PDA

View Full Version : Layers too short. How do I keep my hair from getting too puffy

takingtheAtrain
August 23rd, 2018, 08:57 PM
Without a bit of weight, the top of my head will get too puffy, making my already big head looking very awkward. The shortest of my layer is mid ear length :( I normally donít mind a bit of layers but this is way too much. The bottom of my hair is incredibly thin I had to perm my hair to avoid looking like a mushroom.

I literally overload my hair with conditioner but it wouldnít help the puffiness. I hate tying my hair up so a ponytail would just make me feel worse. Iím going to take biotin and see how it goes.

Any idea of what I can do now before I grow my hair back? :(

JennGalt
August 23rd, 2018, 09:17 PM
Welcome to the LHC! We might be able to help you more if we had more info. What’s your hair texture like? How long is your hair? What is your hair care routine like now, and what sort of products are you using? Is humidity playing a role?

lapushka
August 24th, 2018, 05:12 AM
I agree with JennGalt, we need a little more information.

How long is it? You said you had to perm it? But that would make it even shorter, wouldn't it? Due to curl shrinkage? Or do you blowdry/flatiron it straight (wouldn't go there). The perm on its own is damage enough. I had plenty of perms in my lifetime.

takingtheAtrain
August 24th, 2018, 09:03 AM
Oops sorry guys. Newbie mistake :)

I have thick and naturally a bit wavy Asian hair which will become frizzy and puffy easily if layers are done. The shortest layers are now mid-ear length and the longest are above boobs (post perming). I use head and shoulder shampoo and normally repair or moisturising conditioner of Morocco or Aussie or other brands. H&S shampoo is probably the only shampoo I tried which gave me I wash my hair once every other day (I have to. Tried dry shampoo. It doesn’t work well on me). Also started to use Morocco argan oil everyday on my ends.

I like to use my hands to keep pressing my hair down :( but that will only give me oily hair. I’m also going to start on biotin to boost some growth.

I think my scalp is actually not oily but my hair gets oily by the end of the second day. I don’t know why. :(

Thanks so much guys!!!

JennGalt
August 24th, 2018, 07:11 PM
Maybe some gel would help? Or perhaps put your oiliness to good use and use your fingers or a BBB (boar bristle brush) to move some of the sebum further down the shaft to help tame the poofiness.

And I know you’re not keen on ponytails, but would twisting sections of your hair back and securing it with mini claw clips be a better option?

Obsidian
August 24th, 2018, 08:26 PM
Was your perm to make curls or to straighten your waves? Unfortunately, the easiest way would be to pin it back. Some products will help tame it but it could also make it flat or oily looking.

lapushka
August 25th, 2018, 04:36 PM
I think my scalp is actually not oily but my hair gets oily by the end of the second day. I don’t know why. :(

If your scalp gets oily then you are oily. You could consider stretching washes, but if that gives you scalp issues (flakes, I see you are using H&S), then just do what you're used to doing and go back to that immediately. It's not worth it having an aggravated scalp!

spidermom
August 25th, 2018, 10:00 PM
My hair tends to fluff out like crazy when it's shorter. I used to finger-comb some gel through it to get my waves and curls to clump together. Otherwise my hair looked like a cloud of fluff.