PDA

View Full Version : Straight canopy, waves underneath - forever?

Lady Stardust
August 21st, 2018, 04:51 AM
Hello all, I’m hoping you can help me understand something.

The top layer/canopy of my hair is 1b. The underneath is at least 1c, possibly even going into 2a. The waves are coming out more as my hair gets longer.

I know that it’s common to have different hair types but I wonder if anyone has ever found that their straighter sections gained more wave, with more moisture or a change to routine, growing out dye etc.

The canopy bears the brunt of environmental damage - much as I try to protect it - so it will not be as moisturised as the underneath. I’ve been giving the canopy extra conditioning to help alleviate this.

Also, I have done multiple henna applications, and I know henna can straighten the hair. This would obviously apply to the underneath as well, but my wave pattern starts from about the ears down, so most of the wavy bits are still short, as my hair is collarbone length. The hair from the bottom half of my skull won’t have as much henna as the canopy, which comes from the crown.

When my hair is wet, the canopy is wavy. I got rained on the other day and my hair dried into strong bumpy 1c waves, including the canopy. So, I know it can do it in the right conditions! Shame about the frizz from the rain though :)

I’m growing out the henna anyway, so I might see a difference from that. Soft water brings out my waves, but not on the canopy. I have a feeling that the straight canopy will always be straight, but I’d be interested to hear anyone’s experience about changes they experienced, or whether you just work with the different textures.

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
August 21st, 2018, 05:43 AM
My hair is the opposite- the canopy and around my face is curlier and coarser, and the underlayer is silkier feeling and barely wavy. No amount of babying my hair and doing everything I can to protect it from the sun, etc. changed that. :shrug:
Maybe you could do the straighter section of your hair in a braid while it dries, so it'll dry with braid waves?

Lady Stardust
August 21st, 2018, 06:04 AM
My hair is the opposite- the canopy and around my face is curlier and coarser, and the underlayer is silkier feeling and barely wavy. No amount of babying my hair and doing everything I can to protect it from the sun, etc. changed that. :shrug:
Maybe you could do the straighter section of your hair in a braid while it dries, so it'll dry with braid waves?

Hi, thanks for replying! It’s interesting to hear that nothing has made a difference.

Yes braid waves are a good idea, thanks! I might be able to manage them - I had a head injury 3 months ago and it’s still painful so any manipulation on the top of my head is best avoided, so I haven’t been able to do buns to add waves to the top layer. Plaits are a bit easier to do without aggravating the injury though.

It would be nice to be able to create waves that match the 1c waves I get after they’re finger combed out - they go like a bumpy slide. I’m not sure how I could do that though. I would just leave it as is but it looks ridiculous- the straight bits sit at a tangent to the waves and it looks like I’ve slept in a hedge.

Lady Stardust
August 21st, 2018, 06:25 AM
Here are a couple of pictures. It’s hard to see the definition with dark hair but you can see which locks are straight, they hang down about an inch lower at the back!

https://imgur.com/a/bX7YreT

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
August 21st, 2018, 07:09 AM
Here are a couple of pictures. It’s hard to see the definition with dark hair but you can see which locks are straight, they hang down about an inch lower at the back!

https://imgur.com/a/bX7YreT

Oh I like your texture- you've got like a tousled mermaid hair thing going on! As far as the straight part hanging down lower, maybe see if you can find a stylist who will cut it dry. Like the same principal as a deva cut for curly hair...
I don't think it looks bad at all as is though!

Xlena
August 21st, 2018, 07:14 AM
Have you tried to gently scrunch your hair after the shower or/and while it's drying? That could help it be more wavy :D

The contrary happens to me. The more damaged my hair is, the wavier. You can see it here:

https://i.gyazo.com/0b1b5aed0bc2cef4c91fb760696b8019.png

First picture is 5 years ago. Tons of hairdye, old brushes, heat, washing and conditioning everyday. You can see a lot of different textures. Humidity affected A LOT the pattern of the hair btw
Second is some months ago. Virgin hair, wash when needed, no heat, good brushes. Now I deal with straight hair and wavy ends xd It's weird. Tbh letting it grow natural was the only way to make my hair look even

school of fish
August 21st, 2018, 07:33 AM
Oh I've got this going on! My canopy is definite 1a and my underlayer is strong 2b - quite a span visually between the 2 textures!!!

I used to be 1a/b for 40 years until I had my 2nd baby - now it grows in this dual texture. For me it's pretty clear my texture change has been a hormonal thing, and it won't be changing back anytime soon. I do use henna, but it's been over a decade and I used it for years as a teenager as well, with no texture change other than some strand thickening.

The weird thing on me is that this pattern is still transitioning, so my ends from about waist to tbl are still pin straight, then this strong braid-wave looking pattern runs up from waist to scalp - it's going to be a while yet before I'll be able to see what my 'new' hair really looks like.

I'd guess the distibution to be about 2/3-3/4 2b underlayer and 1/3-1/4 1a canopy. My hair still 'reads' straight to the outside world, because of the placement of that distribution.

Interestingly, my hair also still prefers to be 'treated' as straight, carewise. Any of the traditional methods for encouraging waves create an unmanageble mess - perhaps this will change over time as the wavy hits the hemline, will have to see when I get there. In the meantime, it looks and behaves best when I shampoo, condition & comb frequently, and do no moisture-bumping things like CO, double-conditioning, oiling or leave-ins/serums.

I personally have found no method to bring the 2 textures together, aside from spiral-rolling the whole lot into curls. Sadly, my hair resists holding curl so that's not much of a solution either, hahaha!!

So... you're not alone ;) I wish I could offer more practical assistance, aside from enjoying your dual texture as a feature that makes you unique... It does keep things interesting :D

neko_kawaii
August 21st, 2018, 07:43 AM
*wave*

Similar texture differences here. As others have said, braid or bun waves will give a uniform texture. I think that rope braids are closest to my natural texture.

Re scrunching: while my hair holds what ever shape I give it fairly well, scrunching doesn’t do much to add shape for me. Plooping does though!

AmaryllisRed
August 21st, 2018, 07:51 AM
Yes I have that too. If I do a half-up bun I can give the impression of almost-curly hair. My underneath is tight s-waves. I used to hate it in high school because the waves would peek though my perfect straightness on top.

Plopping does help encourage more wave in the canopy.

Lady Stardust
August 21st, 2018, 08:19 AM
Oh I like your texture- you've got like a tousled mermaid hair thing going on! As far as the straight part hanging down lower, maybe see if you can find a stylist who will cut it dry. Like the same principal as a deva cut for curly hair...
I don't think it looks bad at all as is though!

Ha ha thank you, I’ll take tousled mermaid! I’ve thought of having it cut dry, I’ll keep that in mind as it grows to see what it does next! My hairdresser used to cut my hair dry when it was very short so it shouldn’t phase her too much :)

Have you tried to gently scrunch your hair after the shower or/and while it's drying? That could help it be more wavy :D

The contrary happens to me. The more damaged my hair is, the wavier. You can see it here:

https://i.gyazo.com/0b1b5aed0bc2cef4c91fb760696b8019.png

First picture is 5 years ago. Tons of hairdye, old brushes, heat, washing and conditioning everyday. You can see a lot of different textures. Humidity affected A LOT the pattern of the hair btw
Second is some months ago. Virgin hair, wash when needed, no heat, good brushes. Now I deal with straight hair and wavy ends xd It's weird. Tbh letting it grow natural was the only way to make my hair look even

Good suggestion, yes I’ve tried scrunching and plopping and both helped. But...maybe because my hair isn’t very long, it takes about 2 hours to descend when I take the towel off so I spend ages looking like Medusa. I’ve tried shaking it out but the ol’ head injury comes into play again. Something else to try later if my head starts behaving normally.

It’s fascinating isn’t it, how different we all are and how our hair likes to defy the rules. Your hair is looking lovely :)

Oh I've got this going on! My canopy is definite 1a and my underlayer is strong 2b - quite a span visually between the 2 textures!!!

I used to be 1a/b for 40 years until I had my 2nd baby - now it grows in this dual texture. For me it's pretty clear my texture change has been a hormonal thing, and it won't be changing back anytime soon. I do use henna, but it's been over a decade and I used it for years as a teenager as well, with no texture change other than some strand thickening.

The weird thing on me is that this pattern is still transitioning, so my ends from about waist to tbl are still pin straight, then this strong braid-wave looking pattern runs up from waist to scalp - it's going to be a while yet before I'll be able to see what my 'new' hair really looks like.

I'd guess the distibution to be about 2/3-3/4 2b underlayer and 1/3-1/4 1a canopy. My hair still 'reads' straight to the outside world, because of the placement of that distribution.

Interestingly, my hair also still prefers to be 'treated' as straight, carewise. Any of the traditional methods for encouraging waves create an unmanageble mess - perhaps this will change over time as the wavy hits the hemline, will have to see when I get there. In the meantime, it looks and behaves best when I shampoo, condition & comb frequently, and do no moisture-bumping things like CO, double-conditioning, oiling or leave-ins/serums.

I personally have found no method to bring the 2 textures together, aside from spiral-rolling the whole lot into curls. Sadly, my hair resists holding curl so that's not much of a solution either, hahaha!!

So... you're not alone ;) I wish I could offer more practical assistance, aside from enjoying your dual texture as a feature that makes you unique... It does keep things interesting :D

I’m pretty sure I had a texture change after I had my daughter. There was a slight amount of wave before that but it only showed when I had layers and disappeared when brushed. I couldn’t brush these waves out now, although I could a few months ago. The extra length has made a difference. Like yours, it “reads” as straight if I brush it, but these days there’s distinct bumpiness going on underneath.

It certainly is unique and interesting :) Mine seems to like moisture so I’ll carry on with that and see how it evolves!

*wave*

Similar texture differences here. As others have said, braid or bun waves will give a uniform texture. I think that rope braids are closest to my natural texture.

Re scrunching: while my hair holds what ever shape I give it fairly well, scrunching doesn’t do much to add shape for me. Plooping does though!

Thanks! I’m looking forward to seeing if my hair will stop defying gravity at some point so I can try plopping again :)

Lady Stardust
August 21st, 2018, 08:25 AM
Yes I have that too. If I do a half-up bun I can give the impression of almost-curly hair. My underneath is tight s-waves. I used to hate it in high school because the waves would peek though my perfect straightness on top.

Plopping does help encourage more wave in the canopy.

I’m certainly in good company here! I can see a lot of half ups in my future...at least on the days my hair is down. That’s one good thing, it doesn’t matter what the texture is doing when it’s up anyway!

Vivalagina
August 21st, 2018, 08:48 AM
I have 2b hair on the bottom half of my head and 1b hair in top. Nothing really makes the 1b hair wavier for more than an hour so I don't try anymore. I just do a half up if I want to show the waves.

lithostoic
August 21st, 2018, 11:22 AM
My hair is straighter in the front than in the back! I like half-up hairstyles. Maybe you would too :)

sugar&nutmeg
August 21st, 2018, 11:39 AM
Mine is the same. Straighter from ears to crown, much wavier from ears down (see my 2012 signature pic--it's about the same now).

When my hair is just slightly damp (almost dry) I sometimes do a half-up bun with a lot of twist. When my hair dries, I take the bun down, and the waves (gently finger-combed open) will remain. That way I can have all-wavy hair for a bit.

Lady Stardust
August 21st, 2018, 04:32 PM
I have 2b hair on the bottom half of my head and 1b hair in top. Nothing really makes the 1b hair wavier for more than an hour so I don't try anymore. I just do a half up if I want to show the waves.

My hair is straighter in the front than in the back! I like half-up hairstyles. Maybe you would too :)

Mine is the same. Straighter from ears to crown, much wavier from ears down (see my 2012 signature pic--it's about the same now).

When my hair is just slightly damp (almost dry) I sometimes do a half-up bun with a lot of twist. When my hair dries, I take the bun down, and the waves (gently finger-combed open) will remain. That way I can have all-wavy hair for a bit.

Thank you everyone! It sounds like half ups and bun waves are the order of the day. I really appreciate all your responses.

It occurred to me today that my face is a mix of my mum and dad - I have my dad’s hairline, forehead, eyes, cheekbones and nose. The bottom half of my face is more like my mum’s. Dad has very straight hair and Mum had wavy, so it looks like I got the canopy from Dad and the rest from Mum :)

LadyLongLocks
August 22nd, 2018, 11:09 AM
My under layer is wavy and outer straight. Always has been. I have learned to embrace it.

Lady Stardust
August 30th, 2018, 05:07 AM
My under layer is wavy and outer straight. Always has been. I have learned to embrace it.

Thank you for replying :) It’s encouraging to me that so many people are saying embrace it - I just need to work out how :) I’ll get there eventually. I’d much rather work with my hair than against it.

I got caught in the rain - again - and my hair went very bendy when it dried, even the straight bits. At least 1c on top and at least 2a underneath.

windflowers_mel
August 30th, 2018, 11:01 AM
My niece has hair like this. I think it’s kind of cool and unique.

Lady Stardust
August 30th, 2018, 03:03 PM
My niece has hair like this. I think it’s kind of cool and unique.

Yes it’s very versatile :) I’m just working on how to make it look intentional! It’s very strange to go from having sleek hair all my life to having texture appearing underneath. I’m sure it’ll get easier when I recover from the head injury, it’s really hampering what I can do at the moment.

I’m discovering that adding moisture to the canopy is affecting the wave - it’s 1c more consistently since I’ve started babying it, even after finger combing.

nycelle
August 30th, 2018, 03:24 PM
Yes it’s very versatile :) I’m just working on how to make it look intentional! It’s very strange to go from having sleek hair all my life to having texture appearing underneath. I’m sure it’ll get easier when I recover from the head injury, it’s really hampering what I can do at the moment.

I’m discovering that adding moisture to the canopy is affecting the wave - it’s 1c more consistently since I’ve started babying it, even after finger combing.

I'm in the same boat- straighter canopy, lots of swirls underneath.
Going CG has definitely improved my canopy though, and you're right, it's about the moisture - and for me sulfate and silicone free definitely helped. So don't give up if you want some waves!

Here's my original profile pic when I first joined- notice how straight my hair is.
The other two were taken last week. One after a wash, then the looser waves are what day 3 looks like. Huge difference between what my hair looked like originally, and what it looks like today.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=33136&d=1535663988

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=33137&d=1535664012

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=33138&d=1535664024

Lady Stardust
August 30th, 2018, 03:51 PM
nycelle wow what a difference! Your hair is lovely.

Thank you for the encouragement :) I’ve been sulphate and silicone free for a few years, although my hair was pixie length for some of those! I’ve started adding in more moisture generally over the last few months but only started concentrating on the canopy recently.

I know that a lot of people who do the curly girl method CO-wash but I don’t dare try it. I think it would be too heavy for my hair as I get over loaded with conditioner easily. I’ve also read that some people shed more, and I’m still patiently waiting for the thickness to travel down following postpartum shed so I don’t want to take any chances. I don’t think it matters as long as I make sure my hair has enough moisture.

The other thing I could try is miracle water or something similar as I live in a hard water area. I have a water softener but it isn’t the same as naturally soft water.

MusicalSpoons
August 30th, 2018, 03:51 PM
Wow, nycelle! That's incredible - inspires me to keep persevering with the extra moisture my hair is demanding, and maybe, just maybe, a clandestine wave or two might peek out at some point in the future.

I've been following this thread but didn't have anything to contribute; I'm pleased to hear it's making a difference for you :)

Lady Stardust
August 30th, 2018, 04:11 PM
Wow, nycelle! That's incredible - inspires me to keep persevering with the extra moisture my hair is demanding, and maybe, just maybe, a clandestine wave or two might peek out at some point in the future.

I've been following this thread but didn't have anything to contribute; I'm pleased to hear it's making a difference for you :)

Clandestine waves unite :) I look forward to hearing whether you try miracle water - you mentioned it in another thread recently. I hope the extra moisture reaps benefits for you, I’m sure it will!