PDA

View Full Version : Face Framing Layers

GrowlingCupcake
August 22nd, 2018, 09:02 PM
I really dislike the harshness around my face, and would like some face framing layers. How do you go about cutting them? How do I decide the longest/shortest lengths?

I want the shortest to hang out a bit when I bun my hair, but I don't know if I want the longest to just the where it is now, or to slowly blend in.

I don't plan on doing this till the new years but I like to research ahead of time xD

pailin
August 23rd, 2018, 07:42 AM
I cut mine myself so I had to do something that I can manage on my own. I don't have a hairdresser here I'd trust (caucasian hair, and I live in Asia - worse, a small town. Not their fault, they're just not used to hair like mine and how it will behave). So I kept it simple and basically cut some chin-length bangs, using torrinpaige's method. A hairdresser would do something more elegant, and it would look better to have them not basically all the same length, but it's really a big improvement for me. Having those bits around my face really softens things when I wear buns (most days), and it makes my round-ish face look thinner. I like to curl them around my finger before bed and basically make one pin curl, so in the morning it looks good. And if they annoy me I can still clip them out of the way.

lapushka
August 23rd, 2018, 08:40 AM
I really dislike the harshness around my face, and would like some face framing layers. How do you go about cutting them? How do I decide the longest/shortest lengths?

I want the shortest to hang out a bit when I bun my hair, but I don't know if I want the longest to just the where it is now, or to slowly blend in.

I don't plan on doing this till the new years but I like to research ahead of time xD

I would go to a hair dresser for those, they can be daunting if you want to cut them in yourself. But if you are quite handy with scissors, don't let me stop you.

Maybe chin to shoulder? Or chin? If you want bits hanging down from a bun, they would have to be short bits, no way you can have bits longer than shoulder hanging out of your hair without annoying the crap out of you. :)

windflowers_mel
August 23rd, 2018, 02:52 PM
My sister has very lovely straight waist length hair and she just cut in a layer about chin length that I think is really nice. She can wear that layer up or down if she likes and the ends frame her face.

LittleMac
August 23rd, 2018, 03:18 PM
If you're brave I would look up some videos on Youtube about cutting face framing layers. I cut my own layers from watching a video and they came out great!
I would suggest looking for a video featuring someone whose hair type is similar to yours, and with the results you're looking for, if possible.
I'd also recommend cutting them a little longer than you want at first, because you're going to need to get the hang, and because, just in case, you accidentally mess it up you can go to a pro and have them fix it without them coming out too short.

illicitlizard
August 24th, 2018, 01:39 AM
If you're brave I would look up some videos on Youtube about cutting face framing layers. I cut my own layers from watching a video and they came out great!
I would suggest looking for a video featuring someone whose hair type is similar to yours, and with the results you're looking for, if possible.
I'd also recommend cutting them a little longer than you want at first, because you're going to need to get the hang, and because, just in case, you accidentally mess it up you can go to a pro and have them fix it without them coming out too short.

That's some good advice, you can always cut more off, but you can't stick it back on again if you screw it up �� I think a good length for face framing layers is definitely around chin. Any longer and it looks like you're trying to grow them out IMO.

LittleMac
August 25th, 2018, 02:46 AM
That's some good advice, you can always cut more off, but you can't stick it back on again if you screw it up �� I think a good length for face framing layers is definitely around chin. Any longer and it looks like you're trying to grow them out IMO.

I second that. I think a few wispy layers hitting around the jaw and cheekbone look fantastic. They add depth and natural contouring by creating shadows.

GrowlingCupcake
August 25th, 2018, 10:41 AM
I think I may end up going to a hair dresser. Has anyone tried methods from specific YouTube videos, and had good success with it?

Alila
August 25th, 2018, 01:55 PM
I like my face framing pieces to be about collarbone length. When I make a bun I do need to make sure that I dont accidently bun them but when I braid my hair they usually slip out by themselves.

I tried chin length once and I really didnt like it because my hair would curl slightly and that just looked akward. I could have fixed it with a blow dryer or a hair straightener but I'm to lazy for that. That's just me though.

I like a layered look.
I cut my face framing pieces by taking the amout of hair I want to use. Then I pull the hair forward at about an 80 percent angle and cut the ends of straight (90 percent angle between the sissors and the hair strands). That sounds complicated but that's how a hairdresser cuts layers as well. I'm sure there is a youtube video out there that shows the process.

The angle that you use when you pull your hair forward determines how large the layers are. A larger angle creates a larger difference between the shortest and the longest layer.

To make sure both sides are even I compare the shortest layers and the longest layeres.

If you want to try doing it yourself I'd advise you to make rather small and long face framing pieces at first. You can then cut more if you want.

GrowlingCupcake
September 29th, 2018, 04:23 AM
Giving this a bump.

I've decided to go to a salon after winter (April/May) to get some face framing layers put in. I was hoping for some pictures that you think could work with my face. My face is mostly large (compared to the general population), and round. I don't want too much hair to be used in these, as I want to keep most of it long. It takes me a long time to do research - over six months before I decided on an engagement ring - so I'm hoping to slowly start now.

Bangs are a no.