PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions please

hannabiss
August 23rd, 2018, 08:04 AM
I had begun to grow my hair out again. When I had a wild urge to do a side shave. Which I look great with...but is a pain in the bum to grow out. I know I had said that I'd just let it get to APL and maintain for a year to least it all catch up. Which isnt a horrible idea. My hair isn't quite shoulder yet but very close. I wonder if maybe I should just maintain at shoulder. So I guess I'm asking if in everyone's opinion it would be better to letting the longer hair grow to Apl and maintain there or to maintain at shoulder. I realize at the end if the day that choice is mine. But options are welcome.

lapushka
August 23rd, 2018, 08:33 AM
How long is the rest of your hair? You didn't say? Or is it APL? And the rest shoulder? If so I would let the shoulder bits grow out to APL, and maybe then even it up. Why? Because shoulder is quite the awkward length.

hannabiss
August 23rd, 2018, 10:11 AM
In my original post I say its a bit above shoulder. But I wasn't very clear. The longest part is almost shoulder. The side shave part is about an inch long. I think I agree that I'll let it grow to APL and maintain there while the short part catches up. By the time the long part is APL the short part will be shoulder.

Corvana
August 23rd, 2018, 11:16 AM
Oof no go to APL! SL to APL for me took forever, and that's not even counting the time spent languishing there while I evened out layers from my mohawk. I wish I'd waited until APL when I could more easily put my hair up comfortably (and prettily hehe). Being able to throw it into a bun to ignore is so much easier! And to get the shorter bits to stay better, you can braid them to make it look like a fake side shave!

lapushka
August 23rd, 2018, 11:30 AM
In my original post I say its a bit above shoulder. But I wasn't very clear. The longest part is almost shoulder. The side shave part is about an inch long. I think I agree that I'll let it grow to APL and maintain there while the short part catches up. By the time the long part is APL the short part will be shoulder.

Oh my bad. Maybe I should have asked you first, right? ;)

I would still say the same, though, and it seems to be a good plan! :)

spidermom
August 23rd, 2018, 02:21 PM
I think shoulder is a great length and I'd maintain there.

Ylva
August 23rd, 2018, 03:20 PM
Personally I'd want to even it out as soon as possible, so catch up first and grow longer later. But if you can tolerate having uneven hair then it's not a problem. That's just me.

hannabiss
August 23rd, 2018, 04:24 PM
Thank you all. :) I'll get it to APL and just part my hair on the opposite side. That way the longer layers are hiding the shorter ones. And that way the bulk of my hair is longer. I agree the journey from shoulder to APL is agonizing!

leayellena
August 24th, 2018, 01:00 AM
I loved how my hair showed its real thickness and shape. Then I read on hairdresser blogs that I look like a blanket. I laughed out loud and grew my hair even longer.

Stray_mind
August 24th, 2018, 10:46 PM
I am in a simmilar dilemma. I have heavilly layered hair that is a little below Shoulder length now.

I have decided though that i will go to APL first and then start maintaining by trimming my hair every one or two months to get rid of the dye and even out my layers.

Shoulder is a rather awkward length, especially if your hair is thick (mine is medium thickness though)... You won't be able to do much with it, except for maybe a ponytail or a half up, or a peacock twist ...

Also as Corvana said, it takes a long time to go from shoulder to APL, for me it is one of the biggest milestones. Since i am short, going APL to BSL and BSL to waist takes much less time.