PDA

View Full Version : The hair color itch

vampyyri
August 23rd, 2018, 06:33 PM
Hey guys, long time no see! :flowers:

I've been debating coloring my hair lately... I've had this itch I haven't been able to fully scratch for... maybe over a year now? I've tried to placate it by using a semi dye to color my underlayer a rose gold twice now, but it's not really helping.

What I'm yearning for is red/ginger hair. But the problem is, I also love my natural color and I don't want to ruin it. I've been eyeing Adore dyes reeeeal heavily over the past year (french cognac in particular). I want the color of henna without the commitment. I'm just scared out of my wits that if I do this, that it would stain my hair permanently... in case I end up hating it. :ponder:

I used to be a redhead when my now DH met me, and he really loved it, and it was my favorite color on myself as well. I've done every natural color under the sun, but red always suited me especially well (pale skin, green eyes, neutral/yellow complexion).

But dagnabbit I'm scared it's just going to stain my hair and ruin all of this hard work/patience! I waited so long to grow out a bunch of dye, and I don't want to get caught falling down the same rabbit hole. :hmm: I just want to try it once and not be stuck with it if I don't like it, and have the freedom to be a hair chameleon if I do enjoy it.
Anyone who uses Adore dyes(especially the red tones) did you find that they stained your hair at all, or were you able to wash it out completely?

Obsidian
August 23rd, 2018, 07:03 PM
I used cajun spice a few times to blend my roots when I didn't want to bother with henna. It always washed out but I never had more than 1/3 inch of roots. Not sure if it would stick a bit longer on ends. Maybe just do a strand on the underside to see how it does.

Longlegs
August 24th, 2018, 12:09 AM
Adore did'nt stain my hair, Alot of people have trouble getting it to stick to unbleached hair.

illicitlizard
August 24th, 2018, 01:37 AM
I've not used Adore dyes, but definitely do a test strand on the underside of your hair to see if it'll stain

Arciela
August 24th, 2018, 01:57 AM
When I wanted temp red color I used aveda madder root..it washed out pretty quick and didnt leave any stain :)

lapushka
August 24th, 2018, 04:36 PM
Maybe use a "regular" semi permanent (like Casting by L'Oréal); that *will* wash out.

browneyedsusan
August 24th, 2018, 05:00 PM
I'd do a strand behind your ear, or re-do your underlayer with the red. See how long it lasts, especially on the ends.
Recheck it in 6 weeks, and again in 3 months.

I like Manic Panic or Arctic Fox, but YMMV.
Tessar Goad on youtube has a little discount on Arctic Fox colors -- "tessarr"

Share pics if you give it a whirl! :)

Rhoward
August 25th, 2018, 12:30 AM
Adore dyes should wash out in theory. In reality it all depends on your hair type and colour, your hair looks pretty light in your signature so there is a chance it will stain, if it were me, I'd dilute the adore dye with conditioner (half and half), do a strand test on the underside of your hair with that mix and see if it washes out before doing your whole head. Direct dye is a risk for blondes/light brown

Kaoria
August 26th, 2018, 01:27 AM
Yeah I put Arctic Fox in my hair and it stuck like henna. Not budging at all. You could try a gloss with it though (couple of spoonfuls of arctic fox to a cup or so of conditioner), I did that before and it washed off pretty quickly.

Alternatively you could do a hibiscus tea rinse or something like that? Only deposits colour for a wash or two max.

Suortuva
August 27th, 2018, 11:52 AM
Maybe use a "regular" semi permanent (like Casting by L'Oréal); that *will* wash out.

Me and my best friend used lots of this stuff back in the days in different colours (I really loved the plum), and I can tell, it really doesn't wash completely, but this might be about hair type too.