PDA

View Full Version : Curly hair journey (all hair type)

cheychey
August 20th, 2018, 03:41 PM
Hi everyone ! I don’t know if this thread already exist, but here we go!

If others wish to join in, do so at your own risk. or enjoy the read . ... ( at your own risk, as if we’re entering an abandoned house). this thread is for all/every hair type and texture.

let’s get started. How’s everyone’s curly hair journey going? how do you guys feel? when did you guys make the decision to go natural?

I have type 3 hair and I’ve been natural for almost a year, recovering from dehydrated hair, using the straightener, shaving/stylish haircuts and hair dye. (I was a wild child)

I never was taught how to take care of my curly hair, so straightening it was the way to go. I also thought straight hair was more beautiful and managable (thoughts influenced by society). Now that I’m older I’ve broken free from societies chains. I took going natural serious in spring2017. In one year I’ve straighten my hair twice (big improvements from the past). I’m doing my best to go the rest of the year curly without straightening it. both times my hair was straight it felt weird.

funny, because when my hair was always straight (forced into being straight) I always thought I looked weird with curly hair. now that I’m natural... seeing myself with straight hair looks weird! I am having fun with my natural hair, the curls give me life and a new natural look externally wise and they give me a wonderful feel internally.

It’s been challenging having patience and learning to love your natural hair, but the journey is absolutely worth it. I’ve learned to love myself more/better through embracing my natural hair.

my hair is improving day by day. for those that are frustrated, DON’T give up!!

p.s I threw away my straightener .... with change you have to be all in or all out and I’m all in baybay!

*Wednesday*
August 20th, 2018, 06:59 PM
They have a 3 club thread if you want to acquaint yourself with other members with your hair type.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=96338

lapushka
August 24th, 2018, 04:43 PM
I went "natural" (2b/c) in my 30s. Yes, that late. When I was going through puberty my hair changed from 1b/c to 2b/c, it got "poofy" all of a sudden and fluffy. I kept blow drying it straight as I'd always done, but I would be *so* surprised when I went to school the next day and got all foggy from the weather and it all fluffed out. And still I thought I had straight hair, difficult hair, but straight hair and so I continued to treat it that way.

It wasn't until the internet and people spreading the word (it was still early days), that I totally changed my hair routine.

ravenheather
August 25th, 2018, 06:01 AM
My daughter has 3a blonde hair. And I'm proud to say she loves it. She is 8 and is learning to care for it herself. She carefully detangles it with conditioner in the bath, but still needs help reaching it all in between times. The other day I dug a very dusty hair straighteners out to seal a package. She had no idea what that was for. And was horrified when I explained it. She said "Why would you ever straighten your hair!?"

lapushka
August 25th, 2018, 06:04 AM
My daughter has 3a blonde hair. And I'm proud to say she loves it. She is 8 and is learning to care for it herself. She carefully detangles it with conditioner in the bath, but still needs help reaching it all in between times. The other day I dug a very dusty hair straighteners out to seal a package. She had no idea what that was for. And was horrified when I explained it. She said "Why would you ever straighten your hair!?"

She's 8 now, and God knows, she might change her mind about that straightener. Which is perfectly fine as we all probably went through a stage like that. Anyway, puberty is still around the corner. ;) But it's lovely to see she loves her hair that much right now! :flower:

AutobotsAttack
August 25th, 2018, 11:04 PM
I mostly just let my hair do it’s own thing. I have tightly coiled hair that I chemically straighten. My hair Still behaves like it’s former self. I don’t use combs or brushes anymore, and mostly just shampoo my roots and keep a moisture/protein balance.

When my new growth comes in, it causes quite a bit of shrinkage, over half of my hair length, but I don’t mind.

MsKafka
September 8th, 2018, 10:48 AM
(Before I trashed my hair as of recent):

I have naturally thick wavy hair (about 2c, 3a according to hair type charts?) And I never treated it like it was curly and would just brush it out and treat it like I had naturally straight hair. Well, the result is my hair was always dry or very coarse and frizzy and I would just pass it off as "nature of the beast". However, I'm at the beginning process of starting over to fix my damaged hair and treating it right (finally). Lol