PDA

View Full Version : What’s your latest new found hair trick?

longmanedreamer
August 26th, 2018, 06:02 AM
What trick have you discovered to keep your locks healthy and steadily growing??

MoonRabbit
August 26th, 2018, 02:56 PM
Biggest trick I learned is to just kind of forget about it. I keep it up most days out of the week and and try to be very careful when brushing/handling it.

Measure less (I do it at the start of every season to keep myself sane) Also, no heat. Could never get past mbl when I used it.

TreesOfEternity
August 26th, 2018, 03:25 PM
That sometimes when it comes to the use of products, less is more. Layering products day after day on the hair can be counter productive at least in my case, so I try to take it easy on no-wash days, just detangle it, put it in a bun and forget about it.

lapushka
August 26th, 2018, 05:17 PM
No tricks, just patience and TLC.

C_Bookworm
August 26th, 2018, 05:58 PM
For growing out layers, finding a sweet spot and hovering near there has helped a lot. I took off 4 inches in November 2017, 5 inches in February 2018, and come this October I’ll be cutting off the last of my layers, somewhere in the 5-6 inch range. That’s a really long time to hover in the same range. But it’s a length for me where haircare is easy peasy (wash and go), braiding and bunning are fast and simple, and most of all, I like the tactile feel of it (hair long enough to brush my arms, but not so long I’m closing it in doors or sitting on it).

DisneyRapunzel
August 26th, 2018, 06:14 PM
Oil treatment on roots (peppermint + black castor) and deep conditioning mask on ends. I wash my hair twice a week and I do this mix a couple hours before I know I'll be washing it. I usually massage the oil in really well for a few minutes and sometimes wrap a warm (soft) towel or t-shirt around my head. I swear my hair grew 9 inches last year because of the help of oil treatments. Before that, I would maybe grow 6-7 inches a year! Also just avoiding heat. Not really a trick I guess lol, but I do a lot of overnight curls instead of using a curling iron. Headband curls turn out amazing and are a lot of fun.

Sid0rela
August 27th, 2018, 04:46 AM
my latest new found hair trick must be putting oil (argan oil treatment by ogx) in my lengths while my hair is still damp and wet.
i used to oil my hair when it was dry, but discovered that oiling while damp makes my hair the softest ive ever had and much frizz free. (since i have thick hair, type 1b but frizzy and puffy)

nycelle
August 27th, 2018, 06:47 AM
a light, leave-in conditioner in between shampoos. I spray some into my hands then rub it into my ends, or whatever area feels a little dry. I've been doing it for months and can see the difference it's making.

MusicalSpoons
August 27th, 2018, 09:21 AM
Biggest factor for retaining length overall was keeping it up in actually protective styles using hair-friendly accessories (usually referred to as hairtoys).

Latest 'trick' is using more conditioner, because my hair was showing me it needed it.

Milkchocolate
August 27th, 2018, 11:51 AM
Oiling my ends keeps my hair looking plumper and healthier and keeps the split ends at a minimum. I used to avoid oil at all costs, but Hask has some amazing ones that don’t make my hair shed or feel greasy at all :)

Rehab350
August 27th, 2018, 08:44 PM
Blow drying my hair around scalp using AC haha.
The the length always drying quickly, While scalp takes long time. I don't like it. I think it irritates my scalp so I discovered this way of drying scalp quickly.

LittleHealthy
August 27th, 2018, 10:44 PM
To spritz my ends with water before oiling them.
Or to oil when my hair is still wet after a wash.

I’d been oiling my ends whilst dry, for the past year-or-so. I was sealing in the dryness, thus seeing no improvement.

Natashap
August 28th, 2018, 01:25 AM
Flat beer rinse for detangling!

So amazing.

Sarahlabyrinth
August 28th, 2018, 03:02 AM
Gentleness and patience. For year after year after year, and more years on top of those....

LittleHealthy
August 28th, 2018, 03:09 AM
Flat beer rinse for detangling!

So amazing.

What is this ‘flat beer’ you speak of? Bahaha! My partner would not allow such a thing ;)

Milkchocolate
August 28th, 2018, 10:21 AM
Blow drying my hair around scalp using AC haha.
The the length always drying quickly, While scalp takes long time. I don't like it. I think it irritates my scalp so I discovered this way of drying scalp quickly.

I love doing this but with a desk fan! I set it on a table and let my hair drape over the bed while the fan is facing it :)

poli
August 31st, 2018, 12:59 AM
Adding a styling product to my routine, applied on soaking wet hair. Right now I'm experimenting with hair mousse or curl cream, both give some volume boost and texture to my 1c hair.

GreenFairy
August 31st, 2018, 02:14 PM
Sleeping on dry hair only. I use to be lazy and sleep on a damp or sometimes wet hair and wondered all the time why my hair wasn’t growing.

cjk
August 31st, 2018, 03:11 PM
Accidentally applied 10x the conditioner I normally would. Hair took it all in and looked fantastic.

I now condition until my hair won't immediately absorb it anymore.

Never looked or felt better.

MusicalSpoons
August 31st, 2018, 03:56 PM
Sleeping on dry hair only. I use to be lazy and sleep on a damp or sometimes wet hair and wondered all the time why my hair wasn’t growing.

I've seen this listed elsewhere as a hair 'sin', and I don't know why :confused: I'm genuinely curious to know!

GreenFairy
August 31st, 2018, 11:29 PM
The hair is so fragile when it’s wet. It’s easily broken in that wet state. Then we rub our heads into our pillow as we sleep.

MusicalSpoons
September 6th, 2018, 07:54 AM
Ah thanks GreenFairy, that does make sense. I've always done it since my early teens so I can't really tell whether it's caused damage or not, though I never used to move in my sleep - I still don't, but I now move a lot trying to get to sleep and trying to wake up :lol: I'd like to think sleeping on satin and keeping the hair loosely contained would limit damage, but I suppose the only way to know would be to stop doing it :shrug:

EssleyBlue
September 6th, 2018, 08:06 AM
I like no poo'ing with diluted ACV. That and benign neglect, never measuring (that would drive me crazy). Also accepting my hair the way it is, the texture, the way it wants to curve this way or that. I don't fight, don't resist. Just go with the flow. Makes my life easier.

zashin66
September 6th, 2018, 10:30 AM
benign neglect
accepting my hair the way it is, the texture, the way it wants to curve this way or that. I don't fight, don't resist. Just go with the flow. Makes my life easier.

I so agree with you on that!!
Once I stopped wishing for my sister's soft silky hair and accepted my own coarse waves, my hair life got easier.

kittensoupnrice
September 6th, 2018, 10:54 AM
Leaving my hair tangly after washing. I'll separate it gently into three strands and then braid it into a long braid and lazy wrap it up with a metal hairfork and just not worry if the braid wasn't perfectly smooth. Later in the evening, when it's completely dry, I'll oil the length and de-tangle. It's really kept my damage down.