PDA

View Full Version : Just need a boost

Ardyn
August 22nd, 2018, 10:15 AM
Disclaimer: I know I’m being daft.

I started a job after cutting my waist length hair to a pixie for the first time. Obviously, no one there knows me as being “long haired” (you know what I mean, the sort of “identity” part of having particularly long hair?) which is new to me. I’ve always been the long haired one haha.

In in some ways, it is easier that folk here met me with my pixie cut because people don’t ask “Do you regret cutting it?” (Yes) “Why did you do that?” (Impulse) “omg your HAAAAIIIRRR IS GONE” (😭)

But today someone was discussing cutting their hair and someone said “Short like Ardyn* short?”

Obviously this is fine. I have short hair now. But for some reason, it hurt? I think because I’ve been trying to console myself saying it’s grown loads in 3.5 months (it hasn’t. I don’t think I’ll hit shoulders by December as hoped...)

It’s so silly. I know. But it just hit me again how long I have to go before I have my long hair back. And part of me is scared that it won’t grow as long again, that my terminal length might have changed. I dunno. I guess I just feel so silly and you guys are the only folk who don’t tell me “it’s just hair for crying out loud!”

My boyfriend even said the other day that he wishes I’d never done it, not because it looks bad, but because it’s upset me so much. I think he’s tired of me going on about it hah.

elfynity
August 22nd, 2018, 10:45 AM
Aah Ardyn! I It's like it isn't just hair, it's more like years of dedication and effort, and it was your hair. It will grow back in a few years, and time flies by so fast. Can I ask why you wanted to cut your hair in the first place?

zashin66
August 22nd, 2018, 11:08 AM
Disclaimer: I know I’m being daft.

I started a job after cutting my waist length hair to a pixie for the first time. Obviously, no one there knows me as being “long haired” (you know what I mean, the sort of “identity” part of having particularly long hair?) which is new to me. I’ve always been the long haired one haha.

In in some ways, it is easier that folk here met me with my pixie cut because people don’t ask “Do you regret cutting it?” (Yes) “Why did you do that?” (Impulse) “omg your HAAAAIIIRRR IS GONE” (😭)

But today someone was discussing cutting their hair and someone said “Short like Ardyn* short?”

Obviously this is fine. I have short hair now. But for some reason, it hurt?

I don't think you are being daft.....just honest with your self........I love that you know where to turn for support(!!!!!)
I have turned to this forum many times and always received great support. Sometimes I got supportive comments that touched me so much and then I realized I was actually needing support and didn't know it until I received it. We are an understanding group.
I am sorry to report that it does take time to regrow the hair..... (small chuckle) My hair has been growing in spurts. I think it stops when I'm stressed and starts up again inbetween. It has been an incredibly stressful year for me involving lawyers, doctors, surgery, child with new disease, moving and job security. Lots of chaos.
Advice to leave or take as you desire
*enjoy the short flirty style
*enjoy the less cost (i.e. conditioners, shampoos, hair toys...)
* enjoy the new comments as your coworkers see you grow out to incredible lengths and wonder at "how did she do that?"

In September, 2012 I had a pixie cut https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=33052&d=1534958521

and now I have grown out a bit;););)
( I was also trying out a temporary washout red color.)
Happy growing..........

lapushka
August 22nd, 2018, 11:16 AM
If you grew for 3.5 months, that's no longer short-short, and I would not cut back but continue to grow.

Also, I think people may be "remembering" you with very short hair, basing what they say on that fact.

Happy growing, who knows you might hit your milestone as foreseen. :flower: I'm willing to bet you will!

Dark40
August 22nd, 2018, 12:36 PM
Yeah, I agree with elfynity. On here or in real life I can't just say, "it's hair," and it will grow back. Because, my hair grows slower than others. I have a girlfriend from high school that had hip length almost tailbone length hair, and she had chopped hers off all of the way up to BSL! And, I noticed within a 3 month period her hair had grown all of the way back down to her hips in 3 months! I was in total shock, and I had figured it out that she had grown 3 or 4 inches of hair in 3 months. Because, we are both the same height. Don't worry time passes so fast! You will have your hair back in no time! :)

PurpleEyedOwl
August 22nd, 2018, 04:19 PM
I get you, I cut my hair really short around the same time as you. I oscillate between "it's not growing fast enough!" and "Wow! My hair has grown a lot!" as well.

I think you'll get to a length you're reasonably happy with before you know it to be honest. It's just that the awkward stage is rough and you want it be over with as soon as possible, haha!

You've got this, my dear!

-A fellow shortie

Five of Five
August 22nd, 2018, 04:30 PM
It is definitely not silly!

Perhaps the reason why the comment was so (unintentionally) wounding is that you still see yourself as a long-haired person at heart, but comments like these show that others do not.

I really do believe that long hair is a state of mind as much as a physical attribute. It's all about patience and attention to small habits, which you've already proven you have in attaining waist length. It will grow back and then your outside will match your inside.

In the meantime, enjoy the benefits of shorter hair while you can!

spidermom
August 22nd, 2018, 05:24 PM
I've done it in the past, I regretted it, and I don't think you're being silly at all. However, people who say "it's just hair" do have a point. You're not stuck with one mistake forever because it keeps on growing (with rare exception). Try to enjoy your hair right now. There are a lot of advantages to having short hair, and you probably won't have it again for a very long time, if ever, judging by how you feel right now. So focus on the positive as much as you can, look for new styles to try, new accessories to use, and grow-grow-grow.

illicitlizard
August 22nd, 2018, 07:14 PM
I've had a similar experience, started a new Uni just after I cut my hair short for the first time ever and it's so weird being known as 'that girl with short hair'. I'm not used to it at all. It's really not just hair, it's a great way to express ones self and especially if you know you prefer a longer length, there's a weird disconnect.

Hopefully you can somewhat enjoy the shorter stages and all the good they bring, even if it doesn't feel great at the moment. Luckily it will grow back and you will be able to reach your goal length, it just takes time. Also, I don't think it's silly at all to be attached to your hair, especially if it's comforting to have long hair for you. I know I've felt quite vulnerable without any hair to hide behind! You'll get through it :)

Lizabeth94
August 22nd, 2018, 10:53 PM
So I'm growing my hair out from a pixie, getting close to collarbone length now, and its reached a new awkwardness stage where I'm feeling tempted to cut it. Then last night I have a rather vivid nightmare about cutting it back to a pixie, and then woke up in tears thinking I had really cut my hair, and was so relieved when I realized it was a dream. Even though I enjoyed my pixie when I had it, i think my internal feeling is that I would regret it if I cut it.

Anyway, don't feel bad or give up, your hair will grow, and don't take it as a negative thing when they referred to your short hair, take it as a compliment, and remember that people have different definitions of what is short and long so don't take anything personally. Recently my mom told me my shoulder length hair was too long and I should cut it, and I found it hurtful too, like "no its not long, not even close my by definitions, and I certainly don't want to cut it." Try to find something positive about your short hair (like how little time it takes to dry after you shower or swim). Or how light it feels.

Ardyn
August 23rd, 2018, 12:16 AM
Thanks for all the lovely comments guys �� I was feeling super raw about it but you have all cheered me up. ��