PDA

View Full Version : Ways and tips for curly roots.

Margarita
August 31st, 2018, 08:14 AM
I've read that usually 3a hair have straight roots because its common but i doubt that, like i have already seen from 2b even to 3a curly hair with also curly roots. My straight roots cause my curly ends to be straight so i have to work it again so they can be curly and frizz-free. I do the 'squish to condish' method and when i get out of the shower after scrunching, my roots are kind of curly. After that, i apply mousse from top to bottom so it can curl better. Im afraid putting mousse on the roots enhance straightness and weight down. However, my ends curl good. I hate having straight roots, i dont know if my hair is growing straight or not, my current length is 14" and because of the curliness it shrinks above my shoulders. I think its also my nighttime's false hairstyle. Its pretty complicaed, i take snap-clips and make a "queue" all over the crown of my head. I could use a satin sleepcap but i cant find any, and im unable to order from online. Do you have any tips or advices to enhance curliness to the roots?:rolleyes::(
PS. I know many of you would recommend plopping but, im still NOT SURE if its gonna work.

lapushka
August 31st, 2018, 03:26 PM
I just saw your picture in the picture thread, that looks normal to me. Maybe it's a matter of accepting the way your hair naturally falls. Fighting it will be... a problem.

Margarita
September 1st, 2018, 02:04 AM
I just saw your picture in the picture thread, that looks normal to me. Maybe it's a matter of accepting the way your hair naturally falls. Fighting it will be... a problem.

In the photo, its freshly washed so my curls are way more defined even a tiny bit on the roots. It has nothing to do with fighting, im pretty sure its just "lost pattern" so i try finding ways to restore it. My hair changes as days pass, curls are getting looser, i see some frizz, no much volume so i have to wet my roots and srunch a bit. Im thinking not adding any mousse on the roots, i know its gives volume because i've try it several times in past but, i think it weight my hair down kind of. Im having indesicive thoughts about what to do with my nighttime hairstyle, as you read above, it complicated and it have caused split-ends on my hair because in general lines, my hair is down free when i sleep.

JennGalt
September 1st, 2018, 03:00 AM
I don’t have this issue (disclaimer!); I actually have too much volume at my roots, which is no fun either. But I have seen multiple curly-haired youtubers fluff their roots with either a pick or their fingers. Some do it more than once a day. Hope that helps!

ETA: Is there any way you can put your hair in a high ponytail or bun while it dries? Or diffuse while inverted? Either of those might help too.

Margarita
September 1st, 2018, 03:10 AM
I don’t have this issue (disclaimer!); I actually have too much volume at my roots, which is no fun either. But I have seen multiple curly-haired youtubers fluff their roots with either a pick or their fingers. Some do it more than once a day. Hope that helps!

ETA: Is there any way you can put your hair in a high ponytail or bun while it dries? Or diffuse while inverted? Either of those might help too.

Im afraid i cannot put my hair in a bun or high ponytail, my curls will straight and cause frizz.Its difficult to explain, i dont have strong curls as other girls have. I've seen that trick with clipping your roots, have you try it?

JennGalt
September 1st, 2018, 03:20 AM
Clipping your roots? That sounds like it involves scissors to me! My mom had my hair thinned as a child with the special thinning/layering scissors that have slots cut into the blades because a stylist told her it was good for curly hair... Pure bs. It gave me an afro, and I hated it. Maybe layers would help. Maybe not. But before ANYTHING involving scissors, I would try fluffing your hair at the roots with fingers several times a day. And give it time to see if it improves over time.

Perhaps this simply is your natural texture, as Lapushka stated. Hair doesn’t always do what we’d like it to. Mine is proof!

JennGalt
September 1st, 2018, 03:27 AM
Or did you mean twisting sections of your hair upward and then clipping them in place? That sounds like a good option to me. I haven’t tried it—as I said, I have more volume than I want. In theory, it should work just the same as a high pony or bun. But avoid the scissors if at all possible!

Margarita
September 1st, 2018, 04:02 AM
Or did you mean twisting sections of your hair upward and then clipping them in place? That sounds like a good option to me. I haven’t tried it—as I said, I have more volume than I want. In theory, it should work just the same as a high pony or bun. But avoid the scissors if at all possible!

I meant this https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curly-hair-type-3a/how-to-clip-at-the-roots-for-curly-hair-bi

I had layers when i was younger, my hair were a bit thinner back then. My mom is a hairstylist and she recommends layers to thicker hair so it can look thinner. I havent dyed or trim my hair 5 months now. I have split ends, i cut them sometimes before shower like, taking sections and checking where the heck split ends are appearing and *snap*. Ofcourse, i have to trim my hair, to get off the split ends but i dont want to. I feel like i will lose length even with micro-trimming and im afraid.
As for coloring my hair again, im thinking about dye 2 sections platinum white. Wouldnt be amazing? I dont mind bleaching only two small sections. But! dye from the crown to bottom, not roots.

lapushka
September 1st, 2018, 05:45 AM
In the photo, its freshly washed so my curls are way more defined even a tiny bit on the roots. It has nothing to do with fighting, im pretty sure its just "lost pattern" so i try finding ways to restore it. My hair changes as days pass, curls are getting looser, i see some frizz, no much volume so i have to wet my roots and srunch a bit. Im thinking not adding any mousse on the roots, i know its gives volume because i've try it several times in past but, i think it weight my hair down kind of. Im having indesicive thoughts about what to do with my nighttime hairstyle, as you read above, it complicated and it have caused split-ends on my hair because in general lines, my hair is down free when i sleep.

I know, I know, but that's "normal" for your curl pattern. Waves or curls *always* sag and hang beyond wash day. It's my experience too. You generally can't tighten your curl pattern or make yourself have curls at the roots when that's not supposed to be there, or you'd have to finger coil each curl and that is *work*.

Margarita
September 1st, 2018, 05:49 AM
I know, I know, but that's "normal" for your curl pattern. Waves or curls *always* sag and hang beyond wash day. It's my experience too. You generally can't tighten your curl pattern or make yourself have curls at the roots when that's not supposed to be there, or you'd have to finger coil each curl and that is *work*.

Im usually twirling some small sections where the curls have loosen. I can say it works though.

nycelle
September 1st, 2018, 08:04 AM
I keep hearing to use duck clips at the roots for added volume.

I myself use these small claw clips (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Revlon-Essentials-Tiny-Octopus-Clips-8-count/54408834?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=2547&adid=22222222227046675978&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=102434800937&wl4=pla-248306167937&wl5=9004927&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=54408834&wl13=2547&veh=sem) on damp hair
when I want extra root lift, or when my cowlick on my crown won't cooperate.

You can also add some gel for more hold.

Margarita
September 1st, 2018, 08:46 AM
I keep hearing to use duck clips at the roots for added volume.

I myself use these small claw clips (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Revlon-Essentials-Tiny-Octopus-Clips-8-count/54408834?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=2547&adid=22222222227046675978&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=102434800937&wl4=pla-248306167937&wl5=9004927&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=54408834&wl13=2547&veh=sem) on damp hair
when I want extra root lift, or when my cowlick on my crown won't cooperate.

You can also add some gel for more hold.

Oh, thats amazing nycelle! I will try it and update!

lapushka
September 1st, 2018, 08:52 AM
I do that too, but I also use claw clips instead of small duckbill clips. It is part of the CG routine. ;) It gives more volume at the root, but it won't magically give you curls where there aren't any. :shrug: I don't see how beyond just fingercoiling the whole head (which you said does work).

I'm afraid if this is a problem already, you will not like length to your hair, because length pulls at the curl and 9 times out of 10 (if you're not a 4) will loosen the pattern.

Margarita
September 1st, 2018, 09:03 AM
I do that too, but I also use claw clips instead of small duckbill clips. It is part of the CG routine. ;) It gives more volume at the root, but it won't magically give you curls where there aren't any. :shrug: I don't see how beyond just fingercoiling the whole head (which you said does work).

I'm afraid if this is a problem already, you will not like length to your hair, because length pulls at the curl and 9 times out of 10 (if you're not a 4) will loosen the pattern.

Well, im aware that my curls will get looser as my hair grow longer. But, you can curl long hair naturally in various ways so i have options for that.

lapushka
September 1st, 2018, 10:33 AM
Well, im aware that my curls will get looser as my hair grow longer. But, you can curl long hair naturally in various ways so i have options for that.

I'm glad you're aware of that. :flower:

You can always wet-set it with rollers if you like. That's an option. Just a few pieces up top to give the illusion perhaps? Or you'd have to just be able to do your crown area. Finger coiling is pretty neat though, especially if you're curly.