PDA

View Full Version : Guys limited style options?

david
August 30th, 2018, 04:39 PM
Hey all.
I havent posted in ages. But I was having a conversation with someone today and they were saying that men shouldnt wear certain styles. For example high ponytails and accesories are strange and we should stick to low ponytails.

So just wondering if this is still a thing or if anyone else has experienced it.

Now I am not the most typical guy and I mess around and do what I want. But just thought it would be an intetesting talking point.

cjk
August 30th, 2018, 04:45 PM
Wear what makes you comfortable.

A week ago I had a woman comment that she had seen the man bun before, but never a man French twist.

I responded that it was because I had better than average taste.

Do what makes you comfortable. Nobody will care about it as much as you, and you'll always be your own worst critic.

Your friend or co-worker was approaching it from a position of weakness, with a lack of self confidence.

browneyedsusan
August 30th, 2018, 06:13 PM
I totally think you should wear your hair how you want, but be aware that people get social cues from your appearance. I really like Viking styles for men or braids. It depends on the social norms where you are though. :)

EdG
August 30th, 2018, 06:34 PM
I think that men should not have to wear short hair styles. ;)

We are already far enough out of the mainstream that hair styles and hair toys don't make much difference. Wear what you like.
Ed

TwilightMermaid
August 30th, 2018, 06:42 PM
I agree with browneyedsusan a lot won't judge if you do "feminine" hairstyles, but some will. I do think some hair toys can be a little girly, especially if they have some sort of charm on the end, like a butterfly. Honestly, I wouldn't care if I saw some guy with some super intricate side braid because I'd be too busy being intrigued and admiring it. Because it's very uncommon to see a man with anything more than a bun or ponytail, I'd compliment them.

cjk
August 30th, 2018, 07:26 PM
That's a good point. A dangling neon unicorn charm hanging from a pink lace headband might be appropriate at Pride, but not in the boardroom. I tend to wear a lot of hair toys, but mine are kept linear, almost architectural, and simple.

That doesn't mean I can't be a bit cheeky though.

Heck, my favorite hair stick is a galvanized nail from Home Depot! Second favorite is made from polished black horn. My favorite fork (gotten from RAOK, thank you again!) is simple wood. And my favorite french combs are black and tortoiseshell 7-toothed combs without any fru-fru rhinestones on them.

I regularly braid, bun, and wear half up and full ponytails. But I keep it simple and intentional.

Wear whatever you like. Just be aware that, like clothing fashions, it will communicate stuff to others. Make sure that you're saying the right things.

illicitlizard
August 30th, 2018, 08:06 PM
I think there is a bit of a stereotype around how men can wear long hair (at least where I am) and that they should stick to more 'manly' styles where it's either down, or in a low pony, or a 'man-bun'. But it's a load of twaddle. If you feel like experimenting with different hairstyles why the heck not! I've often thought it was a shame that men with longer hair never tended to do anything fun to it. I think it'd be great if dudes generally weren't too afraid of looking 'girly' to do what they want with their appearance.
In more direct answer I'd say no, men shouldn't not wear certain styles. Wear whatever you want :)

trolleypup
August 30th, 2018, 11:43 PM
I will note that when I was wearing a lot of sparkly hairtoys, I got positive comments from attractive young people, and negative ones from bitter older unattractive ones. Draw whatever conclusion you want from that.

Now my hair is longer, and I generally use a aluminum gutter spike for my hair stick, I just get less comments, but still the negatives come from people I don't want to spend any energy on noticing.

Hexen
August 31st, 2018, 03:00 AM
Ya Know, hailing from a region where the temp frequently nears, and even surpasses the century mark, I have often times found significant comfort and relief in twisting the ol mop into a high bun. The point being to expose my neck. I may typically wear a lower ponytail though, but thats really only because I have this hangup about stretching my hair too tight and therefor facilitating a recession of the hairline. Which from what ive heard is essentially a myth. I would venture to say though that there might be a number of variables that could influence the way a male in particular wears his hair. I myself occasionlly wear "Indian" side braids. But since I AM part Indian I guess I look enough like it to draw no undue attention. Ironically, though from what I gather, lengthy hair on men in antiquity has been not only a symbol of strength (of body, and or mind) but in some ways status as well. Royal and well to do men even used to wear wigs of lengthy valor. But if it feels good to you then do it. And be proud that you have the hair to do it with. There are few things in ones life that take the time to achieve that hair of an exeptional length does. So when I see long hair on a man, I see a form of discipline, rather than deviance. I say wear it, and share it, with all that happen to see it.
:thumbsup:https://image.ibb.co/keEbxp/hair.gif

lapushka
August 31st, 2018, 04:30 AM
I tend to like this YT channel for good Viking ideas: "silvousplaits". She has also come out with a book, in the last couple of months, I think. According to torrinpaige it has clear instructions on how to do the styles.

Todd
August 31st, 2018, 06:38 AM
Hey all.
For example high ponytails and accesories are strange and we should stick to low ponytails.

LOL I've tried high ponytails but I find they hurt! I don't know what the trick is to them, so I stick to low ones.

njrb
September 10th, 2018, 02:12 PM
Hey all.
I havent posted in ages. But I was having a conversation with someone today and they were saying that men shouldnt wear certain styles. For example high ponytails and accesories are strange and we should stick to low ponytails.

So just wondering if this is still a thing or if anyone else has experienced it.

Now I am not the most typical guy and I mess around and do what I want. But just thought it would be an intetesting talking point.

In my experience I think it is less of a thing than it was a few years ago but it still is out there. I started wearing a "higher" ponytail this summer after a chop and got a number of comments about it (mostly critical). I also get comments when I wear a barrette, but those are both positive and negative. Ironically people didn't comment on my various buns before I cut it shorter. Basic braids don't seem to illicit any comments generally speaking either.

Obsidian
September 10th, 2018, 05:12 PM
I think it also has a lot do do with location. Where I live men wear low ponytails or braids, anything else is considered too feminine and could lead to bullying or worse.

iforgotmylogin
September 11th, 2018, 02:01 AM
I'm a dude and I rock a pony at about 10:30 clock position all the time. At the moment I can't do a low ponytail and have it all contained due to layering

https://i.imgur.com/7nlkn3m.jpg

DaughterOfDawn
September 12th, 2018, 05:17 PM
I think simple leather slides are nice, manly accessories, and much less damaging than elastics! I personally think wider slides with shorter sticks offer the most masculine look, but YMMV!

Starchild494
September 13th, 2018, 10:20 AM
I wish men would do more with their hair than just ponytails and buns! When I do see styles other than those I'm amazed and and before I could compliment them, they have passed...

Men.... Be proud and wear your hair however you want!

redhed515
September 13th, 2018, 02:50 PM
Unfortunately, I agree that many people will pass judgment if you wear buns or hair accessories, but do what makes you happy! Personally, I think a long braid on a man is very attractive.

M3DUS4
November 1st, 2018, 03:49 PM
I think that sleek buns on men are a revelation

what kind of bun am I referring to? you decide

seriously though, there is no actual reason a guy shouldn't wear a hairstick or some twists. Or even something more elaborate. If you've got long hair, you ought to be allowed to have a little fun with it, and anyone who wants to restrict that fun because it's not to their personal taste/ it is culturally associated with the opposite gender's aesthetic is a big old meaner

blesseddamozel
November 1st, 2018, 10:23 PM
I'm echoing what a lot of people had already said but I think it all depends on how comfortable you are with getting attention in public. It is the norm for men to wear more simple styles, but that shouldn't be a limit if you want to do something more elaborate or wear something fancy :) People will probably look or maybe make comments because it's not something common but if that doesn't bother you, go for it! Personally I think men look really good in half-ups and complicated braided looks

illicitlizard
November 4th, 2018, 08:10 PM
I'm echoing what a lot of people had already said but I think it all depends on how comfortable you are with getting attention in public. It is the norm for men to wear more simple styles, but that shouldn't be a limit if you want to do something more elaborate or wear something fancy :) People will probably look or maybe make comments because it's not something common but if that doesn't bother you, go for it! Personally I think men look really good in half-ups and complicated braided looks

Completely agree, especially on the braided looks and half ups. Makes dudes look so darn regal and put together gawd yes.

cjk
November 4th, 2018, 11:15 PM

I actually agree but with one caveat. It has to look "right" on you.

The highest praise I can give someone, typically, is that I didn't even notice...some feature. In this discussion that would be hairstyle. It's so proper that it looks like it belongs there and doesn't draw a lot of attention.

Jason Momoa with his long dredlocks should be a standout, but on HIM they'r just part of his look. And they look so fitting that it's not the dreds that you notice.