PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or do high ponytails look attractive on most women?

Sweetalexandria
August 30th, 2018, 04:13 PM
I have noticed that most women, when they put their hair up in a high ponytail and have a soft stray hairs to frame their face, it looks really attractive and feminine.

It feels like a high ponytail changes a person's facial features.

Shorty89
August 30th, 2018, 05:13 PM
I think it can look really good but high ponytails hurt my scalp!

Milkchocolate
August 30th, 2018, 05:41 PM
It is a pretty and regal look for every age and ethnicity :)

Chromis
August 30th, 2018, 06:47 PM
They look too childish on me and hurt my scalp. More power to those who rock them, but not a good look for me!

Obsidian
August 30th, 2018, 07:20 PM
I'm not real fond of them on me or others. I only wear them when my hair is too short to make a lower one.

illicitlizard
August 30th, 2018, 08:08 PM
Completely agree, high ponytails and face framing wispy bits are always gorgeous IMO.

Simsy
August 30th, 2018, 09:44 PM
It has always struck me as a fairly fussy hairstyle; or just messy, like there was zero care put in. Braided ponys are gorgeous though, so opinions will differ.

illicitlizard
August 30th, 2018, 09:52 PM
It has always struck me as a fairly fussy hairstyle; or just messy, like there was zero care put in. Braided ponys are gorgeous though, so opinions will differ.

I kinda agree with that, though I tend to prefer messy look hairstyles. I always associate super clean looking braids etc. with ballet from when I was a kid lol

nycelle
August 31st, 2018, 07:12 AM
For me it depends on the length. I think it looks great on those with hair up to APL. Longer than that I think it looks best on children.

RavennaNight
August 31st, 2018, 08:45 AM
I like high ponytails when they’re sleek and well maintained. I actually dislike the messy look of flyaways, and like it to look polished. However, they are horrendously painful to wear! High ponytail always hurts my scalp, so I do it very rarely.

Sarahlabyrinth
August 31st, 2018, 09:30 AM
I love the look of them but my hair is too heavy to be able to wear them for more than a few minutes at a time.

spidermom
August 31st, 2018, 10:04 AM
I'm not a fan in general, although I've seen high ponytails look good on certain people.

Stray_mind
August 31st, 2018, 11:09 AM
I like a high ponytail on myself. I think it makes my face look longer and nicer. However, i don't wear them often, because of the risk of hair thinning from the tension at the roots.

GrowlingCupcake
August 31st, 2018, 11:50 AM
I think high pony tails help because it's a way to see the hair while still being pulled back. Bonus if there are face framing layers.

But on me, it doesn't look very good. I have a) flyaways, b) frizz, and most of all c) this stupid cowlick kind of thing that insists on giving me scalp cleavage. I'll wear them for stuff like exercise but there's no way it'll be sleek, and nice without a ton of product I don't use.

Edit: I also have a similar cowlick type issue in the back. So if I can make the front alright, the back looks a right mess. When I work on the back, the front cowlick messes up. The back also always ends up poofing out.

I really need to work on techniques.

Crna Kosa
August 31st, 2018, 01:31 PM
I really love the look of high pony tail , but it ruined my hair and hairline. I used to tie my hair everyday and was wondering why it isn't growing. I really love how it looks but it is not very good for my hair so I'm trying to stay away from it .

Singing Skies
August 31st, 2018, 02:03 PM
I actually like high ponytails on people with pretty long hair, usually BSL or longer. I don't know why but I think it looks really nice.

Sweetalexandria
August 31st, 2018, 02:34 PM
I think a high ponytail with face framing layers is a cute and girly look. I do think it looks great with BSL hair. I feel like it makes me face thinner and smaller, it looks more youthful I find too.

lapushka
August 31st, 2018, 04:08 PM
I look like a teen with a high ponytail - nope. Not a good look when you're 46. Plus it just doesn't suit my face, and I am at a length where all it would give me is tangles.

softheartedandl
August 31st, 2018, 07:09 PM
I think my hair itself looks nice in a high ponytail... however my face is another story. I have rather chubby cheeks and a resting "sad/mad" face (pouty lips, downturned eyes, heavy brow, extremely hooded eyelids. i've been told that I look like an anime character :laugh: ) that can only be described as "heavy". I feel very self-conscious with my hair pulled all the way away from my face in a bun or a pony because of my face because that tends to...intensify my features? It makes my face look a heck of a lot heavier, and in my opinion, manly. I guess that's the best way to describe it. For me, I think low, loose ponytails look a lot better.

I think high ponytails are gorgeous on other women, especially when they're kind of messy and natural looking. And with a ribbon tying it all together!

I cringe when I see the super high, super tight and slicked back pony. It just can't be comfortable and the amount of hair loss from those ponys gives me sincere anxiety. I get headaches just from looking at them.

windflowers_mel
August 31st, 2018, 08:18 PM
I feel like with me under the ponytail in the back of the head it bulges a lot and doesn’t look good. They also give me headaches.

Dark40
August 31st, 2018, 08:37 PM
I also think they look attractive on most women too! I love wearing high ponytails! They don't bother me at all. :)

Kat
September 1st, 2018, 09:16 AM
I like them, but I can't wear them. Just a plain ponytail is sagging by the time I get the elastic in (if the elastic is tight enough to actually hold the hair, it's too tight to get the hair through) and that looks really awful (at least on me). I can do a high ponytail if I anchor it with a bun-- do one wrap with a bun, pull the rest of the hair through the middle, pin the bun-- but then the only part doing a ponytail is the ends of my hair, which are thinner, and it just doesn't look nice. I think my hair would have to be significantly shorter for me to pull it off.

As far as face-framing wispies... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I don't get cute pretty wispies... my hair shreds out into nasty-looking scragglies just from ten minutes of sitting still, no matter what style my hair is in. Gross.

Sweetalexandria
September 1st, 2018, 11:19 AM
My hair is too long and thick for a high ponytail, I feel like I have to cut it to look better.

I don't look the best with my hair down, I don't have a delicate jaw or small face exactly so whenever I wear my hair in a ponytail, I feel I look better.

Chromis
September 1st, 2018, 09:16 PM
My hair is too long and thick for a high ponytail, I feel like I have to cut it to look better.

I don't look the best with my hair down, I don't have a delicate jaw or small face exactly so whenever I wear my hair in a ponytail, I feel I look better.

Why not do updos instead? A high ponytail doesn't seem like a good style for a hospital anyhow, eek!

I can't wear a high bun, but you might try that if you just like a more upswept style, or one that has a French braid base, like the modified Ellingwoman.

Aredhel
September 1st, 2018, 10:58 PM
High ponytails don't suit me and my hair type at all. Mid-level ponytails are the most flattering on me. :)

restless
September 2nd, 2018, 08:57 AM
I like them! I often wear my hair in a high (slightly messy, due to my hair type) ponytail and I think that in general, most people -men and women- look real good in them.

Hairkay
September 3rd, 2018, 01:27 AM
I rarely put my hair that high. I tend to go for the medium pony puff look or plaited/braided look. The wispies won't be face framing at all, they,ll do their best to stick out giving a halo effect. I'm not one for using gel so it's best for me to use accent plaits/braid at the front of my hair to keep the wispies organised.

YvetteVarie
September 4th, 2018, 05:07 AM
I do a high bun most of the time, especially when I have a lot of new growth. Hairkay, thanks for reminding me about accent braids/plaits, I think I will start doing those so I can do lower buns with less of a halo

cathair
September 4th, 2018, 08:17 AM
I love 'em. My hair doesn't look too bad thickness-wise in one either. Shame to get one to stay high on my head I have to secure it so tightly I suspect it's really damaging. So I don't. Tangles are insane at this length even after a few minutes too.

Natalia_A00
September 4th, 2018, 08:14 PM
I honestly don't like them very much. Specially on myself. I mean, I don't like any type of ponytail, but I think high ponytails are the nicest ones. I think braids are much more attractive.

Ligeia Noire
September 5th, 2018, 08:15 PM
I adore high ponies, love to see them and loved to wear them, not anymore, snif snif...

Pumpkin3826
September 6th, 2018, 01:30 PM
I was just noticing how nice a plain ol' pony tail looks so nice. If only my pony tail would not sag from weight and would not give me a killer headache... That is one thing I miss about short hair is how cute and perky my pony tail was. :taz:

Alibran
September 7th, 2018, 06:32 AM
They can look attractive on me, as long as my hair is behaving. A head-sized ball of frizz above and behind my head doesn't look attractive at all.

Hairkay
September 7th, 2018, 06:37 AM
I do a high bun most of the time, especially when I have a lot of new growth. Hairkay, thanks for reminding me about accent braids/plaits, I think I will start doing those so I can do lower buns with less of a halo
You're welcome.

They can look attractive on me, as long as my hair is behaving. A head-sized ball of frizz above and behind my head doesn't look attractive at all.

It sounds like you get the halo effect too.

illicitlizard
September 8th, 2018, 01:20 AM
To add to this some more, high pony tails are also great because you can swing them as you walk. That swish is the best.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 8th, 2018, 01:32 AM
To add to this some more, high pony tails are also great because you can swing them as you walk. That swish is the best.

LOL. If I did that with mine, it would probably go out shoplifting.... It grabs everything in sight....

Aerya
September 8th, 2018, 02:59 AM
I used to wear high ponytails every day for probably two years straight a while ago. I remember the one day I didn't; I was at work and got such a terrible 'hair ache' I had to let it down. My male coworker, being used to seeing me with my trademark ponytail, couldn't put his finger on what had suddenly changed! He stared at me in utter confusion for about a minute before slowly asking if I had "gotten a haircut or something."

I still love a good high ponytail but I'm a bit more careful about wearing it too often and too tightly. At collarbone length, mine is a bit too short for my liking as well. I adore it when the length is between APL and BSL though - it's just right for a nice, swishy tail without being too long and heavy! And I agree that it looks good on most people - it brings out the facial features very nicely while still displaying some length. It's playful while still being elegant.

moonshroomm
September 8th, 2018, 07:20 AM

You can say that again. That's something I miss a lot about having long hair; the swish makes me feel powerful.

Frankenstein
September 8th, 2018, 08:00 AM
I like wearing high ponytails but they hurt my scalp so I don’t do it as often as I’d like. I think low ponytails look unflattering on me.

Chromis
September 8th, 2018, 03:38 PM
In my world, swish is the sound of tangles. So many tangles. I am not sure how other people can wear this style without a matted tangled mess at the end of the day. Like I have seen it done, but I am fairly sure their is magic involved. Wizards, the lot of you.

iforgotmylogin
September 10th, 2018, 09:20 AM
I think they look rad

How high are we talking though?

https://i.imgur.com/7nlkn3m.jpg

(labels by darren, your idea of high may not match, hence the clock positions)

cathair
September 10th, 2018, 11:10 AM
Hahaha, I love the diagram :lol:

I used to like an 11 o'clock. Alas tangle city now

I think when I used to wear them is happily rip a brush through it three times a day. I think perhaps it's that + length that does it Chromis?

Chromis
September 10th, 2018, 11:27 AM
Hahaha, I love the diagram :lol:

I used to like an 11 o'clock. Alas tangle city now

I think when I used to wear them is happily rip a brush through it three times a day. I think perhaps it's that + length that does it Chromis?

The last time I tried wearing one was probably around BSL, and I was still ripping a brush through around then. I used to have a lot of trouble getting them actually sleek on the scalp as well, so it was scalp cleavage and snarl city for me. I have never liked brushing my hair out multiple times a day, I was always pony and forget it before LCH. Now I am bun and forget it instead :lol:

I'm not sure how many times a day I'd have need to brush though, because seriously I'd have a snarled mess on my hands after like ten minutes! Brushing on the hour, every hour? Ugh. I hated my ponytail getting into everything too. That is something where the vision sounds better than the reality in my world.

Wizards. Wizards in ponytails.

DaughterOfDawn
September 12th, 2018, 03:30 PM
Such an interesting question!
An "11 o'clock" ponytail was my absolute favorite go-to style! It balanced elegance perfectly with my active lifestyle, and made my face look even more elf-like than usual! Alas, I have invisi-fine hair so it only took a few years of this style (wore it 3-4 days a week) before my hair was all broken off and damaged... Due to this, I now do not use any type of elastics at all... I think "bummer".. until I feel my hair and remind myself that it is currently thicker than it's ever been in my life because it isn't breaking!
As for the question "Do they look attractive on most women?"
I, personally, would say "yes" but that is because the majority of women where I live are tall, not overweight, with sharp features. These are the type of folks I, personally, think look best with high ponytails. So it kind of depends on what "most women" means to you/based on where you live!

ArabellaRose
September 13th, 2018, 06:09 AM
Unfortunately this is not a good look for me, or any sort of up do!

Milady_DeWinter
September 13th, 2018, 06:58 AM
I do not like ponies on me, low or high, and never ever wears them. I think that it depends on people's features...

nikittyy
September 21st, 2018, 03:37 PM
I think they look good on most girls but I have a weird hairline and it makes me self conscious, lol.

MemeAimee
October 5th, 2018, 11:32 PM
I love a high pony on any one! I look horrible in a mid or low pony, but cute in a high pony!

EmeraldSkies
October 6th, 2018, 03:02 AM
Well high ponytail do looks good but gives me a headache! I can only wear a low ponytail.