PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyles for back surgery recovery?

lithostoic
September 5th, 2018, 04:43 PM
My MIL will be getting back surgery by mid 2019 and I'm trying to think of how I can put her hair. This is a major surgery to replace old hardware and realign slipped discs. She will be in a hospital bed for at least 2 weeks. And after she comes home it could be a month before she's allowed to lift her arms to her head.

We need something low maintenance and comfortable to lay down with. And preferably cute!! I was thinking cornrows or flat twists but idk if that would be very appropriate considering we are white.

For reference she has curly (she brushes it so idk), coarse, and thick hair which is shoulder length when brushed.

Rowdy
September 5th, 2018, 07:32 PM
Double french braids? They are comfy for sleeping on my back

lithostoic
September 5th, 2018, 08:11 PM
They'd come loose in a few days no doubt. I'm looking for hairstyles that last a week or longer so she can be comfortable and not have to sit up to have her hair restyled.

cjk
September 5th, 2018, 10:28 PM
At shoulder length there isn't a simple hairdo that will last a week without touching it up. Heck, there are people who do knee-length braids and those braids shred.

My goto simple styles, and I'm shoulder length too, are single and double Dutch braids and a French twist secured with a 7-tooth comb. All lay very flat and would probably work for her situation, but will probably need some help after a few days.

lithostoic
September 5th, 2018, 10:34 PM
Guess I'll just have to figure something out myself. Thanks you guys

squirrrel
September 5th, 2018, 11:56 PM
Have you tried a crown braid out? That shouldn’t lead to too many knobbliest, and might stay okay (especially if you then use braid taping). It isn’t something you would want to do regularly given the surgery, but if it could be done once and left a while it might work.

lithostoic
September 6th, 2018, 08:35 AM
Good idea squirrel! I'll have to get some fabric and try it out.

zashin66
September 6th, 2018, 10:15 AM
Is she going to have any kind of rehab? I thought that the usual rehab after back surgery is up with a brace as soon as possible. Maybe the daily hairstyle could be apart of that rehab and give a good reason for geting out of bed everyday?:puppy:

ravenskey
September 6th, 2018, 10:29 AM
Depending how long her plaits are(I never plaited my hair at SL so I don't really know) you could try interlaced braids. I had a wrist operation a couple of weeks ago and I did them on the morning of the operation and kept them in for 4 day and they were fine(I also don't have super curly hair which seems to hold hairdos better).

Hairkay
September 6th, 2018, 10:36 AM
My MIL will be getting back surgery by mid 2019 and I'm trying to think of how I can put her hair. This is a major surgery to replace old hardware and realign slipped discs. She will be in a hospital bed for at least 2 weeks. And after she comes home it could be a month before she's allowed to lift her arms to her head.

We need something low maintenance and comfortable to lay down with. And preferably cute!! I was thinking cornrows or flat twists but idk if that would be very appropriate considering we are white.

For reference she has curly (she brushes it so idk), coarse, and thick hair which is shoulder length when brushed.

Look if you find that cornrows are most convenient go for it. You could do 4 or 5 of them going towards her nape or coming to one side. In the Caribbean everyone wears cornrows at one time or the other even white people and no one judges anyone over it. Heck we'll even do each other's hair.

lithostoic
September 6th, 2018, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the ideas guys! Doing hair is definitely a fun way to bond :) She runs a Facebook page and before she "goes live" she often asks me to give her a nice hairdo. She is hair illiterate, especially being the only curly head in her family!

As for her PT it will be very gradual. Most of it will be done with a nurse visiting her at home. MIL has epilepsy and tends to fall straight backward when she has seizures so her neck/back is super messed up.

kittensoupnrice
September 6th, 2018, 10:50 AM
When I was stuck in the hospital for five days, I did a crown braid secured with hair taping. It kept my hair out of the way and it was extremely comfortable.
Hair taping is when you "sew" the braids to your head with something like a finishing needle (for knitting or crocheting) and a soft satin ribbon.

Garnetgem
September 6th, 2018, 01:24 PM
I myself have had major spinal surgeries so know how tangled hair can become,i like the idea of a crown braid which is what i didn't think of at the time,i just had a plain english braid but it did need redoing weekly,i was unable to move my arms up for the first 6 weeks,but yeah the crown braid sounds very good.

lapushka
September 6th, 2018, 04:11 PM
How long is her hair right now (ETA sorry read over the shoulder length bit)? Maybe she could plan to grow it out a bit, if it's short until that time, so you can braid it more easily?

lithostoic
September 6th, 2018, 07:24 PM
I trim her hair so it always grows nice and long before she wants it short again :) I cut her hair 2 or 3 months ago and it's visibly longer. She REALLY grows hair! It's shoulder curly now, I checked. Beautiful hair.

squirrrel
September 6th, 2018, 11:56 PM
It sounds like lovely hair. How nice that you are able to both take care of it and style it for her. I hope that everything goes to plan in relation to keeping it in good condition during the operation and recovery period.

lapushka
September 7th, 2018, 04:03 AM
Yes it does sound lovely. Curly hair, for me (permed) practically took care of itself. Do you know how often she washes? Maybe you can offer to wash and style her hair for her during those weeks and months of recovery? If it's once or twice a week, I figure it's not too terrible.

Having it braided in cornrows sounds the best so far, to me.

lithostoic
September 7th, 2018, 01:29 PM
She washes her hair every other day. Personally I think she could go a bit longer, like I said, she is hair illiterate. Her haircare consists of shampoo and no conditioner and ripping a vented styling brush through it. It's a miracle it's still so beautiful!

Lizabeth94
September 7th, 2018, 07:10 PM
Maybe a silk hair sleeping cap? Not the kind with elastic edges though, as that would get irritating over a long period of time.