PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about hair ASMR?

Brittny
August 28th, 2018, 03:31 PM
If you are anything like me, I like to watch ASMR videos. I watch them almost daily, especially before I go to bed. However I recently discovered an entire different section of ASMR I did not even consider - hair! I come across a hair play video of a young woman brushing her beautiful hair that came to her waist. Eventually I found myself watching a bunch of hair play videos and even heavy hair oiling ASMR!

Do any of you like ASMR? Would you consider watching these types of videos?

lapushka
August 28th, 2018, 03:43 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't like ASMR at all, just a preference. I don't even click on the videos anymore. At first I thought... hmm, what's that. But the noises just make me "cringe" sooo bad! It sends an uncomfortable shiver up my spine, I hate the feeling. It's like nails on a chalkboard.

So in short, not for me. But you do you, girl!

Welcome to the forum, BTW! :)

Brittny
August 28th, 2018, 03:58 PM
Thank you for the kind welcome! I can understand, ASMR is not for everyone, but watching these videos of women brushing their hair or doing oil treatments just gives me a some kind of motivation to do the same with mine! :D

Ylva
August 28th, 2018, 04:00 PM
I quite like hair related ASMR videos sometimes. But one can't overdose on anything specific when it comes to ASMR. :) Of late I haven't watched or listened to ASMR very much, I've just preferred to sleep in silence.

GrowlingCupcake
August 28th, 2018, 04:20 PM
I didn't even know this was a thing but I just looked up a few videos, and no, they are not for me. I don't like watching videos or listening to videos (or even music, tv, etc. I have a very limited capacity for these things) so I don't get any enjoyment from these or see any point to them. The only hair videos I watch are how-to videos for buns/styles, and I dislike many of those as well since there's so much talking.

emilyogini
August 28th, 2018, 04:23 PM
I love them. asmrmassage has some really really great hair ones. but she hasn't posted in a long time, really

soothsayer
August 28th, 2018, 04:38 PM
I like hair-cutting ASMR videos because I actually like the experience of getting my hair cut...minus a chatty hairdresser. I used to get my nape buzzcut, so it's cool to hear the buzzy sounds and snips of scissors while I'm trying to grow out a pixie and avoid cutting my hair at all. Before I knew about ASMR, I would look up "binaural" or "3D sound" videos. There's one called Virtual Barber or something like that. It's professionally recorded with really good mics and mixing; if you close your eyes, it's like you are really in a chair getting a hair cut!

embee
August 28th, 2018, 05:29 PM
I didn't even know this was a thing but I just looked up a few videos, and no, they are not for me. I don't like watching videos or listening to videos (or even music, tv, etc. I have a very limited capacity for these things) so I don't get any enjoyment from these or see any point to them. The only hair videos I watch are how-to videos for buns/styles, and I dislike many of those as well since there's so much talking.

My goodness, I thought I was the only one who felt that way! I avoid videos as a general rule.

Fallow
August 28th, 2018, 05:47 PM
ASMR isn’t something I experience, so the videos don’t have much of an effect on me.. I have seen some that were relaxing but others are distracting or unpleasant to listen to, so I don’t seek them out. The hair videos sound nice though, perhaps I’ll watch a few later!

CopperButterfly
August 28th, 2018, 06:02 PM
I love hair ASMR videos. Especially the hair cut ones. I love the tingles, and I find it so relaxing. I wish I had more time for them, but I don't get to watch them very often.

Carolyn
August 28th, 2018, 06:27 PM
I've never heard of ASMR. What do the letters stand for? I googled and came up with some vids and watched a few minutes of a few of them. I don't get the point. The hair brushing was so boring I almost fell asleep. There was a hair cut one where the stylist butched a poor woman's hair. Like WTF? Can you please explain what this is and what is the point in the videos. One first look it seems creepy at best and on the f e t ishy side. What am I missing?

Ylva
August 28th, 2018, 06:43 PM
I've never heard of ASMR. What do the letters stand for? I googled and came up with some vids and watched a few minutes of a few of them. I don't get the point. The hair brushing was so boring I almost fell asleep. There was a hair cut one where the stylist butched a poor woman's hair. Like WTF? Can you please explain what this is and what is the point in the videos. One first look it seems creepy at best and on the f e t ishy side. What am I missing?

It stands for autonomous sensory meridian response (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_sensory_meridian_response). It's not a scientifically proven thing, but people still experience it and find it relaxing. It's a tingling sensation on the scalp or somewhere else, like spine. Funny that you say you almost fell asleep to a hair brushing video - that's the point, they're supposed to relax people and make them fall asleep among other things like easing stress. Some people make "creepy" and "******y" ASMR videos for sure, but the majority of them aren't like that and they are meant for relaxation.

windflowers_mel
August 28th, 2018, 08:23 PM
Hmm interesting. I looked up a hairbrushing one and it made my want to itch my head like crazy.

Carolyn
August 29th, 2018, 10:43 AM
It stands for autonomous sensory meridian response (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_sensory_meridian_response). It's not a scientifically proven thing, but people still experience it and find it relaxing. It's a tingling sensation on the scalp or somewhere else, like spine. Funny that you say you almost fell asleep to a hair brushing video - that's the point, they're supposed to relax people and make them fall asleep among other things like easing stress. Some people make "creepy" and "******y" ASMR videos for sure, but the majority of them aren't like that and they are meant for relaxation.

Thank you for the info. Interesting. I think I was almost falling asleep because I found watching another woman's hair being brushed as totally boring. However if would probably be relaxed if someone was brushing my hair like that in real life.

I agree with others who have said that hair styling videos can come off as a bit creepy too. For me there is way too much talking and hair brushing leading up to the actual styling. I could see a parallel there but maybe I'm wrong. I'll go watch a few more vids and see what I think. I probably won't watch any more hair cutting ones though.

illicitlizard
August 29th, 2018, 08:26 PM
I've never had a reaction to ASMR vids (at least not a positive one). Especially the ones of people eating or whispering (with those lip smacky sounds EW) which are the worst sounds on earth. Yeah it's just not for me, most of the sounds just make me tense. I have had the same tingly feeling it causes, but it's always from specific sections of music. Much more pleasant to the ear in my experience.
I feel like hair brushing would be the best of the lot though, cause I guess it's more of a 'dry' sound? If that even makes sense. Idk, I'm glad that so many people find joy in ASMR but I think I'll pass :P

Platzhalter
August 29th, 2018, 08:31 PM
I'm pretty much indifferent towards the whole thing - if the video in itself is interesting and has something aside from the ASMR part, I may watch it.

Vanillame
August 30th, 2018, 05:22 AM
I like them too 🙂

KJones2017
August 30th, 2018, 06:05 AM
I never knew these existed. I checked out a few last night and found them somewhat interesting. Since being on this site and learning about how gentle I have to be with my hair, the hair brushing sound makes me a little uncomfortable. I spend so much time trying not to make a noise with my hairbrush/comb!

nycelle
August 30th, 2018, 06:36 AM
I'm very sensitive to certain sounds people make when they speak.

For instance, when the letter "S" sounds like a hiss or whistle, or the lip smacking sound when the mouth is too dry.
So when I hear someone speaking very softly, sounds I normally tolerate are amplified and give me a very unpleasant feeling, cringe worthy. Opposite of what ASMR is supposed to do.

cathair
August 30th, 2018, 09:48 AM
I'm pleased for people who get something out of it, I find it creepy to watch/listen to though. I've uploaded some videos of my cat, which other people use as ASMR. I'm not sure how to feel about that, it's not what they were intended for.

illicitlizard
August 31st, 2018, 05:54 AM

For instance, when the letter "S" sounds like a hiss or whistle, or the lip smacking sound when the mouth is too dry.
So when I hear someone speaking very softly, sounds I normally tolerate are amplified and give me a very unpleasant feeling, cringe worthy. Opposite of what ASMR is supposed to do.

YES same (possibly to a lesser extent), I used to physically cringe if someone whispered in my ear. Awful noise. My friends quickly learnt to just,, not do that.

lapushka
August 31st, 2018, 06:28 AM

I get the opposite effect too; there has to be a name for that. For ASMR, they talk about a "good" sensation up the spine, relaxing and calming, but to me it's like chalk on a chalkboard.

Hexen
August 31st, 2018, 07:04 AM
I actually happen to find that 'whistling' s's is somewhat comedic :)
But, well......ASMR spans such a vast plane...that just the wishhhhh woooshhh of nature and the binaurial rhythm of said audio, shall elude many. Can I get an amen??? lmao Or at least the "crunch crunch" of a tortilla chip? :hmm::laugh:

MusicalSpoons
August 31st, 2018, 08:09 AM
I get the opposite effect too; there has to be a name for that. For ASMR, they talk about a "good" sensation up the spine, relaxing and calming, but to me it's like chalk on a chalkboard.

Misophonia? https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320682.php
I haven't looked into ASMR because just the descriptions of the sounds often make my skin crawl. [Oral sounds are The. Worst. When I'm already fatigued and nearing sensory overload it makes me want to punch someone (even myself) just to get rid of the awful jittery feeling. (I don't follow through, of course! :lol: I usually remove myself from the situation or put headphones in and drown it out with something I know I can deal with.)]

spidermom
August 31st, 2018, 10:06 AM
I don't even know what ASMR is.

Crna Kosa
August 31st, 2018, 10:40 AM
I usually find ASMR creepy, but I once watched a youtuber reading mean comments in ASMR and doing some other stuff and the sound of hair brushing is probably the best sound I heard so far. I never got the tingling sensation but I really enjoy hair brushing sounds.

Beatnik Guy
September 1st, 2018, 05:22 AM
The hair brushing was so boring

This. Particularly if it is protracted...

:frog:

lapushka
September 1st, 2018, 05:30 AM
Misophonia? https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320682.php
I haven't looked into ASMR because just the descriptions of the sounds often make my skin crawl. [Oral sounds are The. Worst. When I'm already fatigued and nearing sensory overload it makes me want to punch someone (even myself) just to get rid of the awful jittery feeling. (I don't follow through, of course! :lol: I usually remove myself from the situation or put headphones in and drown it out with something I know I can deal with.)]

No idea what it's called, but it probably does have a name. I learned about ASMR on the program "TOSH.0" on Comedy Central where there was a woman explaining her channel. They had propped a mic up for her and she performed in a skit like on her channel. I knew then it was not for me. Fingernails ticking, clucking sounds with the tongue, nope. But I bet the hair videos are a little different.

Joules
September 1st, 2018, 06:10 AM
I adore ASMR, it saved me during a particularly stressful time a couple of years ago, and I continue to go back to it whenever anxiety takes over my life. I love light tapping, clicking and crinkling noises, inaudible whispering is the best thing in the world, especially when it's done by a man, even though "in real life" I absolutely hate mouth sounds (and I'm sensitive to sounds in general, it's very easy to make me uncomfortable).

The thing with hair cutting ASMR is that it's hard to do properly. Some people just snip scissors around the microphone, some snip random things like plastic straws, all of it is great in itself, but it's not quite the hair cutting experience. You would need a real high quality wig for this kind of a video, and not many are willing to destroy an expensive thing just for views. I've seen a couple of great ASMR haircuts though, and they were heavenly.

Dark40
September 1st, 2018, 01:58 PM
Hi and welcome! :) I like hair ASMR videos! I'm always watching them! I love to see hair playing, brushing, shampooing and conditioning, and heavy oiling! :D

TwilightMermaid
September 1st, 2018, 04:07 PM
Some are relaxing like Jewelliana Palencia's but some make me cringe because the sound their hair makes when being combed dry.

RadioactiveLily
September 5th, 2018, 02:09 PM
For those who have never heard of ASMR:
https://asmruniversity.com/about-asmr/what-is-asmr/

Like some previous posters, I CANNOT STAND the auditory trigger ASMR videos. Those kind of noises cause me unreasonable anger and anxiety that could probably be characterized as misophonic. I am a person who experiences ASMR, but most things that trigger it are tactile or visual. This is why I LOVE getting my hair washed and trimmed at a salon and people playing with it in general.

littlestarface
September 5th, 2018, 02:14 PM
For those who have never heard of ASMR:
https://asmruniversity.com/about-asmr/what-is-asmr/

Like some previous posters, I CANNOT STAND the auditory trigger ASMR videos. Those kind of noises cause me unreasonable anger and anxiety that could probably be characterized as misophonic. I am a person who experiences ASMR, but most things that trigger it are tactile or visual. This is why I LOVE getting my hair washed and trimmed at a salon and people playing with it in general.

I am the same, I love that stuff especially little kid fingers in my hair or playing with makeup on me.

Tassledown
September 8th, 2018, 12:53 AM
ASMR is really cool for me too, although hair cutting is an anxiety trigger (probably due to my poor previous experiences with hair salons in general.) I usually go for tapping/scratching and sometimes soft-spoken, though.

For all y'all going "I don't get it/that's absolutely awful" - yes, that is totally typical. There's some sounds I can't do either. Aren't human responses so very weird? The same thing that makes some people happy and relaxed makes others want to claw their skin off if they have to listen to it one more time (Me and scraping sounds/ too-sharp clicks - like how about NO.)

The hair videos really vary too widely to assess tbh. It depends on the artist's smoothness and presentation - the rate and quality of sound matters massively to me, so while hair brushing can be a very soothing noise, it has to be slow and even to work out well. Head-scratching sounds are bliss almost equal to actual head-scratches if done well, but too many come with "personal attention" roleplaying and I haaaate those.

ETA: For those who find certain noises rage-inducing, infuiating, bad-skin-crawling, etc - yes, that falls under "misophonia" IIRC, and I believe the operative function is similar to ASMR in some cases. You could maybe find noises you liked but it also may not be worth trying, which, nbd. Human bodies are weird, who'd have guessed.

hanniejayyy
September 9th, 2018, 01:21 PM
i like the braiding ones. they tend to have less or quieter talking than tutorials and i can really relax when i watch them!

cjk
September 9th, 2018, 02:48 PM
Forced cutting description removed

The point being that what excites one person is a turnoff to another. We each respond individually.