PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic Sam's stylist ruined my hair

Breezy
September 1st, 2018, 10:23 AM
Hi, I had BSL hair, I went in to have some layering around my face, I shouldnt have to begin with. She butchered it by putting in layers starting around my ear, it's a chopped up mess and I've been depressed and in tears. The only way I can wear it is in a topknot. This is going to take forever to grow out. Ladies I need some comfort, anything, I just can't believe it. I don't think I look that great with my hair up either. Has anyone ever had this happen, what did you feel, what did you do, and how long did it take to grow? Thank you my friends.....

lapushka
September 1st, 2018, 10:29 AM
The only thing that will help is... patience I'm afraid, and resist the urge to "fix" it, you will, *will* end up cutting it shorter and then there will be no end to it! Just let it grow in peace. That is the best option.

It happened... no one can undo it for you, I'm afraid. :(

I experience something like it on graduation from High School; I needed to be presentable and went in with almost BSL hair; came back out with an earlength bob with super short bangs. Yes, that happened! My mother was absolutely *shocked* beyond belief when she came and picked me up from the hairdresser. What happened was a "student" had layered up my hair in an 80s style which I asked her NOT to do, just cut some length off for me. She even layered up my bangs pretty badly, which is why I ended up with über short bangs. :( The manager "fixed" it, aka cut it even shorter for me.

So... don't go there!

Breezy
September 1st, 2018, 10:45 AM
The only thing that will help is... patience I'm afraid, and resist the urge to "fix" it, you will, *will* end up cutting it shorter and then there will be no end to it! Just let it grow in peace. That is the best option.

It happened... no one can undo it for you, I'm afraid. :(

I experience something like it on graduation from High School; I needed to be presentable and went in with almost BSL hair; came back out with an earlength bob with super short bangs. Yes, that happened! My mother was absolutely *shocked* beyond belief when she came and picked me up from the hairdresser. What happened was a "student" had layered up my hair in an 80s style which I asked her NOT to do, just cut some length off for me. She even layered up my bangs pretty badly, which is why I ended up with über short bangs. :( The manager "fixed" it, aka cut it even shorter for me.

So... don't go there!

thank you Lapushka, I know what you mean. I have felt like cutting it more, but will just let it alone. I appreciate your story too, wow.

TwilightMermaid
September 1st, 2018, 11:17 AM
Lapushka is right. Don't try to fix it, you will end up shorter. I did the exact same thing, except to myself, when I was younger. I cut it because I had damage but things got wonky and I ended up with a curly ear length blunt cut Bob. Not cute lol. Do let your emotions run there course because you will feel better in a few weeks compared to holding it in and hating your hair for the whole journey. It takes time. You just have to be patient and nourish your hair through this hard time Also, you can try different hairstyles to wear. When I went through my bad cut and could fully put it in a ponytail, I did different braids in the front and a ponytail in the back to switch up my updo. Don't worry because it will be hard but you'll be able to learn a lot from your hair as I did. And always remember, LHC is there for you😊

GreenFairy
September 1st, 2018, 11:24 AM
NEVER go to fantastic sams. I am a licensed cosmetologist and know for a fact the people who work there barely graduated beauty school. Yikes.

GreenFairy
September 1st, 2018, 11:33 AM
If you have to wear your hair back and you don’t like it make it up by doing other things. Make sure you wear jewelry or makeup or brighter colors near your face.

lapushka
September 1st, 2018, 02:12 PM
thank you Lapushka, I know what you mean. I have felt like cutting it more, but will just let it alone. I appreciate your story too, wow.

Yeah, it was quite the drama at the time. LOL. But, you live & learn. Right? :)

Lapushka is right. Don't try to fix it, you will end up shorter. I did the exact same thing, except to myself, when I was younger. I cut it because I had damage but things got wonky and I ended up with a curly ear length blunt cut Bob. Not cute lol. Do let your emotions run there course because you will feel better in a few weeks compared to holding it in and hating your hair for the whole journey. It takes time. You just have to be patient and nourish your hair through this hard time Also, you can try different hairstyles to wear. When I went through my bad cut and could fully put it in a ponytail, I did different braids in the front and a ponytail in the back to switch up my updo. Don't worry because it will be hard but you'll be able to learn a lot from your hair as I did. And always remember, LHC is there for you��

Yeah, fixing means "cutting more off". Always, especially with a layered cut. You could try and join the microtrimming thread if you slowly want to try and get rid of the layering. But I wouldn't chop it in one go.

NEVER go to fantastic sams. I am a licensed cosmetologist and know for a fact the people who work there barely graduated beauty school. Yikes.

Seriously? :shocked:

spidermom
September 1st, 2018, 04:04 PM
I have dealt with a bad haircut in the past by getting a different, shorter haircut that I liked more, and it was a good solution for me. I guess it all depends on your personality and how much you hate your hair now. Maybe you can, as already suggested, come up with a way to style it that will make it better for you. At any rate, hair grows, and you won't have this haircut for long.

wo
September 1st, 2018, 04:42 PM
Oh no, I'm so sorry this happened! I know how it feels because I had the exact same thing happen at a fantastic sams years ago! In 2014, I had shoulder length hair and I asked for some more layers. I didn't really care about length so I thought what could go wrong. The stylist layered it ALL over to the point that the shortest pieces were about 2-3 inches, but overall it was still shoulder length. So a shag/mullet. 😱 I actually got a pixie to fix it and start over and that's what I've grown out from. It was a very bad haircut lol

C_Bookworm
September 1st, 2018, 05:41 PM
I agree with everyone recommending patience. I’m going from layered to blunt myself, all told cutting off about 15 inches. Waiting until my hair was long enough to feel ‘long’ after a trim, and then only taking off a layer at a time has been really good. It hasn’t been quite as slow as microtrimming (my preference was 3 moderate chops), but it was the pace I needed to not feel traumatized as I removed layers.

cjk
September 1st, 2018, 05:54 PM
Experiment with styling the hair you have. That stylist might have messed up the hair you wanted, but options always exist.

And steer clear of chain places. It's not absolute but too many have bad experiences.

Jo Ann
September 1st, 2018, 08:03 PM

Seriously? :shocked:

Seriously. About 20 years ago, I went to a Fantastic Sam's. I had asked for a long gypsy shag and, after the consultation (because I wanted a '70's style hairstyle), we decided a long version of Farrah Fawcett-Majors' haircut (anyone remember "Charlie's Angels"?) would be just right. My hair length was between BSL and MBL.

I was expecting this, but keeping my most of my length: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/ba/Farrah_Fawcett_1977.JPG

What I got were shorter layers and a length that stopped just above my shoulders--and my natural waves/wurls/curls were NOT taken into consideration (can you say blow-fried and lacquered into submission?). After my usual "wash and wear" care and styling (or lack thereof--I preferred then, and still do, to WCC, LOC and go :p ), and about four months of growth, the style really started to look good on me.

spidermom
September 1st, 2018, 08:23 PM
Ah, the Farrah Fawcett cut. My hair loved it.

Breezy
September 1st, 2018, 11:15 PM
I have dealt with a bad haircut in the past by getting a different, shorter haircut that I liked more, and it was a good solution for me. I guess it all depends on your personality and how much you hate your hair now. Maybe you can, as already suggested, come up with a way to style it that will make it better for you. At any rate, hair grows, and you won't have this haircut for long.

Thanks Spidermom, I need to be reminded that my hair will grow, it just seems now it will take forever. But logically speaking in just 6 mos. it will be 3 inches longer all over. I think that alone will change the way I see it and I should be able to wear it down again. that's my hope any ways.

Breezy
September 1st, 2018, 11:19 PM
It must of taken awhile to grow out, wow how did you do it? how long did it take? Your hair is so gorgeous now. I feel like I'm starting over, cause I was soooo close to waist.

Lizabeth94
September 2nd, 2018, 08:47 AM
I'm so sorry this happened! I don't trust hair stylists at all. Too many bad experiences. I like haircuts I can do myself, one of my main motivations not to go back to the salon and get a pixie. shudder:

I would just let it grow! Cutting it short likely won't make you feel any better if long hair itself is what you like. Of course ultimately its your decision!

Jo Ann
September 2nd, 2018, 07:35 PM
It must of taken awhile to grow out, wow how did you do it? how long did it take? Your hair is so gorgeous now. I feel like I'm starting over, cause I was soooo close to waist.

It took me about three years to grow mine out. I was notorious for not cutting or trimming my hair for months at a time. I just let it grow and, about every 6-12 months, cut off a layer or two (depending on how bad my split ends were :shocked: )