PDA

View Full Version : Coconut oil vs Hair

elfynity
September 8th, 2018, 06:11 AM
I have just had a crazy deep hair conditioning experience. I put coconut oil on the ends of my hair overnight and tried to wash it out this morning, but it was quite 'crusty' and it took a lot of washes and scrubbing to get it out. It seems like trying to get coconut oil out of your hair is more damaging than it's benefits.

I read that coconut oil is one of those special oils that are able to get into your hair shaft and are excellent pre poo. I also saw recipes to use coconut oil with honey for a deep condition, and would really like to reap the benefits here.

Did I do it wrong? I am not sure if I missed something with this process, or if some types of hair just hate cococnut oil. It would be a pity becase it smells so good.

psyc2321
September 8th, 2018, 06:16 AM
I find shampoo is terrible at removing excess oil - conditioner is much better at it.

Out of curiosity, did you apply the CO to wet or dry hair last night?

TreesOfEternity
September 8th, 2018, 06:27 AM
For me unless it’s quite hot I avoid leaving coconut oil on my hair for too long as if it cools down again and solidifies I can’t get it out easily. I warm it up before applying it and remove it with warm water and a good amount of conditioner.

Longlegs
September 8th, 2018, 06:41 AM
It comes out better if you just use conditioner and make sure the water is'nt too hot.

Milkchocolate
September 8th, 2018, 07:57 AM
Coconut oil never worked on my hair! I imagine it happens to a lot of people. Perhaps it works on certain hair types but it made the texture of mine feel like stringy goo (no matter how little/ how much washing I did) and made it shed in clumps. Never had experienced that much shedding before. It was bad!
I’ve always wondered what type of hair is compatible with coconut oil

lithostoic
September 8th, 2018, 08:04 AM
I don't have an issue removing coconut oil. Maybe you used way too much. Like others said, soaking it in conditioner is much more effective than shampooing.

ravenskey
September 8th, 2018, 09:02 AM
Could you not just use it as a leave-in?
As long as you don't put it on your scalp that would seem fine to me.

I put coconut oil on my ends every morning to help detangle and if my hair was in a plait or half up, I put on more at night.
I only wash my hair once every two weeks and don't have any problems with it.

Alex Lou
September 8th, 2018, 09:08 AM
What temp was the water?

elsiedeluxe
September 8th, 2018, 09:26 AM
I think coconut oil is one of those things that doesn't work for a lot of people. I find that it does almost nothing for my hair.

MsKafka
September 8th, 2018, 10:55 AM
I learned quickly with coconut oil that a little goes a long way lol (I mean like dime to quarter size). If I do a coconut oil mask, I use conditioner when washing it out followed by a shampoo and have found this eliminates a lot of the excess "greasiness" from my hair.

squirrrel
September 8th, 2018, 11:35 AM
My biggest problem with getting coconut oil to absorb is being in a cool climate, where the oil is solid at room temperature 99% of the time. When the oil resolidifies before it is fully absorbed, it can make a mess.

MusicalSpoons
September 8th, 2018, 12:59 PM
It's also a 'drying' oil, in that it will form a kind of coating by oxidation (or maybe semi-drying, technically, I'm not 100% sure) which other oils often used on hair don't do. I think it's to do with having a low iodine value? I don't have the brainpower to investigate right now, but thought I'd mention it in case someone else wants to!

elfynity
September 8th, 2018, 03:43 PM
I find shampoo is terrible at removing excess oil - conditioner is much better at it.

Out of curiosity, did you apply the CO to wet or dry hair last night?

Hi Psyc, I applied it to dry hair.

elfynity
September 8th, 2018, 03:45 PM
What temp was the water?

I use water that feels cool to the touch, probably below 30 degrees celsius.

elfynity
September 8th, 2018, 03:47 PM
My biggest problem with getting coconut oil to absorb is being in a cool climate, where the oil is solid at room temperature 99% of the time. When the oil resolidifies before it is fully absorbed, it can make a mess.

It has been colder her the last few days and my coconut oil is actually solidified at the moment. It was a solidified mess in my hair no doubt.

psyc2321
September 8th, 2018, 03:49 PM
Hi Psyc, I applied it to dry hair.

I use water that feels cool to the touch, probably below 30 degrees celsius.

Okay, so I see why you might have had problems. Coconut oil absorbs a lot better when applied to at least damp hair (I just use a mister bottle if I’m using it for a pre wash), and it’s solid below 27 degrees, so it definitely won’t rinse out unless you use body temp or slightly warmer water.

hanniejayyy
September 8th, 2018, 07:10 PM
i use coconut oil whenever i can be bothered as a mask (warmed up and even then i don’t use more than maybe a tablespoon for my whole head of shoulder length hair) but it is an absolute nightmare to wash out! i’ll have to try washing it out with conditioner...

spidermom
September 8th, 2018, 08:06 PM
I like to use coconut oil as a pre-shampoo treatment. I use maybe 1/2 teaspoon warmed by rubbing between the palms of my hands at my current length of APL, then applied by sandwiching hair between palms and massaging. I do it when I notice that the area at my scalp is oily enough to need a washing. I then apply coconut oil to the length and make a top of head looped ponytail for the night. The next morning I wash. I've noticed that it works equally well if I work the shampoo through and let it marinate or rinse the shampoo out right away and work conditioner through and let it marinate. I would imagine that the conditioner soak is better for the health of my hair. I've noticed that sometimes it seems like my hair still feels oily when I rinse, but when it dries it doesn't look oily. This makes me wonder if people are being too aggressive about washing the oily feeling out when it's not necessary.

Anyway, my hair responds very well to a pre-wash coconut oil treatment, and I do it at least once a month at this length (APL). I'll need to do it more often at longer lengths I expect.

Jo Ann
September 8th, 2018, 09:59 PM
I have better luck with coconut oil when I use it as part of a LOC. Forget using it on my hair when it's dry--once it's absorbed, my hair feels a bit crunchy/dry.

On the rare occasions when I've used it as a pre-poo oil, I've let conditioner marinate in my hair for about 30 minutes before washing out the conditioner and oil.

cathair
September 9th, 2018, 07:19 AM
You mixed the coconut oil with honey? I might look at the honey as the culprit. Maybe it crystallised?

Chromis
September 9th, 2018, 07:26 AM
My hair likes coconut oil, but I use way, way less of it than most of the thread has been mentioning. I do not use enough for it to noticeably solidify. Nowhere near a tablespoon, not even a teaspoon and I have calf-length hair. I use a couple of finger scrapes worth. When my hair was shorter (comparatively to now!) I used less. BSL was only like a fingernail scraping and tailbone was two. By classic I'd say maybe a 1/16th teaspoon. I might be up to 1/8 tsp now if I measured, possibly 1/4.

MusicalSpoons
September 9th, 2018, 07:27 AM
You mixed the coconut oil with honey? I might look at the honey as the culprit. Maybe it crystallised?

I think OP mentioned honey in terms of recipes she might like to try. Either way, honey by itself easily washes out with water, crystallised or not :)

cathair
September 9th, 2018, 07:51 AM
I think OP mentioned honey in terms of recipes she might like to try. Either way, honey by itself easily washes out with water, crystallised or not :)

Yeah, I wasn't sure if she had or hadn't tried it yet.

I think it's one of those YMMV things. I find honey a nightmare to wash out, -2 out of 10 would never try again. Coconut oil (apart from it reeking) is fine on me.

nycelle
September 9th, 2018, 08:22 AM
Did you use only water to wash the coconut/honey mixture out? (I think you said you're water only in other threads.)
If so, that may not have been enough to rinse it completely clean.

Alibran
September 9th, 2018, 08:43 AM
As others have said, coconut oil isn't going anywhere if it's solidified. I use loads - for the person who asked, my very thick, coarse, curly, protein-loving hair can't get enough - and it's much easier to work with in temperatures above 30 Celsius. Mixed with conditioner, it makes a great heavy styling product - curl cream, I suppose you'd call it - in cooler temperatures.

MusicalSpoons
September 9th, 2018, 09:09 AM
Yeah, I wasn't sure if she had or hadn't tried it yet.

I think it's one of those YMMV things. I find honey a nightmare to wash out, -2 out of 10 would never try again. Coconut oil (apart from it reeking) is fine on me.

Oh wow, I honestly thought honey was so easy to wash out purely because it's water-soluble - I would never have guessed anyone would have a problem with it! I'm glad I know that now, so in future I won't just blindly assume, thanks.

OP, was it you who uses an organic/natural conditioner on your ends with an otherwise WO routine? If so, it might be worth trying the coconut oil again, then washing it out with the conditioner using warmer water. But if that doesn't work, then you probably are better off using it as something other than a pre-wash DT.

Kat-Rinnè Naido
September 9th, 2018, 01:02 PM
When I first joined LHC I found certain oils just did not agree. Coconut oil would make my hair look dehydrated and it would feel crunchy. I would then dilute it with other more agreeable oils and found no issue when used in this way. Two years later and I can use the oil neat. However I use it on damp hair after wash.
Being 3b I use more oil than most. When I wash I use much warmer water but not too hot.
I hope this helps
Good luck and happy growing.

elfynity
September 9th, 2018, 01:34 PM
Okay, so I see why you might have had problems. Coconut oil absorbs a lot better when applied to at least damp hair (I just use a mister bottle if I’m using it for a pre wash), and it’s solid below 27 degrees, so it definitely won’t rinse out unless you use body temp or slightly warmer water.

My water is definitly too cool, and I went about it in the wrong way for sure. How long would you leave it in for, and would you cover your head to keep the coconut from going solid?

elfynity
September 9th, 2018, 01:37 PM
I like to use coconut oil as a pre-shampoo treatment. I use maybe 1/2 teaspoon warmed by rubbing between the palms of my hands at my current length of APL, then applied by sandwiching hair between palms and massaging. I do it when I notice that the area at my scalp is oily enough to need a washing. I then apply coconut oil to the length and make a top of head looped ponytail for the night. The next morning I wash. I've noticed that it works equally well if I work the shampoo through and let it marinate or rinse the shampoo out right away and work conditioner through and let it marinate. I would imagine that the conditioner soak is better for the health of my hair. I've noticed that sometimes it seems like my hair still feels oily when I rinse, but when it dries it doesn't look oily. This makes me wonder if people are being too aggressive about washing the oily feeling out when it's not necessary.

Anyway, my hair responds very well to a pre-wash coconut oil treatment, and I do it at least once a month at this length (APL). I'll need to do it more often at longer lengths I expect.

Hi Spidermom, with this routine, what advantage do you find there is for your ends?

elfynity
September 9th, 2018, 01:39 PM

I have used honey on my hair frequently over the last few weeks, the same jar, I've mixed it into my hair with water, conditioner and with some avo and didn't have this effect, so not sure that it is the honey through process of elimination.

elfynity
September 9th, 2018, 01:47 PM
Did you use only water to wash the coconut/honey mixture out? (I think you said you're water only in other threads.)
If so, that may not have been enough to rinse it completely clean.

Hi Nycelle, I read that coconut oil is that one oil that is able to soak into your hair. I wasn't expecting to have to wash it out really. I thought it would absorb in and be magical. When my hair went crusty, it was then that I realised that I needed to get it out. I first used home-made cornstarch shampoo twice - which actually removed alot of it, but not all. I didn't want to take a chance and leave the mess on so once it dried and still felt bad, I used diluted organic shampoo and removed it after quite a bit of 'scrubbing'.

elfynity
September 9th, 2018, 01:51 PM
As others have said, coconut oil isn't going anywhere if it's solidified. I use loads - for the person who asked, my very thick, coarse, curly, protein-loving hair can't get enough - and it's much easier to work with in temperatures above 30 Celsius. Mixed with conditioner, it makes a great heavy styling product - curl cream, I suppose you'd call it - in cooler temperatures.

I live in subtropical climate, but we are coming out of winter and just had a few very cold days - day temperature was only about 20 degrees celsius. I think coconut oil will be much more successful for me to use this coming summer because I remember last year my coconut oil was liquid the whole of summer.

elfynity
September 9th, 2018, 01:53 PM
OP, was it you who uses an organic/natural conditioner on your ends with an otherwise WO routine? If so, it might be worth trying the coconut oil again, then washing it out with the conditioner using warmer water. But if that doesn't work, then you probably are better off using it as something other than a pre-wash DT.

MusicalSpoons, yes I am that one! I've put it in my kitchen for now!

elfynity
September 9th, 2018, 01:54 PM
When I first joined LHC I found certain oils just did not agree. Coconut oil would make my hair look dehydrated and it would feel crunchy. I would then dilute it with other more agreeable oils and found no issue when used in this way. Two years later and I can use the oil neat. However I use it on damp hair after wash.
Being 3b I use more oil than most. When I wash I use much warmer water but not too hot.
I hope this helps
Good luck and happy growing.

Hi KAt, yes this is helpful. Why do you think you are able to use it neat now with a different affect?

MusicalSpoons
September 9th, 2018, 02:11 PM
I live in subtropical climate, but we are coming out of winter and just had a few very cold days - day temperature was only about 20 degrees celsius. I think coconut oil will be much more successful for me to use this coming summer because I remember last year my coconut oil was liquid the whole of summer.

(I'm sorry, I just had to reply to this - the idea of 20℃ being 'very cold' had me like :rollin: :rollin: :rollin:!! :p we did have a heatwave this year but usually 20℃ for us is the 'oh, it's summer' temperature ;) )

Responding to a different post above, for coconut oil to soak in, you probably just need to use less :) when I've used coconut oil in the past, my hair did drink it up to a certain point. Beyond that and it was a nightmare to get out! (My hair doesn't particularly like it after a few uses though.)

elfynity
September 10th, 2018, 05:30 AM
(I'm sorry, I just had to reply to this - the idea of 20℃ being 'very cold' had me like :rollin: :rollin: :rollin:!! :p we did have a heatwave this year but usually 20℃ for us is the 'oh, it's summer' temperature ;) )

Responding to a different post above, for coconut oil to soak in, you probably just need to use less :) when I've used coconut oil in the past, my hair did drink it up to a certain point. Beyond that and it was a nightmare to get out! (My hair doesn't particularly like it after a few uses though.)

Hi Musicalspoons, Ha ha, oh ja, 20 here is a cool day in Spring.

i am just going to use less and wait also till things 'warm' up a bit more so my coconut oil is liquid at room temperature.

postpixie88
September 25th, 2018, 02:45 PM
I always CWC and use a sulfate shampoo after oil treatments, but even so coconut oil didn't work for me! My hair was stiff and dull afterwards. I switched to olive oil and love it! Oils work differently for different hair, YMMV :)

torrilin
September 25th, 2018, 11:45 PM
Different oils definitely work differently for different hair. But there’s other factors too.

Chromis is right that dose matters. If I’m using olive oil, I don’t need to be super precise. Coconut oil I’m absolutely measuring in tiny scrapes. Jojoba for me is in between, and cocoa butter I can go pretty nuts. Mineral oil or petroleum jelly are ok on skin but not in hair. Everybody is different in what oils they can get and what doses work. Tho type 4 hair definitely drinks oil.

Hair type matters. So does skin type. My skin is dry as a bone, and takes a lot of effort to keep intact and not bleeding. This includes my scalp even. So I’m a type 1 for curl, but my skin is very dry compared to the average for type 1. And it means I don’t have much in the way of natural oil protecting my hair. A type 1 with very oily skin is likely to use much less oil and much milder conditioner. Me, I use a lot of stuff aimed at type 3 and type 4 hair, just I use less.

Cymiri
September 27th, 2018, 04:51 AM
OP, I'm in South Africa too, and I use coconut oil as a pre-poo every time. I think the worries about it solidifying in this thread are either a little too cautious, or relating to using way too much of it.
I use a piece in my palm maybe the size of a local 10c piece liquid [if it's cold and it's solid, a take a chunk and rub it between my palms to melt it]. I then spread that over my hands so there's a fine sheen, and drag it down my hair. That will be enough to do 1/3 to 1/2 of my hair [medium density, about hip length through winter this year]. I'll then add a bit extra to the end. If it's all oily and slick like a guy from the Grease movie, it's way too much for this heavy and dense oil. On the still-dry hair, it barely shows. You know when you slightly overconditioned your hair and haven't washed it out properly? That's how it looks, no more. It would still be perfectly accpetable in a braid or updo, for example. In my experience, in our climate, this doesn't solidify in any meaningful or worrying way.

To the best of my knowledge the information about Coconut oil being a drying oil earlier is entirely incorrect. 'Drying' oils are those like linseed and flax, which cure to a resin over time [that's why linseed oil can be used to protect wood]. Coconut oil doesn't do that.

Coconut oil is in a unique class where it can penetrate the hair. Sunflower is also supposed to do this. Then you get your non-penetrating oils like mineral, canola, castor, which seal but can't soak in.

Coconut can be tricky for some people, as it helps hold protein in the hair shaft. This means that, while it's an oil NOT a protein, it can cause the same freak-out as protein if your hair is protein sensative.- that may be what caused your crunchy ends as even if all the oil washed out it shouldn't do that, just look stringy and blah.

It's likely best used, for most people, as a pre-poo soak in. This 'fills' your hair shaft, preventing hygral fatigue when you wash [hygral fatigue is when too much water gets in, especially on high porosity hair, and makes your hair swell and causes micro damage]. That's how I use it.

I apply my coconut oil so it can sit 8-12 hours to penetrate, which a science-orientated hair blog I follow has proven is enough for it to do its thing. I wash with either a tbsp of shampoo in a litre of water, or more commonly I use 2 eggs. Anything that emulsifys should be ok to get the oil traces out of your hair. For me personally, I then follow with a catnip soak and a hibiscus tea rinse. I actually use mineral oil as my sealing oil after the wash on wet hair, and with this routine I have seen a dramatic upswing in moisture in my hair. I need more protein, but that's by the by.

Cymiri
September 27th, 2018, 04:59 AM
Mineral oil or petroleum jelly are ok on skin but not in hair. .

Mineral oil or petroleum jelly are ok on skin but not in hair.

Mineral oil [as in baby oil minus addatives] can be used for hair. I use it. It needs a specific set of circumstances to be of use though. For people with dry hair, it must only ever be applied to wet hair. For those satisfied with the moisture in their hair, it can be applied on dry hair. And it should not be overdone to smothering levels of oil- a very light coating that's barely visible on the hair is appropriate.

It's a highly sealing oil with some anti-static and UV resistant properties, but offers no extra fatty acids etc like with some of the natural. I like that it's inert and cannot go rancid, though. Plus how little I need to use- say 2-3 drops. I'm stuggling financially at the moment so the fact one bottle lasts forever is great.

Petroleum jelly would be inappropriate, though, as it's a grade too heavy an oil.

elfynity
September 27th, 2018, 06:41 AM
Hi Cymiri, so nice to have someone else here from SA. I didn't think that cold weather could be an issue here for coconut oil - mine is permanently liquid.
You have really explained this well and I totally appreciate that, thanks so much.

I don't use shampoo, not even organic unless I have an accident - my routine involves cornstarch shampoo at the most, so unless I can get it out with that ... but I'd like to try using a very small amount like you have described. I am in Durban, which is very humid, so I wonder if the moisture is being sucked out of my hair or put into my hair? Not sure!

Cymiri
September 27th, 2018, 11:26 AM
I know egg has taken it out for me [I much prefer beaten egg to the flour shampoos, but my hair does have a lack of protein issue so could be that. I only use commercial shampoo when we've run out of eggs, because they evaporate in this house]. Anything that emulsifies should remove oil if used sparingly. Moisture won't be sucked out of your hair in a humid environment [jealous- I'm Highveld so I'm running humidifiers most the time so I don't dry up]. If you have frizz you may be getting moisture overload, otherwise you're probably good.

elfynity
September 27th, 2018, 01:08 PM
Oh no, don't say the egg!!! I put egg on my hair once and I can't bring myself to face it again - the smell is gross. I may have to try it again though if I have to. Do you use the white and the yolk?
That summer humidity is creeping in here, I suppose it never really is dry here, but I swear my ends were so dry. I'm not really sure why but leaving conditioner in my ends and keeping my hair up has really worked.
I wish I could send some humidity over there for you! I may as well just send the beach over while I'm at it, ha ha!

EDIT: Just thought, maybe my hair is dry because it is pretty warm here, all the time.

lapushka
September 27th, 2018, 04:21 PM
torrilin, I have used mineral oil on my hair plenty of times without a problem; the key is to use about 5-10 drops in the rinse out oil method and that is more than enough. It's all in how much of it you use. Even Madora, who is a very longstanding member here, uses it on her hair.

Cymiri
September 28th, 2018, 02:52 AM
I think with egg the key is to keep the water cold to tepid. Otherwise, it cooks in, which a friend did and is the epitome of gross. I've never had a smell linger, could be the after-soak with catnip that chases it away though.

The thing that actually does the work in the egg is lecithin. I've always wondered if the veggie lecithin in a water solution would work as well but never got around to checking it myself.

I'd recommend the science-y hair blog's articles on hair porosity if your ends are dry. I found it immensely useful on that and oils.

elfynity
September 28th, 2018, 06:06 AM
Cymiri, as soon as the egg is opened it makes my stomach turn - not my fav food. i'll take a look at those scienc-y things. For now though the conditioner is working well!

Dee94
September 28th, 2018, 10:23 AM
Different oils definitely work differently for different hair. But there’s other factors too.

Chromis is right that dose matters. If I’m using olive oil, I don’t need to be super precise.

When you use Olive oil, do you put it on damp or dry hair? I'm thinking of trying it as a bit of a leave in but not sure weather to do it on dry or damp hair...

MusicalSpoons
September 28th, 2018, 10:33 AM
When you use Olive oil, do you put it on damp or dry hair? I'm thinking of trying it as a bit of a leave in but not sure weather to do it on dry or damp hair...

I know I'm not the one you were replying to, so I hope you don't mind me chiming in, but I think it depends what purpose you want it to serve. To seal in moisture, probably damp would be best, but if you want it to nourish, then better on dry hair :)

Dee94
September 28th, 2018, 12:39 PM
I know I'm not the one you were replying to, so I hope you don't mind me chiming in, but I think it depends what purpose you want it to serve. To seal in moisture, probably damp would be best, but if you want it to nourish, then better on dry hair :)

Awesome, thanks! :) I just use the quote and hope anyone response to my question. :P

Cymiri
September 29th, 2018, 09:28 AM
Ha! Yeah. I definitely don't have that issue- I'm stuck with them as one of the only protein sources open to me right now, so eat way too many of them a day.

Kat-Rinnè Naido
September 29th, 2018, 01:18 PM
Hi KAt, yes this is helpful. Why do you think you are able to use it neat now with a different affect?

So sorry for the late reply.I just saw this post now.
I cannot say why I am able to use coconut oil neat now.
Changes I made I do not use conditioner. I use coconut milk or cream instead. I am wo. When I was using conditioner I would have to spritz and oil my hair frequently between wash. I tend to use oils in winter. Summer is too hot ...Durban weather.

elfynity
September 30th, 2018, 05:56 AM
I am wo. When I was using conditioner I would have to spritz and oil my hair frequently between wash. I tend to use oils in winter.
This is interesting, why would you need to oil your hair frequently when you were using conditioner? did your conditioner have silicones in it? It sounds to me that conditioner was making your hair drier?

Summer is too hot ...Durban weather.
Kat, I'm also in Durbs!!!

Kat-Rinnè Naido
October 7th, 2018, 09:18 AM
This is interesting, why would you need to oil your hair frequently when you were using conditioner? did your conditioner have silicones in it? It sounds to me that conditioner was making your hair drier?

Kat, I'm also in Durbs!!!

Nice to connect with you.

Yes my conditioner did have silicone.

LittleOgre
October 7th, 2018, 10:50 AM
I dont like coconut oil. I really wanted to love it because its the oil that can seep into ur hair shaft the most out of all oils but I cant love it. It makes my hair hard and stiff... It definitely seeps in but i dont feel softness or strength. I feel my hair is brittle breaks easily. I'm still looking for A really good oil that I can depend on lol. I'm thinking about MCT honestly.

Cymiri
October 7th, 2018, 11:56 AM
Little Ogre...how does your hair feel about protein?

Because coconut oil helps preserve protein in the strand, it can upset hair that doesn't like protein [even though, as an oil, it doesn't actually have protein itself in it]

Brittle air typically lacks protein, moisture or both. Have you tried the strand test ot see if it points you in the direction of which?

elfynity
October 7th, 2018, 02:28 PM
I dont like coconut oil. I really wanted to love it because its the oil that can seep into ur hair shaft the most out of all oils but I cant love it. It makes my hair hard and stiff... It definitely seeps in but i dont feel softness or strength. I feel my hair is brittle breaks easily. I'm still looking for A really good oil that I can depend on lol. I'm thinking about MCT honestly.

I swapped to Avocado oil which is one of those other oils that are also absorbed into your hair. It has been much more successful for me than coconut oil. Same here, I just couldn't get it to work for me - which is so sad because I looooove the smell of it.