PDA

View Full Version : Ways to darken hair without damage

Synester
August 27th, 2018, 03:49 PM
My mane has become almost ALL virgin hair at this point now except for some little tips at the ends left the urge to dye it a shade or two darker is real. But I dont want to damage my long healthy virgin hair now. anyone have tips and tricks to naturally darken hair a bit. Or ways without damage? i quit using heat and its mostly virgin now. Im trying to be good to it haha

Ylva
August 27th, 2018, 03:50 PM
I've heard amla oil can darken hair. Thus I've stayed far away from it - I want my hair as light as possible. :D

Synester
August 27th, 2018, 04:03 PM
if i had hair as light as yours id want to keep it as light as possible as well! so pretty <3 i wish i had natural snow white/silver locks at my age. in time hahaha. But my natural hair is a very ash brown color. and i am very pale. and i think darker looks best on my complexion and eyecolor. Demidyes arent THAT DAMAGING. but still..looking for healthier ways.

lapushka
August 27th, 2018, 04:38 PM
If it's just the ends and your hair is mostly virgin, I wouldn't do it; not worth it to have to start all over if it goes wrong. And with dyes, any kind of dye, you just never know!

Ylva
August 27th, 2018, 04:40 PM
Thank you kindly! :heart:

I found this recipe for a "hair darkening rinse": https://www.hairbuddha.net/how-to-cheat-grey-hair/

Maybe that is something for you?

JennGalt
August 27th, 2018, 04:46 PM
I’ve never used either of these on my hair, but I’ve heard both coffee and molasses can darken hair if left on for 20-30 mins. Coffee is potentially drying, but molasses could act as a humectant. I believe molasses on its own could be difficult to rinse out though, so maybe try an SMT but use molasses instead of honey.

And don’t forget about deposit only dyes like Manic Panic :)

MusicalSpoons
August 27th, 2018, 05:00 PM
And don’t forget about deposit only dyes like Manic Panic :)

I was going to suggest this. You could play around with all sorts of shades with zero damage, just super-soft, conditioned hair :)

(There is always the option of herbal colours, but things like henna/indigo need thorough researching and experimenting with different recipes on test stands before committing to anything.)

lithostoic
August 27th, 2018, 05:13 PM
Arctic Fox and Manic Panic both make a beautiful shiny black shade that washes out eventually. It's more like a deep conditioner with a very potent black tint.

Synester
August 27th, 2018, 05:26 PM
im very interested in henna and indigos..but im also very scared of them and their permanence. I want dark espresso brown hair. i didnt think manic panic made brown dyes? just wild colors and jet black. yes ive heard coffee can darken. it might be a try lol.

MusicalSpoons
August 27th, 2018, 05:30 PM
im very interested in henna and indigos..but im also very scared of them and their permanence. I want dark espresso brown hair. i didnt think manic panic made brown dyes? just wild colors and jet black. yes ive heard coffee can darken. it might be a try lol.

I don't know what's available where, but I've read that Adore do some natural shades. The other brands might too, just not such a range of them. (Might. I don't know.)

Rebeccalaurenxx
August 27th, 2018, 08:12 PM
The problem with TEMP dyes like manic panic and adore, they have UNDERTONES. as they fade your natural color WILL be altered.
you cant dye hair without being left with a hue that you might not want at all. like i hate using the temp black dye because as it fades, there is typically a green or blue undertone and its seen more and more as the dye fades away.

Dark40
August 27th, 2018, 08:49 PM
I hard that coffee rinses can darken hair. Or, you can use a semi-perminant hair dye like, "Adore," or "Jazzing." You can use anyone of their brown shades. Semi-perminant hair dyes don't damage hair.

Synester
August 27th, 2018, 09:17 PM
very true about undertones. I dont really enjoy warm undertones I like cooler to neutral ones. So yeah trying to stick to natural things and lean away from any packaged dyes. coffee and Amla seem to be the most promising.

nikittyy
September 21st, 2018, 04:10 PM
I've heard henna works wonders without doing much damage! You can get some from Lush.

Arciela
September 21st, 2018, 04:24 PM
I used pravana..and the color did not damage my hair at all. It lasted until I was able to cut off all the damage :flower:

Synester
September 21st, 2018, 05:58 PM
I just want Dark espresso brown hair, not black. but very dark brown. i know most hennas are a red? are they not. and pravana is a great brand. ive used their vivids line for years when i had tons of wild colors and i know its semi permanent and non damaging. ill look into other colors they have available maybe if i dont chicken out with dying my almost 100% virgin hair and the 4 year long progress will be lost. (if anyone knows of some dark brown henna brands lemmy know) ive always been interested in henna but idk...i feel like if i wanted ill never be able to get rid of it.