PDA

View Full Version : Hair straightener suggestions

MidnightMoon
August 24th, 2018, 06:16 AM
I know most here try to avoid such tools, but I'm guessing a few might use one or can suggest something.

I'm not very happy with my hair at the moment and decided I want to be able to wear it the way it makes me feel the best every now and then. I'm also keeping it around hip for a while, so there's that.

About the price, I was thinking not more than 100-150 euro but googling has made me realise they might be cheaper than that. I used to own one about 8 years ago, so I have no idea what's in the market right now.

I know being able to select different temperatures is good, and I'd prefer a larger one as I find it takes less time to do all my hair. I'd appreciate specific brands/names, as I can't really start comparing the huge amount of straighteners there's out there.
Thanks!

Suortuva
August 24th, 2018, 06:33 AM
I don't know about these things myself, but I had a colleague who really, really loved GHD straightener. She straightened her hair every day and thought it was a good investment.

Milkchocolate
August 24th, 2018, 08:36 AM
I love the chi hair straightener! The heat is adjustable. The plates are not wide and bulky, so I find that it’s better that way for more of a precise job. The plates are a smooth ceramic so it just glides through your hair. Plus they have so many cute designs on their plates. They are built to last! Mine works like new and I’ve had it for 5 years already.

Definitely get a good heat protectant spray. It will not only help with a protective layer, but also smooth out your hair and add luster. Get one that is oil and dimethicone based. not ones that are heavy on alcohol or else you will hear your hair sizzling.

lapushka
August 24th, 2018, 04:32 PM
I have a curling iron and straightener set that I bought from Braun. My blow dryer / diffuser is Braun too. I love the brand in general for tools like this. It was about 150 euro for the both of them.

lunasea
August 24th, 2018, 09:38 PM
I used to wrap my hair at night when I wanted it super straight. No heat, no tools, no expense. It's super quick after you get the hang of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9lRu2wkL-w

Frankenstein
August 24th, 2018, 09:49 PM
I used Chi straighteners for a decade and they were decent but these days I use a Babybliss and I prefer it.

LittleHealthy
August 25th, 2018, 01:36 AM
My sister has long, curly hair and straightens it regularly. She swears by GHD brand because she says that it is the most efficient and thus less damaging (not having to go over the same sections over and over). Her straightener gave up the ghost a few weeks ago after something like 7-8 years!! That’s not bad. She’s just bought a new one, second-hand on eBay! So perhaps if you want a more expensive brand then second hand could be an option (providing they can verify the authenticity).

MidnightMoon
September 5th, 2018, 05:40 AM
Sorry for the late reply. I've only had internet on my phone lately so I've been postponing most of the required browsing and posting here. Thanks all for the suggestions.
About wrapping my hair, most of my problem is frizz, very short hairs on my crown and a random curly streak near my face, so any method that works for my length isn't very effective on very short hairs.
About brands, seems GHD is very popular, and I hadn't even thought of buying it second hand. They seem to be around 90-100 euro on ebay, so about 60-70 cheaper than a new one. My only concern is I can't tell how much they've been used, if they have some failure or work differently because they're not new anymore. Anyone has experience buying used hair tools?

littlestarface
September 5th, 2018, 11:52 AM
I used Chi straighteners for a decade and they were decent but these days I use a Babybliss and I prefer it.

Iv'e seen the babybliss in action on youtube and it works amazing and only needs 1 swipe to straighten hair like > |

Flowerness
September 5th, 2018, 01:31 PM
I guess I'm one of those people that can't use a hair iron/straightener. Maybe it was just because it was cheap? As my hair grew, I've found that if I want it straight, I use a heavy leave in (I use cantu) and put it in a bun. When I want the canopy to look really nice, and include the little hairs, I'll also use a velcro roller on the hair in front, along the hair line, and along the part. That seems to give it body and smooth it a bit. For some reason, this is so much faster and easier for me than using a heat tool. I used to do straightening with a curling iron and it took me forever!

I hope you are able to find something that works great for you!

ebillan
September 5th, 2018, 02:24 PM
I use an Avanti ultra tourmaline. I originally got it for my sister, and it did such a good job on my hair I bought another one for myself!
The plates are only about an inch wide but work great. With my old straightener it took my an hour to do my hair, this one takes me 20-30 minutes. And it only cost $110 Canadian!

MidnightMoon
September 5th, 2018, 09:35 PM
I think I have internet now :lol:, so I'll look for youtube videos tomorrow. Babybliss seems to be a much cheaper option, so I might lean towards that. How do you decide on a model? They have different prices and seem to do the same.

littlestarface
September 14th, 2018, 11:09 AM
I think I have internet now :lol:, so I'll look for youtube videos tomorrow. Babybliss seems to be a much cheaper option, so I might lean towards that. How do you decide on a model? They have different prices and seem to do the same.

The ones I seen on youtube is babyblisspro nano titanium 1-inch ultra-thin straightening iron, they have it in the description.

Upside Down
September 15th, 2018, 11:48 AM
I remember looking at popular irons like ghd and seeing they don’t have a temperature setting, I ended up getting a Boss iron where I can set the tenperature. I find that I don’t need more than 160 but most irons work on 180+.
I am happy with this iron, it was in 100€ range more or less, new.

And yes higher temperatures are going to be more efficient, but you need that sweetspot where you get least damage and most efficiency and this takes some experience. But how will you know if you have only one temperature setting (on/off)?

enting
September 15th, 2018, 02:01 PM
I think I have a Conair ceramic iron. It has a dial on the side with all sorts of settings. I haven't used it in years, but as long as I took the time to detangle properly beforehand it worked well, I think.

Reservechic
September 15th, 2018, 02:40 PM
There are a lot of people selling fake GHD flat irons, so I would highly recommend using Google to first find out out what a real GHD flat iron should have on it versus a fake one. I am sorry, but I don't know how much euros=to American dollars. However, I can say, that I have gotten really good results with the GHD flatiron, CHI flatiron, and PYT flat iron, in regards to more expensive flat irons.

In regards to cheaper flatirons, the best one I have found is by Andis.However, when I don't feel like blowing my hair out first, I will use my Conair Wet-To-Dry flat iron. I am not one one who flat irons their hair on a frequent basis, because, it's time consuming, and after a while, my arm will start getting tired (and that's only because I straighten my hair in small sections in order to get the best results). Also, I don't personally recommend ever buying a used flatiron off of EBay or Amazon, because you are taking a big risk doing so. I would highly recommend spending your money on one that is brand new. Plus, please know that there is absolutely nothing wrong with straightening ones hair at all. As, long as you have a hair care regimen in place that helps aid with keeping your hair healthy, you always use a heat protectant during the straightening process, and you get trims when needed to remove any split ends that happen to occur, and you know how to properly preserve your straightened hair every night, by wrapping it around your head, in what is referred to as being a "doobie" and then tying your head with a satin scarf in order to keep your hair secure all night, then you should be able to preserve your straightened hair with no major problems at all.

Fairyxlights
September 15th, 2018, 03:52 PM
I had a CHI straightener in high school. Lasted 6+ years maybe. Definitely worked well/good quality. Replaced it with a Numi before I gave up heat tools. It works ok, no where close to my old CHI. I have had a stylist use a babybliss straightener on my hair and it was amazing! Straightened with one pass and made my hair very shiny. I would definitely suggest a good heat spray, I used "Got2B Guardian Angel" back in the day. Seemed to work well but, as always, YMMV.

Ps I'm located in the US so I'm not sure of pricing/availability in other countries.

MissMuse
September 15th, 2018, 04:20 PM
I had a ghd and hated it, now I have a Cloud 9 which is amazing. I have 2 actually, the thick blades and normal sized iron. You can set the temperature and it turns off automatically if you forget (which is a bonus for me!!) The ghd just wouldnt straighten as straight as I needed (have thick coarse hair)

lunalocks
September 18th, 2018, 07:22 PM
Why not just set your hair in huge [soup can size] rollers? Over time heat is going to fry your hair.

MidnightMoon
September 21st, 2018, 11:48 AM
Only today I noticed there were many more replies since last time I checked... I'm sorry for replying just now.
I just noticed we've all been misspelling the brand of Babyliss as BabyBliss :lol: It's specially funny since I have a 6 week old. must be too much in my mind.

I tried reading a bit to understand what the difference was between some of the suggestions. It seems Babyliss is better suited for coarser curlier hair as it's metal, opposed to ceramic? My hair is definitely not hard to style, as it's very fine and not really curly, just wavy, so I don't need the hardest stuff in the market.

About it being damaging, I used to own a straightener about 8-9 years ago. My ends did end up quite damaged, but I bleached it back then, wore it loose all the time, blow dried, and straightened it. I plan to be more careful, and it's mostly to tame flyaways/frizz and two bands in the front that are shorter and wavier just to have a sleek look near my face. I don't think I'll straighten my whole head often, but it would be nice to have it for special occasions, where I want a different look.

About not buying second hand... you might be true. I have read about fakes and watched videos, but you also never know if it was damaged and poorly repaired or just faulty somehow... and 90 or 100 euro is still quite a high price for something that might not work or be fake :/
I'm also familiar with that hair wrapping method :lol: It's popular in the Caribbean and I remember when Rihanna came looking like that to some event and there were many memes and jokes about it :p

About temperature... I was also surprised to see some of the higher end brands don't have different temperature settings. And I might also not need the highest setting given my hair is already quite straight most of the time and fine... and 100 euro seems like a good price. I feel a bit bad when thinking of spending 200 for a straightener... I don't usually spend on myself, and keep finding excuses not to buy stuff. I also don't want to get the most expensive one just because of the brand when there might be cheaper just as good options, but how am I really supposed to know? :/

nycelle
September 21st, 2018, 12:55 PM
BaByLiss has ceramic flat irons (and titanium ones) in various price ranges.. oldest models being cheaper. Personally, I like the brand a lot.

Here's a link to to one of the models at a mid-range price. The heat can be controlled. Babyliss ceramic flat iron 1" (https://www.ulta.com/porcelain-ceramic-1-straightening-iron?productId=xlsImpprod13891067&sku=2302209&cmpid=PS_Non!google!Product_Listing_Ads&cagpspn=pla&CATCI=aud-407522006764:pla-334686144616&CAAGID=33743123217&CAWELAID=330000200000508451&CATARGETID=330000200001207643&cadevice=c&gclid=Cj0KCQjwrZLdBRCmARIsAFBZllG8V2Ns5rG0KGPQ5c_S zjW678HvDCOHE2gz1Wo9EIAq-kRbTcu8M9kaAmz9EALw_wcB)

I don't know if the models are different in your country? But they should all be fairly similar even if they are.

And congrats on your new born!! Hope you and the baby are doing beautifully :)

Upside Down
September 21st, 2018, 01:09 PM
I had a ghd and hated it, now I have a Cloud 9 which is amazing. I have 2 actually, the thick blades and normal sized iron. You can set the temperature and it turns off automatically if you forget (which is a bonus for me!!) The ghd just wouldnt straighten as straight as I needed (have thick coarse hair)

What settings does it have? I see they have big dots on 100, 150 and 200 and in between unlabeled little dots. Are those explained in the manual?
Auto switch off is a huge bonus! I am always paranoid about leaving it on.

And what are thick blades? Wide/more surface or are they actually thicker and to what end? :)

About not buying second hand... you might be true. I have read about fakes and watched videos, but you also never know if it was damaged and poorly repaired or just faulty somehow... and 90 or 100 euro is still quite a high price for something that might not work or be fake :/
I'm also familiar with that hair wrapping method :lol: It's popular in the Caribbean and I remember when Rihanna came looking like that to some event and there were many memes and jokes about it :p

About temperature... I was also surprised to see some of the higher end brands don't have different temperature settings. And I might also not need the highest setting given my hair is already quite straight most of the time and fine... and 100 euro seems like a good price. I feel a bit bad when thinking of spending 200 for a straightener... I don't usually spend on myself, and keep finding excuses not to buy stuff. I also don't want to get the most expensive one just because of the brand when there might be cheaper just as good options, but how am I really supposed to know? :/

About buying second hand, I’d avoid that too. I am thinking of changing my iron just cause I have this one for years and I think paddles are bound to have some wear on them, that could snag on hair.

As for choosing, well that’s easy :lol:

Set a budget, get something and then swear by it :lol:

nikittyy
September 21st, 2018, 03:05 PM
I totally get where you're coming from on the whole conflicted about using heat tools thing. I hate my natural hair and have used straighteners every day for years, and unfortunately it has left me with a lot of breakage and split ends. However, I only recently began to use heat protectant spray and actually take care of my hair, and cut down on the heat rather than frying it into submission. I threw away my old straightener, and bought a new Chi one and that works pretty well. I use it on the lowest heat setting. Plus, it's pink so that's a bonus!