PDA

View Full Version : Scented hair - the fourteenth-century way

_fred_
August 25th, 2018, 02:46 AM
In this video about C14th high status women's beauty routines, cloves are used to scent the hair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt9DZFXUEAA

Has anyone tried popping a clove or two in their bun? I'm actually pretty tempted!

What about other spices, herbs or scents?

They also have a blog post showing where they get their recipes/info from (available in German as well as English) (https://wh1350.at/en/clothing/medieval-cosmetics-and-beauty-routine/). On an aside, I'm in love with her fitted shift - I've been doing a bit of research into those at work, and they're so cool!

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
August 25th, 2018, 03:53 AM
That is an interesting idea... I'm tempted too! :p

illicitlizard
August 25th, 2018, 05:23 AM
This is such a neat vid (forget the cloves I wanna just carry a nifty knife around on my belt haha). But for real, seems like a great idea! If I could smell like a spice rack at all times I 100% would.

LittleMac
August 25th, 2018, 03:36 PM
Oh God I'd have to use something else because I DESPISE the smell of cloves!

Kalamazoo
August 25th, 2018, 04:14 PM
How about a sprig of peppermint? The leaf or leaves could even look decorative...

windflowers_mel
August 25th, 2018, 06:21 PM
Ooh or rosemary or lavender? Maybe a cinnamon stick?

Fallow
August 25th, 2018, 06:45 PM
What an interesting video! I was amused by how solemn the actors were. I wouldn't mind trying something like this (lavender is a nice idea!) but wouldn't go out of my way for it.

I clicked through to the blog and skimmed the section on hair care... apparently they used conditioner made from "lizard grease." I think I'll pass!

Kaoria
August 26th, 2018, 01:12 AM
...forget the cloves I wanna just carry a nifty knife around on my belt haha.
Yes! So jelly of that knife! I have a neck knife anyway but the one in the vid looked so cute and purposeful I suppose.

Princess Kitti
August 26th, 2018, 01:46 AM
Ooh or rosemary or lavender? Maybe a cinnamon stick?

*Waits for someone to try using a cinnamon stick as a hairstick* :laugh: Seriously, it would smell great!

Ligeia Noire
August 26th, 2018, 02:53 PM
My mom and my late grandmother did similar things with sweet basil or mint... A leaf hidden in the cleavage or braid/bun.. I still do it occasionally.

MsPharaohMoan
August 26th, 2018, 04:43 PM
I like the idea of herbs adorning your hair... I've used incense, oils infused with herbs like rosemary and lavender, and various smelly products (props to creation's garden lime verbena leave-in and shea moisture anti-breakage mask) although lately I've been loving treating my ends with nightblooming's ostara salve, oh my I do love the scent of citrus...

LittleMac
August 27th, 2018, 05:09 PM
Wow I love the ideas of using fresh mint/cinnamon/rosemary/lavender/basil! I happen to have a mint and basil plant... I may have to try this.

daisy rei
August 27th, 2018, 05:15 PM
My mom and my late grandmother did similar things with sweet basil or mint... A leaf hidden in the cleavage or braid/bun.. I still do it occasionally.

Does your hair still smell like it for a while after you've taken the leaf out?

M3DUS4
November 1st, 2018, 03:54 PM
Fascinating. I live for cool historical information about beauty, and recently that has fed into my interest in beauty tutorials from before the invention of the automobile. But I haven't seen this one before! Thanks for sharing.

MamaLou
November 2nd, 2018, 05:20 AM
I'm amazed by that long braid! I wonder how she did that.

MusicalSpoons
November 2nd, 2018, 06:50 AM
*Waits for someone to try using a cinnamon stick as a hairstick* :laugh: Seriously, it would smell great!

Bahahaha that's what I thought when reading that post! :laugh: or using sprigs of herbs for decoration - not flower arranging, but herbal arrangements ... mmm, yummy :cloud9: