PDA

View Full Version : Talk some sense to me.

Julescarm
August 20th, 2018, 10:10 PM
I've been doing so good not dying my hair the last 7 years. Growing it good and getting rid of the damage. Tonight I decided to try sun in and a straightening iron which did nothing so I shampooed and did a deep conditioner treatment to keep my hair looking good. It was not a very good idea but I don't think I did damage. I found out I am pregnant after losing a baby prematurely and having a miscarriage. I'm only six weeks along but won't be telling anyone, not even my mom who is against me getting pregnant, though my husband knows. Its been rather stressful and I don't know whether I should dye my hair or what kind of dye to even use. I'm not sure if its a way for me to act out. I am excited to have another. Sorry about the long post. I'm rather lost in these changes.

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
August 20th, 2018, 10:41 PM
What color are you wanting to dye it? I'm guessing blonde since you did the sun-in? That might help to know for people to give recommendations.

I'm gonna say though I think you should just hold off and not dye it at all right away. It sounds like you've got some emotional stuff going on, and maybe it's not the best time to make any drastic changes you might regret later. If you do decide to dye it, I'd say go for something temporary that will eventually wash out if you hate it.

Julescarm
August 20th, 2018, 11:04 PM
I was gonna try for a copper tone since my hair is brown. I will think on it more. Nothing too terribly drastic. I had tried blonde and it didn't go good with my skin tone. I'm also worried about undoing all my hard work. I know it will grow back.

Alissalocks
August 20th, 2018, 11:28 PM
There's common two week rule... wait two weeks, and if you still want to do it just as bad? Go for it! But it might help give you a moment to consider carefully before doing anything drastic. I tend to take stress out on my hair too, so sometimes temporary color solutions can be fun but low impact on your hair's overall health.

Congratulations! :flower:

leayellena
August 21st, 2018, 12:14 AM
congrats for the baby! dyes are not recommended if you are pregnant, such as some shampoos and conditioners (!) read the instructions before buying it!
if you really want to dye your hair you should try henna. we have a special threads for henna lovers https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21. as I don´t use henna yet I can´t recommend a specific brand, sorry.
one more advice: instead of flat iron, try a deep conditioning for like 30 min. to 2 hours. or like the same amount of time you´d spent to flat iron your hair (?)
hope it helps.

Sarahlabyrinth
August 21st, 2018, 12:41 AM
Congrats on your pregnancy, it's an exciting and scary time. As for your hair, doing anything irreversible with it after emotional stress is not usually a good thing. The wait two weeks advice (or even a month or two) is good advice, because sudden changes to hair are often regretted later. Wait and see if the urge goes away, it may well do :)

Lady Stardust
August 21st, 2018, 02:26 AM
Congratulations on your pregnancy :)

Those early weeks can be really nerve wracking, and exhausting, so I don’t think now is the time to make a decision about dyeing your hair. It’s really hard when all you can do is wait, and I understand why you want something to make you feel better, to give yourself a bit of TLC.

For what it’s worth, my natural colour is medium brown (chestnut), and I once had copper lowlights put in and they faded to blonde really quickly, within 3 weeks, and didn’t show particularly well anyway. It wasn’t worth it, at all.

I hope you have some good news soon. I’m sorry that you’ve been through such a hard time.

LittleHealthy
August 21st, 2018, 04:20 AM
I agree with the comments saying that waiting is a good idea. All my bad hair decisions have happened during hormonal times when I’ve either been pregnant or post-partum!! This is not to say that what you want to do is a bad idea, but it seems you are a little unsure!
Also congratulations on taking such good care of your hair for 7 years!! This takes lots of patience and self control!

Good luck with your pregnancy, I am currently 34 weeks pregnant after I lost my last baby (a girl) at 16 weeks. There is hope for everyone <3 whatever will be, will be!

Obsidian
August 21st, 2018, 04:38 AM
I agree with the others, wait for any permanent changes until you aren't so emotionally charged.
If you really want to play with color, maybe try adore. It comes in a huge range of naturals colors, is temporary and has no harmful chemicals.

OhSuzi
August 21st, 2018, 04:48 AM
Hope all goes well xxxxx

As above I'd wait, dye it cause you really fancy a colour change and you've considered it for some time rather than on a whim.

I don’t think dying is recommended whilst pregnant – I don’t know if this a strict No No or more of a ‘just in case’.
A quick google would probably clarify what the risks might be / products you might get away with using e.g. perhaps a non permenant vegetable dye over super strong bleach if you’re insistant on changing your hair!
A lot of ‘not recommended things’ are tested and are prrrobably ok, but companies / labs / test subjects are not willing to use / be pregnant people –so they can not unequivicolly state ok to use - or like runny eggs, they’re prob ok but there is a small risk of getting ill / having a reaction and you prob wouldn’t want to risk anything that might affect pregnancy.

Also remember anything drastic and permanent you might use now will prob require root up keep and you might be less willing to dye your hair say 5 months down the line.

If you really wanted to have a change maybe dip dye just the ends with veg dye? – less chance of contact with skin, less maintenance, wont affect all your hair only the bottom and you could always have a large trim / a mini trim every month if it wrecks your hair / you just don’t like it.

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
August 21st, 2018, 05:35 AM
Also remember anything drastic and permanent you might use now will prob require root up keep and you might be less willing to dye your hair say 5 months down the line.

This is a really important point to consider. When you're further along in your pregnancy, and then later caring for a newborn, you may not have the time/energy/will to want to maintain a dye job.
Good luck with your pregnancy and whatever you decide to do with your hair!

spidermom
August 21st, 2018, 08:17 AM
Adding to the chorus of "dyeing is not recommended during pregnancy."

lapushka
August 21st, 2018, 09:55 AM
I would hold off on the dye, I really don't think it is such a good idea at this point; but that's just me personally. :flower: You do you.

Also there is the two-week rule, here's the thread:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=139091

I would stop acting things out on your hair. Just leave it alone at this point. The sun-in was probably more than enough!

*Wednesday*
August 21st, 2018, 10:14 AM
I agree 100% with spider mom. Congratulations on your pregnancy.

Given what you noted about having a baby prematurely and having a miscarriage, I hope you are referred to a perinatal doctor. Focus on your physical health and planning for a healthy pregnancy. That is the most important thing. Your hair will be there.

If you do color, just for practical reasons, you are going to be a new mom. When that child is born, you are going to be super consumed in a baby that will demand all your care. (I’ve had two, I know). I would opt for the simplest routine. In caring for a child, (not sure if you will be a working mom as well), how much “upkeep” do you want with your hair? Do you want to worry about keeping up roots? Unless you choose a color which will blend with your natural should you let it go, maybe not too drastic.

Dark40
August 21st, 2018, 10:58 AM
I was gonna try for a copper tone since my hair is brown. I will think on it more. Nothing too terribly drastic. I had tried blonde and it didn't go good with my skin tone. I'm also worried about undoing all my hard work. I know it will grow back.

Congrats on the baby! Why don't you try Nice N Easy's lightest blonde shade? Since you are looking for a copper tone. My natural hair color is also brown too, and I use Clairol Nice N Easy's Lightest Neutral Blonde all of the time, and I get a beautiful red or copper shade! On me, it comes out to more like a strawberry blonde or red shade.

WildandSeawhite
August 21st, 2018, 10:59 AM
Congratulations on your pregnancy!! Be easy on yourself. You’ve been through a lot. I just had a baby almost 6 months ago after experiencing a miscarriage. It really threw me for a loop!

It sounds like you’ve worked really hard to get where you are with your hair and done a great job! If you need a little pampering, maybe book a massage at a spa or get a deep conditioning hair treatment at a salon? If you just need a little change, could you try out some new hairstyles? A different type of braid or bun? Also, it’s common for your hair to get thicker and shinier during pregnancy. Mine did! That’s a fun change to look forward to!:)

MusicalSpoons
August 21st, 2018, 04:13 PM
Congratulations! It's understandable you're a bit all over the place, so the two week rule is most definitely an excellent idea. However I'm joining the chorus of 'dye in pregnancy is not a good idea' - vegetable dyes might be okay (you'd have to check), won't be permanent - good news if you don't like the result, and won't damage your hair. Have to say, I *love* the suggestion upthread of dip dyeing the ends in veg dye, if you do decide you want to do something to your hair! No dangers of absorption through the scalp, and no upkeep required unless you want to :D

Julescarm
August 21st, 2018, 04:31 PM
I think I had a really bad day yesterday. I have a 10 year old and a 2 year old. Chasing the 2 year old is no picnic. I've decided to not dye my hair. I've tried braiding and that has been a joke so far but fun. This pregnancy has gone really well so far and I'm not too worried about complications. I was upset yesterday because my midwife may be leaving and you can't find a good doctor around here worth anything.

Lady Stardust
August 21st, 2018, 04:36 PM
I think I had a really bad day yesterday. I have a 10 year old and a 2 year old. Chasing the 2 year old is no picnic. I've decided to not dye my hair. I've tried braiding and that has been a joke so far but fun. This pregnancy has gone really well so far and I'm not too worried about complications. I was upset yesterday because my midwife may be leaving and you can't find a good doctor around here worth anything.

Oh I’m glad you’re feeling better! I have a two year old as well so I know what that’s like...and I’m not dealing with pregnancy on top of it :)

Sorry to hear that your midwife may be leaving...still a maybe. It will all work out one way or another.

LittleHealthy
August 27th, 2018, 02:47 PM
Oh Julescarm, I can relate. My daughter is 3.5yrs old and yesterday we had, literally, the worst shopping experience of our lives. I’m 34 weeks pregnant, currently, and relatively unprepared. So we ventured the 2hrs into our nearest city, early in the morning, to grab the last minute things. It was a nightmare (usually she’s so helpful etc in the shops so I was completely blindsided).
I bawled my eyes out all the way home in the afternoon (unlike me to have to schedule in a bawling session but there I was :lol: )... Exhausted and emotionally unable to function. Later on last night I was putting my pre-wash oils into my hair and looking in the mirror, and was attacking myself mentally *my hair is NOT growing* *might as well cut it all off before the post partum shed - maybe another bob?* etc...

I don’t know why we do it to ourselves *facepalm* :D Our minds seem to go straight for that precious thing we have in the forefront of our minds at the time.

Julescarm
August 28th, 2018, 06:55 PM
Oh Julescarm, I can relate. My daughter is 3.5yrs old and yesterday we had, literally, the worst shopping experience of our lives. I’m 34 weeks pregnant, currently, and relatively unprepared. So we ventured the 2hrs into our nearest city, early in the morning, to grab the last minute things. It was a nightmare (usually she’s so helpful etc in the shops so I was completely blindsided).
I bawled my eyes out all the way home in the afternoon (unlike me to have to schedule in a bawling session but there I was :lol: )... Exhausted and emotionally unable to function. Later on last night I was putting my pre-wash oils into my hair and looking in the mirror, and was attacking myself mentally *my hair is NOT growing* *might as well cut it all off before the post partum shed - maybe another bob?* etc...

I don’t know why we do it to ourselves *facepalm* :D Our minds seem to go straight for that precious thing we have in the forefront of our minds at the time.

In so sorry you had a break down. Hormones are insane which most of us can attest to.
Well, I dyed my hair and I decided on my favorite color. Which is black. Maybe everyonw is being nice but they all say it is a subtle difference. And it looks good. After 24 hours I put a small amount maybe three drops of sweet almond oil in. The hair is not damaged. It came out very very nice. I used one bottle of dye and I have some brown strands and brownish ends but I love it. It is only a one time thing and ill have fun growing it out to natural. Even my ten year old said it looked amazing.
My midwife did move and I went to see another doctor today for slight spotting last night, ultrasound in the morning. No more spotting, so I'm guessing a cyst in early pregnancy. Thanks all for the advise and ill post a pic.