PDA

View Full Version : Spiral curling irons

Bubblebeam
August 29th, 2018, 12:50 PM
I'm borrowing a friends spiral curling iron and seem to be having a problem nobody else (going by reviews) seems to. That is, the ends of my hair sections don't fit entirely under the holding clip. Considering my hair is very fine/thin I'm confused how this is only happening to me? I AM being sure to take very small sections but it's still an issue. What hair does get clipped curls nicely so it's disappointing that it's probably not for me.

I was planning to get a wand all along, not a spiral curler, so maybe I'll have better luck with that. But I'm still wondering, am I doing something wrong? Is it more common than it appears to have this problem?

Groovy Granny
August 29th, 2018, 01:05 PM
IF you treasure your FINE/THIN hair....GIVE IT BACK AND DO NOT BUY ANY TYPE :tmi:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=curling+iron+disasters

Try HEATLESS CURLS
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=heatless+curls

You can search LHC for HEATLESS CURLS threads also

IMHO :shrug:

Bubblebeam
August 29th, 2018, 01:15 PM
Lol was waiting for that. I've tried almost all heatless methods and none hold their curl very long. Heat is about the only thing my stubborn hair reacts well to.

Groovy Granny
August 29th, 2018, 01:19 PM
Lol was waiting for that. I've tried almost all heatless methods and none hold their curl very long. Heat is about the only thing my stubborn hair reacts well to.

Sorry....I couldn't help myself :flower: :lol:

Now that my hair is so fine and wispy I tossed out the Conair hot air curling brush I had 5 years ago, and my irons went out 10+ years ago :p

There must be some sort of setting gel or lotion etc you can use? :hmm:

Do they still make DIPPETY DOO?
I am aging myself now :rollin:

Good luck :thumbsup:

lakhesis
August 29th, 2018, 01:37 PM
I completely agree with Groovy Granny :)

My hair doesn't really hold curls - and not much better with heat either. I used to do very tight curls in the morning so in the evening I had at least some wave in my hair.

for heatless curls - try to either dilute conditioner with water to dampen your hair or just use good amount of leave in conditioner before putting in the curlers (or what you decide to use). Ideally leave in overnight. At least for me, this way it holds much better.

If you decide to use heat, I recommend getting the ''glove'' for curling your hair and don't use the clip, just keep it open and hold your hair with the hand with the glove on. At least that's what I was doing for a long long time because I didn't want to buy the wand when I already had the curling iron.

akurah
August 29th, 2018, 01:47 PM
Are you using product to actually hold the curls in place? Unless your hair is already predisposed to curls or waves you’re going to need something, typically hairspray, to keep it from falling out.

lapushka
August 29th, 2018, 03:02 PM
I'm borrowing a friends spiral curling iron and seem to be having a problem nobody else (going by reviews) seems to. That is, the ends of my hair sections don't fit entirely under the holding clip. Considering my hair is very fine/thin I'm confused how this is only happening to me? I AM being sure to take very small sections but it's still an issue. What hair does get clipped curls nicely so it's disappointing that it's probably not for me.

I was planning to get a wand all along, not a spiral curler, so maybe I'll have better luck with that. But I'm still wondering, am I doing something wrong? Is it more common than it appears to have this problem?

I would not use the "holding clip", but just use it as a wand - you can do that with these irons, I think. I'm sorry, I don't know that much about these things, but I still think this is possible; you'd have to look it up online. I'm sure there's YT videos on it.

Agree with akurah: hairspray can do a lot as far as hold goes, especially if you're 1 (straight haired), which we don't know.

illicitlizard
September 1st, 2018, 01:03 AM
So bizarre, I've never even seen a spiral curling wand before. Can't help with the methodology there but I feel you on the short lasting curls thing, heatless methods don't really work for me either.
The only time curls have ever stayed in my hair for a substantial period was when a hairdresser used some intense mousse and one of those automatic hair curling tools that sucks your hair up into a chamber and then pinning them in place to cool. Even then they fell out substantially... From ringlets to loose barrel curl in 24hours lol.

nycelle
September 1st, 2018, 01:43 PM
I think a wand might also do less damage since there's no extra heated metal piece on top of the hair.

Generally, I don't see the ends of hair curled these days anyway. A couple of my friends use wands and they always leave the ends straight. Is it a common problem though? I would think with a wand it would be. Not sure about a curling iron..