PDA

View Full Version : I need some new advices and tips for curling hair.

Margarita
August 21st, 2018, 04:32 AM
Hello everyone. I havent upload any new photo of my hair growing-long journey. The good news is that my hair reached 14" length, and its about to reach my back. Keep in mind i see my original 14" length only when my hair is wet, my hair continues to shrink up to my neck when its curly and dry. I noticed a problem, my sides are slightly shorter and when i curl them, my hair creates a triangle shape and i hate it. After my hair wash, i add mousse to curl and scrunch my hair. I put a lot and i think that causes my hair to have bad hair days because they get ruined in the next day, being very loosely curls and kind of frizz. I have been confused if i need to scrunch my hair for a little while with mousse and let it air-dry to make my curls better. At the other, i have been confused if i need to scrunch my hair with mousse for a long time till it gets dry. I noticed the second one, its worse. Whats your opinion for this?
I also keep doing the 'squish to condish' method but, as always my hair roots cannot curl at all. I noticed my curls become loose as my hair grows long and it makes me worried about having wavy-straight hair when they grow longer.:rolleyes::confused:

OhSuzi
August 21st, 2018, 05:29 AM
Embrace the triangle? There is a french sounding name for this type of curly triangular bobstyle , it escapes me right now - but it’s a style I love!

Side partings might break it up a bit.

You could prob avoid it with layers? – ask a hair dresser to chop it into a non traingle style for you & then continue growing it out.

As your hair gets longer & heavier you might find that they only last a day before they start to drop.
Or you might find that its wavey with curls more at the end / on the underneath hair.
I don’t go to the hairdresser very often any more as I am growing out but still visit once a year and say chop into it to make it be as big and curly as possible please – lighter shorter layers on top means it stays curlier for me.

I have wavy curly hair that’s just past shoulder my routine is pretty simple – but you gotta just experiment & find what works for you.
I wash hair only bout once / twice a week.
With shampoo & then conditioner ( loreal extraodindary clay Shamp & conditioner)
Sometimes if I can be bothered I run a teeny tiny SMALL blob of curling crème through the ends.
Then ‘plop’ hair in a t shirt (look at some hair plopping videos on google) and either leave it like that for a coupla hours then air dry maybe with gentle scrunching every now and again as it dries
or sleep with hair plopped & then it’s pretty much dried into curls the next day.

They last about a day, theyre soft shiny not particularly frizzy & they are not hard and solid from mousse or hair spray.

I twist hair in lose bun whilst I sleep and I either spray a bit of dry shampoo and have a less curly but still pretty wild big hair day the next morning. Or if it’s getting very greasy / flat leave it in bun to hide any mess.
If you want proper curls but don’t really feel its dirty enough to wash again just make it wet with cold water & dry it using the plopping method – curlyness is back!

lapushka
August 21st, 2018, 10:02 AM
I would put product in wet hair and then: hands off until it is dry! Don't keep messing with it while it is drying that is the sure way to create frizz. I would chalk it up to an awkward phase and grow on. We all get those and you really need to get past it to grow longer.

If it truly bothers you, maybe go to a hairdresser to even it out, but you might end up with a let-down if they don't "Deva cut" (cut curls dry). If they cut it even while wet it might well shrink back up to the triangle. No, I would just deal with it and grow on!

Good luck!

We all get these phases, but you just have to hang in there! :flower:

And BTW it is normal not to curl straight out from the root especially with a pattern that isn't in the 4s!

Margarita
August 21st, 2018, 10:05 AM
I see, i also checked some tutorials for adding mousse to hair correctly. Im afraid cutting layers to my hair will be worse. I have thin to medium hair and since my mom is a hairstylist, she recommends layers for thicker hair so it can appear a bit thinner. I have a straight blunt bob, and i suppose that haircut creates a "weight" to the hair. I will continue searching for curl products and experiement. Bumble and Bumble has some amazing products. I tried once the plopping method it didnt work, maybe because my hair was too short. I will try it again soon. Unfortunaly, my own curls has a tedency of becoming VERY loose and a bit of frizzy when i try an updo. I dont know why, it makes me sad though. I guess my curls are not that <<strong>> to remain in a good definition and condition after an updo. However, since my hair roots are straight, and since my actual hair texture is not ringlet curls but strange waves, it becomes a struggle when it comes to curl my hair properly. Thanks for your comment!

Margarita
August 21st, 2018, 10:08 AM
I would put product in wet hair and then: hands off until it is dry! Don't keep messing with it while it is drying that is the sure way to create frizz. I would chalk it up to an awkward phase and grow on. We all get those and you really need to get past it to grow longer.

If it truly bothers you, maybe go to a hairdresser to even it out, but you might end up with a let-down if they don't "Deva cut" (cut curls dry). If they cut it even while wet it might well shrink back up to the triangle. No, I would just deal with it and grow on!

Good luck!

We all get these phases, but you just have to hang in there! :flower:

And BTW it is normal not to curl straight out from the root especially with a pattern that isn't in the 4s!

I will try and see what i can do. Thank you also for your comment.

Joules
August 21st, 2018, 12:23 PM
Unfortunaly, my own curls has a tedency of becoming VERY loose and a bit of frizzy when i try an updo. I dont know why, it makes me sad though. I guess my curls are not that <<strong>> to remain in a good definition and condition after an updo. However, since my hair roots are straight, and since my actual hair texture is not ringlet curls but strange waves, it becomes a struggle when it comes to curl my hair properly. Thanks for your comment!

I would suggest embracing your natural texture and not working against it. If it wants to be wavy rather than ringlety, then let it be wavy. Trying to change natural hair texture on a regular basis will inevitably result in some form of damage. Discovering your hair is a big part of the growing journey, consider this another discovery :flower:

Also, what kind of mousse are you using? Is it a regular styling mousse with alcohol and cones? Have you ever tried the Curly Girl method?

Margarita
August 21st, 2018, 01:02 PM
I would suggest embracing your natural texture and not working against it. If it wants to be wavy rather than ringlety, then let it be wavy. Trying to change natural hair texture on a regular basis will inevitably result in some form of damage. Discovering your hair is a big part of the growing journey, consider this another discovery :flower:

Also, what kind of mousse are you using? Is it a regular styling mousse with alcohol and cones? Have you ever tried the Curly Girl method?

Sadly, i still try to get over from OCD :laugh: Thats what makes me obssesed and stubborn :p But hey! That doesnt mean im not trying my best to embrace my hair!
The mousse i use is a proffesional one, and strong hold one. My mom bought it 4 years ago. Yes i know, i should buy another one. I doesnt contain alcohol i guess. I've tried the CG method, unfortunaly, my hair dislikes in general co-washing. So i stopped.

Margarita
August 22nd, 2018, 05:22 AM
UPDATE: I washed my hair today, did the 'squish to condish' method, and added a regular amound of mousse on my wet hair and let it air-dry. My hair have become curly but, the problem is that its scrunchy and "hard". Can i fix this? I guess my hair is completely dry now, no damp at all i think.

lapushka
August 22nd, 2018, 05:56 AM
Put a few drops of oil in the palm of your hand (just 2 drops!) and spread over palms then scrunch out the crunch - nothing new.

Margarita
August 22nd, 2018, 06:36 AM
Put a few drops of oil in the palm of your hand (just 2 drops!) and spread over palms then scrunch out the crunch - nothing new.

Its okay now, i fixed it. Thanks!

Obsidian
August 22nd, 2018, 07:37 AM
Have you tried not using the mousse and just using a curling cream? I have hair like yours, straightish on top, curlier in back with weak curls. Mousse has always made my hair frizzy. Most days I just don't fight it and let it hang how it wants but on days I do want curls, I do the squish to condish, pat dry then squish a little curl cream through.

It does pretty good this way but I never get root curls and never will, I'm just not curly enough. Someday I might try adding in some hair gel, see if it might help hold the curl better.

Margarita
August 22nd, 2018, 09:17 AM
Have you tried not using the mousse and just using a curling cream? I have hair like yours, straightish on top, curlier in back with weak curls. Mousse has always made my hair frizzy. Most days I just don't fight it and let it hang how it wants but on days I do want curls, I do the squish to condish, pat dry then squish a little curl cream through.

It does pretty good this way but I never get root curls and never will, I'm just not curly enough. Someday I might try adding in some hair gel, see if it might help hold the curl better.

Happy to hear theres a person with similar hair like mine. Im not enough curly, sadly. I had gorgeous curls from the roots when i was a child. Yes, i have a curl creme by Bb and i havent used it for a long time. I will use it again soon. I was putting cremes to curl and scrunch my hair but the curls were loose and "soft" and they couldnt hold strong for 3 days straight. I use a mousse now, ofcourse. If i use the mousse correctly as girls here advice me, my hair dont frizz. I've thinked many times putting some hair gel(not in my roots ofcourse) but im afraid it will make my hair hard like mousse does, and difficult to handle. It will also make my hair look oily and thinner ugh. I've heard hair gel cause baldness. Even if i put it only on my ends, im afraid there will be mistakes and damage.

Margarita
August 22nd, 2018, 09:19 AM

Happy to hear theres a person with similar hair like mine. Im not enough curly, sadly. I had gorgeous curls from the roots when i was a child. Yes, i have a curl creme by Bb and i havent used it for a long time. I will use it again soon. I was putting cremes to curl and scrunch my hair but the curls were loose and "soft" and they couldnt hold strong for 3 days straight. I use a mousse now, ofcourse. If i use the mousse correctly as girls here advice me, my hair dont frizz. I've thinked many times putting some hair gel(not in my roots ofcourse) but im afraid it will make my hair hard like mousse does, and difficult to handle. It will also make my hair look oily and thinner ugh. I've heard hair gel cause baldness. Even if i put it only on my ends, im afraid there will be mistakes and damage.

Margarita
August 22nd, 2018, 09:19 AM
ugh, seems like it posted twice

Obsidian
August 22nd, 2018, 01:34 PM
Three days is asking a lot. I'm happy if I can get curls to last a day. Once I sleep on them, they are gone.

Gel will make your hair crunchy, maybe more so than mousse but I suppose you can scrunch oil through to soften like with mousse.

Curl creams usually make my hair look oily. Its one reason I don't bother trying to cox them out more. The longer my hair gets, the more curl I loose.
Right now I have short hair but once I get to shoulder length, the weight pulls it into waves.