PDA

View Full Version : Braids and layers?

M.McDonough
August 23rd, 2018, 01:21 AM
Hi there

I'm think about getting layers. Is it easy braiding curly hair with layers?

Margarita
August 23rd, 2018, 04:55 AM
I dont see why not? I've had layers long ago(i had better curls back then) and my hair would braid really nice. Besides, layers define and help curls get even wurly. After the braid, your hair is gonna be really pretty with waves and curls :cool:

lapushka
August 23rd, 2018, 05:59 AM
Curly hair has nothing to do with it when braiding. Layers don't produce the same results as blunt cut ends do. That goes for any hair type. You quite possibly will have braid shred along the braid, depending on how it is layered up. :flower:

Reyn127
August 23rd, 2018, 10:16 AM
I don't have curly hair, but I do have some layers and I like to do braids. I don't think cutting in layers would make it much easier to braid, except considering the one factor that you have less hair to manage as you go further down. BUT - like lapushka said, you may have to deal with braid shredding (basically shorter bits poking out the side of the braid), which can be a little annoying if you want to manage a smooth look. Although it's not impossible to learn how to twist your strands a bit to tuck the shorter bits into the center of the braid as you go, it may not count as "easier" to deal with overall.

My recommendation is to start small if you do get layers, to get an idea of how your hair handles with them. Just get layers in the very ends and see if you like it!

M.McDonough
August 24th, 2018, 10:46 AM
Any more comments?

M.McDonough
August 24th, 2018, 02:19 PM
Why are layers cut exactly? Where are they cut and what length?

*Wednesday*
August 24th, 2018, 04:04 PM

They are cut to create volume and dimension. You can have at any lengthy. My opinion, looks best on thick hair. I have fine hair/ cobwebby hair and layered hair does not suit me.

lapushka
August 24th, 2018, 04:49 PM

I have layers to get less "weight" to my hair. That's me personally. I grew to waist and knew I couldn't grow much more all one length, so I had it layered and now am classic+. My shortest layer is now waist, and maybe the reason I never got past classic much has been that that layer couldn't move down much. But we'll see; it's going great with the growing.

Where are they cut? Depends on the exact cut. You can have long layers or short ones, it all depends on the style.

M.McDonough
August 25th, 2018, 03:55 AM
I think that's the best method I've found
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_bE6Em9nqk

M.McDonough
August 25th, 2018, 10:40 AM
wow the forum is dead haha

lapushka
August 25th, 2018, 12:54 PM
wow the forum is dead haha

Not exactly, but your question may not be something that people can easily answer. :flower:

nikittyy
September 21st, 2018, 04:13 PM
I have layers and still braid my hair! I've never noticed any negatives associated with it.

TarsusIV
September 21st, 2018, 09:03 PM
I've had fairly aggressive layers and they do poke out when I braid. It's not a super big deal, but it does get worse the longer your hair is in a braid, so when I finish an updo I hit it with just a little hairspray to encourage those short ends to stick in there.

cjk
September 21st, 2018, 11:04 PM
I find the sides are where my short frizzies occur the most. And a headband holds them in nicely, or some Bobby pins.

spidermom
September 22nd, 2018, 08:47 AM
I think that's the best method I've found
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_bE6Em9nqk

The little girl is such a cutie!

Are you planning to do the cut yourself or go to a salon?

I have layers and I braid. Hairs pop out all over the place, but guess what? They did when I had more of a blunt cut because of the shed and regrow cycle.

Alibran
September 22nd, 2018, 09:01 AM
My ends don't tend to poke out of braids very much. I put that down to having hair that really likes to hold onto itself.

Strawonaberry
September 22nd, 2018, 07:39 PM
I think curly hair is easier to braid than straight. My boyfriend has curly hair and I can do double french braids on his hair even at a very short length (think average guy who's gone a couple months without a haircut), mine on the contrary is straight and very thick so I need to have it long and blunt cut for braids