PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of Lice in 48 hours

Salwety
August 31st, 2018, 02:00 AM
Three days ago the nursery called me to give me the joyful news that my 2DS ( 5 &1 years) have lice and I should take them immediately, so as not to infect others. I was like shudder: Lice ??!!! It has to be lice!!!! I have never had it before, and I don't know what to do. So I searched older posts here on LHC, and other forums, and came up with a plan that made it possible to get rid of it in only two days. It requires some work, but it is effective and efficient.

1- First lice needs to be smothered out of the hair. I applied a mixture of olive oil, vinegar and conditioner, and kept it covered for a couple of hours. Then started to comb the hair using lice comp ( a very narrow cob can work too). This step takes a long time, and I put on their favourite cartoon videos to help them cooperate with me.

2- I used lice shampoo to wash their hair. It is drying and rough. So I applied my normal oil and conditioner leave in.

3- As my kids are boys and they were due for a hair cut, we did cut their hair. (It is not a necessary step but we did it anyway)

4- I followed these steps with a good hot combing with a blow drier. The heat from the blow dryer not only remove the lice and its eggs from the hair, it kills them too before hatching. So you will not have to deal with them again when the eggs stuck to the hair hatch. I know that hair dryers are damaging to the hair, but so is lice and it is disgusting and itchy too.

I also checked myself and DH, because after all we share the same house. And we were infected too but in an early stage. I followed the same steps on us.

After following these steps for two days, our hair is lice free. I will revisit this routine every 4 days for the next two weeks to make sure that we are not infected again.

Now it is time to start disinfecting the house: vacuum, steam and disinfect the furniture, carpets, mattresses, and pillows. And washing all the used or left around clothes, linen, and towels on high heat setting. And steam or iron those that can't be washed. As we are in summer I open all the windows to get the hot sun inside the house.

I hope that no one in my house get this nasty bug again. But if it happens I know how to deal with it in short time.

illicitlizard
August 31st, 2018, 03:50 AM
Oh gosh, glad you were able to get rid of them in a timely manner. This just reminded me of when I last ended up with lice in primary school *shudder* then my sister brought them home after we FINALLY got rid of the first bout. Those lice combs are so painful eugh. Honestly bless my mum's patience for combing through our hair, I would've just chopped it all off haha.

Salwety
September 1st, 2018, 01:48 AM
Thx illicitlizard. Yeah those combs are so painful especially that I have past waist length curly hair. I was so annoyed by the ripping off of the hair, but you have to do what you have to do.

CharleaMurphy
September 1st, 2018, 06:40 AM
I wish I’d known these tricks a couple of months ago. I got close with a girl I met at a party. Turned out she had head lice and passed them on to me 😩 I panicked and smothered my hip-length hair with this Hedrin stuff that was pretty much pure dimethicone. It worked thankfully and I don’t think I suffered any adverse effects *phew* but it would have been nice to try natural alternatives.

Getting lice as a 20-year old woman from another grown adult made me feel really embarrassed for some reason. I think looking at all the available products referring to kids constantly and all the reviews being from mums was a bit shame-enducing. Silly really because it could happen to anyone but just doesn’t seem to be talked about.

Salwety
September 1st, 2018, 07:33 AM
Head lice is an infection like any other infection, but I don't know why all the negative talk about it and the accompanied embarrassment. I was embarrassed and didn't tell anyone except those we were in direct contact with in the past week before realizing the issue.
But after all be thankful that you had a grown up to help you. I was the one to take care of the four of us, and the house which is a lot of work and arm power.

Kat
September 1st, 2018, 08:58 AM
I think the embarrassment comes not so much because it's only thought of as a "kids'" issue, but also because people tend to associate head lice with being "dirty," and no doubt they're probably also worried they could catch it. I have to admit that if a friend told me they had lice, I'd have the thoughts "when was I at their house/them at mine last???" and "how far away do I need to be from them?" (I'm not sure, can lice transfer from one person's clothing to another? I assume that, for example, hugging someone, even briefly, is a bad idea?)

littlestarface
September 1st, 2018, 10:29 AM
I think the embarrassment comes not so much because it's only thought of as a "kids'" issue, but also because people tend to associate head lice with being "dirty," and no doubt they're probably also worried they could catch it. I have to admit that if a friend told me they had lice, I'd have the thoughts "when was I at their house/them at mine last???" and "how far away do I need to be from them?" (I'm not sure, can lice transfer from one person's clothing to another? I assume that, for example, hugging someone, even briefly, is a bad idea?)

Yea if I knew someone had lice I wouldn't even stand by them and I would still check my hair everyday. Lice are terrifying and disgusting especially for someone with really long hair, I wouldn't wanna take any chance.

Estrid
September 1st, 2018, 12:15 PM
If it is regular head lice you do not have to be that thorough with disinfecting the house, head lice don't live very long without their host. I can understand if you want to wash hats and pillow cases, though.

I had head lice once when I was around 9 years old, most kids around here get it at some point, especially at this time of year when the school starts again. I can understand that it's gross and it's never fun, but it's nothing to panic over, compared to many other pests, they're rather harmless and easy to get rid off :p

EssleyBlue
September 1st, 2018, 04:27 PM
We recently had a lice scare after our houseguests left and then realized they had lice. My neighbor lent us an electric comb. You turn it on and it gives off a high pitch sound to let you know it's electrified. We combed everyone's hair a few times. Turns out we didn't get head lice, but it was nice to know that there was something out there that was non-chemical and can zap the lice and eggs.

Salwety
September 1st, 2018, 10:36 PM
We recently had a lice scare after our houseguests left and then realized they had lice. My neighbor lent us an electric comb. You turn it on and it gives off a high pitch sound to let you know it's electrified. We combed everyone's hair a few times. Turns out we didn't get head lice, but it was nice to know that there was something out there that was non-chemical and can zap the lice and eggs.

Yes it is nice and from users reviews it is effective. Also the metal twisted comb would have been better than the cheap plastic one. But this is the only thing I found available in the pharmacy. Others would take 3 to 5 days to be shipped.

ShirleyAnn
September 2nd, 2018, 04:15 PM
It would be helpful while you have school age kids to use a shampoo that has tree oil in it. I t made my life easier when my kids were in school.

Salwety
September 4th, 2018, 10:14 PM
ShirleyAnn ... thank you for the advice. I will take definitely, especially that I still have many school years to come.