PDA

View Full Version : It's Cruise Time!

FennFire911
August 25th, 2018, 05:17 PM
Well here we go! This year's big vacation is a Southern Caribbean cruise. We've saved up and looked forward to this for quite a while now.
My main concern? Hair care of course. I don't imagine I will swim in a pool. They kind of gross me out. But I *will* be in the ocean where I belong. lol
I'm thinking that before each swimming outing I should oil my hair and then English braid it? On the day we go to swim with the sea lions I'm going to tuck the braid into my swim shirt. Don't need a sea lion thinking that would be a funny toy to pull on lol
But what oil(s) should I take with me to use for this? I currently have on hand sweet almond oil that has some vitamin E oil in it, Indian Hemp and Tamanu oil, argan oil, macadamia oil...And I also have avocado oil and grapeseed oil, but those are in big bottles because I got them in the grocery section of the store. Oh, and I have baby oil. What would be best to block out as much ocean water as possible? I'm afraid I'm too stubborn to wear a swim cap in the ocean. In a lake or for swimming for exercise I would, but in the ocean I intend to enjoy it just the same as I did as a child growing up on beaches.
Of course after swimming I will rinse and wash thoroughly and be generous with conditioner and leave in. On deck I'll keep my hair bunned.
What do y'all recommend? :D

lakhesis
August 25th, 2018, 05:57 PM
I would choose the oil depending on what your hair likes. Maybe also consider that some of the oils penetrate the hair (almond oil) and some don't (argan oil). I personally like those two the most, not too heavy for fine hair :)
If you want to use it in a way to protect your hair, I personally would first wet my hair with normal water and then put an oil on it.
I did that during my holiday and despite swimming in the sea daily my ends weren't too dry. I also had a special 2in1 shampoo+conditioner that was meant to be used after swimming in salt water or in a pool.

Ylva
August 25th, 2018, 06:40 PM
Maybe also consider that some of the oils penetrate the hair (almond oil) and some don't (argan oil).

Argan oil does also penetrate the hair, to some degree. http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2013/06/oils-which-ones-soak-in-vs-coat-hair.html

lakhesis
August 26th, 2018, 01:46 AM
Argan oil does also penetrate the hair, to some degree. http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2013/06/oils-which-ones-soak-in-vs-coat-hair.html

Oh good to know, thanks. I read elsewhere it just coats the hair, but this explains it much better :)

FennFire911
August 26th, 2018, 04:36 AM
I packed both, it seems they can be used together and compliment each other.
Thanks! :)