PDA

View Full Version : What is your winter hair care routine?

CaityBear
November 2nd, 2008, 06:45 PM
So, winter is nearing and I've noticed that usual dryness in my skin and hair. It's a bit of a pain in the butt, but I'm thinking I have to do some moisture treatments soon and oil more often.

What other kinds of things can I do to help moisturize my hair? And keep it from getting dried out.

teacher_mom2
November 2nd, 2008, 06:48 PM
My skin and hair get sooo dry in the winter. I have curly hair, so it is dry, anyway. I try to not make my baths too hot (althought I love a hot bath and a book). I am also going to try to exfoliate my skin more this winter. I think that makes it easier for moisturizing lotions to penetrate the skin.

meganb990
November 2nd, 2008, 07:01 PM
This might sound strange but I put watered down VO5 conditioner on the length of my hair not near the scalp area but the dried out ends. It seems to get soaked up almost instantly and makes my hair feel very soft and I oil the ends with coconut oil almost daily.

wintersun99
November 2nd, 2008, 07:16 PM

mommy101405
November 2nd, 2008, 08:09 PM
I switch to washing at night. That way my hair is totally dry before I go outside. I HATE cold weather and wet hair. I use a leave in if I get too much static.

plainjanegirl
November 2nd, 2008, 08:34 PM
I switch to washing at night. That way my hair is totally dry before I go outside. I HATE cold weather and wet hair. I use a leave in if I get too much static.

Do leave in conditioners help with static? I didn't know that....I'll have to remember.

Carolyn
November 2nd, 2008, 08:57 PM
I try to do more frequent SMT's and lightly oil the length more often. I'm more likely to wash at night in the winter. I'll be wearing my hair in a braid or bun anyways so it really doesn't matter.

vampodrama
November 3rd, 2008, 12:28 AM
Do leave in conditioners help with static? I didn't know that....I'll have to remember.

not necessarily, in my hair they make it 100000x worse. you'd just have to experiment and see what works for you.

Marie99
November 3rd, 2008, 02:59 AM
Try to cover it if its very cold and the wind is dry. Wear a scarf or something and tuck your hair inside your coat on bad days.

ChloeDharma
November 3rd, 2008, 04:32 AM
Usually in winter i just keep my hair heavily oiled and in a bun all the time. I used to mist daily too but where i live now is much colder so i tend to avoid wet hair unless i have to. It's pretty much the same all year round really, though i do blow dry in winter because of the shivering cold thing....but i do it very gently and stop before my hair is completely dry.

Curlsgirl
November 3rd, 2008, 12:03 PM
The thing that helps me with keeping my hair moisturized is a leave-in. I tend to use a lighter one in the summer like BWC Leave-in revitalizing conditioner and Biolage conditioning balm in the winter. Sometimes I use coconut oil on top of that.

aprilmay
November 3rd, 2008, 02:16 PM
I wash my hair less in the winter because I air dry and I hate having water dripping down my back when it is cold. I have been putting my clean wet hair up in a bun to avoid this so maybe I will wash more this year?

Haith
November 3rd, 2008, 06:10 PM
I live in Canada, so when winter comes I need to have an entire overhaul in my routine. It's started getting cold here, so I've made adjustments already. I need lots and lots of moisture, since all buildings are heated, and many with electric heat (the dryest). I do many more CO washes, and when I do use shampoo (only about once a week), I mix it with conditioner as well. I use a thicker conditioner on my length (in the summer I use plain ol' Suave, in the winter I switch to something like AO Honeysuckle Rose). I do rinses on days when I'm showering but my hair isn't dirty enough to jusify washing it. I have a little batch of Fox's conditioning cream that I whip up. I keep it with me and use a tiny bit if my hair starts to get static. Moisture is key for me during the winter.

mommy101405
November 3rd, 2008, 08:17 PM

It does for me but I guess its a trial and error thing.

Kirin
November 3rd, 2008, 08:56 PM
Sadly my hair drier sees the light of day in the winter. I shower in the mornings (i can't wake up without it!) but have an hour before leaving the house with my daughter. Wet hair and freezing temps are not good, so I blowdry gently using the cold setting.

Static and dryness is my enemy, so is my hair drying in the cold, ugh the dryness........... oy! I try to only conditioner wash, and use a mister bottle during the day when i'm home with water and conditioner and a few drops of oil to keep static down and keep my hair from completely turning to the sahara.

ladyshannonanne
November 3rd, 2008, 09:03 PM
It's so funny. I think for most people, winter hair is drier than other times of year hair. For me, in Southern California, where I only run my heater once or twice all year (I'm cheap and I prefer fuzzy socks) winter is actually the time of year when my hair is least dry. I'm in a quasi-desert climate, so my hair is drier during other parts of the year. Winter time is humid and fairly mild.

lyria
November 3rd, 2008, 10:00 PM
I always wash at night so my hair has a long time to dry before I do anything to it. Also, and this is key, I love my humidifier! :inlove: I highly recommend getting one (easily obtainable at a drugstore) and running it often! I am prone to nose bleeds in the winter :headache: - especially in NYC since it is less humid than home. The humidifier not only keeps me from getting nose bleeds, it helps all my skin and hair retain moisture better.

:blossom:(bonus: if you get the vicks one you can put scented oil where they recomend vicks medicine and it makes your room smell lovely - the instructions say not to put anything there, but i've been doing this for two years now and it works just fine).

jastark84
November 4th, 2008, 07:21 PM
I think tomorrow I'm going to try out leaving my conditoner in after combing out the gush, and see how that leaves my hair. It doesn't get cold in Florida until about January/Feb, so I have some time to figure out what works for my hair and what doesn't. I'm kind of excited to find one since I've never tried to do anything different in the winter than I do during the rest of the year. Then I might try some different oiling methods.

Friesiangirl
November 4th, 2008, 07:28 PM
I rarely get it wet, and I do lots of oil on the ends. Basically, in the morning, I brush it out, oil the ends every couple of days, put it up. Before bed, I take it down, comb and BBB and put it up for bed. I comb it just to get the sheddies out, they like to hide in my hair.

Hayley

carloota
November 4th, 2008, 07:38 PM
I wash my hair less in the winter because I air dry and I hate having water dripping down my back when it is cold.
Co-signing. I may mist my hair and seal it with oil for a bit of extra moisture, though.

jojo
November 4th, 2008, 07:53 PM
My hair seems to like winter more than summer as I get less frizz but i do use oil daily in winter opposed to once a week in summer, maybe this is why? I also grow so slow in summer and quicker in winter, well did last year time will tell!

Deborah
November 4th, 2008, 08:01 PM
"What is your winter hair care routine?"

Same as all the rest of the year.

ktani
November 4th, 2008, 08:28 PM
I adjust my catnip solution slightly to accomodate static, which I get, but not too much, now that I use longer treatment timing.

I use catnip on my face and hands too so dryness is a thing of the past.

Shorty89
November 4th, 2008, 08:34 PM

not necessarily, in my hair they make it 100000x worse. you'd just have to experiment and see what works for you.

I know that heavy cone conditioners make it worse but light or no cone ones seem to help. I noticed that keeping your house moisturized with a humidifier helps. Also, a mister and then running coconut oil over my wet/damp hair really helped. Damp updos for me gave my hair more moisture and less static.

Sammybunny711
November 5th, 2008, 05:26 AM
I just transition into showering at night instead of in the mornings. Since I am using CV poo bars that are full of oils, my hair seems to be super soft without conditioner and I also do a white vinegar rinse so hopefully my hair cuticle is protected that way...I need to get a satin pillowcase still...

Robbi Dehlinger
November 5th, 2008, 05:30 AM
Thanks for all this info!

Now that my ahir is long enough to have some of these issues, I trust I will not if I follow this advice!

mira-chan
November 5th, 2008, 09:22 AM
I wash less often in the winter, can go a couple of weeks between washes. I use more herbs and switch to oils that don't solidify (so no coconut oil in the winter.)

Teakafrog
November 5th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Switch to CO, and use more heavy leave-ins or oils.