PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Change it Up Hair Trigger? Did you go with it or fight it?

OhSuzi
August 22nd, 2018, 07:57 AM
Watched Mama Mia 2 yesterday and fell in love with 'the young Meryl Streep' characters hair, my hair was a bit like that in my youf ..... perhaps I should get bleached honey highlights again.

No! I mentally fight with myself - it will damage it - you promised no bleach, no dyes, no drastic cuts at least til your hair has grown to the desired length - then maybe you can consider doing stuff to it. You will still look like you and not Lilly James, remember previous blonde attempts have been 50 /50 great/awful and they always lead to more dye and damaged hair that will need a chop in the end.

Do you have a wobble when your pal gets pink dreads and they look amazing, or your fave celebrity gets a new hairstyle makeover or you look at old pic of when your hair was bright red / permed / shaved!

Do you get it tangled in your hand bag strap and think enough is enough time for a chop!

What's your trigger and did you change it up and love it / regret it

Or do you have will power of iron - how did you remind yourself you already have a hair growth /grow out all the dye goal?

spidermom
August 22nd, 2018, 08:08 AM
When my hair is bothering me in some way, I want to cut it. I grew it to classic by reminding myself that it's good practice to set a goal and do everything it takes to achieve the goal. I told myself it would be good practice for the more important issues, and it has been. Right now it's APL and I've set a goal for waist length. Otherwise I'd get it cut.

illicitlizard
August 22nd, 2018, 08:37 AM
I usually go with it :) I've done some pretty drastic cuts/colours in my life, a few pretty big chops. Never regretted one though, because I tend to think about big changes for several months before committing. Also it's usually based internally, like something about my hair bothers me or I want to experiment with purple rather than 'a trend looks cool on other people time to change my entire look'. I don't mind setting goals, but also have no trouble changing my goals before reaching them if I change as a person.

lapushka
August 22nd, 2018, 08:48 AM
In short: no. I'm not influenced by things like this anymore. Not when I finally (September 2015) reached classic for the first time. I cut back November 2016 due to an itch of my own (no influences) and regretted it, so grew back out to classic June 2018. So yeah... I think once you hit classic all virgin it's more about your length than any outside influences.

TreesOfEternity
August 22nd, 2018, 08:59 AM
Right now I want long hair so so bad that nothing would really change my mind. Seeing others with fringe can make me think about having one myself or not but there’s no point on that because I’ve learnt to apreciate things on others while understanding it doesn’t have to necessarily look good on me/be my style/compliment myself or my lifestyle.

Stray_mind
August 22nd, 2018, 09:18 AM
Me: Hey, that short hair style really looks cute and edgy! Maybe i should get my hair cut like that!

Me to myself: Don't even go there....

Lol.

windflowers_mel
August 22nd, 2018, 11:15 AM
For me it's always springtime. Something about warmer weather makes me itchy to cut. I've cut my hair every spring for as long as I can remember. I just joined here and hoping to push past that in 2019.

samanthaa
August 22nd, 2018, 11:41 AM
I really love the look of a long bob, like just above collarbone. I've been having thoughts about chopping for a while (perhaps my trigger is that my virgin hair is just about at shoulder length now?), but I'd say they're more of a sincere interest than a trigger.

Honestly, I have more long-hair triggers than I have chop triggers. I see someone with beautiful long hair, and even though I have long hair, I instantly get this pang of...desire, almost jealously. No. Not almost. Jealously. It's jealously, and it tells me that I would miss my long hair more than I would enjoy a short cut.

When it is time for me to chop my hair, if that day ever comes, I am confident that I will be ready for it, that I won't have this jealously that tells me I'm not ready. It's almost like I see myself as having a "right time" for short hair, if that makes sense. I've grown/outgrown so many things in my life, maybe long hair will be one of those things down the line.

I think also because I hennaed my hair for so long and disliked both the time-consuming application process and the burgundy color on me, I now appreciate my virgin hair, so even if I momentarily find myself thinking that color might be fun, I know that I appreciate my virgin hair so much more than the excitement of something new.

ETA: spidermom, I really appreciate and agree with your philosophy about goal setting.

MoonRabbit
August 22nd, 2018, 11:47 AM
Sometimes when I have my hair down I begin to really observe the color and overall dullness of it. It no longer has that fresh glossy look of a new dye job or sleek no tangle feel from heat tools. But I try to remind myself those things will only mask what is really going on underneath. I don't think my hair will ever be super shiny and manageable but I will keep pushing on to have it as healthy as possible.

TreesOfEternity
August 22nd, 2018, 12:54 PM
Sometimes when I have my hair down I begin to really observe the color and overall dullness of it. It no longer has that fresh glossy look of a new dye job or sleek no tangle feel from heat tools. But I try to remind myself those things will only mask what is really going on underneath. I don't think my hair will ever be super shiny and manageable but I will keep pushing on to have it as healthy as possible.

Something we have to keep in mind is that our profile pictures are just perfect shots with perfect lightning on a really good hair day haha, at least my hair doesn’t look like my avatar 100% of the time and that’s ok. It’s organic, having bad hair days make me appreciate more the good ones.

nycelle
August 22nd, 2018, 01:58 PM
I have no problem cutting or coloring my hair if that's what I want to do. I mean at the end of the day, hair is supposed to enhance our appearance - so if that means cutting, coloring, layering or whatnot, I'm not opposed to any of it.

Right now I want to grow my hair to waist, that's it, that's my priority. Once it's there, I'm not gonna leave it alone.
I don't want my hair all one length, and I don't like the grays I'm starting to get. So once it's at waist, I'll decide what to do with it. I'll probably color and will either get bangs, or face framing layers.

My point is, I love styled hair so everything's a trigger..lol..

leayellena
August 23rd, 2018, 12:04 AM
1. it all ends in tears when it comes to hairdressers. period!
2. tired of waking up looking like a rooster. every. single. morning.
3. love how quick I can nautilus my hair at this length.
4. I don´t worry about my updo looking too bold because when the wind blows some of my new growth will frame my face somehow.
5. the costs! I mean I pay for my conditioner 2.50 euro max! + my hair oil another 2.50 euro but my conditioner lasts for 2 months and my oil for 1 year! no color, no paying extra for hairdresser´s mistake(s)... go figure. ;)
6. my hair is not just "long". it IS long!
7. never was and never will be the one falling for trends. I´m fed up since childhood. nothing fits on my lifestyle except simplicity and minimalism.
8. laughing (#sorrynotsorry) everytime someone complains after following a trend...

these and many more reasons keep my mind sane... well away from mainstream ;)

psyc2321
August 23rd, 2018, 07:21 AM
I used to change my hair dramatically as a "reset" during major changes in my life. The last time I really did this was 2006, when I ended an abusive relationship, and cut my hair from hip to jaw, and dyed it fire-engine red (I had been dying it before this, but fairly "sensible" colours) to mark my escape. I had been wanting to cut it back to waist for months, and my partner at the time forbade me - so it was a big middle finger to him.

Didn't take me long to realise that this was a stupid way to punish someone who wasn't even going to see what I'd done - I moved interstate at the same time - and now I was left with a high-maintenance hairstyle that I didn't really want. Now, when I feel the need for a clean break, I make myself do something less irreversible. I buy vege dyes, or change the parting of my fringe, or switch from a blunt cut to a V hemline, and remind myself that, bad hair days notwithstanding, my hair is my favourite feature and I would definitely miss it. If I'm still tempted to chop it, I look at photos of myself in early 2007. It was one of the most carefree periods of my life, but I look kinda sad in every photo, because I hate how my hair looks. Do I want to do that again?

Do I heck.

Natashap
August 23rd, 2018, 07:38 AM
1. it all ends in tears when it comes to hairdressers. period!
2. tired of waking up looking like a rooster. every. single. morning.
3. love how quick I can nautilus my hair at this length.
4. I don´t worry about my updo looking too bold because when the wind blows some of my new growth will frame my face somehow.
5. the costs! I mean I pay for my conditioner 2.50 euro max! + my hair oil another 2.50 euro but my conditioner lasts for 2 months and my oil for 1 year! no color, no paying extra for hairdresser´s mistake(s)... go figure. ;)
6. my hair is not just "long". it IS long!
7. never was and never will be the one falling for trends. I´m fed up since childhood. nothing fits on my lifestyle except simplicity and minimalism.
8. laughing (#sorrynotsorry) everytime someone complains after following a trend...

these and many more reasons keep my mind sane... well away from mainstream ;)

Love what you said!

My tangled hair because of split ends and major neglect in not combing everyday is making me rethink about length.

My hair is not colored or heat treated in past 5 years.

Still have issues.

Chromis
August 23rd, 2018, 08:18 AM
I super do not understand this "major hair changes" thing as some sort of whim. I never liked short hair any of the times I have had it though, which is a major difference. When my normal updos stop working well my version of changing things up is to investigate new updos and new hair tools.

It's much easier to change my clothing!

Corvana
August 23rd, 2018, 11:26 AM
When it gets annoying! Long before I found LHC I kept my hair between shoulder and waist (usually BSL though), and would cut it back to shoulder at about the same length every time and for the same reason: I only ever did my hair in like four ways! Down, double half-up pigtails, double pigtails, and then pigtail pony-buns (where you don't pull your hair all the way through the last loop?). And I'd do them all every week as I got closer and closer to wash day again. So as my hair grew the pony-buns would get bigger until they got to the point where they were brushing my shoulders all the time and annoying me. And that's usually when I'd cut back to shoulder!

As those are no longer my go-to styles, I think I'll manage to grow past that annoyance :laugh:.

I do sometimes long for henna, but I've been scared off for sure by the straightening side effect!

EC
August 23rd, 2018, 12:17 PM
Love long hair... Because mine is a religious conviction, I don't give it a thought. Before it was though... I went to a very expensive and exclusive salon, valet parking and was willing to pay the price... It was my High School graduation.. So with picture in hand of what I wanted... I came out .. Butchered and burned.. Literally... They assigned a beginner to me... It was awful,they didn't charge me, had more experienced hair stylist trying to save me...help!! and told me to come back the next day to fix it... I was a devastated... Hair totally frizzed... Never went to a hairstylist again. Over the years When I would accompany my mom to her hairdressers.. They always wanted to cut my hair... Never let them get close...

ReadingRenee
August 23rd, 2018, 03:25 PM
I have many hair triggers. If someone I know gets a cute cut. If an actress in a movie or a show has an amazing pixie or bob. Looking at old pictures of myself with short hair. When I see someone on you tube with adorable bangs or a cut...

For me, unfortunately so far once the trigger is triggered, it is triggered forever. I will put it off and not act on it and even do the six month rule, but if what I saw really made me think that I would be happier with the hair I saw on someone else, I will eventually do it. So, I got triggered for a bob about a year ago, but I didn't cut it until a few months ago. Now I am growing it out again. I have to say though, I never get triggered on color. I dyed my hair so much in my younger years and the last time I dyed my hair about 4 years ago, I was so unhappy with it and how it made my hair feel and look over time, that I have no interest in dyeing my hair, no matter what kind of hair color I see on others. I actually really like my natural hair color and have finally made peace with it.

So, maybe the moral of the story is that I need to be happier with MY current hair, no matter what state it is. :)

MusicalSpoons
August 23rd, 2018, 04:56 PM
I super do not understand this "major hair changes" thing as some sort of whim. I never liked short hair any of the times I have had it though, which is a major difference. When my normal updos stop working well my version of changing things up is to investigate new updos and new hair tools.

It's much easier to change my clothing!

I could have written this except the part about having had short hair. I actually wanted layers for a couple of years, in the mistaken belief that it would give my hair some wave and body, even picking out pictures of hairstyles I really liked. Thankfully the hairdresser (family friend, still does everyone else's hair in the family, and the only person to have ever been allowed near my hair with scissors :grin: ) kept telling me how short she'd have to cut it for it to look any good, and asking if I really wanted it. Turns out I wanted long hair more than layers and never had the courage to go through with it! I eventually put in some face-framing bits and some 'shaping' of the hemline myself - still regretting it - but that's all. I've always been a longhair, even before I knew anything about haircare.

The wackiest stray thoughts to cross my mind recently have been to think about a streak of veg dye - but I'm not willing to take the risk of it staining my hair even if I really wanted to try it - or to try cassia or sedr. There are so many buns I haven't mastered, and a large proportion of the hairtoys in my collection I only use in one style, that I can't possibly get bored!

leayellena
August 24th, 2018, 12:57 AM
When it gets annoying! Long before I found LHC I kept my hair between shoulder and waist (usually BSL though), and would cut it back to shoulder at about the same length every time and for the same reason: I only ever did my hair in like four ways! Down, double half-up pigtails, double pigtails, and then pigtail pony-buns (where you don't pull your hair all the way through the last loop?). And I'd do them all every week as I got closer and closer to wash day again. So as my hair grew the pony-buns would get bigger until they got to the point where they were brushing my shoulders all the time and annoying me. And that's usually when I'd cut back to shoulder!

As those are no longer my go-to styles, I think I'll manage to grow past that annoyance :laugh:.

I do sometimes long for henna, but I've been scared off for sure by the straightening side effect!
Hey try some updos like the cinnabun or the beebutt. You can also try braids... just to see if u can... braid your hair.

Love what you said!

My tangled hair because of split ends and major neglect in not combing everyday is making me rethink about length.

My hair is not colored or heat treated in past 5 years.

Still have issues.
Hmm have you tried s&d? Flipped braids so your ends stay protected?
Maybe your comb is not good anymore? Had a lot of damage because of an old comb

Arciela
August 24th, 2018, 02:04 AM
For most of my life I bleached my hair blonde so for a long time it was all I knew. Hay like tattered hair that didn't grow much and looked like velcro lol I thought I just had unsightly hair. Back in 2011 I got sick of it and just said forget it..I'll let me natural hair color grow out , it did and its this pretty auburn shade. It's so much easier to take care of and looks SO much better than the blonde damaged mess.

Now whenever I see pretty blonde hair (or whatever color) I admire it but have no interest in messing with my own hair. I hate the "dyed" feeling and I HATE the upkeep. Forget it..I don't get tempted by anything anymore, laziness always wins and my own unique virgin color haha.

JennGalt
August 24th, 2018, 02:06 AM
I don’t really get much of an itch. My mom insisted on chopping my hair off as a child and I’ve been vehemently opposed to chops ever since. I dislike going to hairdressers, since they seems to have some strange ideas about the length of an inch. I can’t dye my hair because it is off black; I tried bleaching it as a teen, and it weirdly stayed about the same color. I’ve never had good results from a relaxer, either.

I might try a deposit only dye someday to see if I can get a cooler shade of black, but seeing as I’d likely be the only person who’d notice a difference, that itch isn’t particularly strong. Otherwise, I will have to wait ‘til I start getting some greys to play around with color.

*Wednesday*
August 24th, 2018, 05:44 PM
No! Not tempted in the least to cut. Meh...some people view hair as an accessory

Crna Kosa
August 25th, 2018, 01:39 AM
I think bob hairstyle looks really cute on some people and really bold on some. It is one of my favourite lengths, maybe even favourite but I still know that if I cut it it wil never grow and I still aspire to have long hair. I would really love if my hair was black so sometimes I look at the dyes in supermarket which are black-blue color and wish that was my hair color. I really love dark hair, but my hair is medium brown.

Joules
August 25th, 2018, 02:22 AM
I can get an itch to cut when my ends get too damaged and annoying. Even then I don't really want to cut, I'm just irritated, and S&D helps a lot. I had only one drastic cut that wasn't really needed (a.k.a. wasn't an attempt to correct previous haircutting mistakes), but at that moment I was going through weird times and I thought a big chop would psychologically reset me and make me happier. Nope, didn't help, before that I was sad because of certain things, and after the chop I was sad because of certain things and because I lost half of my hair. I liked it short, but I did't love it enough for it to be worth years of growing back. So no more haircutting therapy sessions for me.

Other than that, I've never been influenced by anything in my life. Hair-wise that is. I've never colored my hair with chemical dyes in my life, never even wanted to. At first I was too young to do it, and when I got to the age when my friends started to experiment, I was already obsessed with health of my hair. I used to blowdry my hair straight fairly often, like, once a month (lol), but when I decided to take really really good care of my hair, I just forgot about heat. It's never been hard or anything, I've never got an itch to do something, on the contrary, whenever I have events coming up and my mom suggests heat styling, I start panicking, because I don't want to do it at all.

Even when I decided to dye my hair with henna it wasn't an itch or anything. I hennaed my hair at the age of 23, I'd been thinking about it for 6 years before I dyed it, and it was almost spontaneous. I told my then boyfriend that I was considering dying my hair red with henna, he said "great idea!" and bought me a bar of henna from Lush. Well, ok, I guess I had to do it after that :D I never hated my natural color, but I do love my hennaed hair more, if that makes sense.

humble_knight
August 26th, 2018, 08:40 AM
I chopped my hair into a bob, again, after months of frustration with my hair. The unusually hot English summer we had did not help matters, and my hair kept getting into awful tangles. Hair on one's head is a constant learning process and journey, isn't it? I'll see what happens next summer and if I can resist any temptation to chop in 2019.

Rebeccalaurenxx
August 26th, 2018, 12:05 PM
Honestly, I just feel so ugly and that tends to be the trigger for me.
When my self esteem is really low, its really hard to have hair that - well - doesnt get styled.
As much as yall love updos and braids and hair toys and whatever - those things make me feel ugly and plain.
I dont wear make up at all, so hair that just sits and has no style just does not work for me at all.
Its just not my style and not what makes me feel good about myself, at all. It makes me feel ugly.

but honestly, its my hair, im not going to let a forum decide for me what to do with my body at the end of the day.
oh no ive been ~triggered~ what will i do, lmao. i cant do anything, gotta keep the hands off!!

i love long hair but if i constantly have to feel like im ugly and crap like that, im going to do what i want...
its not like the damage or split ends are going to go away, they were there when i was nice to my hair so what is the difference?
lol like no matter what i have splits so might as well be the color i want it to be... damage is inevitable, stopping yourself from doing things that make you happy is dumb.

so i went back to chemical color. i wont layer my hair again simply because it doesnt suit my hair type.
but i like dark hair. it makes me feel good about myself. if feeling ugly is a trigger then so be it, im not plain.
oh well.

cjk
August 26th, 2018, 12:31 PM
When I'm in the mood to change, I change. But I wait long enough to make sure it isn't just a whim.

I once cut off half my beard due to damage. But contemplated the decision for over 2 months.

Since you mentioned color, I'm not opposed to color. Might even do some weird colors for anime conventions. But it will be temporary colors that don't hurt my hair, long term.

nycelle
August 26th, 2018, 04:48 PM
Honestly, I just feel so ugly and that tends to be the trigger for me.
When my self esteem is really low, its really hard to have hair that - well - doesnt get styled.
As much as yall love updos and braids and hair toys and whatever - those things make me feel ugly and plain.
I dont wear make up at all, so hair that just sits and has no style just does not work for me at all.
Its just not my style and not what makes me feel good about myself, at all. It makes me feel ugly.

but honestly, its my hair, im not going to let a forum decide for me what to do with my body at the end of the day.
oh no ive been ~triggered~ what will i do, lmao. i cant do anything, gotta keep the hands off!!

i love long hair but if i constantly have to feel like im ugly and crap like that, im going to do what i want...
its not like the damage or split ends are going to go away, they were there when i was nice to my hair so what is the difference?
lol like no matter what i have splits so might as well be the color i want it to be... damage is inevitable, stopping yourself from doing things that make you happy is dumb.

so i went back to chemical color. i wont layer my hair again simply because it doesnt suit my hair type.
but i like dark hair. it makes me feel good about myself. if feeling ugly is a trigger then so be it, im not plain.
oh well.

I'm not a fan of most updos and braids so I wear mine down most of the time. For a work meeting it goes up. When I'm too lazy to wash it, it goes in a messy bun- that's it for me. I'm sure I've caused damage by wearing it down but I'm fine with it.
Like I said in an earlier post, just waiting for my hair to get to waist then I'm gonna decide on the cut I want and may finally have the balls to color it auburn.

I'm glad you did what makes you happy, that's really what it's about in the end.

Sid0rela
August 27th, 2018, 06:49 AM
i love change, and i get bored easly.
i also love the feeling after a cut. all of these qualities are formulas for disaster.
i wanna have long hair, but i envy bob hair. when i get the bob i want a "v" shaped cut, and then a "u" shaped.
mostly i get a cut itch, its rare having a color itch since im growing my natural virgin hair.
i was waiting to cut my hair in october, because my last cut was april 19, but i think i will cut it this friday..

Lady Stardust
August 29th, 2018, 06:32 PM
My trigger in the past has been damage, usually caused by dye or sun damage, or by products that I didn’t realise were so harsh (Lush!).

When I’ve decided that I’ve had enough, I’ll spend some time looking at pictures to decide how I want to have my hair cut, and I love the process. It’s exciting, it feels liberating.

However...this is the first time I’ve tried growing my hair with a decent hairdresser on my side, who only trims how much I ask her, so I see a steady rate of growth. I’ve tried growing without trims before and it was a disaster. I’m also more aware that a certain section of my hair will always suffer, no matter how much TLC I give it, so now I know not to trim the rest just because that section doesn’t look it’s best.

I’m currently growing out henna, and I worry that I’ll get fed up with the two tone look. I’m hoping that I’ll be able to deal with that by way of funky updos. I love the henna so I’m more likely to dye the roots than to chop off the henna, but objectively I think I should stick with the growing out process...we’ll see.

lemonlife
August 29th, 2018, 06:51 PM
For cuts: Usually the weather. Triple digit heat. If I make it through the early fall heat/fire season, I'm usually safe.

For color: ...I have impulse control issues here. No specific trigger... I deeply love having colorful hair. I feel more like myself than with my natural dark brown hair. I am liking on some level that I'm getting more white hairs though. Once I'm no longer worried about it affecting my career, I'm probably going gray & doing the bluing thing my grandma did (She made her salt/pepper more steel blue with bluing- when she went overboard it had straight up blue & I LOVED IT).

Edit to add: Currently fighting both urges.