PDA

View Full Version : what is a protective style?

cupcake_drgn
September 7th, 2018, 02:05 AM
today I can finally gather my hair in a bun :D I read a lot about protective styles, I was wondering if a ballerina bun counts as such. What is your most loved, go-to style? My hair is a little longer than should length.

MusicalSpoons
September 7th, 2018, 06:02 AM
It depends on how tight the style is and how you secure it. A protective style will contain the hair out of harm's way without causing any damage. Buns are generally protective as they contain all the hair, but if it's too tight or secured with something like bobby pins and/or elastics, it will still likely be doing some damage. I used to wear my hair in a bun every day, secured with an elastic, thinking I was doing my hair a favour. I was doing most of it a favour, except the ends were constantly being worn away by the elastic, and the hair at the base of the bun probably suffered too. I now wear buns daily but secured with a hair fork or stick, or occasionally hair-friendly clip(s) or pins.

Braids at shorter lengths are usually considered protective, providing the ends are not damaged by whatever method used to secure them. At longer lengths they can still expose a lot of the hair to damage from friction by rubbing on clothes, or getting caught in things, etc. A bunned braid, or a braid pinned up is usually protective. Other styles such as a peacock twist or French twist are usually protective too, again providing it's secured in a hair-friendly method.

Sorry that turned into a ramble, but the single biggest change that helped my hair grow longer than tailbone for the first time ever, was using hair forks and sticks instead of hair elastics.

MamaLou
September 7th, 2018, 06:09 AM
I would say that is a protective hairstyle :) I would consider a hairstyle protective if no heat is used and no elastics are used (i like to use those phone cord elastics and scrunchies instead, spin pins are great as well for buns) and if it protects the hair from rubbing too much against surfaces.

My go-to's are the low bun and pigtail braids :) My hair is arm pit length.

Hairkay
September 7th, 2018, 06:35 AM
Any hairstyle that has hair up and the ends tucked away without pulling hair too tight is a protective style.

lapushka
September 7th, 2018, 04:11 PM
I agree about the style not being too tight. If your hair is shoulder and you're already bunning with ii/iii hair, chances are it might be too tight. I'm iii and could only manage to do a bun comfortably at waist/hip. So I'd watch out how you're securing things and maybe switch to a peacock twist with a claw clip over the tight bun.

hanniejayyy
September 9th, 2018, 03:57 PM
for my shorter hair, double braids are a good protective style for sleeping - i sleep on my back and this style means there’s less friction on the pillow. also, it gives me some cool waves in the morning!

cjk
September 10th, 2018, 09:18 PM
Well, it depends on what you're protecting it from. This spent half of the day, today, under a hard hat. Held up pretty well.

https://i.imgur.com/efvmONH_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

nikittyy
September 21st, 2018, 03:47 PM
It typically refers to anything that keeps your hair from experiencing friction. I usually dutch or french braid my hair, or put it up in a bun.

cupcake_drgn
September 24th, 2018, 07:13 AM
It depends on how tight the style is and how you secure it. A protective style will contain the hair out of harm's way without causing any damage. Buns are generally protective as they contain all the hair, but if it's too tight or secured with something like bobby pins and/or elastics, it will still likely be doing some damage. I used to wear my hair in a bun every day, secured with an elastic, thinking I was doing my hair a favour. I was doing most of it a favour, except the ends were constantly being worn away by the elastic, and the hair at the base of the bun probably suffered too. I now wear buns daily but secured with a hair fork or stick, or occasionally hair-friendly clip(s) or pins.

Braids at shorter lengths are usually considered protective, providing the ends are not damaged by whatever method used to secure them. At longer lengths they can still expose a lot of the hair to damage from friction by rubbing on clothes, or getting caught in things, etc. A bunned braid, or a braid pinned up is usually protective. Other styles such as a peacock twist or French twist are usually protective too, again providing it's secured in a hair-friendly method.

Sorry that turned into a ramble, but the single biggest change that helped my hair grow longer than tailbone for the first time ever, was using hair forks and sticks instead of hair elastics.

this was eye-opening, thank you! I use bobby pins & tight elastics, but now reconsidering, my hair is dyed so i should probably leave it down while I grow it out. I tried using a hair stick but my hair is way too short to hold a hairstick. I am looking forward to forks now :)

Well, it depends on what you're protecting it from. This spent half of the day, today, under a hard hat. Held up pretty well.

https://i.imgur.com/efvmONH_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

aw yay! I should teach myself how to braid, I would need to french braid it as my hair is quite short still. mainly I try to keep it from blowing in the wind and rain, it's quite stormy where i live!

french braiding is probably the best thing I can do for my hair :) I will try dutch braiding as well, so cool!

for my shorter hair, double braids are a good protective style for sleeping - i sleep on my back and this style means there’s less friction on the pillow. also, it gives me some cool waves in the morning!

I've been twisting my hair at night to get waves but I think I will try braids for a while:) Im a side sleeper, I hope I'm not breaking off hair as I sleep ^_^

I agree about the style not being too tight. If your hair is shoulder and you're already bunning with ii/iii hair, chances are it might be too tight. I'm iii and could only manage to do a bun comfortably at waist/hip. So I'd watch out how you're securing things and maybe switch to a peacock twist with a claw clip over the tight bun.

It is a little tight/uncomfortable! I will switch to braids for windy days. Also going to try a claw clip!

Simsy
September 24th, 2018, 07:26 AM

I do this trick and add a scarf of some sort. Keep the harness inside the hard hat from getting all involved with the braids; and keeps the braids nice and smooth.

cupcake_drgn
September 24th, 2018, 07:27 AM
Any hairstyle that has hair up and the ends tucked away without pulling hair too tight is a protective style.

Ah, makes sense! I will try to tuck in my hairtails lol, they tend to stick out awkwardly at my current length.

I would say that is a protective hairstyle :) I would consider a hairstyle protective if no heat is used and no elastics are used (i like to use those phone cord elastics and scrunchies instead, spin pins are great as well for buns) and if it protects the hair from rubbing too much against surfaces.

My go-to's are the low bun and pigtail braids :) My hair is arm pit length.

Ah nice! yes, I'm inspired to ditch elastics altogether, so I think at my length i'll be wearing french/braid pigtails a lot :)

I've learned so much already, you all are awesome!! thanks! :magic:

Vacurlylady
September 24th, 2018, 08:58 AM
This was an interesting thread to read. I am just able to put my hair up in a bun. I’m using a satin tie and a headband to keep loose ends from falling. I thought I had made it to “protective style” length. Now I’m reconsidering.... so much to learn while I waiting for growth. ☺️

MusicalSpoons
September 24th, 2018, 09:39 AM
this was eye-opening, thank you! I use bobby pins & tight elastics, but now reconsidering, my hair is dyed so i should probably leave it down while I grow it out. I tried using a hair stick but my hair is way too short to hold a hairstick. I am looking forward to forks now :)

You're welcome, I'm glad it was helpful! Up is generally more protective than loose and down so I'm really happy to see you have lots of other ideas how to go about it from the pros :thumbsup: (I have no idea what's really possible and truly protective for shorter lengths :lol: )