PDA

View Full Version : Bless me longhairs, for I have sinned...

TheLuckyLurker
September 3rd, 2018, 08:27 PM
The bangs that I cut in so long ago that I literally can't remember what year it was are finally almost grown out. I want them back :doh::justy::brickwall. Not the heavy things I had before, just thin wispy ones. Like the Korean see-through bangs. Just enough to break up my giant forehead and keep me from looking like a beluga whale married a Conehead when I brush my hair straight back.

I'm scheduled for a trim in mid-October, so if I still feel the same way I'll go to a hairdresser and have them do the trim and the bangs. So, no impulse cutting here. But still! I've tried reminding myself of the reality of bangs: needing to wash them in the sink every day, heat styling them so they look right, the trouble I'm going to have keeping them out of the way when I do my skincare routines, regular trims, etc. to no avail. I want my bangs back. I'm shaking my head at myself.

Anybody want to chime in and commiserate or complain about their own peculiarities of style?

ursaV
September 3rd, 2018, 09:38 PM
The only thing that keeps me away from bangs these days is the inevitable regret. I've had chunky straight bangs, wispy, micro, side swept... seriously any bang trend from 2010 onward I've had at some point. :rolleyes: But I always regret them because they get greasy so quickly, plus I can't easily pull them back with the rest of my hair. Though your signature says you're enjoying shorter hair for now so if it means bangs for you, go for it (if you have the resilience to grow them out again in the future... dun dun dun).

But I have the five head problem so I can see where you're coming from with wanting you hair to frame your face a certain way. If you still want them in mid October that's waaay past the two week rule, so at least you can decide in a good amount of time! My peculiarity has always been impulse chopping or dying it into whatever strikes my fancy or style at the moment, which has caused endless hair related problems. Probably why I've rarely been happy with the way it looks or feels, leading to ever more haircuts!

Julescarm
September 3rd, 2018, 10:10 PM
Check out faux bangs. YouTube has tutorials or you can buy them online.

RubberDucky
September 3rd, 2018, 11:30 PM
I'm growing out my hair but I will keep the bangs. I'd love to grow them out too but that look really doesn't suit me so... Mine are eyebrow length, relatively thick but with a wispy edge, not blunt cut.

Don't make any rash decisions but choose what feels right for you.

leayellena
September 4th, 2018, 12:14 AM
The bangs that I cut in so long ago that I literally can't remember what year it was are finally almost grown out. I want them back :doh::justy::brickwall. Not the heavy things I had before, just thin wispy ones. Like the Korean see-through bangs. Just enough to break up my giant forehead and keep me from looking like a beluga whale married a Conehead when I brush my hair straight back.

I'm scheduled for a trim in mid-October, so if I still feel the same way I'll go to a hairdresser and have them do the trim and the bangs. So, no impulse cutting here. But still! I've tried reminding myself of the reality of bangs: needing to wash them in the sink every day, heat styling them so they look right, the trouble I'm going to have keeping them out of the way when I do my skincare routines, regular trims, etc. to no avail. I want my bangs back. I'm shaking my head at myself.

Anybody want to chime in and commiserate or complain about their own peculiarities of style?

Andrea (http://691superlonghair.blogspot.com//) has floor length hair and bangs. there´s no sin in framing your face a bit :)

lapushka
September 4th, 2018, 04:47 AM
Maybe thinner ones will be easier to deal with, you can try. And it's smart that you're giving yourself a good chunk of time to think about it. If you really want them, I say go for it.

torringpaige on YT has thin wispy bangs as well, and she can brush them back no issue when she wants them gone; they blend in easily too.

Of course you'd still have to wash & style often... you have to decide if it's worth it. :flower:

Good luck!

LizzyGrant
September 4th, 2018, 07:19 AM
I have those korean see through bangs and honestly I love them. I had blunt bangs before as well but wispy bangs are so much better and easier. I can just brush them away from my face if I feel like it and I don't need to use heat on them, just a regular hair roller sometimes (no heat). But my hair type is different than yours. Torrinpaige has a good tutorial about see through bangs and also Loepsie. I don't wash my bangs in the sink but if they are a little greasy I just wet when I'm in the shower. At least to me they are a very good hair decision. I like having something framing my face but I also like the option to brush them away. Plus, they are much easier to grow out if you don't like them, because only a small amount of hair is cut.

Amenahh
September 4th, 2018, 07:20 AM
I am in a similar situation. My bangs have reached the tip of my nose after 3 months of growing them, and now I want them back.
I just look better with bangs. And feel more like myself. So I'm going to chop them! :)

You have plenty of time to think about it until your trim.

Why do you have to wash them every day though?

Lady Stardust
September 4th, 2018, 07:53 AM
I had to google Korean see through bangs - looks like the wispy fringe a lot of us had in the 80s :) Not good with oily hair or any kind of creamy skincare products.

In general, I think fringes (bangs) are a great way to change up a style and they can be incredibly flattering. I’m lucky that mine sit well, as a rule, and don’t require styling or extra washing. Some hair types struggle with this though.

I’ve noticed from the Growing out Bangs thread that there’s an awful lot of indecision...me included...about whether to grow them out or cut them back in, so you’re not alone OP! It drives you nuts when you go through such awkward stages growing them out, only to miss them a short while later. It’s not the end of the world though, better to play around with your fringe than with the entire length.

I’m growing mine out at the moment but I don’t intend it to be forever.

TheLuckyLurker
September 4th, 2018, 07:10 PM
I am in a similar situation. My bangs have reached the tip of my nose after 3 months of growing them, and now I want them back.
I just look better with bangs. And feel more like myself. So I'm going to chop them! :)

You have plenty of time to think about it until your trim.

Why do you have to wash them every day though?

I have very oily skin, so any hair that rests against my face gets gross really fast. And bangs would be resting on my forehead, so...

AmaryllisRed
September 6th, 2018, 12:01 AM
Ohhh I feel you.
I was just having similar thoughts today. Mine are finally about chin length, can tuck behind my ears or put them in buns. Why am I thinking of cutting them in again? I guess that's just what I do...

WildandSeawhite
September 6th, 2018, 09:18 AM
Agh! I shouldn’t have read this thread, because now I want Korean see through bangs! :doh: My bangs are finally past my shoulders, and I told my husband to remind me how much I hate maintaining bangs if I was ever crazy enough to think about getting them again. I do like the way I look with bangs, but I can’t stand having to get trims every couple weeks. And I don’t like hair in my eyes. I was reading that this style of bangs is easier to pull back on days when you don’t want to wear them though. You can always wear a headband or clip them back to do your skincare routine. I don’t have short bangs, but I still wear one of those stretchy cloth headbands to wash my face at night, to keep all the wispies out of the way.

zashin66
September 6th, 2018, 10:07 AM
I grew my bangs out starting last summer. It has been horrendous to figure out a flattering hairstyle all during the growout. They are below my chin now. I miss them but don't want to ever have to grow them out again should I change mind. I do have short hairs growing out alongside my face and cheek, unfortunately they just tend to frizz rather than lay nicely. I get ringlets right in front of my ears and around my neck. I can finger them and wet them down to dry into wellbehaved little curls but the beautiful, well-behaved, lay alongside the face wisps are just a dream for me.:shrug: