PDA

View Full Version : Low buns ?

lakhesis
August 30th, 2018, 01:05 PM
A confession: I just look really ugly with all my hair up. I need hair to cover my ears and at least some hair around my face to not feel like I look like a man lol.

With braids it is okay, with the buns - eh. I usually wear a nautilus bun not too high and before putting the stick in, I loosen up some hair and pull some hair around my face.
But recently, I feel like it just looks too messy.

So I’ve been experimenting with buns that sit much lower, like closer to your neck, but I really can’t find a good solution. If I put nautilus bun that low, I will most likely stab myself with a stick (it always ends up being vertical) and I can’t get LWB to hold long enough - I guess my hair is too slippery for that one.

Any suggestions please? :) Bonus points if the bun is done with a stick, as I got some already and would like to use them. Thanks in advance :o

Red.
August 30th, 2018, 01:25 PM
Would a Chinese bun work? You can position it wherever on your head and won’t get stabbed because the stick is horizontal.

neko_kawaii
August 30th, 2018, 01:28 PM
Most everything with a stick can be done with the stick horizontal and secured at nape. My favorite is Spidermom's bun.

Ylva
August 30th, 2018, 02:14 PM
I do mine like this - using a bun maker "tool", because I'm useless with anything more complicated than a ponytail.

https://image.ibb.co/dGSx3U/bunnnn.jpg

lapushka
August 30th, 2018, 02:38 PM
Most everything with a stick can be done with the stick horizontal and secured at nape. My favorite is Spidermom's bun.

I agree with that; if the stick travels, try doing a different bun. Have you ever tried a LWB (lazy wrap bun)? For me it's more secure and easier than a nautilus (which is still loose at my length).

Cg
August 30th, 2018, 03:01 PM
I always found spidermom's the best for nape buns. Your hair type is similar to mine so it should work.

MusicalSpoons
August 30th, 2018, 03:20 PM
I love a Neoma Knot for a low bun that holds, e.g. for scalp washing. I don't know how much length one needs for it though. The instructions show it vertical, but it works really well horizontally too - it was actually my go-to bun before I finally worked out how to do a stable LWB or nautilus, and works better with a stick than a fork, for me. https://imgur.com/a/70kZU

ETA: Oh hey, neko_kawaii has made a video of it which I'd totally forgotten about! https://youtu.be/Y9W-qAKY_1I

leayellena
August 31st, 2018, 02:01 AM
I can only do the nautilus, the lwb or the figure 8 bun at the nape. I have a short neck so.... but my bun is growing bigger as my hair is growing longer and my thin ends begin to thicken thx to microtrims

lakhesis
August 31st, 2018, 02:13 AM
Thank you all so much for answers !! :) I am going to have a session with youtube and try everything out

And Ylva, that's a great idea and it looks really pretty on you :) I might have that old school velvet bun maker somewhere, I will try to find it

VersLaLumière
September 3rd, 2018, 01:04 AM
I usually find it most comfortable to use two claw clips for low buns. Sticks can get pushed around, and ficcare doesn’t seem to work as well either in that position.

AutobotsAttack
September 3rd, 2018, 01:12 AM
A confession: I just look really ugly with all my hair up. I need hair to cover my ears and at least some hair around my face to not feel like I look like a man lol.

With braids it is okay, with the buns - eh. I usually wear a nautilus bun not too high and before putting the stick in, I loosen up some hair and pull some hair around my face.
But recently, I feel like it just looks too messy.

So I’ve been experimenting with buns that sit much lower, like closer to your neck, but I really can’t find a good solution. If I put nautilus bun that low, I will most likely stab myself with a stick (it always ends up being vertical) and I can’t get LWB to hold long enough - I guess my hair is too slippery for that one.

Any suggestions please? :) Bonus points if the bun is done with a stick, as I got some already and would like to use them. Thanks in advance :o

Everything that’s been said is fairly good info, but I just wanna say this:

Don’t say those things about yourself. Please? I’m sure you’re absolutely beautiful and your ears are lovely just as they are. There’s too many beautiful women who put themselves down. I just wanna spread some love and let you know you’re perfect as you are, regardless of whatever flaws you think you possess.

That is all.

lakhesis
September 3rd, 2018, 03:13 AM
Everything that’s been said is fairly good info, but I just wanna say this:

Don’t say those things about yourself. Please? I’m sure you’re absolutely beautiful and your ears are lovely just as they are. There’s too many beautiful women who put themselves down. I just wanna spread some love and let you know you’re perfect as you are, regardless of whatever flaws you think you possess.

That is all.

aww, that's sweet :flower: And you're right, I should have just wrote I prefer some hair around my face

Henrietta
September 3rd, 2018, 06:13 AM
Someone has made a tutorial for softening any bun but I can't find it now... Here is my description, then: Gather some hair from the front/top, as if you wanted to to a half-up. Gather the hair into a small ponytail, you may or may not tie it with an elastic, push it up a bit so that it gives you some softness around your face, then clip the ponytail to the back of your head with a tiny claw-clip or with bobby pins (x-pattern). You may adjust the "softening" hair by pulling it our of the ponytail a little bit more here and there. Then you may gather all the hair together and make your usual bun. It's easy to cover the claw clip/bobby pins with the bun.

Alex Lou
September 3rd, 2018, 08:00 AM
I'm sure all this stuff is in your head. Because it is for so many women. I used to feel the same but now I realize I look great and like myself with all my hair back.

Anyway, my go-to low bun is now the nautilus secured with 1 spin pin.

lakhesis
September 3rd, 2018, 08:26 AM
I'm sure all this stuff is in your head. Because it is for so many women. I used to feel the same but now I realize I look great and like myself with all my hair back.

Anyway, my go-to low bun is now the nautilus secured with 1 spin pin.

Thanks, just trying it out, but where exactly do you put the spin pin please? like instead of the hair stick (inside the bun) or on the side? :)

This makes me happy because I really like nautilus bun and I have a pack of pretty rose gold spin pins I've never used

Alex Lou
September 3rd, 2018, 03:59 PM
Thanks, just trying it out, but where exactly do you put the spin pin please? like instead of the hair stick (inside the bun) or on the side? :)

This makes me happy because I really like nautilus bun and I have a pack of pretty rose gold spin pins I've never used

I start at the bottom of the bun where one side of the loop overlaps the other and spin the pin up vertically.

It stays all day unless I lay down or something. But disclaimer: I seem to have better luck getting buns to stay with spin pins than other people. It may be my technique or my hair, or both. My buns do have some self-hold ability, like a few hours, before I put the pin in.

g_lou
September 3rd, 2018, 04:29 PM
French or dutch braiding the top of the hair before bunning seems to soften it around the face, I find, and stop the bun being tight around the hairline. It can be easier to loosen or pull out some baby hair to frame your face with the braid, and gives a little more volume in the top.
Braiding like this also makes it easier to keep your bun at the nape of your neck and its not necessary to braid the lengths as well.

TheCurlyMermaid
September 3rd, 2018, 08:28 PM
I usually find it most comfortable to use two claw clips for low buns. Sticks can get pushed around, and ficcare doesn’t seem to work as well either in that position.

This is what I do. Works great! Feels very secure and no need for bobby pins.

TreesOfEternity
September 4th, 2018, 07:35 AM
My go-to bun is a really low nautilus as well :) I use two claw clips or if I’m going out and want to look a little more fancy I’ll do an accent braid above my forehead (softens the look and makes it more femenine in my opinion) and secure the bun with a flexi8 or a short stick. I tend to do the bun quite tight so the stick doesn’t go vertical and it stays for hours.

nikittyy
September 21st, 2018, 04:05 PM
I like the low style buns that the Kardashians do. Kim often has a sleek low bun and it looks so good on her!

spidermom
September 21st, 2018, 04:15 PM
I love the way a nape bun looks on me, but - alas! - I can barely tolerate the way it feels pressing against the top of my neck, shorter fly-aways tickling my neck and making it itch. (I get twitchy just thinking about it.)

Arciela
September 21st, 2018, 05:16 PM
maybe a low braided bun would work? Personally I can't stand hair against my neck and I love the way it feels and looks when its very high on top of my head :)

Frankenstein
September 21st, 2018, 09:52 PM
L infinity bun is a good one to wear lower on your head. :)