head never use to look like this.

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 12th, 2018, 11:39 AM
"pre shower hair - just woken up not really brushed at all"

Don't know if that qualifies as frizz. Yeah..bed head. Especially fine hair. My hair frizz is far worse than bed head.

The thing is, my bed head never use to look like this.
Its not normal bed head for me. This is after being finger combed.

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 12th, 2018, 11:40 AM
California is a big place. It's usually humid where I am on the coast but I wouldn't have to go far to be in the desert where it's quite the opposite.

I use to live in Los Angeles and back then my hair looked a lot worse.
But I don’t know if it’s related to humidity or because my hair was in horrible condition lol

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 12th, 2018, 12:06 PM
Sooooo
After brushing:
https://s33.postimg.cc/mj02em3wv/F9_E03_DBF-3895-4_BB6-_B9_EA-9_B3_D6_EFD1446.jpg
100% sure that’s frizz...

Then I applied some oil to my length which helps.
https://s33.postimg.cc/6xiquof3z/1_D3_B4622-6062-456_C-_A65_E-58_E92754_CBD6.jpg

Like it “looks better” but I hate the way oiled hair feels.
I like to touch my hair and have it not feel like it’s coated in something

nycelle
September 12th, 2018, 12:31 PM
Rebecca, it could be that your hair loves protein. Definitely try Devacurl again and see how it does.

Have you also tried a leave-in milk? They're wonderful to add moisture and help with frizz. Your hair would soak it up so it wouldn't feel like that coating you get with oil.

Here's a really good video that talks about various types of hair and how products can affect it. Love this woman, really glad she's back and doing videos.

https://youtu.be/CrDiNXsS1l4

*Wednesday*
September 12th, 2018, 12:41 PM
Your hair is very pretty. I see the difference with these pics and a little oil helps. Myself personally, I donít finger comb. I wish I could, but canít. I need to comb out every night to detangle to avoid knotting and remove hair shed.
Hair shed causes more of a headache for me if I wait until wash days, which I use to do. Finger combing for my hair type never gives a well groomed appearance, especially if I wear it down. It doesnít remove hair shed to avoid knots or possible hair matting. At least with coming hair that is caught or clumped wonít look so ďfrizzed.Ē It may be more smoother with daily combing. You just have to find what works.

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 12th, 2018, 01:00 PM
Rebecca, it could be that your hair loves protein. Definitely try Devacurl again and see how it does.

Have you also tried a leave-in milk? They're wonderful to add moisture and help with frizz. Your hair would soak it up so it wouldn't feel like that coating you get with oil.

Here's a really good video that talks about various types of hair and how products can affect it. Love this woman, really glad she's back and doing videos.

https://youtu.be/CrDiNXsS1l4

I mean it use to feel different a year ago, I’m probably going to just throw out the Garnier and go back to not using hair mills or leave in conditioner. I want to use up the rest of my KCKT gel/curling cream first before I start using the devacurl.
I guess I need to get back to experimenting again.

lapushka
September 12th, 2018, 02:45 PM
To be totally frank and honest. I don't think it's bad - at all. I think it's totally normal. I mean, mine can look worse than this. I wouldn't think so much about it, if I were you. If you give your hair the care it needs, some good TLC, you do your S&D regularly, trim once in a blue moon, it should be all fine and dandy. Yes, sure every routine can be tweaked here and there, but I happen to think your hair looks beautiful just the way it is. :flower:

Dark40
September 13th, 2018, 02:14 PM
I absolutely hate mane n tail products lol
I get build up within one use so I would need to clarify with almost every wash - so that’s why I don’t use them.

ok, lol i'm so sorry to hear that. mane n tail must have silicones in it, and you must have a problem with silicone products?
Yeah, and clarifying with almost every wash isn't good for the hair at all. It's too dying for it.

Dark40
September 13th, 2018, 02:20 PM
I totally agree with, lapushka and Wednesday. Your hair is pretty. There isn't anything wrong with it. Frizz is normal. I have frizzy hair all of the time. I wouldn't even worry about it. As long as you are giving it lots of TLC and taking good care of it it looks just fine.

AutobotsAttack
September 14th, 2018, 12:04 AM
Oh hm.
Any old weather channel or website will give like a weekly report. Just skim around and see where the humidity percentage lies. There’s lots to pick from or your local weather website. Cali is humid in certain parts. Along the coastline tends to be more humid. The more inland areas can be a bit arid or areas where there’s higher hills that block the condensation. Yada yada science stuff lol.

NorCal ranges between 40-60% humidity, throughout the year, SoCal is a bit more humid. Somewhere in the high 60s-70s, depending on the time of year as well. Rough estimates.

Obsidian
September 14th, 2018, 04:15 AM
When did you chelate last? Mineral buildup will make my hair poofy and misbehave.

Kiisu
September 14th, 2018, 04:34 AM
Without silicone makes hair so frizzy :/

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 14th, 2018, 03:26 PM
When did you chelate last? Mineral buildup will make my hair poofy and misbehave.

I used a swimmers shampoo like a month or so ago.
I didn’t notice a huge difference in my hair after using it that time.
But I need to get a real chelating shampoo but I haven’t noticed a change when using sulphate shampoos, chelating or clarifying shampoos.

MusicalSpoons
September 14th, 2018, 04:31 PM
You seem to have pretty clearly pinpointed the frizz starting when you changed how you wear your hair to sleep, and given the rest of the thread it appears that most likely is the cause. If your pillowcase didn't feel smooth then yeah, it wouldn't do any good, regardless of whether it was silk or synthetic satin weave. I totally understand not wanting to waste money on things that turn out not to help, so time to get creative maybe? I will ask where you got the pillowcase from, though. Mine are all Chinese-made, cheapie-cheap from eBay, nothing special, but they're super smooth and soft. I'm actually experimenting with using one inside-out to contain my hair, either loose or in a bun (as well as sleeping on a satin pillowcase at the same time :grin: )

If a smooth satin pillowcase is not an option, do you have any length of smooth, satiny-feeling material you could either drape over your pillowcase or wrap around your hair somehow, maybe secured gently and loosely (to prevent headaches) with a gentle scrunchie over the top of the material? Or soft jersey material, or just anything else that feels like it would be kind to your hair. There's even satin-weave cotton which, while perhaps not as benign as what we usually think of as satin, should still be kinder than a standard cotton or polycotton pillowcase.

Just some ideas in the hope there may be the spark of something helpful in there. I can't remember who or what, bit something recently made me realise I could use my old (15+yrs old!) Jersey cotton pyjama trousers instead of a towel for drying my hair, so that's the kind of thing I mean by getting creative :)

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 14th, 2018, 05:18 PM
You seem to have pretty clearly pinpointed the frizz starting when you changed how you wear your hair to sleep, and given the rest of the thread it appears that most likely is the cause. If your pillowcase didn't feel smooth then yeah, it wouldn't do any good, regardless of whether it was silk or synthetic satin weave. I totally understand not wanting to waste money on things that turn out not to help, so time to get creative maybe? I will ask where you got the pillowcase from, though. Mine are all Chinese-made, cheapie-cheap from eBay, nothing special, but they're super smooth and soft. I'm actually experimenting with using one inside-out to contain my hair, either loose or in a bun (as well as sleeping on a satin pillowcase at the same time :grin: )

If a smooth satin pillowcase is not an option, do you have any length of smooth, satiny-feeling material you could either drape over your pillowcase or wrap around your hair somehow, maybe secured gently and loosely (to prevent headaches) with a gentle scrunchie over the top of the material? Or soft jersey material, or just anything else that feels like it would be kind to your hair. There's even satin-weave cotton which, while perhaps not as benign as what we usually think of as satin, should still be kinder than a standard cotton or polycotton pillowcase.

Just some ideas in the hope there may be the spark of something helpful in there. I can't remember who or what, bit something recently made me realise I could use my old (15+yrs old!) Jersey cotton pyjama trousers instead of a towel for drying my hair, so that's the kind of thing I mean by getting creative :)
My last pillow case was the same - cheap from China off eBay.
Which is why if I’m going to buy another pillow case, I would want to spend decent money and know I am getting a quality fiber.
Because
It’s obvious that the cheap stuff doesn’t work with my hair.. unfortunately

MusicalSpoons
September 14th, 2018, 05:39 PM
My last pillow case was the same - cheap from China off eBay.
Which is why if I’m going to buy another pillow case, I would want to spend decent money and know I am getting a quality fiber.
Because
It’s obvious that the cheap stuff doesn’t work with my hair.. unfortunately

Ah, fair enough. In that case I would suggest looking for a creative solution until you can buy a decent one :flower:

(I suppose a compromise could be to buy a length of decent material and sew a pillowcase yourself? Might still be more expensive than a cheap pillowcase, but should be less expensive than buying a good quality one. But if you already own something you can repurpose, you won't be losing anything if it doesn't massively help. Though I've personally found sleeping on satin has been the biggest help for my hair since learning protective styles - I've grown out some parts of my hair that previously just used to wear away, and a satin bonnet specifically helped reduce tangles so much. I think that's why I'm so keen on encouraging people to find something that works similarly well for them!)

Dark40
September 15th, 2018, 11:28 AM
Without silicone makes hair so frizzy :/

I totally agree with you on that note! :) My hair loves silicones! :D Have you tried this product on the market called, 'SiliconeMix?" If you and your hair loves silicones you would love this product! And, it also smells good too!