PDA

View Full Version : Athlete's foot powder to grow hair? Same ingredient as Monistat

HoneyDayTripper
September 6th, 2018, 09:56 PM
So in the past using Monistat to grow hair has been very effective, but I never cared for the scalp greasiness I would get. I'm trying Desenex Athlete's Foot Powder because it has the same active ingredient as Monistat. Anyone tried this before? I just sprinkle it on my scalp like a dry shampoo.

lapushka
September 7th, 2018, 04:05 AM
So in the past using Monistat to grow hair has been very effective, but I never cared for the scalp greasiness I would get. I'm trying Desenex Athlete's Foot Powder because it has the same active ingredient as Monistat. Anyone tried this before? I just sprinkle it on my scalp like a dry shampoo.

I somehow doubt it does much in powder form. :hmm: I would be curious as to how that would work, because it's not like you're *really* working it into the skin.

Have you noticed effects from it?

MusicalSpoons
September 7th, 2018, 06:40 AM

Interesting. If there were some product to help hair growth that also acted like dry shampoo, I would be very interested in trying it! I think the question is: how does the powder work in its original purpose? Is it an active treatment, or prophylactic? If it is an active treatment for skin on the feet in its powder form, it sounds reasonable to try it on the scalp (after sufficient research, of course).

Alex Lou
September 7th, 2018, 08:48 AM
I'd be afraid that it would dry out my hair since it probably works on the feet because of both the anti-fungal drug and by keeping the feet dry, working like baby powder. It could suck all the water right out of your strands.

If you want an anti-fungal on your scalp, you might as well use the one designed for your scalp: Nizoral. It contains the same class of medication.

lapushka
September 7th, 2018, 09:23 AM
I'd be afraid that it would dry out my hair since it probably works on the feet because of both the anti-fungal drug and by keeping the feet dry, working like baby powder. It could suck all the water right out of your strands.

If you want an anti-fungal on your scalp, you might as well use the one designed for your scalp: Nizoral. It contains the same class of medication.

Yes and you can get Nizoral in shampoo form, so it's nice and easy (do read the instructions because it's not just wash and go, you need to leave this shampoo on for 5 to 10 minutes tops).

HoneyDayTripper
September 8th, 2018, 09:32 AM
I'm going to try it and update you guys in a month or so. :) Found this review of Desenex from makeupalley, "I just wanted to add a suggestion. After trying monistat and seeing impressive growth (1 inch a month vs 1/4 inch) but hating the greasiness of my hair, I considered the main ingredient in it, miconazole nitrate. Turns out this is the same active ingredient as that in Desenex (athlete's foot powder). Now I powder my scalp with Desenex at night and by morning it's "disappeared" but leaves my hair much fuller and not at all greasy, in fact I can go an extra day without washing my hair, and I'm seeing the same growth results I saw with the Monistat. It's a godsend for greasy hair, sort of like combining the effects of monistat treatment and dry shampoo. The smell is unoffensive, like baby powder, and it's cheap, about $5 a bottle." https://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=131697/Monistat-cream/Unlisted-Brand/Hair-Treatments

desisparkles
October 20th, 2018, 03:48 AM
I'm going to try it and update you guys in a month or so. :) Found this review of Desenex from makeupalley, "I just wanted to add a suggestion. After trying monistat and seeing impressive growth (1 inch a month vs 1/4 inch) but hating the greasiness of my hair, I considered the main ingredient in it, miconazole nitrate. Turns out this is the same active ingredient as that in Desenex (athlete's foot powder). Now I powder my scalp with Desenex at night and by morning it's "disappeared" but leaves my hair much fuller and not at all greasy, in fact I can go an extra day without washing my hair, and I'm seeing the same growth results I saw with the Monistat. It's a godsend for greasy hair, sort of like combining the effects of monistat treatment and dry shampoo. The smell is unoffensive, like baby powder, and it's cheap, about $5 a bottle." https://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=131697/Monistat-cream/Unlisted-Brand/Hair-Treatments

curious if you were still doing this...

Astrid Carlisle
October 24th, 2018, 03:53 AM

I'm curious too!!!! Have the Desenex now saved in my amazon basket! How did it go?

ladyfey
October 24th, 2018, 09:10 AM
I use a miconazole spray meant for dogs and horses on my scalp. The price is right and it works, it isn't a powder, but a wet spray that I spray on my hands and rub onto my scalp.

desisparkles
October 24th, 2018, 08:08 PM
I use a miconazole spray meant for dogs and horses on my scalp. The price is right and it works, it isn't a powder, but a wet spray that I spray on my hands and rub onto my scalp.

ooh never heard of the spray. which one do you use and like ladyfey?

blesseddamozel
October 25th, 2018, 05:40 PM
I'm also curious about the spray! how has it worked for you?

Oubli
August 10th, 2020, 02:46 AM
Bumping cuz I got ringworm from my Nanny Kids and have been using miconazole powder spray meant for athlete's foot, same 2% miconazole but works great as a anti-fungal and hair growth stimulator. After 3 months of usage I can say I have stopped shedding (definitely got rid of the ringworm) and have started regrowth at a faster rate than normal. It works great to fake the volume I've lost due to shedding and works as an awesome dry shampoo!